Study schedule/application process

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Ploqt54

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello! I would love to hear some advice on studying for the pcat (I have two months to study). I am using Dr Collins material. For those who used it, do you recommend memorizing the study guides first then do the practice tests? Or start learning the practice tests questions and time yourself later?

Also, where in the midst of studying have you starting writing your personal statement and application process?

Thank you!!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Here is example how I studied the chemistry portion, most of my time I spent there.. and I think I should have spent more time on math as well. Anyway...
Look at the study first, skim through. Mark what you need to refresh, re-study and skip. When I was studying chemistry part, I almost skipped all organic and biochem, because I took those classes recently and it was fresh in my head. However, I have to teach myself again all inorganic and I completely forgot what orbital, valence etc. Some topics like “gas law” I studied solely from my college notes. There were some topics in Collins study guide that I never learned at school before, I spent more time there.
Also for the chemistry portion I didn’t use Kaplan. I found it was poor written and explained, too much unnecessary details, poor explanations in answers.
Throughout the chem study you will see exercises, there are similar to practice tests. Make sure you do them and understand what you are doing. Basically while you are using the study guide you are already practicing.
Once you are done with study guide, time to practice. If you are getting some questions wrong and don’t understand... stop and go back to teach yourself again particular part. Look at YouTube, use online cliff notes they are great, I also used my college notes. Collins comes as lose leaf, put in a binder and you can always inserts extra pages and write extra notes if you don’t find enough explanations.
Regarding practice tests. Make sure do them ALL. At least force yourself go over twice. Doing them multiple times is the best. I remember I marked questions I was getting constantly wrong. When I was reviewing practice tests 3rd time, I skipped the ones I knew for sure.
Remember in real test you have 45 min per section. I remember the first chem practice test took me THE WHOLE DAY. I got scared, but then close to the end I was doing themuch faster.
So don’t underestimate time you need for practice tests. It’s doable but will require time to get used to it.

Reactions: 1 user
This was SO helpful. Thank you so much!!!