USC cost of attendance is 130K for the 1st year

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Wait, what?

His post "that kid is probably reading this and is betting all his eggs on getting the 3 year AF HPSP in his second year at USC" literally gave you a notification? What? You're not even tagged in it.

Members don't see this ad.

Wait, what?

His post "that kid is probably reading this and is betting all his eggs on getting the 3 year AF HPSP in his second year at USC" literally gave you a notification? What? You're not even tagged in it.

let us all calm down. I tagged him in it but then removed it so other people will not know him specifically but I am freed from the "talking behind someone's back" and "making cheap shot"

this is simply an example. that is all.

let us all calm down. I tagged him in it but then removed it so other people will not know him specifically but I am freed from the "talking behind someone's back" and "making cheap shot"

this is simply an example. that is all.

Oh, well if that's the case I guess I should apologize to @Cal Dental for being brash. My bad!

Members don't see this ad :)
is this real? will we even make that much working 1 year as a dentist woooowwwww

is this real? will we even make that much working 1 year as a dentist woooowwwww

you can make more than that working in some areas your first years out of school but not in south CA.

btw, keep in mind that the interest of this debt is the important factor not the debt itself.

if i can take out 700k debt at 1% interest, i will take out in a heart beat, but not at 6.8%

I'm not going to answer that question to satisfy your needs but what I am going to do is take responsibility for everything that I said before including the beaches, hot girls, PBL, etc. Lol. That's my preference and I do not represent ALL of USC's applicants. Everyone seems to base their arguments about USC off of what I said and nothing else. LOL. I am still wondering why apply though and attend the interview if you don't like the school @Confused321.

what are you even babbling about? when did I ever say I applied to USC?
unlike you I would never intentionally put myself in a million dollars of debt for the rest of my life.

what is the point you are trying to get at here?
this thread is made to discuss the "cost of attendance is 130k for USC for the first year", nobody is talking behind your back.

basically you try to oppress free speech of pre-dental students on SDN. anyone is free to comment about any school.

they just don't want to hear the truth.

If you guys think USC dental is a rip off, just be happy you're not pursuing a degree in pharmacy or art there...you will never pay off those loans. Think of USC dental as the least of all evils...you will pay off your debts even though it takes longer than most.

If you guys think USC dental is a rip off, just be happy you're not pursuing a degree in pharmacy or art there...you will never pay off those loans. Think of USC dental as the least of all evils...you will pay off your debts even though it takes longer than most.

the financial aid representative for USC dental school stated that their graduates make only 80K annually for the first few years in California.
500K debt and rising with an 80K annual salary doesn't seem any better than what USC pharmacists have to deal with.

couldn't you have saved around 100K if you went to Western instead of UW?
what made you decide against WesternU?
A large part of deciding not to go to western was because although their school was really great (humanistic approach and very different method of teaching/giving exams) I didn't feel like there was much there in the surrounding environment. And safety was a big issue. One of the students said something about someone being shot. hahaha. And I'm not set on coming back to hawaii to practice so if I'm moving away for D school, I wanted to go to a place that was really culturally rich/diverse/etc for more networking opportunities and a possibility that I'd want to practice there.

But also, Western told me I was accepted after I already put down the UW deposit. So I was like ok **** it. haha
And there was COMPLETE silence from western after my interview for about 4 months.

Members don't see this ad :)
the financial aid representative for USC dental school stated that their graduates make only 80K annually for the first few years in California.
500K debt and rising with an 80K annual salary doesn't seem any better than what USC pharmacists have to deal with.
That's not a reason to choose your career. Pharmacy is a completely different career...

A large part of deciding not to go to western was because although their school was really great (humanistic approach and very different method of teaching/giving exams) I didn't feel like there was much there in the surrounding environment. And safety was a big issue. One of the students said something about someone being shot. hahaha. And I'm not set on coming back to hawaii to practice so if I'm moving away for D school, I wanted to go to a place that was really culturally rich/diverse/etc for more networking opportunities and a possibility that I'd want to practice there.

theres going to be crime like that in washington too, are you taking out full loans for the entire 530K of UW?

80K?? is that AFTER tax and loan repayment?

theres going to be crime like that in washington too, are you taking out full loans for the entire 530K of UW?
Think UW has an agreement for WICHE. Should be cheaper for hawaii residents.

Reactions: 1 users

so they get in state tuition for all 4 years? or do they get residence after 1 year more easily?

... you can't be serious, shouldn't the 80K reach 120K after like 2-3 years?

yea, but practicing in CA (especially SoCal) that is what you have to accept, while most other places, you start 120k. Some places in texas starts like 150k.

or even better, some places start 120k but give you 50k for loan repayment (rural places)

surely there must be rural areas in California where one can bring in 120K starting?
Actually, that earlier calculation was assuming that they made a 150K starting salary.
If people want to attend USC then chances are they want to work in California, and if 80K is starting
then its going to take alot longer than just 20 years to pay off that million dollar debt including interest.

surely there must be rural areas in California where one can bring in 120K starting?
Actually, that earlier calculation was assuming that they made a 150K starting salary.
If people want to attend USC then chances are they want to work in California, and if 80K is starting
then its going to take alot longer than just 20 years to pay off that million dollar debt including interest.

