USC Applicants, Students, Graduates

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Im 40/80 on the waitlist and i haven't heard anything from usc. i also haven't sent in the financial aid stuff that is due like um..a month ago? i dunno if my not sending in those basic financial aid stuff would influence their decision.

Unless you're an international student (and this is based on the assumption they're required to provide proof of ability to pay for their schooling due to lack of federal financial aid) I'd say that's not taken into account. However, if you haven't sent in the forms, you may not get financial aid (at least federally) this year, so you might have to pay out of pocket or through private loans. I'd call finaid dept on this one. I made sure I got all my forms in on time, even though I wasn't accepted until after the Fin Aid deadlines, because I didn't want to have to pay for this all by myself.

Members don't see this ad.

Anybody got accepted to USC with GPA around 3.0? (But with pharmacy work experience and lots of EC)!!!

after looking at google maps, south pasadena looks like a reasonable area to live in being only 8 miles from campus. Can anyone comment on the morning commute taking 110 south?

Members don't see this ad :)
Are financial aid awards up yet? Nothing shows up on my Oasis anymore, not even the documents that are recieved. Well.. just making sure I'm not the only one.

Are financial aid awards up yet? Nothing shows up on my Oasis anymore, not even the documents that are recieved. Well.. just making sure I'm not the only one.

I'll check. You going to the Welcome Reception tomorrow?

edit: Last updated 5/8/07, my application is being reviewed.

All my stuff is still there. You sure you didn't accidently pick the 06-07 year instead of 07-08

I'll check. You going to the Welcome Reception tomorrow?

edit: Last updated 5/8/07, my application is being reviewed.

All my stuff is still there. You sure you didn't accidently pick the 06-07 year instead of 07-08

Thanks for the reply, yeah.. actually I clicked on Fin. Aid summary, when I click on Fin. aid documents I'm still being reviewed as well.

And no I am not going to the reception anymore, too far of a drive lol, hopefully my fellow USC SDNers will just update about the experience ;)

I met Farmercyst at the USC Welcome Reception! He's definitely a cool guy. :cool:
I think he should run for class president. hahaha.

They said 90% of P1 financial aid docs had been reviewed and award letters would be out shortly, definitely by early July, but they said possibly as early as next week.

I really had a good time at the USC reception tonight and I am really looking forward too getting to know my classmate.:)

OMG!!! I got an email yesterday from usc about the orientation letter mix-up but i am just a waitlister, so I called and verified it today, and I AM IN!!!:biglove: They told me they mailed out my big envelope today. I can't wait to see all of you guys in the fall. How was the reception? Other waitlisters out there don't give up hope and try to send in your final transcripts as soon as possible. Look forward to seeing everyone in the fall. woot woot :D.

OMG!!! I got an email yesterday from usc about the orientation letter mix-up but i am just a waitlister, so I called and verified it today, and I AM IN!!!:biglove: They told me they mailed out my big envelope today. I can't wait to see all of you guys in the fall. How was the reception? Other waitlisters out there don't give up hope and try to send in your final transcripts as soon as possible. Look forward to seeing everyone in the fall. woot woot :D.

Mucho congrats.

You didn't miss much. We stood in the quad while they pointed at buildings and named them. Listened to a finaid presentation where they said, you'll be paying for school with loans. Then the intro to the school was hohum. The Q/A session was ok. Basically the 8-12 M-F for first year is really like 8-4 MT, 8-12 WTH, except for our externships which are 4 wks 1-6, and F from 8-3. The second year is 1-5 except for the 6 week IV rotation. The externships and IV rotation appear to have little input from us. Externships we can give preference for site, but there's no guarantee. IV rotation they tell you when you'll start. It sounds like you may be able to trade, it wasn't 100% clear. The Q/A sessions were done in groups by last name. I forget how many groups, but anyway mine wouldn't be the same as everyone else's. The meet/greet afterward was pretty chill. Good food. Not entirely sure it was worth the drive, but I did get something out of it.

Mucho congrats.

