UNTHSC M.S. in Medical Sciences (Texas)-SMP 2017-2018

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Right on. Diversity is important! I don't have a FB, but as soon as I get that sweet sounding email, I shall make one for the purposes of being in the in-group.
Also, sweet name. Reminds me of a video I saw in HS

Don't have a FB either but do have the FB messenger app. Any way to get added to a group chat?

Members don't see this ad.

That sounds like having a FB yet, without the privilege of being sucked into viewing a more or less dramatic news feed. But, that would be cool.
Just a thought though: maybe you would want to make a FB again too, and just keep it professional? Like adding the MedSci group and stuff of that nature. And this time you don't have to add all of your wild friends who are still in party/crazy mode, or any of those that might not represent your front stage self the way you wish to be. That way, perhaps FB could be enjoyable/valuable to have again. And then spending time on it would be like talking here on SDN - mixed in with educational stuff, personal development tips, upcoming opportunities, events, and all that jazz.

I would definitely advise those without FB to get it, at least for the purpose of the FB group. From what I've read about previous years, a lot of lecture notes, tidbits from class, social gatherings, etc will be posted on the FB group... so it seems like a good way to stay in the loop.

That sounds like having a FB yet, without the privilege of being sucked into viewing a more or less dramatic news feed. But, that would be cool.
Just a thought though: maybe you would want to make a FB again too, and just keep it professional? Like adding the MedSci group and stuff of that nature. And this time you don't have to add all of your wild friends who are still in party/crazy mode, or any of those that might not represent your front stage self the way you wish to be. That way, perhaps FB could be enjoyable/valuable to have again. And then spending time on it would be like talking here on SDN - mixed in with educational stuff, personal development tips, upcoming opportunities, events, and all that jazz.

That makes sense, I finally gave in and made a "bare bones" profile just for this. Don't intend on adding anybody though so it's just so I can stay in the loop. I don't want it to become a huge time suck like it was before.

Members don't see this ad :)
Does anyone know if this is spring break week for UNT HSC? FYI Thursday is the last day to send in supporting documents for anyone who is trying to finish their application. I was told that my application is still under review and that they do not know when a decision will be made. This waiting game has worn me down quite a bit. My GPA is competitive however, my DAT is below the average. I really hope that they see my upward gpa trend along with my essays, LOR and ECs in a holistic manner. I was complete in early January!

Reactions: 1 user
Does anyone know if this is spring break week for UNT HSC? FYI Thursday is the last day to send in supporting documents for anyone who is trying to finish their application. I was told that my application is still under review and that they do not know when a decision will be made. This waiting game has worn me down quite a bit. My GPA is competitive however, my DAT is below the average. I really hope that they see my upward gpa trend along with my essays, LOR and ECs in a holistic manner. I was complete in early January!

Technically we are on spring break, however, that break was just for a day lol. We have an exam tomorrow sooo I would assume offices are up and running as usual throughout the week. And don't lose hope! Theres still plenty of time to hear back!

Most people didn't get the scholarship, as far as I know. They just took out the $20k loan, and maybe the GradPLUS loan if they needed it.

When do we find out about if we've been given a loan? Applied to FAFSA back in October/November and put UNTHSC as one of my schools. I haven't been awarded anything yet, and honestly can't remember when loan awards are sent out. I plan on only doing the $20,000

Hello fellow future classmates! I just have a quick question for those who might be on the same boat as I am.

First, I am honored to be accepted into this program! My concern is that I am currently waitlisted for 5 medical schools, and I know that the summer semester starts the end of May and runs until early August....but what happens if I get an acceptance call off of the waitlist during my summer semester here at UNTHSC? Any advice? Thanks!

but what happens if I get an acceptance call off of the waitlist during my summer semester here at UNTHSC? Any advice? Thanks!

I personally know a guy who got accepted into UNTHSC GSBS MS Med Sci like you and was waitlisted elsewhere. 1 WEEK BEFORE the start of med school at TTUHSC Paul L Foster SOM in El Paso, TX, ONE WEEK before school started, they called him up and told him that he was admitted. And he ended up cancelling his apartment lease in Fort Worth and moving all the way back to El Paso (his hometown) to go to med school!!!! And this was in 2016.

I say if you get accepted, drop out of the UNTHSC program and go straight to med school! An acceptance is an acceptance!

I personally know a guy who got accepted into UNTHSC GSBS MS Med Sci like you and was waitlisted elsewhere. 1 WEEK BEFORE the start of med school at TTUHSC Paul L Foster SOM in El Paso, TX, ONE WEEK before school started, they called him up and told him that he was admitted. And he ended up cancelling his apartment lease in Fort Worth and moving all the way back to El Paso (his hometown) to go to med school!!!! And this was in 2016.

