UNTHSC/TCOM M.S. in Medical Sciences (Texas)-SMP 2017-2018

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Thanks so much for the insight! It sounds like having a job and being in the program is not feasible. Did anyone in your class manage a job while succeeding in the program? Also, this may not be true to med students but I talked to Dr. Miller at Texas A&M School of Dentistry and she said they accept a lot of people who come out of this program. Any other advice you may have for handling the course load?

I'm a current MedSci as well, and I do have a job in the program. I would recommend doing no more than 15 hours a week with minimal other commitments if you do need to work. My employment workload varies a little bit, but I make a conscious effort to have no more than 15 hours per week, and I have a flexible employer that allows that. It is possible to do, but it does require focus, sticking to your schedule, and NOT PROCRASTINATING. Procrastination will be the death of you and your grades in this program.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Hmm maybe I need to rethink about applying this cycle then. Ive heard many med sci students apply to med school while they're in the program and that you can update your application with a few new grades and it'll be helpful. I've also heard the program doesn't really have anything to do with TCOM.

So that holds true for DO schools out of state and TCOM. Again, Texas MD schools are not looking at your MedSci grades even though you're updating them to TMDSAS. It sucked having to find this out towards the end of my cycle after wondering why I didn't get other interviews. I spoke to the A&M dean of admissions, since that school offers a file review at the end of the cycle, and he told me this same exact thing and told me that I made a mistake of applying concurrently if I really wanted my MedSci grades to help. He said that b/c I only got into TCOM and said that if I had applied this cycle that I definitely would've gotten an interview, so that sucks (he was actually very rude but that's a whole other story lol)

I don't know where you heard that TCOM has nothing to do with the program. Our curriculum is almost the exact same as their first year and we have the same professors and lectures. From my MedSci class of 210~, about 19-20 are going to TCOM next year.

So that holds true for DO schools out of state and TCOM. Again, Texas MD schools are not looking at your MedSci grades even though you're updating them to TMDSAS. It sucked having to find this out towards the end of my cycle after wondering why I didn't get other interviews. I spoke to the A&M dean of admissions, since that school offers a file review at the end of the cycle, and he told me this same exact thing and told me that I made a mistake of applying concurrently if I really wanted my MedSci grades to help. He said that b/c I only got into TCOM and said that if I had applied this cycle that I definitely would've gotten an interview, so that sucks (he was actually very rude but that's a whole other story lol)

I don't know where you heard that TCOM has nothing to do with the program. Our curriculum is almost the exact same as their first year and we have the same professors and lectures. From my MedSci class of 210~, about 19-20 are going to TCOM next year.

I went to A&M for undergrad and spoke with their med school dean/other staff people quite a bit at fairs and what not and they were always rude in my experiences as well :/

Members don't see this ad :)

Thanks for the reply. That's good to know. Do you know any others students who experienced the same thing? On the last year's thread, everybody recommended applying concurrently and was told that most students do.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

Hey guys, I'm a current MedSci and just wanted to reach out and give y'all some info about the program I wish I knew before going in:

1) This program does an amazing job of preparing you for medical school, especially for TCOM itself if you're lucky enough to be accepted. The classes are rigorous and you will have an overwhelming amount of resources to help you succeed.

2) If you're applying this upcoming cycle, your MedSci grades will NOT help you for Texas schools (except TCOM--more below). Texas schools will use your undergraduate work to determine your interview/acceptance status at their schools. That is something that I was completely unaware of and was told the exact opposite of by former students and faculty. Imagine my disappointment at not getting many interviews despite earning a 4.0 in the summer and fall haha. However, if you apply next cycle, or end up having to reapply, your MedSci grades will be CRUCIAL to your cycle and it's IMPORTANT TO EXCEL. This might be some of y'alls last shots at showing schools you can handle the level of coursework.

3) TCOM will be watching your grades in the MedSci program. To be honest, only the top percentage of students get interviews to their school, but there is no guarantee. I can't say how many people got interviews, but most that did were maintaining a 4.0 at the time of their interview (you will get called between October-December). I honestly don't know anyone that had a B in any of their classes at the time of their interview/now being accepted, but that's just my class. Having said that, a 4.0 does NOT GUARANTEE AN INTERVIEW. Unfortunately, I know a handful of people that fell into that category, and it sucks.

4) I'm going to assume that most of y'all that apply to this program have subpar GPA/MCATs, which is OK since you're taking this step to improve on yourself. Good job! If you don't care much about the whole DO vs MD thing, then apply liberally. There are a lot of DO schools who know our program very well and love to take students from here and do consider your MedSci grades as you concurrently apply. Judging from others experiences, since I didn't apply OOS, if you apply early then you will hear back much sooner than Texas schools.