Forget it. The school is basically for kids who have alternative sources of funding (parents, whatever). Of course they won't admit it, because why not sign up naive pre-dents for a lifetime of debt? I must say, they aren't the only school that costs this much; but they and NYU were the ones to pioneer this trend.

Forget it. The school is basically for kids who have alternative sources of funding (parents, whatever). Of course they won't admit it, because why not sign up naive pre-dents for a lifetime of debt? I must say, they aren't the only school that costs this much; but they and NYU were the ones to pioneer this trend.

to think there are people all stressing out about being in 350K-400K debt from most dental schools, these USC applicants are all fine and happy with being in 500K+ debt.
rich parents..... makes sense now.

to think there are people all stressing out about being in 350K-400K debt from most dental schools, these USC applicants are all fine and happy with being in 500K+ debt.
rich parents..... makes sense now.

they think getting accepted to USC is still a dream that they dont want to wake up from though.

anyways, peace out.

unfortunately yes. Although I'm still waiting on my WICHE award results. If I do get it, it will help with out 30k a year.

Its not as simple as just an agreement made between two states. Applicants form WICHE states who would like to get WICHE funding must apply for it. Then they are ranked against all other dental school applicants from their home state for that application cycle. Then the top whatever amount of people get awards (number of awards vary depending on funding available for the state). There are only two awards for the entire state of Hawaii....so i have to be at least second best applicant in the entire state for a chance at WICHE funding.... haha indeed very gloomy outlook.

Reactions: 5 users
Its not as simple as just an agreement made between two states. Applicants form WICHE states who would like to get WICHE funding must apply for it. Then they are ranked against all other dental school applicants from their home state for that application cycle. Then the top whatever amount of people get awards (number of awards vary depending on funding available for the state). There are only two awards for the entire state of Hawaii....so i have to be at least second best applicant in the entire state for a chance at WICHE funding.... haha indeed very gloomy outlook.

Dang, I had no idea. I hope you get it!

Reactions: 1 user
unfortunately yes. Although I'm still waiting on my WICHE award results. If I do get it, it will help with out 30k a year.

at least you're not from California, where everyone has to go out of state anyway cause its so hard to get into UCLA/UCSF and can't qualify for WICHE

at least you're not from California, where everyone has to go out of state anyway cause its so hard to get into UCLA/UCSF and can't qualify for WICHE

what are you talking about?

there is USC in warm SoCal
and also Western, Loma Linda, UOP,

yes, its hard for Californians to go out of state and successfully get into the schools that give in state after one year or else they still have to settle for the less expensive private school or the public schools that charge full OOS tuition for 4 years

what I meant is that UCSF and UCLA are really hard to get into, probably as hard as getting into UPenn and Columbia.
Which sucks for Californians that want to pay in state tuition for dental school.

I know of several Californians that got into USC but still attend an out of state private school, cause even out of state private schools cost 100K less than USC, when you include living expense.
and because of horrible LA traffic, even if you live a few miles away from USC you would still likely have to rent an apartment anyway, resulting in 500K for total costs for most students.

Last edited:
what I meant is that UCSF and UCLA are really hard to get into, probably as hard as getting into UPenn and Columbia.
Which sucks for Californians that want to pay in state tuition for dental school.
believe me when i say that californians don't want to pay their state's in-state tuition either
It will still dig you a post-graduate 350k hole ;)

funny thing is that there are still OOS private schools that will cost less to attend like marquette and creighton (off the top of my head)

Reactions: 2 users
believe me when i say that californians don't want to pay their state's in-state tuition either

funny thing is that there are still OOS private schools that will cost less to attend like marquette and creighton (off the top of my head)

350K for California residents? doesn't seem like UCSF would break 300K even if you include living expenses.

https://registrar.ucsf.edu/registration/fees/dentistry

that is ur gross income (before tax, before loan repayment).

yea how can you make much when majority of CA residents are on MediCal

I think what is worse is that you have to get multiple part-time gigs to have a full-time schedule.

350K for California residents? doesn't seem like UCSF would break 300K even if you include living expenses.

Both UCSF and UCLA are more than 300k now if you include living expenses

Last edited:
with living expenses, UCLA costs 315K and UCSF costs 330K, barely cheaper than private schools.
chances are that the students that enroll in these two programs are going to work in California, where its saturated and salary is low.
defeats the purpose of going to a slightly less expensive school if you're salary is significantly lower than dentists from other states anyway.

The UC aren't shy of annual tuition increase + factor in interest on unsubsidized loans will get you to 350k post-graduate easily.

This one is easier to read: https://finaid.ucsf.edu/newly-admitted-students/cost-attendance
UCSF is 330k as their estimated CoA.