You didn't miss much. We stood in the quad while they pointed at buildings and named them. Listened to a finaid presentation where they said, you'll be paying for school with loans. Then the intro to the school was hohum. The Q/A session was ok. Basically the 8-12 M-F for first year is really like 8-4 MT, 8-12 WTH, except for our externships which are 4 wks 1-6, and F from 8-3. The second year is 1-5 except for the 6 week IV rotation. The externships and IV rotation appear to have little input from us. Externships we can give preference for site, but there's no guarantee. IV rotation they tell you when you'll start. It sounds like you may be able to trade, it wasn't 100% clear. The Q/A sessions were done in groups by last name. I forget how many groups, but anyway mine wouldn't be the same as everyone else's. The meet/greet afterward was pretty chill. Good food. Not entirely sure it was worth the drive, but I did get something out of it.

Why is our class schedule so variable? I thought we have school strictly from 8-12pm! This is so strange. Can someone provide further clarifications on the schedule?

Members don't see this ad :)
Mucho congrats.

Thanks Farmercyst, I think i saw you at the march 17th interview, but I didn't say anything. I can see why eveyone says such great things about you. I look forward to seeing everyone in the fall.

Why is our class schedule so variable? I thought we have school strictly from 8-12pm! This is so strange. Can someone provide further clarifications on the schedule?

During your first year you'll have an externship class for a short period of time (if I recall correctly, there are 3 rotations per semester to accomodate all the students). So during that externship, you will have class on Mondays or Tuesdays from 8-4pm (maybe 5pm?) and then you'll have another 2 days (Wed & Thurs) at your externship site from 1-5pm (maybe 6pm?). I'm not sure if it's still the same, but during my 1st year, on Fridays we had a once a week class on Friday afternoons from 1-3pm (I'm a little fuzzy on the exact times, but you get the gist of it... feeling a little old now :()

During your first year you'll have an externship class for a short period of time (if I recall correctly, there are 3 rotations per semester to accomodate all the students). So during that externship, you will have class on Mondays or Tuesdays from 8-4pm (maybe 5pm?) and then you'll have another 2 days (Wed & Thurs) at your externship site from 1-5pm (maybe 6pm?). I'm not sure if it's still the same, but during my 1st year, on Fridays we had a once a week class on Friday afternoons from 1-3pm (I'm a little fuzzy on the exact times, but you get the gist of it... feeling a little old now :()

What is the difference between interships/externships? If possible, please describe your experience at USC's externships during the first year. Thank you!

What is the difference between interships/externships? If possible, please describe your experience at USC's externships during the first year. Thank you!

As far as I know, externships are when you don't get paid, instead you receive a grade for a class. I'm not sure if all internships are paid; I know the big chains offer summer internships with structured programs, but I'd do some research to find out if those are paid or not. But as an intern pharmacist, when you work, whether it be at a hospital or community pharmacy, you will be compensated.

As for externship during the 1st year, you'll get one semester of community and the other semester will be in a hospital. If I remember correctly, the rotation lasts about 4 weeks. During those 4 weeks, you'll have a class that meets weekly where you'll discuss things that pertain to either hospital or community, in a group discussion. Then on the other 2 days, you'll go to your assigned externship site and just do whatever they tell you do to. Some ppl really enjoyed it, while others, like myself, could've done without, but it really depends on where you are placed and on your preceptors.

This jives with what I remember.

Congras!!!

Could you tell me your number on the waitlist?

Thanks

Congras!!!

Could you tell me your number on the waitlist?

Thanks

Thanks, I was "approximately" number 25/80 when the number were first mailed out to us. I know they recieved my last transcripts in yhe middle of last week so that might have helped me out. I hope that was helpful, and good luck I know what you must be going through, just waiting. Don't give up hope.

Did everyone get their white coat RSVP letter? I actually just left my apartment and won't be able to recieve the letter till late next weekm, could someone please tell me the deadline to respond to the letter?

Thanks a lot!

I can tell you guys that the last student who got accepted into our class...I'm not sure what # on the waiting list.. became the class president our 4th year.

Class presidents during 1st and 2nd year were both my roomies... during 1st and 2nd year.

