UNTHSC/TCOM M.S. in Medical Sciences (Texas)-SMP 2017-2018

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I haven't been able to find much information about financial aid and scholarships/grants. Is there any free money involved? If so, are we automatically considered for scholarships and grants after our FAFSA is reviewed? If not, what kinds of loans to most students get?

Both my and my dad's income was higher than normal in 2015. Since providing parent information is optional for independent students, should I just not include my parents' financial information so I have a better shot at grants?

Members don't see this ad.

I haven't been able to find much information about financial aid and scholarships/grants. Is there any free money involved? If so, are we automatically considered for scholarships and grants after our FAFSA is reviewed? If not, what kinds of loans to most students get?

Both my and my dad's income was higher than normal in 2015. Since providing parent information is optional for independent students, should I just not include my parents' financial information so I have a better shot at grants?

There was a general scholarship application due March 1st that would make us eligible for scholarships/grants; but the majority of acceptances occurred after the initial February 27th acceptance date, this is not applicable. I know that there is a direct unsubsidized loan that all students are eligible for (amount of $20,500) that will be distributed across three semesters if you decide to accept it. In general, they said that they will release information regarding financial aid 2-3 weeks before class begins, so perhaps around the second week of May.

Accepted just now! Completed March 10

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Accepted!!!
Submitted app on 12/14. Completed with "defer decision" since early March.
Undergrad GPA from 2012: 3.0
Post-bacc GPA since then: 3.85
MCAT: 504

Best of luck to everyone in limbo!

Just got accepted 20 minutes ago!

cGPA 3.3 MCAT 503!
App completed on 2/17. Was "defer decision" for like ever (since spring break), so DONT LOSE HOPE!

Congratulations everyone! The anxiety and anticipation is finally over!

Reactions: 1 users
I got in!!! Nerves gone I can enjoy my weekend finally!

Also can someone add me to the FB group? I'm seriously needing to find roommates or something. I love 10 hours away from this place lol.

Reactions: 1 user
ACCEPTED TODAY!!!!!
3.7 GPA
500 MCAT

Also, I have a family-related commitment during orientation and the first day of class and I absolutely cannot be there, but I did see the "excused absence" option, so I will do that for sure. How much trouble am I going to be in?

So if I want to take the MCAT and the biochem refresher courses I need to go ahead and move up there at the end of May??

This might be a stupid question, but how do we see tuition?

Also, I have a family-related commitment during orientation and the first day of class and I absolutely cannot be there, but I did see the "excused absence" option, so I will do that for sure. How much trouble am I going to be in?

I know that an excused absence is an option, but I feel like you'll miss out on a lot of valuable information about the program, since you'll start by just jumping into classes. However, if it's unavoidable, it shouldn't be too big a deal since we're all going through the same thing and we'll be more than happy to catch you up!

So if I want to take the MCAT and the biochem refresher courses I need to go ahead and move up there at the end of May??

That'd be recommended since you'll have the MCAT course most days of the week and biochemistry everyday (not 100% sure since the schedule isn't finalized) - it'd be quite difficult and bothersome to commute daily.

This might be a stupid question, but how do we see tuition?

This is a general spreadsheet of the expected costs - note that housing is set for $1,500/month which is not really realistic.
https://www.unthsc.edu/students/wp-content/uploads/sites/26/GSBS-2016-2017.pdf

This is a question more for people who've already been through the program...I'm starting the MedSci program this year and applying this cycle. I would assume that I should rewrite my PS that I used for the MedSci App if I'm going to be applying to TCOM? Any advice on this?

Thanks.

Does anyone know what it means when your application status just says "Application"?

Accepted yesterday as well, Congrats everyone!!!!

Any current or previous MedSci students that can give some information about the weekly summer schedule? I haven't seen any specific information about the classes. (For example: MCAT prep M/W/F, Biochem T/Th, etc.)

Members don't see this ad :)
Any current or previous MedSci students that can give some information about the weekly summer schedule? I haven't seen any specific information about the classes. (For example: MCAT prep M/W/F, Biochem T/Th, etc.)

PM me your email. I'll forward the one that was sent out by one of the faculty members earlier.

