US Atlantic Bridge 2016

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
This is so weird! RCSI Bahrain offer, but no response from any of the other 6 Irish schools... No rejection or anything. Going to have to accept RCSI soon if I don't hear back from this next early-June round o_O

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Pretty sure RCSI and UCD are done with offers. ABP is unsure about TCD but apparently they generally don't have much left after the first round of offers goes out. I don't know about the others

Pretty sure RCSI and UCD are done with offers. ABP is unsure about TCD but apparently they generally don't have much left after the first round of offers goes out. I don't know about the others

Yeah that's what I heard too. Just gonna take what I got and run. It's getting close to the due date and I don't want to take any chances.

Members don't see this ad :)
Does anyone know if NUIG is eligible for FAFSA? or knows of any private lenders for American students attending NUIG?

Last edited:
Does anyone know if NUIG is eligible for FAFSA? or knows of any private lenders for American students attending NUIG?
I believe that all of the medical schools in Ireland are FAFSA eligible. I did my masters at the National University of Ireland, Maynooth. So NUIM a sister school to NUIG, and I was able to use all government loans for that.

http://www.atlanticbridge.com/medicine/faq/

What kind of financial aid is available?
Financial aid in the form of US student loans and Canadian lines of credit are available to cover education expenses such as tuition fees, books and supplies, travel, etc. Currently the schools themselves cannot make scholarships available to international students.

Note: The University of Limerick is not eligible for US Federal Financial Aid or Canadian Government Loans. Additionally, RCSI-Medical University of Bahrain is not eligible for US Federal Financial Aid.

Each school has a dedicated Financial Aid Administrator. Contact details are available from [email protected]

Hey folks,

Mature student here, currently doing undergrad in engineering - in midst of doing a career change to pursue my real dream.
My chances of pursuing medicine in Canada is nearly impossible as my prereqs have expired according to McGill and my degree doesn't follow the typical course load as other undergraduate degrees (Engineering and its weird credit distributions, lol) which excludes me from Canadian medical schools.

Applied: RSCI, UCD, Trinity, NUI-Galway
Rejected: NUI-Galway, UCD

Waitlisted (????): Trinity, RSCI (???)

I have not received an interview invite from RSCI. This is my second time applying via AB. I hold a previous undergraduate degree and I have written the MCAT. The office has told me that my file is on reserve, but realistically - based on the previous posts about no additional offers , should I assume my chances are nil?

Thank you for those who have replied to my post. I was told by AB that NUIG is still in the process of getting approval for FAFSA, which can take from a month or even more. Thus, I am trying to secure a private loan to cover for tuition. Any idea on any lenders in the U.S that can lend for international medical schools? I have a cosigner, and contacted Sallie Mae but they do not lend for overseas. I thought only RCSI-Bahrain is not eligible for FAFSA and I feel betrayed for not being told that at the moment NUIG is still processing their approval. The school did have approval from the U.S Department of Education in the past. For those waiting on TCD, I was told it is very unlikely that TCD will be making any more offers. I searched and found this excel sheet updated as of 4/1/2016 with all the schools eligible for FAFSA, and apparently NUIG is on the list.

Attachments

• ~$FAFSA.xlsx
    171 bytes · Views: 53
Last edited:
Hey folks,

Mature student here, currently doing undergrad in engineering - in midst of doing a career change to pursue my real dream.
My chances of pursuing medicine in Canada is nearly impossible as my prereqs have expired according to McGill and my degree doesn't follow the typical course load as other undergraduate degrees (Engineering and its weird credit distributions, lol) which excludes me from Canadian medical schools.

Applied: RSCI, UCD, Trinity, NUI-Galway
Rejected: NUI-Galway, UCD

Waitlisted (????): Trinity, RSCI (???)

I have not received an interview invite from RSCI. This is my second time applying via AB. I hold a previous undergraduate degree and I have written the MCAT. The office has told me that my file is on reserve, but realistically - based on the previous posts about no additional offers , should I assume my chances are nil?

