UOP 2009 application process

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
On hold and wait listed is pretty much the same thing. You're on hold right now until they interview everyone...after that they will rank you and put you on a wait list. That's my understanding of it.

on hold means rejection? hopefully not?

Members don't see this ad.

I was bummed too. :thumbdown: Email/ Call Veronica if you want more info. I asked her and she was very friendly and informative, even though I'm sure she gets that question a lot.

Did you call Veronica? What did she say about people who got on hold?

I'm a tier 2 applicant and I'm still waiting for an interview offer. Back in October I got a letter saying that they chose to defer my application until the end of January and so, I'm assuming they've re-reviewed it, but now what? Ugh! Also, as a side question... Are any of you student parents? Just wondering because I have 3 daughters, my youngest just born January 24, 2009 :love:, and I'm wondering if y'all are as stressed out about this whole process as I am?!

Members don't see this ad :)
Did you call Veronica? What did she say about people who got on hold?

Basically what FarmDee09 said. We get re-reviewed and then we get a decision after March interviews. If we're not rejected, then they ask if you'd like to be placed on the waitlist. I'm not sure if they update you continuously on your status throughout the remaining interviews. I haven't heard anything since my hold notification in December, so I guess that answer is no. :confused:

Can anyone remind me what PCHK and PINT are short for ? Thanks.

PCHK = pre-req check list (the day they verified everything..i think)

PINT = the day your interview is scheduled (if you receive one)

Does any one who has very late file complete date and PCHK date get an interview yet?

Um, I still want to know....

After the interview...

Is it better to be put on hold status? or is it better to be wait listed?

Also, does anyone get rejected after the interview? or is everyone either put on hold or wait listed status.

Thanks,

how do you know which tier are you in? if i turned in my app on the last day, am I a tier 3 applicant?

I just received the interview invitation today by mail. My file complete date is 10/27. My PCHK is 12/11. Thanks God. Finally they remember me.

To those accepted

Welcome to Stockton
Most Miserable City In U.S.

http://www.kcra.com/news/18686656/detail.html

To be honest, I saw it coming. If you look at the children coming out of high school, they look as if they were dressed to kill, not the stunning kind. I see middle schoolers walk around like they are 10 feet tall. Also, the crime rates are supposed to be extremely high. With most of the city not even having a college degree, it's not hard to see what's up with Stockton.

Members don't see this ad :)
To current UOP students:

Can you recommend any off-campus apartments that are good and SAFE? I don't mind it being 10-15 minutes away from campus, I just want it to be in a nice, safe neighborhood. I know Stockton is pretty dangerous so any advice/recommendations would help! I'll be moving up there, and living by myself so safety is key for me. Thanks in advance!

Does anyone know, just to make sure, there's no additional UOP-specific financial aid forms to fill out right? Just FAFSA?

To current UOP students:

Can you recommend any off-campus apartments that are good and SAFE? I don't mind it being 10-15 minutes away from campus, I just want it to be in a nice, safe neighborhood. I know Stockton is pretty dangerous so any advice/recommendations would help! I'll be moving up there, and living by myself so safety is key for me. Thanks in advance!

lol

Does anyone know, just to make sure, there's no additional UOP-specific financial aid forms to fill out right? Just FAFSA?

Just FAFSA, and send a copy of your tax return (and your parents', if you included parent info) to the financial aid office.

I can tell you why. :p I spent a summer studying physiology with a UOP student (pre-dental). She told me tons of stuff about UOP, which is probably why I'll be declining my interview soon. Stockton is one of the most depressing cities. (eg. The student went to grocery store for the first time in Stockton and was asked where she came from - SoCal - and how she liked Stockton. Before she could answer, the grocer said, "Depressing, isn't it?")

Then I told her how I was bringing a car if I attended UOP. She said I was guaranteed to get my car broken into 1 of my 4 years at UOP - not to steal the car, but to steal a particular metal in the car. Furthermore, a section of their paper is dedicated to thefts.

Lastly, campus life is nonexistent. She said I'd probably die of boredom without a car. I would at least need a monthly trip to an exciting area like SF to keep sane.

Having said that, the dormitories are very close to the pharmacy. It is the most accessible option and the good thing about the program is that you would be doing your advanced rotations elsewhere (probably). I didn't apply to UOP for the life or the enjoyment of pharmacy school. It's an accelerated program, which is still respected, is the sole reason for attending this university (just short of those who are actually living near campus and desiring the convenience).

I can tell you why. :p I spent a summer studying physiology with a UOP student (pre-dental). She told me tons of stuff about UOP, which is probably why I'll be declining my interview soon. Stockton is one of the most depressing cities. (eg. The student went to grocery store for the first time in Stockton and was asked where she came from - SoCal - and how she liked Stockton. Before she could answer, the grocer said, "Depressing, isn't it?")