From what you've said, should I just not apply this cycle if I want my MedSci grades to count? I'm doing this program mainly for a grade booster, so I want that to reflect on my application. Now I'm super conflicted on applying hahaha

Thanks for the reply. That's good to know. Do you know any others students who experienced the same thing? On the last year's thread, everybody recommended applying concurrently and was told that most students do.

Yeah, a lot of students weren't very aware of it--at least the ones I talk to regularly. Apply concurrently if you feel like your current stats are competitive enough and you want to start medical school right after your master's program. You will definitely be prepared for it. However, if you think you can excel in medsci and really need those grades, then consider waiting another year, if you can and avoid applying twice.

From what you've said, should I just not apply this cycle if I want my MedSci grades to count? I'm doing this program mainly for a grade booster, so I want that to reflect on my application. Now I'm super conflicted on applying hahaha

Hi, look right above haha

Can any MedSci students/alum talk about what the daily schedule is like from semester to semester? I'm going to be opting out of the MCAT prep this summer and am curious about what the weekly schedule will be like! I will probably also take the optional Biochem intro course. I haven't been successful looking on past threads or on the UNT website for information about the scheduling.

Can any MedSci students/alum talk about what the daily schedule is like from semester to semester? I'm going to be opting out of the MCAT prep this summer and am curious about what the weekly schedule will be like! I will probably also take the optional Biochem intro course. I haven't been successful looking on past threads or on the UNT website for information about the scheduling.

Fall: Morning classes at 8am till either 10/11 it varies day to day. Then T/W/R you have an afternoon class from either 12/1 till either 3/4. Online class on your own.
Spring: Same mornings but can go till 12 b/c you'll have two classes that day. R afternoon 1-4 is a class. Online class on your own. And anatomy lab 2-3x a week for an hour each.

Fall: Morning classes at 8am till either 10/11 it varies day to day. Then T/W/R you have an afternoon class from either 12/1 till either 3/4. Online class on your own.
Spring: Same mornings but can go till 12 b/c you'll have two classes that day. R afternoon 1-4 is a class. Online class on your own. And anatomy lab 2-3x a week for an hour each.

Thanks!! Any idea about summer?

So does the whole 200+ group have class together?

Members don't see this ad :)
yeah what??? even the elective biochem course? @Kespio101
Current medsci here as well. No, the elective biochem course is in the main lecture halls. You will receive more information soon about your future schedules as more students are accepted and the the orientation leaders are added to the FB group.

Current medsci here as well. No, the elective biochem course is in the main lecture halls. You will receive more information soon about your future schedules as more students are accepted and the the orientation leaders are added to the FB group.

Awesome, I enjoy in person courses so I am glad to hear that. Thanks for the info! I'm definitely looking forward to getting more details, there are still only 25 people in the fb group so it seems like it will be awhile longer.

All the summer courses are online?! Even exams?

Lol well the main course is just biostats in summer and you only take the final in a classroom. Like someone else just said, you'll get exact information soon enough.

Biochem is optional. I didn't take it and it didn't affect me negatively. You learn the same stuff in the Fall biochemistry class is what I heard. I don't think the summer one goes as in depth as it's supposed to be a basic refresher. I opted out and got my money back for the class.

Does anyone know if they give any sort of grants or scholarships? Or do we have to be crushed under the weight of more student loans?

Does anyone know if they give any sort of grants or scholarships? Or do we have to be crushed under the weight of more student loans?

Not sure about the grants, but I know there are some scholarship opportunities - UNT Health Science Center - External Opportunities and UNT Health Science Center - Our Opportunities , though most are expired till summer/fall. You can also access the scholarship page by logging into myHSC and under the student tab (default tab) there's a subsection saying 'Scholarship Opportunities'.

Lol well the main course is just biostats in summer and you only take the final in a classroom. Like someone else just said, you'll get exact information soon enough.

Biochem is optional. I didn't take it and it didn't affect me negatively. You learn the same stuff in the Fall biochemistry class is what I heard. I don't think the summer one goes as in depth as it's supposed to be a basic refresher. I opted out and got my money back for the class.

Yeah I'm opting into it since I'm not going to do the MCAT prep and also just to brush up on it, haven't taken biochem since Fall '15

I was accepted to the program this afternoon! Really excited!

Reactions: 4 users
Congratulations! Mind sharing your stats and when you applied and when your app was marked as complete???

