Current Situation & Chances at POD School

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

adrian710

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I am currently a post-bacc student at VCOM (osteopathic med school post-bacc), if I get a 3.6 this semester I am guaranteed a seat in their med school class - falling short of this GPA I am pretty much out of options in terms of attending an American medical school.

If I don't get in, I would really like to remain in the medical field with patient interaction and potentially surgery so that leads me to the podiatry profession.

My stats include a 495 MCAT and a 3.2 cGPA. However, my sGPA and cGPA post undergrad will most likely be higher following this program of heavy medical course work. Anyways what are my chances?

Follow up Q: Should I apply now or can I wait and do that in December when I know what my situation is in terms of getting into VCOM via this program?

Members don't see this ad.

I think with your MCAT and GPA you would definitely have a shot at pod school, even if you end up applying in December.

I think with your MCAT and GPA you would definitely have a shot at pod school, even if you end up applying in December.
Thank you for feedback. Are you pre-pod or current pod student? Another thing I'd have to worry about probably is shadowing a podiatrist over December break and getting a letter I'm assuming?

Members don't see this ad :)
Thank you for feedback. Are you pre-pod or current pod student? Another thing I'd have to worry about probably is shadowing a podiatrist over December break and getting a letter I'm assuming?
I wouldn't apply and commit to podiatry without shadowing. How can anyone commit 40 years, hundreds of thousands of dollars of debt, and millions of hours working to a profession without shadowing anyone in that profession?

Reactions: 1 users
I wouldn't apply and commit to podiatry without shadowing. How can anyone commit 40 years, hundreds of thousands of dollars of debt, and millions of hours working to a profession without shadowing anyone in that profession?
Right exactly, I figured I could get that done here while in the post-bacc program by shadowing a local podiatrist right near my school, although I am keen on the profession I was around one during my days as a scribe at a pain clinic I used to work at. Also assuming that a pod letter is a requirement? Is there a big difference in applying now vs Nov/Dec with my stats?

Right exactly, I figured I could get that done here while in the post-bacc program by shadowing a local podiatrist right near my school, although I am keen on the profession I was around one during my days as a scribe at a pain clinic I used to work at. Also assuming that a pod letter is a requirement? Is there a big difference in applying now vs Nov/Dec with my stats?
Pod letter is a req at most schools but not all. I was admitted to KSUCPM without one but I did have shadowing.

In your situation I would probably wait, Nov/Dec is still considered early. I applied myself in May.

Do make sure that podiatry is something that you actually want to do for the rest of your life and not just a back-up. Shadow, do research on the profession, make sure it is something you want. I have seen several classmates drop out because they changed their minds or decided that it wasn't what they wanted. That is a costly mistake.

Hey dude..I was also in the VCOM program but once I got into few Pod schools, I decided to pursue this field. By that time, I had hundreds of hours of shadowing a Pod and experience in the field, so I know what I'm getting myself into and I cannot wait to start in few weeks.

That said, if I was in your situation, I would forget about the Pod field for now and would concentrate on getting that 3.6 at VCOM.
In case you do not make that 3.6, start shadowing a pod end of term 1 (by dec or so) and start applying to Pod schools then. All you need is a letter from a Pod and that can be done by shadowing someone for 1 week or less. But most importantly, you have to be sure this is the field you want to pursue if you can do "feet" all your life, then sure, come on aboard!

Good luck!

Reactions: 5 users
Stay focused. You are ju,ping ship before the ship has even reached harbor.

Your focus should be the post bac. Nothing else. A 3.6 will give you greater options in both your DO or DPM interview chances.

I agree wi th Dexter and all of the posters on here.

Focus on your grades. They are the only thing that will give you better options regardless of the profession you choose.

Shadow thoroughly and focus less on your chances currently.

You guys right - but I know I need practice medicine one way or the other and I panic when I don't have a back up plan or idea. I'm not gonna lie, I doubt that I can do surgery coming through a DO school but it seems as if pods can most likely do surgery if they'd like which is more attractive to me than just being a family doc.

I plan on crushing this program to the best of my abilities. If I do not get a 3.6+ this semester, I will start looking more into shadowing pods/getting a letter and applying during December. I might shadow a pod for the heck of it regardless during my break - maybe pod surgery is really where my heart is bc surgery is very much my dream.

Thank you guys.

Reactions: 3 users
Wait to hear from VCOM about your GPA. If you have free time, shadow a pod in your area. You will be okay applying in December. Maybe the smaller school will be fullish?

I think temple was interviewing students for the current first year class in July.

If you want surgery, podiatry will give you it. The pod I shadowed said she has peers that do just foot and ankle surgery all day everyday. No wound care, ingrown toenails, draining, etc.

You guys right - but I know I need practice medicine one way or the other and I panic when I don't have a back up plan or idea. I'm not gonna lie, I doubt that I can do surgery coming through a DO school but it seems as if pods can most likely do surgery if they'd like which is more attractive to me than just being a family doc.