Also a mature applicant and having tough luck.
What's your MCAT? Apparently this year is much more competitive and 30-32 minimum is needed to impress admissions.
Also they like recent prerequisite coursework

Hey futureworlddoc,

I've written the new MCAT. It's not a stellar score, but I'm banking on my life experiences (I had worked for an NGO right after my first undergrad) after which, strangely enough, landed me in the booming health tech startup industry in Silicon Valley - hence the second undergrad engineering degree and the internship at Palantir Technologies. A friend of mine had similar academic scores to mine and was accepted last year at Trinity.

Hey futureworlddoc,

I've written the new MCAT. It's not a stellar score, but I'm banking on my life experiences (I had worked for an NGO right after my first undergrad) after which, strangely enough, landed me in the booming health tech startup industry in Silicon Valley - hence the second undergrad engineering degree and the internship at Palantir Technologies. A friend of mine had similar academic scores to mine and was accepted last year at Trinity.

Just for reference, I have a sub 3.0 GPA with a 512 composite MCAT and have not been rejected by any of the GEM programs including UCD. After graduating with a Bio degree and working regular jobs for a few years, I picked up programming on my own and volunteered in a computational biology lab which has led to a couple of first author publications. I also work in scientific data management and analysis (concurrently with the lab work) for a government agency. I don't know if my age qualifies me as mature (<25) but I am definitely a non-traditional applicant.

I asked about my status yesterday and was told my application is still active at all of the GEM programs, although I have been rejected by all 5 year programs save TCD. Point being, I don't think anyone has a clue what the schools are looking for from year to year. At any rate, good luck!

Reactions: 1 users
I think the schools want strong GPA and strong MCAT. My GPA and work/research experience is stellar in my opinion. My MCAT is "ok" and I think that's where one of my weaknesses is. I spoke to ABP and they did say that the schools look for "recent undergraduate" work to show you can handle school. So again, not sure if that disqualifies me since I finished school a few years ago. This was something an academic advisor actually recently told me back in the USA as well. I had an appointment a few weeks ago. Even though I might have work experience that far outshines a new grad, she said "we know that going to school and work are much different", "we need to see you balance multiple courses", "we don't want to accept students who will then fail out or be unable to handle the demanding workload", basically she emphasized that working full time or having publications doesn't adequately show an ability to handle courses. She said to me that if I want to improve my chances I need to take recent sciences, e.g. night classes after work, at least 2 per semester, 1 is not enough as it doesn't show an ability to handle mulitple classes.
To me this is frustrating for sure. I wish they would give more students a chance, maybe even have an exam at the end of first year and those who can't keep up fail out. But at this point, being older, going back to pay and redo classes to then again just apply and "maybe get in" is very very frustrating. I can sort of see where they are coming from but at the same time I feel like I can handle myself well in school and have the background and research needed to probably outdo a lot new grads when it comes to application, pharma, etc.

Reactions: 1 users
I think the schools want strong GPA and strong MCAT. My GPA and work/research experience is stellar in my opinion. My MCAT is "ok" and I think that's where one of my weaknesses is. I spoke to ABP and they did say that the schools look for "recent undergraduate" work to show you can handle school. So again, not sure if that disqualifies me since I finished school a few years ago. This was something an academic advisor actually recently told me back in the USA as well. I had an appointment a few weeks ago. Even though I might have work experience that far outshines a new grad, she said "we know that going to school and work are much different", "we need to see you balance multiple courses", "we don't want to accept students who will then fail out or be unable to handle the demanding workload", basically she emphasized that working full time or having publications doesn't adequately show an ability to handle courses. She said to me that if I want to improve my chances I need to take recent sciences, e.g. night classes after work, at least 2 per semester, 1 is not enough as it doesn't show an ability to handle mulitple classes.
To me this is frustrating for sure. I wish they would give more students a chance, maybe even have an exam at the end of first year and those who can't keep up fail out. But at this point, being older, going back to pay and redo classes to then again just apply and "maybe get in" is very very frustrating. I can sort of see where they are coming from but at the same time I feel like I can handle myself well in school and have the background and research needed to probably outdo a lot new grads when it comes to application, pharma, etc.