Their estimate on living expenses is egregiously high, but it IS SF/bay so it actually isnt that far fetch. And they also pretend you only exist for the 9 months during your first two years so there's that too. I see that they dont budget separately for boards, licensing, loupes, or computer either; those aint cheap and my school accounts for those in our CoA. Their estimated loan fee is only 216 too. Grad plus loan origination fee is 4.272%... So go figure, they assume you're only taking out couple of thousands in loans?

Last edited:
The UC aren't shy of annual tuition increase + factor in interest on unsubsidized loans will get you to 350k post-graduate easily.

This one is easier to read: https://finaid.ucsf.edu/newly-admitted-students/cost-attendance
UCSF is 330k as their estimated CoA.

Their estimate on living expenses is egregiously high, but it IS SF/bay so it actually isnt that far fetch. And they also pretend you only exist for the 9 months during your first two years so there's that too. I see that they dont budget separately for boards, licensing, loupes, or computer either; those aint cheap and my school accounts for those in our CoA. Their estimated loan fee is only 216 too. Grad plus loan origination fee is 4.272%... So go figure, they assume you're only taking out couple of thousands in loans?

http://dentistry.usc.edu/programs/dds/cost-of-attendance/

a user earlier noted that USC also doesn't include everything for their cost of attendance on their website
I noticed they also didn't include boards either, can you see anything else that they're missing?

and even schools like Detroit, Harvard, Boston, Case, and Lecom are only 20K-50K more expensive than UCLA and UCSF's in state with living expense, according to doc toothaches guide.

and even schools like Detroit, Harvard, Boston, Case, and Lecom are only 20K-50K more expensive than UCLA and UCSF's in state with living expense, according to doc toothaches guide.

well even though 350K is expensive, its still 150K cheaper than attending USC.
USC students have expressed how they are basically never busy with work and have so much free time, resulting in weak clinical experience and training.
having the highest debt for dental education in the country, weak clinical skills, and a saturated surrounding market, I can't think of a worse situation for a new dentist to be in.

@Cal Dental
@bb2014

can you two please take a minute to respond to the extremely negative comment musicplease leaves for your school? and how future pre-dents should totally pick USC?

@Cal Dental
@bb2014

can you two please take a minute to respond to the extremely negative comment musicplease leaves for your school? and how future pre-dents should totally pick USC?

Cali sunshine, hot girls and PBL duh. He/she is comparing USC to public schools, of course public schools are going to be cheaper, but harder to get into especially in CA. Like what I said, if you don't like USC, don't apply.

Cali sunshine, hot girls and PBL duh. He/she is comparing USC to public schools, of course public schools are going to be cheaper, but harder to get into especially in CA. Like what I said, if you don't like it USC, don't apply.
don't forget the hot beaches.

Reactions: 6 users
Cali sunshine, hot girls and PBL duh. He/she is comparing USC to public schools, of course public schools are going to be cheaper, but harder to get into especially in CA. Like what I said, if you don't like USC, don't apply.

Detroit, Harvard, Boston, Case, and Lecom are all private schools though. None of them is public.

I am serious in asking what are the professionally good qualities you see in USC program that makes you prefer it over other programs you are introduced to?

Detroit, Harvard, Boston, Case, and Lecom are all private schools though. None of them is public.

I am serious in asking what are the professionally good qualities you see in USC program that makes you prefer it over other programs you are introduced to?

They're all expensive. USC just happened to be THE most expensive. USC is close to my home (10-15 mins), my mother is an alumni, I've seen her succeed with virtually nothing in the most expensive dental school in the US and pay off all of her loans within 7-8 years. If she can do that without much support, I'm pretty sure I'll be fine with some support. Also, USC offers several residency programs where students can shadow on their own time and network with the residents. Other than the price, what are the professionally good qualities you see in (insert your program here) that makes you prefer it over other programs you are introduced to? It's hard to believe you're not darknightzzz because you fit the profile perfectly and he seems to be missing this time around. He should've been here posting a couple of days ago. All you talk about is the price, so what are those professionally good qualities that you see in other schools?

They're all expensive. USC just happened to be THE most expensive. USC is close to my home (10-15 mins), my mother is an alumni, I've seen her succeed with virtually nothing in the most expensive dental school in the US and pay off all of her loans within 7-8 years. If she can do that without much support, I'm pretty sure I'll be fine with some support. Also, USC offers several residency programs where students can shadow on their own time and network with the residents. Other than the price, what are the professionally good qualities you see in (insert your program here) that makes you prefer it over other programs you are introduced to? It's hard to believe you're not darknightzzz because you fit the profile perfectly and he seems to be missing this time around. He should've been here posting a couple of days ago. All you talk about is the price, so what are those professionally good qualities that you see in other schools?

I gotta agree with you here.

If price wasn't an issue, I wouldn't definitely pick USC over a lot of newer dental schools (touro, lecom, etc.).