Me.. Joe nobody.

Did everyone get their white coat RSVP letter? I actually just left my apartment and won't be able to recieve the letter till late next weekm, could someone please tell me the deadline to respond to the letter?

Thanks a lot!

Hey PolarBear21,
-----------------------
White Coat Size info:

X Small 28 30
Small 32 34
Medium 36 38
Large 40 42
X Large 44 46
XX Large 48 50
XXX Large 52 54 56

Please respond via e-mail by June 30, 2007 as follow:

To: [email protected]
CC: [email protected]
Subject: School of Pharmacy White Coat Selection

Give your name and USC ID and your coat size selected from above. To avoid mix-ups make certain your e-mail is set as above and you indicate Pharm.D. program. The School of Medicine will be ordering white coats also.

Thank you,
Admissions Staff
----------------------

I also got mail on registration. The first day to register for classes is July 2nd.

Has anyone done their Tb test yet? I'm wondering when the first day of school is.

after looking at google maps, south pasadena looks like a reasonable area to live in being only 8 miles from campus. Can anyone comment on the morning commute taking 110 south?

It's pretty convenient living in South Pasadena. I take Huntington Drive to school (no need to hop on the 110 freeway). On a good day, it takes 10 minutes. Average, about 15 minutes.

Does anyone know where we can obtain the list of textbooks that are required for our first semester? It will be helpful since I can shop around to get a better deal of the textbks.

Congrats to all you who got into USC, awesome school. I’m just throwing it out there, my relatives have a couple of houses available for rent that I thought you guys might be interested in. The first one is a 3 bed/2bath, 2 car garage, yard, house that is available to rent. It will be available August 1st, so perfect for the start of school. The house is entirely newly remodeled, newly tiled bathrooms, newly tiled kitchen, new hardwood floors, and new doors throughout the entire house. New stove/hood. Hardwood floors in all bedrooms. Granit counters in kitchen and bathrooms. Ceiling fans in 2 of the 3 bedrooms. The largest bedroom is 21x14. Central air/heat. Covered patio in the back yard. Washer/dryer and refrigerator are already in the house, so you wouldn’t have to go out and get one. Quiet neighborhood with great neighbors. Rent is $2150, not bad for LA with a brand new interior. Gardeners are included in the rent.

The second house is a little bigger. 4 bed/1.5 baths, large family room, 2 car carport, nicely landscaped garden. There are also 2 rooms that are not connected to the house in the back yard. One of them is big enough to make into another bedroom and the other room could be an office/game room. Also in the back yard is a built in fire pit and covered patio. New carpet and paint throughout entire house. 2 of the bedrooms and kitchen have ceiling fans. Sky lights in the family room. Central air/heat. New stove/hood. Washer/dryer hook ups. Refrigerator already in the house. Dishwasher. Tiled bathrooms/kitchen. The house is in the same neighborhood as the above house. Rent is $2300, and again, gardeners are included in the rent. Available July/August.

Both houses are located in Monterey Park, which is 10 mins by freeway, and a for sure 10-15 mins on surface streets in traffic in the morning, so not bad considering the LA area. It’s 7-8 miles from school, in a great safe neighborhood. The previous tenants at one of the houses were Keck Med students, so it’s definitely an area that med students would live in. PM me if you want more info/pictures and are interested.

Has anyone activated his or her USC email at OASIS yet? The system stated that my account cannot be found, preventing me from activating the email. Perhaps we need to wait a little bit longer?

what's the difference between a 28-30 versus a 32-34?? are these inches or europeans sizes that i am unaware of?

what's the difference between a 28-30 versus a 32-34?? are these inches or europeans sizes that i am unaware of?

These numbers should be in inches. I assumed these are chest measurements, so I just went with my suit coat size.

Has anyone activated his or her USC email at OASIS yet? The system stated that my account cannot be found, preventing me from activating the email. Perhaps we need to wait a little bit longer?

Jim told me that we will be given our USC email address during our mandatory orientation. We don't need to sign up for it. i'm pretty it's just u'r first initial then last name @usc.edu.