Then I told her how I was bringing a car if I attended UOP. She said I was guaranteed to get my car broken into 1 of my 4 years at UOP - not to steal the car, but to steal a particular metal in the car. Furthermore, a section of their paper is dedicated to thefts.

Lastly, campus life is nonexistent. She said I'd probably die of boredom without a car. I would at least need a monthly trip to an exciting area like SF to keep sane.

Having said that, the dormitories are very close to the pharmacy. It is the most accessible option and the good thing about the program is that you would be doing your advanced rotations elsewhere (probably). I didn't apply to UOP for the life or the enjoyment of pharmacy school. It's an accelerated program, which is still respected, is the sole reason for attending this university (just short of those who are actually living near campus and desiring the convenience).

how depressing. I bet Real estate is REALLY cheap in Stockton. haha.

by the way.... im sure Stockton is a very dangerous city. So if you are a girl, you should be extra careful.
"Be sure to wear lots of underwear, so if you get rape it'll take them longer and you can escape." - mymomisafob.com

Last edited:
how depressing. I bet Real estate is REALLY cheap in Stockton. haha.

Ho,ho. There's more. Their undergrad campus is a remodeled asylum. There is really only one way in and out and all the halls are corridors from the front entrance/exit. This is a common theme in insane asylums to keep patients from escaping. Exciting, isn't it?

On a positive note, gotta love their wide expansive network of rotations that probably extend to your home area, allowing you to return home for your last year. (I hate sharing all these negative stories without giving positives. I just can't for the life of me remember the positives from the summer. Sorry.)

by the way.... im sure Stockton is a very dangerous city. So if you are a girl, you should be extra careful.

I wouldn't go that far. The majority of their students are girls, and they make it out fine. It's not known to be a dangerous city. Just a miserable one. I would say USC is in a dangerous city though.

I wouldn't go that far. The majority of their students are girls, and they make it out fine. It's not known to be a dangerous city. Just a miserable one. I would say USC is in a dangerous city though.

I vigorously disagree on that. USC is in a very nice area and far from ghetto neigborhood, eps. Stockton where not only your car gets broken in once but more than twice in your 4 years there.:smuggrin:

Ho,ho. There's more. Their undergrad campus is a remodeled asylum. There is really only one way in and out and all the halls are corridors from the front entrance/exit. This is a common theme in insane asylums to keep patients from escaping. Exciting, isn't it?

But the pharmacy campus is pretty! It's across the river from the undergrad campus and the Chan Family whatever center is still shiny and new-looking.

There are thousands of students at UOP and a few hundred go through the pharmacy school every year. They're all doing fine. And it's only two years. I'm not that worried about Stockton, although, if I don't get into Brookside Hall I plan on looking at gated communities... I'm already going to be massively in debt, so what's another few thousand paid in rent to ensure my apartment won't get broken into?

It's across the river from the undergrad campus and the Chan Family whatever center is still shiny and new-looking.

O, that's true. I told you I forgot about the positives. My friend mentioned the new union, but prior to this building there was nothing. It IS new, though. She never really experienced it. That's something to look forward to!

I vigorously disagree on that. USC is in a very nice area and far from ghetto neigborhood, eps. Stockton where not only your car gets broken in once but more than twice in your 4 years there.:smuggrin:

Stockton may be pretty bad, but everyone knows SC's in a ghetto area too, both undergrad and the health sciences campus. Anyway, even if you're in a nice area shouldn't you be cautious anyhow?

Look at the bright side: they have the best cherries (thats where Socal gets their cherries) and yummmmmminess "crawdads"! The only reason those kids are acting up n breaking into things is cuz they have nothing else to do over there.... not even a cow to tip!!

Hello all, I just started taking science pre-requisites in a community college in the evening. I have a bachelor and master degree in Architecture and have a full time job with an Ok salary. I know UOP is very competitive, but I just want to know the probability of my chance to get into this school. If I get all A for all pre-requisites from a community college, with experience in pharmacy (4hr a week), once a month volunteer somewhere. What's my chance to get into UOP? Sometimes I am very pessimistic. Look at this forum, there are so many applicants with background in chemistry or biology. My background is totally off, and the courses I am taking are all from a community college. I am in Sacramento, so I prefer UOP first, then Tuoro, northern state will be my last choice.

Last edited:
Hello all, I just started taking science pre-requisites in a community college in the evening. I have a bachelor and master degree in Architecture and have a full time job with an Ok salary. I know UOP is very competitive, but I just want to know the probability of my chance to get into this school. If I get all A for all pre-requisites from a community college, with experience in pharmacy (4hr a week), once a month volunteer somewhere. What's my chance to get into UOP? Sometimes I am very optimistic. Look at this forum, there are so many applicants with background in chemistry or biology. My background is totally off, and the courses I am taking are all from a community college. I am in Sacramento, so I prefer UOP first, then Tuoro, northern state will be my last choice.

