UNTHSC M.S. in Medical Sciences (Texas)-SMP 2019-2020

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
:whoa:That's a lot of acceptances. lol At this point my patience is as thin as public tissue paper.
Yeah I mean last year the group was at 265, but I feel the exact same way.

Members don't see this ad.

I know right??? But no nothing today. I think they might hold out until next week or something.
I’m about to accept my fate and consider other options, I mean best case we are on waitlist hopefully.

I’m about to accept my fate and consider other options, I mean best case we are on waitlist hopefully.

I hope so. I applied in January and they received my last transcript in Feb. So if they’re going in order I’m guessing I’m in some sort of “maybe” pile? The wait is almost unbearable though...I just want to know.

Members don't see this ad :)
I hope so. I applied in January and they received my last transcript in Feb. So if they’re going in order I’m guessing I’m in some sort of “maybe” pile? The wait is almost unbearable though...I just want to know.
Wait, did you like call to check status or to see if your app had been reviewed? I called and they told me it hasn't been reviewed yet but will be coming up for review this month. LOL the wait is very nerve wrecking. I try so hard to distract myself with other things but merely impossible. It should be a crime to keep us waiting, anxious, and producing cortisol to the nth degree.

Wait, did you like call to check status or to see if your app had been reviewed? I called and they told me it hasn't been reviewed yet but will be coming up for review this month. LOL the wait is very nerve wrecking. I try so hard to distract myself with other things but merely impossible. It should be a crime to keep us waiting, anxious, and producing cortisol to the nth degree.
No I haven’t called, I’m just assuming since people who applied way later have already heard back. The application portal says complete though so I’m hoping it’s accurate lol.

Reactions: 1 user
No I haven’t called, I’m just assuming since people who applied way later have already heard back. The application portal says complete though so I’m hoping it’s accurate lol.
Mine says complete as well, maybe they just forgot to reject us :/

Well, I just found out that I was wait-listed at ________ ________ b/c my MCAT score won't release until 4/16... I guess that's better than a flat out no.

:eyebrow:~SIGHS~:annoyed:

Last edited:
Wait so if you don’t take the biochem class in the summer, you don’t have to pay for it?
Nope! You only pay for what you enroll in. Intro biochem is 100% opt-in, and MCAT prep is required for MCATs < 508 (unless they change the cutoff this year - they'll let you know.) but if you did better than that and want to take it anyway you can opt-in. I personally won't be surprised if the minimum MCAT to opt out of MCAT prep is changed this year, because the median matriculant MCAT in Texas jumped this past cycle.

...MCAT prep is required for MCATs < 508 (unless they change the cutoff this year - they'll let you know.) but if you did better than that and want to take it anyway you can opt-in. I personally won't be surprised if the minimum MCAT to opt out of MCAT prep is changed this year, because the median matriculant MCAT in Texas jumped this past cycle.

Admitted to this year's program. MCAT cutoff is still 508.

I guess maybe we’ll hear something tomorrow? *sigh*

Members don't see this ad :)
Know a guy who was accepted today, FML

• Wow
I know they look at the last 60 hours, but for the overall GPA do they calculate it like TMDSAS does? My last 60 hours are phenomenal (straight As) so the GPA in this institution isn't horrible (~3.45), but before that I was in another institution where my GPA is looooow (~2.3). And do they really put more emphasis on these last 60 hours? Also, how do they choose the last 60 hours? I think 57 credits will be pure A's, but for the remaining 3 they'll have to get the credit from a semester when I had B's and A's. Will they take the A or B into consideration? lol. sorry for all the questions.
The UNT SMP looks at the last 60 credits?

I’m hoping today is the day we hear back!

Reactions: 2 users
I noticed the Facebook group went from 108 members to 119 members today. I believe there will be another round today or in the next few days because I think who declined their offers did so last week and those who accepted were added to group.

Reactions: 1 users
I noticed the Facebook group went from 108 members to 119 members today. I believe there will be another round today or in the next few days because I think who declined their offers did so last week and those who accepted were added to group.

the facebook group has been going up steadily throughout the week last week :( hopefully we'll all hear something soon!