I say if you get accepted, drop out of the UNTHSC program and go straight to med school! An acceptance is an acceptance!
Hey, did you get your acceptance email yet?

Hey, did you get your acceptance email yet?

So, I did end up getting my acceptance email.
On the MyHSC website, I have listed 2 emails:
1. home email
2. Work email (which was automatically labelled as preferred by the portal)
And for some reason, they ended up emailing my home email instead.

That's awesome! I know that people have dropped out in the middle to go to med school before, but I wasn't sure if they'll be dropping with a W or....? But I'm guessing the accepting med school wouldn't care at that point since they offered acceptance. Regardless, thanks for your response!

So does anyone know if they are still sending out acceptances through out the break ?

Hi guys, I was looking at the GSBS academic calendar for school breaks. Is it right to assume that Med Sci goes by this calendar? Also, if there is a break between summer and fall (sometime in August) can a current student verify how long that break is?

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi guys, I was looking at the GSBS academic calendar for school breaks. Is it right to assume that Med Sci goes by this calendar? Also, if there is a break between summer and fall (sometime in August) can a current student verify how long that break is?
Our summer break was Aug. 5 - Aug. 13. Most people took their MCAT at some point during this week, though, so it's not much of a "break".
Winter break was much nicer, though - Dec. 1 - Jan. 8.

Our summer break was Aug. 5 - Aug. 13. Most people took their MCAT at some point during this week, though, so it's not much of a "break".
Winter break was much nicer, though - Dec. 1 - Jan. 8.

That's good to know! Thank you for the quick response. Winter break is definitely a nice long break!! .

hey y'all so i recently got my acceptance and i'm thinking super hard about whether i want to go through with the program or not.

so basically i'm considered an international student even though i've lived in texas for 10 years, so even though my undergrad tuition was resident tuition, it's considered non-resident for UNT GSBS. another caveat is that because i'm international TCOM is the only school within texas that takes internationals, so it's essentially the only school i can apply to for med school.

this program is HELLA steep and although i can afford it (just barely) i would rather research for a year or work in health IT to at least earn money before med school. the only reason i want to do the program is cos my cGPA is 3.6 as of right now and i'm worried that it's too low for my application. i know my 512 MCAT kinda pulls it up, but i always err on the side of caution.

so the deadline to accept is coming up, and my gut is telling me to accept for now and decline later, but i don't know the consequences of this financially and also application-wise; since i am applying to TCOM for sure. do any of y'all have experience or have heard stories about people accepting then declining? i would greatly appreciate any help!

i would rather research for a year or work in health IT to at least earn money before med school.

Looks like you have your answer. In my opinion, you should give it up to someone who wants it if you're already planning on declining it later.

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 users
Deadline to submit supporting documents is today. My job has already put up a job posting for my current position last week even though I told them that I have not heard back yet. Yikes! lol They told me that they just wanted to be prepared if/when I find out. I told them I could be waiting on an answer as late as late April...

Last edited:
Deadline to submit supporting documents is today. My job has already put up a job posting for my current position last week even though I told them that I have not heard back yet. Yikes! lol They told me that they just wanted to be prepared if/when I find out. I told them I could be waiting on an answer as late as late April...
Last year I applied and didn’t find out I was rejected until May.

Do they still update the My.UNT page with "under review" updates and such? Or was that just previous years?

3.4 GPA 496 MCAT

This year I have a 3.48 and a 504 MCAT and got accepted Feb 20th
TBH 3.4 is not even a low GPA. It's actually their average GPA. Did they tell you in the file review why they rejected you? If you don't mind me asking.

TBH 3.4 is not even a low GPA. It's actually their average GPA. Did they tell you in the file review why they rejected you? If you don't mind me asking.
My last 60ish hours were all A’s too....

They advised me to take more science courses to up my GPA, so I took a 7 hr EMT course, and retook Ochem 2 (C -> A). Also to retake the MCAT which I had done by the time I had the file review! I’m highly suspicious it was mainly due to my low low MCAT as I only retook 1 science course.

Last year I also applied in March and this year I applied the first week of January and had my last transcript in the first week in February!

I also made it through the first round of rejections, so maybe I was close to an acceptance last year?

@AggieFalcon22. I don't even know you and I am proud of you for bouncing back and trying again. Congrats on your acceptance! My story is a little different. I was not a science major and took roughly 90 hours of post bacc work (over a 5 year period) almost exclusively in the sciences. I managed to almost get a second degree in biology (3.4ish) GPA. Working 50-60 hours a week and going to class at night and weekends for five years is NO JOKE! lol. I have salvaged my GPA however, my DAT needs some work. We all have a unique story to tell and if they accept you then they believe that you have what it takes to succeed.