It's hard to say since they look at other things too (ie. your letters of rec, personal statement, interview (if/when you get one))....

It's hard to say since they look at other things too (ie. your letters of rec, personal statement, interview (if/when you get one))....

Well, I just want to know probability. If it's only 1 or 2 %, then I 'd beter give up. If it's 50%, I will go for it. I work in an independent pharmacy on Saturday. I am just not confident about my architectural background and pre-requisites in community college.

I'm a tier 2 applicant and I'm still waiting for an interview offer. Back in October I got a letter saying that they chose to defer my application until the end of January and so, I'm assuming they've re-reviewed it, but now what? Ugh! Also, as a side question... Are any of you student parents? Just wondering because I have 3 daughters, my youngest just born January 24, 2009 :love:, and I'm wondering if y'all are as stressed out about this whole process as I am?!

congratulations! I am a mom too. And if I don't apply this year, I probably will go to an interview with a big belly the next year (if I do get an interview from UOP). hope they won't discriminate moms.
I have 9 month old baby girl. I work full time and take two science classes in the evening.

Last edited:
Look at the bright side: they have the best cherries (thats where Socal gets their cherries) and yummmmmminess "crawdads"! The only reason those kids are acting up n breaking into things is cuz they have nothing else to do over there.... not even a cow to tip!!

haha I hear you guys, I know Stockton is a bad area. But so far it's the only school I've gotten into, so if I end up going here I would need to find a good apartment. So, someone mentioned Brookside? Is that a good choice? Any other safe apts you know of? Please help

Last edited:
Hello all, I just started taking science pre-requisites in a community college in the evening. I have a bachelor and master degree in Architecture and have a full time job with an Ok salary. I know UOP is very competitive, but I just want to know the probability of my chance to get into this school. If I get all A for all pre-requisites from a community college, with experience in pharmacy (4hr a week), once a month volunteer somewhere. What's my chance to get into UOP? Sometimes I am very pessimistic. Look at this forum, there are so many applicants with background in chemistry or biology. My background is totally off, and the courses I am taking are all from a community college. I am in Sacramento, so I prefer UOP first, then Tuoro, northern state will be my last choice.

If you get all A's in your pre-reqs, you'll definitely be more competitive. Alot of people do major in biology or chemistry before entering pharmacy school, but don't worry about what others have done. If you have a master's degree in Architecture, then thats an accomplishment in itself. Also, are you involved in any type of volunteering/community service? If not, I suggest you look into that. You have experience in pharmacy, so thats a plus. You should continue getting as much experience in the pharmacy as possible. Get good letters of rec, earn high grades, and write a good personal statement! Remember, you can do it if you really want it. Good luck to you! :luck:

If you get all A's in your pre-reqs, you'll definitely be more competitive. Alot of people do major in biology or chemistry before entering pharmacy school, but don't worry about what others have done. If you have a master's degree in Architecture, then thats an accomplishment in itself. Also, are you involved in any type of volunteering/community service? If not, I suggest you look into that. You have experience in pharmacy, so thats a plus. You should continue getting as much experience in the pharmacy as possible. Get good letters of rec, earn high grades, and write a good personal statement! Remember, you can do it if you really want it. Good luck to you! :luck:

Thanks for the encouragement! I work in a pharmacy every Saturday morning. Besides this, I work full time in an architectural firm. I just can't quit because I do earn much higher salary on my full-time architectural job than a pharm. tech. , at the same time, take two science classes in the evening. I also have a little baby. I don't have much time to volunteer. I do registration for marathon or bike race once a while. If I ask the pharmacist not pay me, can this count community service? How much community work is enough? For example, how many hours a month? Anyone give an idea? Thanks

Hello all. As a Stockton native and current UOP pharmacy student, I just wanted to clear up a few misconceptions I've seen in this thread.

I don't know where you got your information about the undergraduate lecture halls from, but this is categorically untrue. There are multiple entrances/exists from all the halls.

There are thousands of students at UOP and a few hundred go through the pharmacy school every year. They're all doing fine. And it's only two years. I'm not that worried about Stockton, although, if I don't get into Brookside Hall I plan on looking at gated communities... I'm already going to be massively in debt, so what's another few thousand paid in rent to ensure my apartment won't get broken into?
Actually, the cost of renting a house (split between 4 or 5 people) usually works out to be a little bit cheaper than living on campus. Just an FYI...

haha I hear you guys, I know Stockton is a bad area. But so far it's the only school I've gotten into, so if I end up going here I would need to find a good apartment. So, someone mentioned Brookside? Is that a good choice? Any other safe apts you know of? Please help
I won't lie to you and say that Stockton is the best, but it is not as terrible as some in this thread would make it out to be. The Brookside community (different from the Brookside residence hall) is a really nice neighborhood to live in. There are several pharmacy students that live in this area. There are also some nice apartment complexes located 5-10 minutes away from the school.