My really chubby flip friend got off the waitlist for usc, lost 2K deposit at touro, and started working in the pharmacy after she got accepted this year...wish i was in her shoe

Does anybody know if USC has a specific Laptop that we should purchase, because i'm deciding to by a mac book. But i just want to make sure, that the school doesn't have preference in what laptop their student gets.

Congrats to all who have been accepted! I was wondering where everyone is living for their first year.

Congrats to all who have been accepted! I was wondering where everyone is living for their first year.

I live in Long Beach, and will be commuting :( - driving 2 days, and public transit 3 days (if i can get out of bed in time to take the bus to the train, to the other train and catch the shuttle!).

Hi I just graduated Spring 2007 and my degree isn't posted on my transcript yet. I also finished one pre-req spring quarter so all my pre-reqs are complete.

Do you guys think I should mail my spring transcript w/o my degree just to show them my pre-reqs are done, or should I just wait till the end of August (when my degree will be posted) and then just mail it then?

And AznGTOi3oi, if I remember correctly USC doesnt' require a laptop so I don't think there are requirements.

Hi I just graduated Spring 2007 and my degree isn't posted on my transcript yet. I also finished one pre-req spring quarter so all my pre-reqs are complete.

Do you guys think I should mail my spring transcript w/o my degree just to show them my pre-reqs are done, or should I just wait till the end of August (when my degree will be posted) and then just mail it then?

And AznGTOi3oi, if I remember correctly USC doesnt' require a laptop so I don't think there are requirements.

Thank you

if i were you, i would send my transcript now and a letter stating the transcript shows finished pre-reqs and that the degree will be posted in august and that another transcript will be sent in august with degree posted.

For $18 CSUSB allowed for priority posting of your degree. If your school has such a thing, I'd use it. I believe degree posting as well as prereqs must be received by orientation week. You certainly don't want to miss any deadlines.

Have you had any trouble registering for classes?

I just registered today. I had a degree verification hold. They said it shouldn't make a difference, but I couldn't even log into the registration page until they cleared it.

For $18 CSUSB allowed for priority posting of your degree. If your school has such a thing, I'd use it. I believe degree posting as well as prereqs must be received by orientation week. You certainly don't want to miss any deadlines.

Have you had any trouble registering for classes?

I just registered today. I had a degree verification hold. They said it shouldn't make a difference, but I couldn't even log into the registration page until they cleared it.

I registered a few weeks ago, no problems, but I did notice I too have a degree verification hold - hhhmmmm, wonder why since I graduated in 1997 (yes, i know i am old :( - but hey, 30 is the new 20 :laugh:!) and it should be on my transcript. Guess I'll call tomorrow, so I'll let you know what I find out.

Was anyone able to activate their e-mail account yet? I've tried a couple of times but I am unable to activate it.

Hi,
Is there anyone here who is still on the waitlist? Has there been any updates? I haven't heard anything since they sent us the approximate waitlist number.

Has everyone gotten the e-mail saying you can now activate your USC e-mail since you registered for classes?

I click on the link and follow the directions but it says they can't find my name.

Anyone else having this problem?

Has everyone gotten the e-mail saying you can now activate your USC e-mail since you registered for classes?

I click on the link and follow the directions but it says they can't find my name.

Anyone else having this problem?

The e-mail to set up accounts was sent out prematurely. A follow up e-mail from Roseann stated that e-mail accounts will be activated on Aug 13. Hope that helps.

Ooh thanks.. just saw that e-mail moments later.

I'm in a bind right now actually.. I am backed up in e-mails.. sooo many. Anyone i missed the e-mail where we had to turn in our student info (it was due July 13th!)

Am I screwed or can i just turn it in late and get a bad externship site.

Agh!

Hey guys I got a call today from USC they told me that I was accepted into the program and will be getting my admission packet on Monday. I was going to Western but now have decided to go to USC instead. Is there anything I should know? This is so late in the game I am really nervous.

Rose, do you happen to know if they actually go by numbers? I'm 32/80....i guess me must be out of luck or something

Status
Not open for further replies.