Last edited:
@AggieFalcon22. I don't even know you and I am proud of you for bouncing back and trying again. Congrats on your acceptance! My story is a little different. I was not a science major and took roughly 90 hours of post bacc work (over a 5 year period) almost exclusively in the sciences. I managed to almost get a second degree in biology (3.4ish) GPA. Working 50-60 hours a week and going to class at night and weekends for five years is NO JOKE! lol. I have salvaged my GPA however, my DAT needs some work. We all have a unique story to tell and if they accept you then they believe that you have what it takes to succeed.
Thank you! You made my day, and you’re completely right, everyone comes from different walks of life. Just keep going after your dream and never give up!

Both of these comments justify the reason that I am still on this journey, and for good. Right now, I really have no one else believing in me, besides myself, that I can actually make it into medical school. Simply because after 2 years, I have had no progress. Now days, everyone is suggesting, "well maybe you should do this X career instead." And the sad thing about it is that it is mostly my family. Ironically, however, that just makes me more hungry... So a big thank you to you both who have discovered your true inner strength, determination, and are also not willing to give up when faced with adversity.

Unfortunately, I am in the same boat. Just have to believe in ourselves Snicker.

Y'all check your email. My friend just got an acceptance email.

Just got my rejection email. Good luck to those still waiting.

Applied 12/31 still haven't heard anything either!

Oh wow! haha, you put forth quite the dilemma that makes it difficult to give an answer to clearly. I kind of feel like you are asking a question(s) indirectly...
Is your question whether you should accept this program now and actually do it, but are feeling unsure because you are truly think your stats are good enough to get into TCOM; thus you don't really even need this program nor want to be in anymore debt (or have less money) than you absolutely have to?
Or is the real question whether you should take the time (the next year) that you would have spent in this program to work in order to earn more money; so that when you apply through TMDSAS in May 2018 to TCOM for the upcoming 2019 class, and hypothetically get accepted into their program, you will at least have a more comfortable cushion of money to rely on or whatever?

Anyways, to answer what was direct - yes, I have heard some stories by reading last year's thread for this MedSci program of that happening. To be brief, some people who had initially accepted their offer to this SMP ended up getting a late offer to medical school before/during the start of the Master's program; for which they then squashed their plans for the obvious better plan of attending medical school that same year (key word). However, that wouldn't be your case because the time has already past if you had not applied for TCOM back in May 2017.

Having said that, I think your stats/unique resident classification make you a good candidate for gaining acceptance into an osteopathic medical program (at TCOM), but I know that my own gut would probably throw itself up if I chose to decline this specialized master's program, and then ended up NOT being accepted into TCOM.
Nonetheless, I would go with the gut for now, accept this program, and then check back with it in the near future to see what it is telling you...
Side Note: personally, I would LOVE to be the one that ended up getting accepted into this program because you decided not to pursue it, and your seat opened up. You should know that I have way lower stats than you, and have yet to be accepted. Therefore, I know this particular program would definitely help me out, whereas it might only help you out some. Still, help is help, and you should take it while supplies last.
Thanks! I actually think this was a very helpful response, kinda covers all my issues at once! Good luck to you!

Rejected. My DAT score probably sunk me. The good news is that I plan to work only part time to boost my DAT and apply for dental school in May. Im obviously disappointed but in many ways relieved. Its been an honor getting to hear about everyone's journey. I pray that those that have been accepted would maximize this wonderful opportunity. God bless you all! Im signing off until next time. :)

Rejected. My DAT score probably sunk me. The good news is that I plan to work only part time to boost my DAT and apply for dental school in May. Im obviously disappointed but in many ways relieved. Its been an honor getting to hear about everyone's journey. I pray that those that have been accepted would maximize this wonderful opportunity. God bless you all! Im signing off until next time. :)

Best of luck to you.

Just received my rejection email yesterday. MCAT 498 gpa 3.4 with strong upward trend. Will do file review. Good luck to everyone

Just received my rejection email yesterday. MCAT 498 gpa 3.4 with strong upward trend. Will do file review. Good luck to everyone
If you don’t mind me asking, when did you submit your application?

Rusrus and Aurarice have provided pretty solid information on this but just wanted to add on. While medsci is definitely an excellent program that shows medical schools you can handle the rigors of medical school/somewhat redeem some of your lower course grades in undergrad/demonstrate a commitment to medicine, it does not necessarily give you special treatment in the application at cycle. Like shadowing, research, improved MCAT scores, it is just another component of process that can strengthen your application and therefore help your chances. However, it is important to keep in mind that there are thousands of other applicants applying to schools in Texas competing for interviews/acceptance as well. Overall, it can only serve to help your individual case on a case-by-case basis. The program is tough and it has been shown that medscis do tend to very well once in medical school. However, that being said, grades are only one component of the process. While getting a 4.0 in medsci is a fantastic goal, realize that it is not a guarantee at anything in the process. There are lots of people who are able to get A's in college or a handful in grad school and still aren't admitted.