Awesome! Thanks :).

I will be applying this cycle! I spoke with TCOM and they recommended to do so, although they said it is likely they will hold the app because they will want to see the MedSci grades on my application as they become available, since my GPA is my weakness. It may be helpful to reach out to some of the schools you are interested in and see what they would recommend based on your situation!

I know that an excused absence is an option, but I feel like you'll miss out on a lot of valuable information about the program, since you'll start by just jumping into classes. However, if it's unavoidable, it shouldn't be too big a deal since we're all going through the same thing and we'll be more than happy to catch you up!

That'd be recommended since you'll have the MCAT course most days of the week and biochemistry everyday (not 100% sure since the schedule isn't finalized) - it'd be quite difficult and bothersome to commute daily.

This is a general spreadsheet of the expected costs - note that housing is set for $1,500/month which is not really realistic.
https://www.unthsc.edu/students/wp-content/uploads/sites/26/GSBS-2016-2017.pdf
Thank you so much!! I think that's what I'll have to do then.

Hey guys, so I'm a bit conflicted on when to move to Fort Worth. My school gets out mid-June and I'm aware that the Biostats course is online, but I'm still confused on when I should move into the area. Should I move in as soon as I'm out of school? Thanks for all the help! :)

Hey guys, so I'm a bit conflicted on when to move to Fort Worth. My school gets out mid-June and I'm aware that the Biostats course is online, but I'm still confused on when I should move into the area. Should I move in as soon as I'm out of school? Thanks for all the help! :)

Hey I was confused too! I emailed an admin about this and was told if Biostats is the only class you are taking (like if you don't have to take the MCAT course and are not taking the optional Biochem review course) that you would be fine to wait to move up for the Fall. I personally will only be in the online biostats course and will be doing my preceptorship in my hometown and will be moving up for the Fall, this will be best for me to save money! I am going to commute for the mandatory workshops and stay with a friend who lives in Dallas. Seems like a lot of others are waiting until August to move up as well! I was worried about "missing out" by not moving up right away but I have been given the impression by current MedScis that it really doesnt make a difference anyways since no one will be in the classroom together until Fall. Hope this helps!

Hey I was confused too! I emailed an admin about this and was told if Biostats is the only class you are taking (like if you don't have to take the MCAT course and are not taking the optional Biochem review course) that you would be fine to wait to move up for the Fall. I personally will only be in the online biostats course and will be doing my preceptorship in my hometown and will be moving up for the Fall, this will be best for me to save money! I am going to commute for the mandatory workshops and stay with a friend who lives in Dallas. Seems like a lot of others are waiting until August to move up as well! I was worried about "missing out" by not moving up right away but I have been given the impression by current MedScis that it really doesnt make a difference anyways since no one will be in the classroom together until Fall. Hope this helps!
Thank you so much! I'm glad that we don't have to move in right away lol

Thank you so much! I'm glad that we don't have to move in right away lol

Me too! I would've moved in a heartbeat if I needed to do the MCAT course or if biostats wasn't online but I am glad to have some time to plan, let my current lease end, and look for a place in FW!

I really want to know what comes with this tech package.

Anyone know if we actually need to buy the Biostatistics text book? I remember reading on a previous MedSci thread about which text books you will actually need and for which classes, but I can't find it now.

No book is needed for Biostats, nor any other class because they provide online access via ClinicalKey. Biostats used mainly online resources for all of the class modules. Other classes use the book as supplementary info, with the majority of testable material coming from the lecture powerpoints. The only really useful book I used was Netter's Anatomy in the spring semester, and I really didn't use it much even then. Also, your Orientation Leaders will provide you with a very, very useful compilation of this year's notes and practice questions.

Reactions: 4 users
No book is needed for Biostats, nor any other class because they provide online access via ClinicalKey. Biostats used mainly online resources for all of the class modules. Other classes use the book as supplementary info, with the majority of testable material coming from the lecture powerpoints. The only really useful book I used was Netter's Anatomy in the spring semester, and I really didn't use it much even then. Also, your Orientation Leaders will provide you with a very, very useful compilation of this year's notes and practice questions.