As for your car being guaranteed to be broken into, I've lived in Stockton all my life and my car has never once been broken into here.

Well I was adding that second post for fun. It wasn't meant for actual consideration for the pharmacy school. Again it was last summer when I heard these stories. I also never mentioned which building. To reinforce what ive said, My classmate mentioned the metal bars in certain classrooms (once used for curtains). I'm not actually sure about the exit number, she simply said the halls were designed in a unique way which implied that. I don't know where she got the historical info from but I didn't make it up and she went to uop. I took her word for it. In uop's defense, she said I would enjoy it there at the pharmacy school.

only one building was formerly an asylum. it's the dorms west of the library. they had a little display about its history in the library when i was there.

Actually, the cost of renting a house (split between 4 or 5 people) usually works out to be a little bit cheaper than living on campus. Just an FYI...

I haven't crunched any numbers, but I figured it would. I still would like to live on campus rather than deal with finding somewhere to live, utilities, finding roommates, etc. Of course, being a transfer, I know I may not have much of a choice.

But thanks for your comments.. I really don't think it's as bad as everyone makes it out to be and it's nice to hear someone confirm it. :)

I haven't crunched any numbers, but I figured it would. I still would like to live on campus rather than deal with finding somewhere to live, utilities, finding roommates, etc. Of course, being a transfer, I know I may not have much of a choice.

But thanks for your comments.. I really don't think it's as bad as everyone makes it out to be and it's nice to hear someone confirm it. :)

Is it too late to sign up for on-campus housing?

Is it too late to sign up for on-campus housing?

Preference is granted to continuing students, and Brookside is not just pharmacy students - it's all graduate programs. If there's space left after all those kids who want housing, then they go to transfers. Housing told me not to bother with an application and to just fill out a wait list form.

I just got my "on hold" letter :(
Does anyone ever get in if they are on hold?

I just got my "on hold" letter :(
Does anyone ever get in if they are on hold?

I was also put on "hold". Interviewed 1/30 and received the letter 2/9 with a post marked date of 2/6. (I'm assuming that is bad considering how fast I heard back with bad news)

Seems like it's hard to get into UOP this year.

Anyone get accepted yet from the 1/30 interview?

I want to crunch out the numbers for you guys.

It costs about $10509 a year to live in Brookside. Minus $1200 which goes into the dining meal plan, it is about $780 a month.

Living off campus is $4-500. Then we need to add utilities: electric, water, and cable tv/internet and gas for the commute. After that, my guess is that it will cost $650 a month to live off campus. All in all, you are paying $130 for the convenience of living right next to the pharmacy school. Also, it is just a few minutes walk from the gym too, which I go every week.

I think it's worth it because you are living with other pharmacy students. That means if you need help, you can easily walk over next door to ask the guy for help. And trust me, in pharmacy school, you need all the help you can get.

In addition, it's on campus, so you don't need to worry about your car getting stolen into. I've heard of people going out and coming back to see their windows cracked and ipod stolen when they go to the bad parts of Stockton.

In regards to safety, I've been in Stockton for 3 years and never had bad experiences... except when going to shady parts. (I went to the movie theaters and I saw a lot of middle schoolers dress like wannabe street gangsters.) Other than that, all I do is stay on campus.

Last edited:
I see every body started discussing about housing but can anyone answer my question? I schedule my interview w/ UOP on Mar 13 but my PINT hasn't show that date yet. Why is that?

I see every body started discussing about housing but can anyone answer my question? I schedule my interview w/ UOP on Mar 13 but my PINT hasn't show that date yet. Why is that?

Krystal, my PINT date of 2/6/09 didn't show up until after the interview. I found this odd to since I expected the date to show up once i received the interview invitation email. So I wouldn't worry about it at and all good luck on the interview.

I just received the interview invitation today by mail. My file complete date is 10/27. My PCHK is 12/11. Thanks God. Finally they remember me.

haha, hey. congrats! that leaves me with a bit of hope too, my PCHK date was 12/22 or something, and i'm still waiting...

I checked my online status today and this is what it says:

PINT Office Use Only
11/3/2008
PCHK Office Use Only
2/17/2009

what does that mean?? the PINT date is way passed.. the PCHK is only a few days ago. Is that a rejection? I emailed Veronica but wanted to see what you guys think.

I interviewd on 1/30. I was on hold. There is no date on my PINT Office Use Only... Is that a rejection?
I am sure I was rejected since I got that on hold letter :(