I have to disagree with your advisor to some extent. Scientific publications indicate drive, interest, perseverance, expert knowledge, intense management skills, interpersonal skills, and academic ability. Quite frankly, anyone who has ever endured the process will understand this. Furthermore, having a first author publication significantly increases chances of, if not guarantees, acceptance to most mid-tier graduate programs. Granted medical school does have particular qualities they are searching for, but they cannot so wildly differ from graduate school requirements that the two competencies are totally incongruent, as the research world plays a large part in medicine and vice versa. Perhaps I'm wrong, who knows.

I also think the supplementary info (essays, CV,etc.) matter a great deal. I took a lot of time revising and editing my essays and CV, focusing on selling my strong points. Finally, I got awesome letters of recommendation from my lab PI and boss (Phd in Biochemistry). Mind you, I don't have an acceptance in hand, but I do think these things have kept me afloat (no GEM rejections) given my subpar GPA.

As for the MCAT, I do think the Irish schools are somewhat biased towards standardized test scores (i.e. MCAT). That just seems to be the slant in Europe in general.

Overall, keep riding it out and see what happens, because there is nothing else to do at this point.

Edit: I do want to point out that I am American. My experience comes from the American university system.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
Will bw withdrawing from UCC soon. Hope it goes to one of you people waiting :) dont lose hope

just received my rejection letter from NUIG. Here's to a long shot hope that TCD my still offer me a spot!

I also received my rejection letter tonight from the NUIG 5-year med program. Plan B it is... lol

May I ask if those who received their rejection letters are Canadians or Americans? not that there is any preference but just curious. Best of luck to all of you :)

May I am next in queue to receive rejection. Applied for 6 year

May I ask if those who received their rejection letters are Canadians or Americans? not that there is any preference but just curious. Best of luck to all of you :)

Canadian as well

Rejected from UCC via email today. Doesn't matter to me but just to let you know.

I also got a rejection from NUIG, but I have already committed to RCSI anyway. I am from the US by the way

It seems like everyone is getting some news, yet, as of Monday, I am sill told my application is open at all the GEM schools. I wish I would hear back sooner.

It seems like everyone is getting some news, yet, as of Monday, I am sill told my application is open at all the GEM schools. I wish I would hear back sooner.

I still haven't heard from the two I mentioned before.

Anyone hear anything new? /bump
nope, my app is still active with UCC and UCC GEM, but at this point I think we're all just waiting for those 1 or 2 slots they predict will open up when their accepted applicants receive a last minute acceptance to north American schools and drop out.

1 or 2 slots is still better than rejection, you just never know.
Yes I agree. I'm just staying realistic to the fact that we currently hold some lottery tickets waiting for the number to be called at this point.

Yes I agree. I'm just staying realistic to the fact that we currently hold some lottery tickets waiting for the number to be called at this point.
I asked about this. To be specific, I asked whether or not classes were full and if further acceptances would only be handed out if students withdrew. I was told that this was not necessarily the case and that "late" rounds of offers may be released. I realize that this information does not detail how many offers would be made in a "late" round, but this seems to indicate that a sizeable chunk of offers still may be offered. Maybe I'm just reading into things unnecessarily, as prior threads and trends indicate that, in reality, only a few people get in after late June/early July.

I asked about this. To be specific, I asked whether or not classes were full and if further acceptances would only be handed out if students withdrew. I was told that this was not necessarily the case and that "late" rounds of offers may be released. I realize that this information does not detail how many offers would be made in a "late" round, but this seems to indicate that a sizeable chunk of offers still may be offered. Maybe I'm just reading into things unnecessarily, as prior threads and trends indicate that, in reality, only a few people get in after late June/early July.

If we really look at the numbers, we're all competing for relatively few spots in the first place anyways. RCSI really seems to be the only school that really holds a good chunk of spaces for non EU applicants. For the rest of the schools there are probably no more than a couple dozen spots per school for North Americans and far less by now.

Man I sound like a buzzkill... But it would definitely be prudent for all of us to start thinking about getting started with reapplying

I also received my rejection from UCD (Canadian, 5 year applicant); if anyone is interested.