We get free online access to the biostats book?

is anybody's application status still "submitted"? my application was submitted march 10th, but it still hasn't been reviewed

So about the tech package, are we only allowed to use the Mac they give us during class even if we have our own that we used during undergrad? I'm just kind of confused why they want us to buy another computer if we already have a working one. Thanks for the help!

is anybody's application status still "submitted"? my application was submitted march 10th, but it still hasn't been reviewed
My app was marked complete around March 4th or so...It is peculiar that a few people that submitted after me have already been accepted while I haven't even been reviewed yet! Just gonna keep waiting it out I suppose.

Just in case anyone asks before the next round of admissions pops up, the current count of members in the FB group is 163.

I'm a little confused about exactly how credits here work.

https://www.unthsc.edu/graduate-sch...ly-the-post-baccalaureate-premedical-program/

Online it says that the summer courses add up to 8-12 credit hours, but I heard that BioStats is the only course that is counted towards GPA. Do we just received "credits" for everything altogether in the form of hours in August? - including workshops, preceptorships, etc.

I'm also in a dilemma right now where I would have to miss the first week of classes/workshops since my current work contract won't allow me to leave until second week begins. Could anyone also comment on how much material I'll be missing? I took a look at the calendar, and it seems like I'll be missing tons of interesting information :(

Online it says that the summer courses add up to 8-12 credit hours, but I heard that BioStats is the only course that is counted towards GPA. Do we just received "credits" for everything altogether in the form of hours in August? - including workshops, preceptorships, etc.

Yes, Biostatistics is the only course that counts towards your GPA, the others are considered pass/fail so you'll still get credit hours for that, it's just not factored into your GPA. You can think of it as their way of keep tracking of whether or not you met the requirements in the summer, be it workshops, preceptorship, MCAT prep course, etc. Meanwhile once the fall and spring start, all courses will be factored into your GPA.

I'm also in a dilemma right now where I would have to miss the first week of classes/workshops since my current work contract won't allow me to leave until second week begins. Could anyone also comment on how much material I'll be missing? I took a look at the calendar, and it seems like I'll be missing tons of interesting information :(

I know some people that are in the situation where they're currently enrolled in an institution that utilizes the quarter system, so they don't get out till the 2nd week of June. Some of these people have posted on the Facebook group so I'd say your best bet is to message them to see what they think. You can also contact the program coordinators for exact details on what you'll miss and things like that. I'm sure worse comes to worse, we, your peers and classmates can just catch you up on the things that you missed out on!

Waitlisted.. Anyone familiar with what I can expect from here on out??

Waitlisted.. Anyone familiar with what I can expect from here on out??

On previous medsci threads that I have seen, some people posted on there at various times saying they declined their acceptance because of job offers or other school acceptances etc. You may want to take a look at those past threads to see the timeline for people getting off the waitlist! Some people declined their acceptance later in May so that could be a possibility here too.

Yes, Biostatistics is the only course that counts towards your GPA, the others are considered pass/fail so you'll still get credit hours for that, it's just not factored into your GPA. You can think of it as their way of keep tracking of whether or not you met the requirements in the summer, be it workshops, preceptorship, MCAT prep course, etc. Meanwhile once the fall and spring start, all courses will be factored into your GPA.

I'm planning on taking Biochemistry because 1) it helps with the MCAT prep and 2) more exposure before getting slammed in the fall. That course isn't calculated into GPA?

I'm planning on taking Biochemistry because 1) it helps with the MCAT prep and 2) more exposure before getting slammed in the fall. That course isn't calculated into GPA?

Nope! It gets graded as a pass/fail course, notice the superscript (2) attached onto the course name. https://www.unthsc.edu/graduate-sch...ly-the-post-baccalaureate-premedical-program/

I think it might be better to just review biochemistry for the MCAT on your own time since that's what I'm planning on doing rather than worrying about an extra course!

So did everyone already fill out FAFSA or am I the only one that barely submitted it?? :( Im worried its too late!

So did everyone already fill out FAFSA or am I the only one that barely submitted it?? :( Im worried its too late!