Sure! It was recommended that I apply as Pre-PA so that I could use my GRE score. I will be applying to PA school next year if I don't get into med school this year. I don't know if it matters but this is the second time I applied to this program. I am an older applicant and have had a lot of good/bad life experience to write about in my essays.
BS in Biochemistry UT Austin
cGPA 3.64
sGPA 3.64
MCAT (23, 495, 495)
GRE 313 (155/158), 4.5 writing

Reactions: 1 users
Sure! It was recommended that I apply as Pre-PA so that I could use my GRE score. I will be applying to PA school next year if I don't get into med school this year. I don't know if it matters but this is the second time I applied to this program. I am an older applicant and have had a lot of good/bad life experience to write about in my essays.
BS in Biochemistry UT Austin
cGPA 3.64
sGPA 3.64
MCAT (23, 495, 495)
GRE 313 (155/158), 4.5 writing
I applied on Jan 16, I think I was complete around Feb 1. I didn't write it down.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using SDN mobile app

Accepted yesterday! cGPA 3.32 and MCAT 503. App complete Jan 26th

Does anyone have any info on how helpful the MCAT class is? I think I can improve my score since I only studied for 6 weeks. Also, isn't it recommended that we take the MCAT by July latest? When in the summer is the MCAT prep class and how long does it go for? I would assume its scheduled so we take the MCAT right after by taking it in August would be a little late for the cycle...

On another note, I will be staying in Frisco with family so as to save costs. Anyone else commuting from there? Maybe we can set up a carpool.

Does anyone have any info on how helpful the MCAT class is? I think I can improve my score since I only studied for 6 weeks. Also, isn't it recommended that we take the MCAT by July latest? When in the summer is the MCAT prep class and how long does it go for? I would assume its scheduled so we take the MCAT right after by taking it in August would be a little late for the cycle...

On another note, I will be staying in Frisco with family so as to save costs. Anyone else commuting from there? Maybe we can set up a carpool.
MCAT prep is through Kaplan and lasts until august. You can take the MCAT whenever you want but that is up to you. Earlier the MCAT the better but you should take it whenever you are ready to take it. You can also find carpool buddies in the FB group

can someone please give me the link to unt master of medsci 2017 facebook page? Thank you

Hey, can you please give me insights about in-state tuition (main tuition+ school fee + books)? And have you gotten any acceptance to medical school yet? Thank you so much

Hey, can you please give me insights about in-state tuition (main tuition+ school fee + books)? And have you gotten any acceptance to medical school yet? Thank you so much

for the Master's program it's looking like 12k+ for in-state tuition from what I remember

You're going to pay around 12K+ for tuition and fees for the year. Also, I didn't apply this cycle for personal reasons.

Does anyone know how much out-of-state tuition and fees are? I think it's 33k but i'm not sure.

The link is in the acceptance email

Thank you so much for answering. I search for this "UNTHSC MEDS/CRM/BIOT 2017-18" (without quotations) on fb but it doesn't work. Am I doing it wrong?

Thank you so much for answering. I search for this "UNTHSC MEDS/CRM/BIOT 2017-18" (without quotations) on fb but it doesn't work. Am I doing it wrong?

that's the exact name of the group so I'm not sure why you're not finding it

I am looking for roommates/ apartment near school (preferably girls since I am one). Please email me if you are interested. My email address is [email protected]. Thank you. and Good Luck to everybody who hasn't gotten in. I hope yall get that acceptance letter soon. And I cant wait to see my new classmates. Let s study together or something.:)

If I get accepted I'll be commuting from Flower Mound

My brother just received an acceptance today. He is a predental student. :)

Reactions: 3 users
Got accepted earlier today! 3.1 cGPA/510 MCAT

cGPA: 3.17
sGPA: 3.11

DAT:
-AA21
-TS22
-PA23

I submitted the app 2/1
Thank you!
Way to go dude! You killed the PAT. I made a 21 AA and TS but only made a 19 on PAT :/ And I'm an artist so I was disappointed haha. Hopefully I'll see you in May. If I get accepted, we need to get a Pre-Dental society together if they don't already have one.
I submitted my app on 2/6 but it wasn't marked complete until 2/27. When was your app marked complete?

Wondering if I'm the only one who didn't get all the supporting materials in until early March...can't wait to hear my acceptance/denial the day before orientation

Wondering if I'm the only one who didn't get all the supporting materials in until early March...can't wait to hear my acceptance/denial the day before orientation

I'm with you on that boat. 3rd rec letter wasn't turned in until the 14th, marked as completed on that day after a phone call.
Mostly worried about figuring out housing with so little time...rolling admissions are terrifying.

The last day to get accepted/denied would be the day before orientation, which is April 4th?

I didn't get everything complete until the last day of February!
The last day to get accepted/denied would be the day before orientation, which is April 4th?
I think thats the Housing Day. Our actual orientation starts on May 24th I believe. But others may know more than I do :)

Last edited:
I didn't get everything complete until the last day of February!

I think thats the Housing Day. Our actual orientation starts on May 24th I believe. But others may know more than I do :)

April 4th is not anything i dont think. April 8th is MyHSC day which is not mandatory. May 24-26th is orientation

Reactions: 3 users
April 4th is not anything i dont think. April 8th is MyHSC day which is not mandatory. May 24-26th is orientation

What exactly occurs during MyHSC Day? And would orientation day be similar to undergrad where we all sign up for classes?