USC vs. NYU

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Doctopus

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
*Searched SDN and this thread does not exist (except for like 4 threads by pre-dents)

I'm having a very difficult time deciding between the following two terrific schools: NYU and USC. I view the schools as roughly comparable along the important dimensions, each being an expensive, upper-mid tier school in an excellent location with a generally happy student body that rocks STEP1 and enjoys superior clinical training! If you think I am mistaken in any aspect of the following analysis or if you think I missed something important, do let me know!

Cost:
Both are expensive private schools. (I do not anticipate any merit money.) New York's a more expensive city than LA, but I'll need a car/insurance in LA. Subsidized housing ($850) in the heart of Manhattan for NYU is pretty winning. I believe NYU's tuition is slightly higher than USC's once you factor in fees. Approximately tied.

Pre-Clinical Curriculum:
Both are P/F = happy student body. Both also are very geared to preparing students to rock STEP1. NYU is 1.5 year pre-clinical, allowing for a rotation or two before STEP1. (Many people seem to think this really cements their knowledge; any contrary views?) USC also seems very geared to STEP1, utilizing cumulative exams at the end of the year and a final cumulative block at the end of second year preceding something like 6 weeks free before STEP1. I'm probably the only one to say this but I sort of like that--according to SDN--NYU tests every 2-3 weeks whereas USC only tests at the end of a block (4-5 weeks). If a school is P/F, it strikes me that more tests = being encouraged to be more on top of the material. Anyone else feel this way? Approximately tied.

Clinical:
Both great options. Bellevue has an excellent reputation; LA County, by virtue of having lots of medicaid patients cycle through it, is supposed to provide for excellent "intern lite" training for USC-Keck students. (I know its reputation is superlative, but does anyone know how much hands-on training one gets as a *med student* at Bellevue?) Approximately tied.

New York City may be the most happening city on Earth (but how much time will I really have to enjoy it?). USC is also well-situated in LA, though its actual location in Compton leaves something to be desired. California does not have a winter, though, and I love skating/surfing/athletic-type stuff. Moreover, my family is in SoCal. Slight edge to USC (given my personal situation).

Camaraderie of student body:
NYU offers subsidized dorms in the heart of Manhattan. Students are on their own to find apartments with USC, and are usually fairly far away from the medical school (pasadena, Monterey, Silverlake). I'm somewhat concerned that USC is a commuter campus/that I may miss out on the chance to form really deep connections like I might living all in one place with classmates at NYU. At the same time, my ultimate destination professionally is *probably* California, so who knows how much said connections would count for. Edge NYU.

Writing this post out, I sort of see why I'm sweating the decision so much. I'm basically giving NYU a slight edge, yet--for personal reasons--I am currently pretty sure I'm going to go to USC. Any additional insights/corrections are greatly appreciated. The next four years of my life depend on them (though I don't think there's a wrong answer, per se)!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I would go to NYU:

Because since you're from SoCal, this is your chance to establish connections to the east coast. I've heard that it is somewhat difficult to get a residency in an area where you have absolutely no connections, so if you go to NYU, you will establish ties to the northeast, which is full of excellent medical institutions. If you've never been exposed to the northeast in any way, this is your chance! And when you go to apply for residency, you'll have ties to both ends of the US, and will not have a regional disadvantage (at least for the two US seaboards... unless you suddenly have a hankering for rural midwest.)
**This is just something to consider, and should not be the sole factor upon which you base your decision! Regionality, from what I've heard, confers a very slight advantage, and pales in comparison to other factors like cost and happiness.

Either way, both schools are absolutely excellent so congratulations on your acceptances! Remember, if you happen to feel you "fit" better at one of the two schools, definitely go to that school! Good luck!

Members don't see this ad :)
While I can't really comment on your situation because it does seem like you have a personal decision to make, I just want to point out that there is always time to explore NYC. Having gone through a rigorous undergrad education here, and having several friends at NYUSOM already, there is really very little that you WON'T get to do throughout your four years here. It's incredibly easy to go anywhere you want within the five boroughs without planning a day trip.

I personally wouldn't leave NYC for all the money in the world. There must be something in the air... probably cocaine.