I submitted it in early March, but I think it's fine if you're submitting it now since (1) financial aid has yet to be released and (2) acceptances are still being handed out (to my knowledge) so those that have just been accepted or will be accepted will also be in the pool of 'late' FASFA submissions.

So about the tech package, are we only allowed to use the Mac they give us during class even if we have our own that we used during undergrad? I'm just kind of confused why they want us to buy another computer if we already have a working one. Thanks for the help!

They have you download a specific exam software on the computer that comes with the technology package. Forking over the money for a new computer stinks, but they're gonna make you do it. We had a bunch of people ask about using existing computers, and the answer was no every time. I think one of the testing admins said something about having everyone get the same computer to make sure there weren't compatibility issues or something like that, but I can't exactly remember.

Nope! It gets graded as a pass/fail course, notice the superscript (2) attached onto the course name. https://www.unthsc.edu/graduate-sch...ly-the-post-baccalaureate-premedical-program/

I think it might be better to just review biochemistry for the MCAT on your own time since that's what I'm planning on doing rather than worrying about an extra course!

Very true. Definitely need to ask about it during orientation to see if there's any significant disadvantages to dropping it. I took it in 2015, but have gone over many of the concepts this past summer while MCAT studying as well as in general phys. I really didn't want to be blind-sided by the killer fall semester either!

I submitted it in early March, but I think it's fine if you're submitting it now since (1) financial aid has yet to be released and (2) acceptances are still being handed out (to my knowledge) so those that have just been accepted or will be accepted will also be in the pool of 'late' FASFA submissions.

Thanks! I feel more at ease now, I also emailed financial aid

Just out of curiosity, what is everyone doing leading up to the start of classes? I'm not working and won't be in school until classes start and don't really know what to do with my time besides applying to medical school on the 1st. I feel unproductive and frankly kind of bored.. are y'all taking this time to relax and be lazy or trying to be productive somehow?

Just out of curiosity, what is everyone doing leading up to the start of classes? I'm not working and won't be in school until classes start and don't really know what to do with my time besides applying to medical school on the 1st. I feel unproductive and frankly kind of bored.. are y'all taking this time to relax and be lazy or trying to be productive somehow?

I have finals up until May 15th and graduation a few days later, so I won't have much time to do anything - but I would just recommend traveling (if that's an option), since I'm sure we'll have our hands filled once the semester begins.

If you want to be productive for your application, I'd recommend shadowing (this could also be applied to the preceptorship hours for the program).

I have finals up until May 15th and graduation a few days later, so I won't have much time to do anything - but I would just recommend traveling (if that's an option), since I'm sure we'll have our hands filled once the semester begins.

If you want to be productive for your application, I'd recommend shadowing (this could also be applied to the preceptorship hours for the program).

Thanks for the info! I wish I had more money to travel, haha. I wouldn't be able to go anywhere exciting with my current financial situation.

I am still a tiny bit confused about the preceptorship stuff. I am shadowing a pediatric cardiologist starting in May, so I am getting to see his daily routine, but would I need to find someone in primary care for the preceptorship? (that's a requirement for the preceptorship right?) Sorry if that's been discussed before, I would love to be able to use these hours with the cardiologist towards the preceptorship!

EDIT- just saw that this was discussed on FB group and we can shadow any specialty besides EM. ignore me lol

Last edited:

I graduated in December so all this semester I was working full time in a clinic and studying for my MCAT. When I found out I got in I told the physician I was working for and he said that I should spend the next few weeks relaxing. So I've been hitting the gym daily and playing video games. There's nothing wrong with being lazy lol, this next year will require a lot of attention so it's cool to relax for now.

Also anyone moving up before orientation? It be cool if we all could for a group or something and go hangout

Congrats everyone who just got accepted! Just finally was accepted last Friday! Did anyone else have to wait a few days/week before getting added to the fb group by the Admins? I accepted the offer like the email said. I'm a little anxious to try and figure out a living situation and see what everyone else is doing, I just want to know whether anyone else waited a while before being added?

Last edited:
Hey! Are any guys interested in living in a higher end apartment complex with a bunch of nice amenities? Let me know! It's about a 7 min drive from campus.