I plan on crushing this program to the best of my abilities. If I do not get a 3.6+ this semester, I will start looking more into shadowing pods/getting a letter and applying during December. I might shadow a pod for the heck of it regardless during my break - maybe pod surgery is really where my heart is bc surgery is very much my dream.

Thank you guys.

Reactions: 1 user
If you want surgery, podiatry will give you it. The pod I shadowed said she has peers that do just foot and ankle surgery all day everyday. No wound care, ingrown toenails, draining, etc.

I'd like to add that while this is theoretically possible, few Podiatrists actually manage this. Chances are you WILL be able to do surgery if you want, but relatively few will work in exclusively surgical practices. From what I understand, it's usually those who graduated from very surgically intensive programs and went on to work for an Orthopedic group that ended up doing mostly surgeries. The average graduate will be doing a mix of palliative care and surgical care.

Just to add to what has been said, the most surgical podiatrists I know who "do surgery all day everyday" are really about 1/2 clinic and 1/2 surgery. After all, you have to see your patients post-op and pre-op and unless you are in a unique situation where other physicians are seeing surgical cases and just sending them all to you, there will be a lot of non-surgical care you provide. Not every bunion you see needs fixed, not every arthritic ankle needs replaced, and not every patient is a good surgical candidate. There are unique situations but even those are probably not much more than 1/2 clinic and 1/2 in the OR because of seeing pre-op and post-op patients.

The way it was explained to me is the Pod is with an orthopedic group which is contracted out to the hospital to handle all Ortho surgery. The Orthopedic group is physician run while the hospital is not. The hospital has multispecilty clinics as well, including podiatry, but podiatry there only deals with clinical things like wounds, in grown toenails, and the like. Im surprised too, because I would think that having podiatry in house perform surgical procedures would save on money rather than punting patients to Ortho. Maybe they have a deal with the Orthopedic group where they get all Ortho done that way.

Just to add to what has been said, the most surgical podiatrists I know who "do surgery all day everyday" are really about 1/2 clinic and 1/2 surgery. After all, you have to see your patients post-op and pre-op and unless you are in a unique situation where other physicians are seeing surgical cases and just sending them all to you, there will be a lot of non-surgical care you provide. Not every bunion you see needs fixed, not every arthritic ankle needs replaced, and not every patient is a good surgical candidate. There are unique situations but even those are probably not much more than 1/2 clinic and 1/2 in the OR because of seeing pre-op and post-op patients.

The way it was explained to me is the Pod is with an orthopedic group which is contracted out to the hospital to handle all Ortho surgery. The Orthopedic group is physician run while the hospital is not. The hospital has multispecilty clinics as well, including podiatry, but podiatry there only deals with clinical things like wounds, in grown toenails, and the like. Im surprised too, because I would think that having podiatry in house perform surgical procedures would save on money rather than punting patients to Ortho. Maybe they have a deal with the Orthopedic group where they get all Ortho done that way.
I think more and more hospitals will realize that surgical podiatry in-house is usually a money maker. Still, the point is - don't go into podiatry expecting to do just surgery, even if you are employed by a hospital like me or in an ortho/multispecialty group. You'll be able to perform surgery if you want, and it may even make up a big portion of your practice, but solely surgical practices are rare.

Update - decided I will shadow a Pod towards end of this semester in VA and also shadow one in December in my hometown Detroit, MI regardless of my situation in terms of my conditional acceptance to VCOM.

Should I submit whenever in this case? Or wait for shadowing + letters to include in app?
Pod letter is a req at most schools but not all. I was admitted to KSUCPM without one but I did have shadowing.

In your situation I would probably wait, Nov/Dec is still considered early. I applied myself in May.

Do make sure that podiatry is something that you actually want to do for the rest of your life and not just a back-up. Shadow, do research on the profession, make sure it is something you want. I have seen several classmates drop out because they changed their minds or decided that it wasn't what they wanted. That is a costly mistake.
Applied in May and got in? Good stats?

You're saying that I should apply in Dec... thing is I probably wouldn't have letters from a Pod until around January. Maybe Dec if I shadow one in Nov in VA.

Update - decided I will shadow a Pod towards end of this semester in VA and also shadow one in December in my hometown Detroit, MI regardless of my situation in terms of my conditional acceptance to VCOM.

Should I submit whenever in this case? Or wait for shadowing + letters to include in app?

You're saying that I should apply in Dec... thing is I probably wouldn't have letters from a Pod until around January. Maybe Dec if I shadow one in Nov in VA.
You can be accepted without LOR.

I don't know my stats, I never checked. As Podstar said, you can be accepted or invited for interviews without a letter of rec. If I were you and you decide to apply I would submit your apps in Dec and send the LOR later when you can.

Wait to hear from VCOM about your GPA. If you have free time, shadow a pod in your area. You will be okay applying in December. Maybe the smaller school will be fullish?

I think temple was interviewing students for the current first year class in July.
That's good news bc that's where I'd like to go. Huge fan of the city.