Unusual situation

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

europ321123

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello!
I am from Russia and now pursue bachelor's degree in International Relations, GPA 4.0. I'm also a US green card holder, but I have never studied in the US. At Russian high school, I really liked biology and have 4.0 GPA, but I decided to choose political science.

Now I want to change my career and become a doctor. As I understand it, the best option is a second bachelor's degree in biology, but this is a long time and again I need to maintain a very high GPA to get into doctorate in medicine.

I was looking into the possibilities of going to medical school, dental, and find out that in the United States podiatry is a separate specialty.

I recently learned about Barry University's School of Podiatric. As they say on their website, they prefer US bachelors, but at the same time they write about TOEFL and about foreign students.

The question is, can I, after completing a bachelor's degree in political science in Russia, take courses in biology, chemistry, and so on, in a community college or maybe if they exist post-bacc for example, and get into Barry or any other Podiatric school? Or will the chances be very small and it is better to get a bachelor's degree in biology in the United States?

Sincerely

Members don't see this ad.

If you do your pre-reqs within the US and get a good MCAT score, I think you have a decent chance of getting in.

Reactions: 1 user
Or will the chances be very small and it is better to get a bachelor's degree in biology in the United States?
You might not need to get a full 4 year bachelor's degree. There are lots of master's or post-bachelor degree programs that get you the prerequisites in the US. I would search post-bachelor pre-med program or masters in biomedical sciences. I didn't have to do this but why do a 4 year program when you can do a 1-2 year program?

Also reach out to admissions departments at the schools! They are really nice and helpful and can help make sure you meet their expectations rather than "guessing."

Members don't see this ad :)
You might not need to get a full 4 year bachelor's degree. There are lots of master's or post-bachelor degree programs that get you the prerequisites in the US. I would search post-bachelor pre-med program or masters in biomedical sciences. I didn't have to do this but why do a 4 year program when you can do a 1-2 year program?

Also reach out to admissions departments at the schools! They are really nice and helpful and can help make sure you meet their expectations rather than "guessing."
Hello! Thanks for reply! Is it possible to get in a master's degree related to biology, if I studied in a political bachelor's degree?

Hello! Thanks for reply! Do you think the community college will work?
Yes I believe so. I think there are many different ways to fulfill admission requirements. I say this because I know some students that were accepted into podiatry school without receiving their bachelors degree (only doing the first 2 years instead of finishing all 4 years for example).

Don't base your decisions just on our comments on SDN. You should reach out to the schools and ask them about their policies before you commit to anything.

Yes I believe so. I think there are many different ways to fulfill admission requirements. I say this because I know some students that were accepted into podiatry school without receiving their bachelors degree (only doing the first 2 years instead of finishing all 4 years for example).

Don't base your decisions just on our comments on SDN. You should reach out to the schools and ask them about their policies before you commit to anything.
Thank you! Can you recommend some school to call, which is not so competitive?

Thank you! Can you recommend some school to call, which is not so competitive?
I would recommend calling the schools with big class sizes (north of 70 students). You can do a quick search because I'm not familiar with what the class sizes are for each podiatry school.

Hello! Thanks for reply! Is it possible to get in a master's degree related to biology, if I studied in a political bachelor's degree?
It is! Many of the programs are set up for students just like you that studied something else and now want to get into some type of medical field.

Reactions: 1 users
It is! Many of the programs are set up for students just like you that studied something else and now want to get into some type of medical field.
Thank you! Do you know some good schools for Master's in my case? Sincerely

I find out that for medical school there are a lot of services when you can buy help packages for medical school admission (consultation, essay review) and so on. Is there some services for podiatry?

I find out that for medical school there are a lot of services when you can buy help packages for medical school admission (consultation, essay review) and so on. Is there some services for podiatry?
Waste of money.

But if you believe you need it and money is not an issue, any medical school admission service will work for podiatry.

Reactions: 2 users
Thank you! Do you know some good schools for Master's in my case? Sincerely
I don't personally know the reputation of any of the schools offering these programs because I never applied however many of the podiatry schools have them and sometimes it gives you an advantage in the application process.

I would recommend calling the schools with big class sizes (north of 70 students). You can do a quick search because I'm not familiar with what the class sizes are for each podiatry school.
Hi! Need an advice. Find out that UNE offer all pre-req courses online with labs and that people on this forum use UNE. But how do you think, will it be ok if I take all courses online at UNE? Will my application weak because of this? I mean, I have opportunity to go for BS Biology, but it will take again 4 years, which is not interesting idea.