Guys and Gals,

if no one hasn't already told you before. Please don't put all your eggs in one basket. I know it's a hard and difficult decision to apply to more than one SMP especially out of the state. Just remember as long as the SMP has some affiliations and good stats, you can make your way into medicine. Knock on several doors, somebody is bound to open at least one of them.

~Happy Monday~

The Facebook group recently added OL's (current students who will be orientation leaders for the incoming class) which is why the number has increased.

I believe that those of us that applied a bit earlier with so/so stats are on the waitlist, and they are waiting for 04/10/19 to see who all have accepted their admission/declined it.

I believe that those of us that applied a bit earlier with so/so stats are on the waitlist, and they are waiting for 04/10/19 to see who all have accepted their admission/declined it.
That’s what I believe too - some sort of “maybe” list lol. It’s better than a rejection though so I still have hope!

That’s what I believe too - some sort of “maybe” list lol. It’s better than a rejection though so I still have hope!

Wouldn't they email to let us know that we have been waitlisted though?

Wouldn't they email to let us know that we have been waitlisted though?
I think they go through the apps in order. And I believe we might be in a “maybe” pile that they couldn’t decide on. Not necessarily the official waitlist. But those are just my thoughts and the only thing that makes sense to me.

Reactions: 2 users
I think they go through the apps in order. And I believe we might be in a “maybe” pile that they couldn’t decide on. Not necessarily the official waitlist. But those are just my thoughts and the only thing that makes sense to me.
Ahhhhh, I understand. Try to occupy yourself a little. Don't stress over their slow process of keeping us updated.

Didn’t someone say they offer acceptances up until June? We just gotta be patient.

I’ll be applying to 3 more SMPs today.

Somebody has to accept me, right?

Didn’t someone say they offer acceptances up until June? We just gotta be patient.

Absolutely. that's the mindset. I had a phone interview with LMU-DCOM yesterday. They have linkage with their DO program. It was a bit nerve wrecking. I was nervous, anxious, happy and excited

Orientation starts late May so I’d guess may at the latest?

:clap:Well, I got an acceptance into LMU's SMP program in Tennessee. I'm excited. :bow:
I just submitted my app last month on 3/15, and had a phone interview 4/8. I know it's not for an MD program but DO is just fine with me. Their deadline is June. I encourage you all to submit apps to other SMP programs even if they aren't in Texas.
As always good luck to everyone and I hope that you can get in somewhere.

~Kind Regards~

Reactions: 5 users
:clap:Well, I got an acceptance into LMU's SMP program in Tennessee. I'm excited. :bow:
I just submitted my app last month on 3/15, and had a phone interview 4/8. I know it's not for an MD program but DO is just fine with me. Their deadline is June. I encourage you all to submit apps to other SMP programs even if they aren't in Texas.
As always good luck to everyone and I hope that you can get in somewhere.

~Kind Regards~
Congratulation!!! :soexcited:

Just got an acceptance email!! Super excited! Have to accept the offer by 04/24

Last edited:
Reactions: 4 users
Thank you guys! It's been a stressful period with this waiting game. Good luck to those still waiting to hear back. :)

Also got accepted! Submitted 2/28, accepted 4/10. cGPA 3.56 MCAT 501 :)

Reactions: 5 users
Definitely happy for you all; although I definitely feel a rejection coming my way :/ Congrats to those accepted!

Definitely happy for you all; although I definitely feel a rejection coming my way :/ Congrats to those accepted!
Don’t get down - you haven’t gotten a rejection letter so keep having hope! I haven’t received anything yet either and I applied in Jan.

Don’t get down - you haven’t gotten a rejection letter so keep having hope! I haven’t received anything yet either and I applied in Jan.
Hopefully its just the bottom of the waitlist. My MCAT was extremely low, but I was still hoping recs and GPA could carry.

Anyone else hear anything? I'm hoping that they maybe just sent a few earlier & there could be more to come?

I also got accepted at 12:29 PM today. My stats are: GPA 3.28 DAT: 18 I submitted my application on 02/27 and application was completed on 03/04 Good luck to all who are still waiting, your time will come soon <3