Got rejected from UL GEM today around 1 pm EST via email. Attached letter dated yesterday. American applicant.

Hi heard , RCSI-MUB students need to pass Irish test-PRES before applying for Irish internships?. But RCSI-MUB is recognized by Irish medical council, why RCSI students need to sit for PRES test?.

Anyone here heard from TCD, any acceptances or rejections??

Is it too late to apply for this years cycle for the Atlantic Bridge Program? I was interested in the 4 year options some of the schools offered.

Anyone here heard from TCD, any acceptances or rejections??

ABP rep emailed me at the end of May and said that TCD had released their first round offers and that any further offers would be unlikely. Do note, however, that my application remains open there and some people got in last cycle in August and July.

Is it too late to apply for this years cycle for the Atlantic Bridge Program? I was interested in the 4 year options some of the schools offered.

I'm pretty sure its to late for this cycle. Deadline was in April, I think. You can always call and ask.

Edit: Also, has anyone been rejected by RCSI GEM recently? My app is still open but I've gotten no word on when interviews will happen.

Last edited:
RCSI had finished interviews at least a month ago and sent out offers. As far as I know most people who did not interview would have received rejections by now. If you haven't yet interviewed, I think chances are pretty slim to get called for an interview now, possible that they are just overwhelmed with applications and slowly sending out rejections.
My file remains open at TCD but I emailed my ABP rep and called and both people informed me that it is "extremely unlikely" they will have more spaces open up at this point.
For UCD 2 rounds of offers are done, for anyone who has not received an offer and is still "open", it is extremely unlikely that any spaces will open up at this point.
For UCC 1 round of offers is complete, next round comes out in the next couple of weeks, if unsuccessful in the next round, is is extremely unlikely more spaces will open up.
I don't know for other schools but this is what the rep said when I called. I have been calling regularly, so this is a big change of tone from what I heard up until end of May where they said "It's still possible you get an offer, just be patient" to now saying "extremely unlikely". I think in all honesty, for those who have no offers this is just a waiting game for those rejection letters to be sent.

I have a friend in clerkship in Ireland (won't name the school). They told me international applications are "skyrocketing" for the programs from what they hear. As it is extremely difficult to determine what university scores are competitive for different institutions across the world, the MCAT is pretty much the biggest factor. Anyone with a sub 30 can basically forget about applying to Ireland, those of us on the 29-31 cusp have some shot but nowadays 33+ are being admitted. My friend had a 30 and 3.5 GPA and says basically s/he would not get into this school at this time and considers being very fortunate for having just applied straight out of UG instead of wasting a couple cycles here before applying.

RCSI had finished interviews at least a month ago and sent out offers. As far as I know most people who did not interview would have received rejections by now. If you haven't yet interviewed, I think chances are pretty slim to get called for an interview now, possible that they are just overwhelmed with applications and slowly sending out rejections.
My file remains open at TCD but I emailed my ABP rep and called and both people informed me that it is "extremely unlikely" they will have more spaces open up at this point.
For UCD 2 rounds of offers are done, for anyone who has not received an offer and is still "open", it is extremely unlikely that any spaces will open up at this point.
For UCC 1 round of offers is complete, next round comes out in the next couple of weeks, if unsuccessful in the next round, is is extremely unlikely more spaces will open up.
I don't know for other schools but this is what the rep said when I called. I have been calling regularly, so this is a big change of tone from what I heard up until end of May where they said "It's still possible you get an offer, just be patient" to now saying "extremely unlikely". I think in all honesty, for those who have no offers this is just a waiting game for those rejection letters to be sent.

I figured as much for interviewing schools. However, I'm still struggling with the mixed messages for UCC GEM and UCD GEM. I was told that they may send out further "late" offers. When I asked directly if classes were full and that any further offers would be based on withdrawals, I was told this was not necessarily the case. I was never told that any more offers would be extremely unlikely. I guess it really doesn't matter though, we just need to wait it out as well as habitually harass ABP and post here.

Edit: Are you talking about the 5 year or the GEM/4 year programs?

Last edited: