Living situation in School

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

footpainhealer

7+ Year Member
Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Pretty much in the same boat. For example, if I go to Des Moines (which is the school I intend to go to and rent is cheap) I would like to live by myself but be closeish to the school. Would most likely get a 1 BR or Studio to start. However, if I decided to live with someone, I would think it best to room with someone in the program.

The Class of 20XX Facebook page is good to check. I would also check the school website to see if there’s a portal for people looking for roommates. Barry had something like that.

Reactions: 1 user
For all my non-married peers starting this fall,

what's the plan for living at your respective schools? Alone paying for a 1 BR or a studio or 1 roomate in 2BR apartment or a group getting a house?

This is my first time moving out so I'm confused on how this all works lol
Do we find other students/roomates via the schools facebooks?
It depends on what you like. If you want to live alone, it will definitely be more expensive. If you will live with someone else, it will be cheaper but it all depends with whom you will live. You only get to know your roommate after a while.

As musclesmiyagi said, I also think it is better to live with someone in the same program or at least in graduate program. It's not college, you don't want your roommate partying all the time.

Since, I am looking for rent right now as well, I see postings looking for roommate on CL all the time.

But, I have a family and I will live a bit away from the school.

Members don't see this ad :)
Yeah I am on the schools FB page looking at their posts. Its all girls looking for roommates. (im a dude lol).
And even then, there were only 3 listings for roommates. Now I'm concerned that I'm screwed and will have to cough up like 1200 for a 1BR
Which school are you going to?

I have personally checked CL over there and I have found that it is even cheaper than DMU. At DMU room can be rented for 450-550 as roommate and 550-700 alone in 1 bedroom or even 2 bedroom.

So, you should not be paying even close to $1200

Rent a one bedroom or studio. Your education is worth more than saving a few $$$. Getting one bad roommate can ruin your entire semester/year

Reactions: 5 users
I'd keep looking. There are some students here (AZpod) that pay 400 a month and have a 10 min drive to school which really isn' that far. I live on campus though. Love it.

FB page called Midwestern University, Glendale AZ has had like 50 posts looking for roommates if that the way you want to go also.