I would go to NYU:

Because since you're from SoCal, this is your chance to establish connections to the east coast. I've heard that it is somewhat difficult to get a residency in an area where you have absolutely no connections, so if you go to NYU, you will establish ties to the northeast, which is full of excellent medical institutions. If you've never been exposed to the northeast in any way, this is your chance! And when you go to apply for residency, you'll have ties to both ends of the US, and will not have a regional disadvantage (at least for the two US seaboards... unless you suddenly have a hankering for rural midwest.)
**This is just something to consider, and should not be the sole factor upon which you base your decision! Regionality, from what I've heard, confers a very slight advantage, and pales in comparison to other factors like cost and happiness.

Either way, both schools are absolutely excellent so congratulations on your acceptances! Remember, if you happen to feel you "fit" better at one of the two schools, definitely go to that school! Good luck!

I second this. The advantage often comes from the relative ease of doing away rotations, and the resulting networking.

However, if you plan to stay in Cal, then USC might be a more reasonable choice.

be like me and get out of socal for a while. go to nyu!

USC, weather in the northeast is miserable, after a year you will be longing for the warm winter days of so cal

Obvious location decision which no one can really advise you on. No different than asking people where to live after med school.

I think the best way to choose is to try and write and send withdrawal emails at both schools. It will be more difficult to hit send for one of the emails, and you just goto that school.

Camaraderie of student body:
NYU offers subsidized dorms in the heart of Manhattan. Students are on their own to find apartments with USC, and are usually fairly far away from the medical school (pasadena, Monterey, Silverlake). I'm somewhat concerned that USC is a commuter campus/that I may miss out on the chance to form really deep connections like I might living all in one place with classmates at NYU. At the same time, my ultimate destination professionally is *probably* California, so who knows how much said connections would count for. Edge NYU.

I also got into USC and this was my main concern. No one lives in the area around campus so I was definitely concerned about the campus community environment. On my interview day, I talked to a bunch of current students (that just happened to be walking by) and they all agreed that the camaraderie at USC is amazing. Despite people living in different locations around LA, they all have many social gatherings, explore together, hang-out etc. It really helped to reassure me. Plus (as I'm sure you already know since you have family in socal), LA is basically a commuter city. You have to drive EVERYWHERE!!! But you also have so many hidden gems. Personally, I'm excited that attending USC would give me more exposure to other areas in LA I have yet to explore.

I would go to NYU:

I agree that NYU would give you the connections you need to land residency on the east coast, but I don't think having family in california is enough of a "tie" to give you the slight advantage in west coast residencies. Attending USC however...you will be able to network and make those connections.

At first I really wanted to leave california to explore another part of the country. But ultimately, I want to end up in California so going to USC will give me the connections I really need to make.

Boyle Heights is many things; Compton, it is not.

yikes--don't know how I came under that mis-impression! Gotta retroactively add a point to the USC side of the ledger given it's situated in a better area than I thought it was.

Boyle heights/East LA isn't much better. Keck is across the street from a youth prison.

I went to both USC and NYU at one time or another during undergrad. I lived in campus housing at both places as well. The housing at least for undergrads at NYU is substandard and don't think that just because you live in the same vicinity as people that they are going to be more socially open to you. I had a much easier time meeting people and being social at USC than I did at NYU and I am a native New Yorker. Let me put it this way, I went to USC first and transferred to NYU, but after 1 semester I was back at USC. I don't know what type of person that you are, but the people that go to USC and those who go to NYU, in my experience, are very different in their attitudes and the way that they interact, not better or worse just different. The only drawback for me regarding Keck is the distance from the main campus. The univ park campus at SC is vibrant and beautiful, more so than the health campus. But, at least there is a campus, at NYU there is none at all.

Interesting points, uptothecatch. Couple responses:

The med student housing at NYU is pretty sweet. $850/mo, usually living with a few other people, but in the heart of manhattan, game room, exercise room, right across the street from campus. And I do think living together with classmates (in manhattan!) is a pretty sweet feature that would cement lasting ties.

It's funny you mention the type of people who go to USC vs. NYU. I've also noticed--I think!??--that East Coast people are a little "harsher" than my West coast brethren. This is one reason I'm favoring USC despite the aforementioned housing situation.

Status
Not open for further replies.