Additionally, on the subject of applying during or after medsci, I will reiterate that if you are a reapplicant and grades are a weak spot, maybe wait until after the program, this will give you the better shot at getting in. I myself was a first time applicant and didn't feel I absolutely needed "grade repair" from the program. I only mention this because in general, programs outside of TCOM do not look at your transcripts as they roll in from medsci (as I was told at my interviews). So if you really need these grades to be factored into your GPA and you want to max your chances on receiving interviews, maybe take a gap year after the program. If you're like me and you needed something to fill a gap year (I had already taken another to work before the program)/need to take the MCAT/volunteer more/get your feet wet in returning to the classroom, definitely consider applying. While the program isn't a guarantee of anything, make the most of it as a good year here will strengthen your app!

I am currently in medsci and I chose to apply after finishing the program. I regret this and I wish I had applied at the beginning even though I came in with a low undergrad GPA. I have seen so many of my classmates get accepted with similar stats and they have been able to relax and stop stressing about grades while I have to keep working and finish strong. After graduation, I will have to spend another year waiting while I could have been in med school.

Also, I understand that the application is strongest after completion of MedSci, but why are people actively deciding to not apply concurrently to med school, then if they don't get in, take a gap year, and just apply again? I feel like there's some secret I don't know about or maybe I'm overthinking it.

I consider myself having enough experience/hours in activities/work to make me competitive. (I'm just concerned about MCAT and GPA at this point) And I don't feel the need to take another year off to travel the world or take vacations. What are the reasons that the current students are taking a gap year?

Current medsci here. One big reason people are waiting until after finishing Medsci to apply to medical school is to have medsci grades included on their application. A lot of us are here to prove ourselves and make up for a lackluster undergrad GPA. Last summer, admissions staff from Texas A&M, UT Southwestern and a couple out of state schools held a Q&A session where they outright said they wouldn't take into consideration any medsci performance unless it was part of your med school app. In other words, if you want your grades in medsci to be effect your chances of admission, they would advise us to apply the cycle after medsci. That being said, I haven't heard of UT Southwestern accepting any medsci anyway, but A&M has taken plenty.

If you don’t mind me asking, when did you submit your application?
I started around the beginning of December and submitted everything in the first week of February.

That being said, I haven't heard of UT Southwestern accepting any medsci anyway, but A&M has taken plenty.

I have only heard of one MedSci going to UTSW, and that was several years ago.
I believe one MedSci got into BCM last year, though.

I am currently in medsci and I chose to apply after finishing the program. I regret this and I wish I had applied at the beginning even though I came in with a low undergrad GPA. I have seen so many of my classmates get accepted with similar stats and they have been able to relax and stop stressing about grades while I have to keep working and finish strong. After graduation, I will have to spend another year waiting while I could have been in med school.

I'm in the other boat - I'm happy that I chose to wait. A high regional bias was the major tipping point for me.

Any current Med Sci students know where I can get the Biochem PowerPoints for the fall. I kinda want to compare.

I think honestly most Texas students have a good shot getting in just by having the experience of being a re-applicant. That being said, try not to regret taking a gap cycle too much. While there is a chance you could have received 1-2 II and gotten into medical school and be starting this summer, you might received 4-5 II just by taking the cycle off and coming in strong with the medsci grades/more mature application and more options. It could be better in the long run!

Reactions: 1 users
Current medsci here. One big reason people are waiting until after finishing Medsci to apply to medical school is to have medsci grades included on their application. A lot of us are here to prove ourselves and make up for a lackluster undergrad GPA. Last summer, admissions staff from Texas A&M, UT Southwestern and a couple out of state schools held a Q&A session where they outright said they wouldn't take into consideration any medsci performance unless it was part of your med school app. In other words, if you want your grades in medsci to be effect your chances of admission, they would advise us to apply the cycle after medsci. That being said, I haven't heard of UT Southwestern accepting any medsci anyway, but A&M has taken plenty.

Not true. I’ve had friends go through This medsci and got excepted at UT Southwestern right away.

Reactions: 1 users
Sooo i submitted my app on 2/28 and my final supporting documents were received on 3/15 any guestimates on when i should be hearing back?

Well doogie. I’m sure I speak for everyone when I say that’s hard to determine. I submitted my application around Dec. 15 with everything turned in by the end of the month. I have not heard back. Others submitted later than I and heard back right away. Depends on stats I guess.
Good luck though!

Any current Med Sci students know where I can get the Biochem PowerPoints for the fall. I kinda want to compare.

I don't know how effective it would be to start reviewing them this early on but just hang tight until orientation and ask an OL.