UNT M.S. in Medical Sciences 2015-2016 (Texas)-SMP

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I just want to have the first post in the 16th page, sorry.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
For those who were accepted, could you please state your stats? I would like to have an idea of what is seems they are looking for. Thanks!

cGPA:3.07
sGPA: not sure probably around 2.7(max)
MCAT:22 then 26
As you can tell my stats aren't that great but my gpa at one point was a 1.8 and I was almost suspended and that was about 2 years ago and things didn't really improve much for me until last summer when a lot of things about my life changed and I found a new purpose in life which was all in my essay and ever since then I've been working really hard in school, I became and have worked as an EMT since then also, and currently I am taking 21hours of upper level classes mostly, doing research in a biochem lab, and also working. Oh and this is all Baylor University. Dont give up! Hopefully you'll hear some good news soon.

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Current and/or former MedSci's. I'm currently studying for the MCAT (self-study) and I'm planning to take it in August. If accepted to this program, do you think it will interfere with my MCAT preparation, specially since it starts June 1st. I know that there's a TPR course included but I would much rather study on my own.

Current and/or former MedSci's. I'm currently studying for the MCAT (self-study) and I'm planning to take it in August. If accepted to this program, do you think it will interfere with my MCAT preparation, specially since it starts June 1st. I know that there's a TPR course included but I would much rather study on my own.
If you're taking advantage of the prep course, you will have lots of homework and self studying to do anyway. It can supplement what you're already doing or maybe give you a fresh perspective on confusing topics. The opportunities and resources can only help you, I think.

As someone who has taken the prep course and later self-study the MCAT, I think the issue will be how comfortable you are with the materials. If you are fresher out of biochem and do very well in Physics/Chem/Bio then I say go for it. But if you are fuzzy, especially on the Biochem, it's best to wait till after taking the course. I was horrible in Physics and Chem and pretty much self-taught Orgo, so taking classes and studying for the MCAT was a huge NO- NO.

Does anyone have any idea how many applications are left for this final review? I know they auto-accepted 136, but I don't know how many were auto-denied the first time around.

Does anyone have any idea how many applications are left for this final review? I know they auto-accepted 136, but I don't know how many were auto-denied the first time around.
No one will know this unless some ad com person makes an SDN account and posts it... Can't imagine that happening

At the open house, I think I remember them saying it was at or around 210.
Thanks, I am getting so nervous. :/ I really want this program and don't want to have to settle and start applying for other med sci programs if I get rejected.

Members don't see this ad :)
I got in around the end of March, just hanging around the message boards to offer any advice or anything

If you read through the first 5 pages or so, there are tons of advice from current/past med sci students. They have been super super helpful this cycle!

Hahaha, thank you for this. You really just made my day. On a side note, I just finished undergrad! I graduate in a week! Still waiting to hear on this program, though.
Haha you're welcome and congrats. :) I graduated in December so spring has been tough waiting around but hopefully worth it!

I would like to ask past/current med sci student on when they turned in their application. As of the moment, I have everything ready to submit the first week of May.
- Should I wait for the workshop?
- I would love some opinions on my PS, will the work shop/professors offer essay revision service?

I also want to know, during the break Dec 8 - Jan 11: do we have any homework during those time? Is a vacation possible?

Last edited:
@mqt129
I would like to ask past/current med sci student on when they turned in their application. As of the moment, I have everything ready to submit the first week of May.
this depends on you and how comfortable you are with your app
- I would love some opinions on my PS, will the work shop/professors offer essay revision service?
Yeah there are some great resources for essay editing

I also want to know, during the break Dec 8 - Jan 11: do we have any homework during those time? Is a vacation possible?
you'll have nothing to do in this time unless you have interviews or the 40 hours of preceptorship (shadowing a primary care doc) but this can and will most likely be done at the end of the summer

When is submitting an app considered "late"? In your experience, was the work shop worth it? If I would like to start the essay revision now (I know I sound desperate but I'm not that confident with my stats) who/where can I go to?
@mqt129
this depends on you and how comfortable you are with your app
Yeah there are some great resources for essay editing

you'll have nothing to do in this time unless you have interviews or the 40 hours of preceptorship (shadowing a primary care doc) but this can and will most likely be done at the end of the summer

Can past/current med sci students give me some insight about rec letters? Are the professor for the summer classes willing to write one if you're active/do well in the class? I want to apply this cycle, but lack sources for rec letters since i've been out of school a couple of years. Any other ideas for rec letters?

Reactions: 1 users
Can past/current med sci students give me some insight about rec letters? Are the professor for the summer classes willing to write one if you're active/do well in the class? I want to apply this cycle, but lack sources for rec letters since i've been out of school a couple of years. Any other ideas for rec letters?

All the professors I've asked have been very receptive and open to writing Rec Letters. You should be able to get at least one. My preceptor (D.O.) wrote me one. Also, Dr. Gwirtz, the program director, will write one- ask early!!

This year, they started something new to mirror TCOM- advisory groups. They randomly split us up into groups of about 30ish, and the advisor assigned to your group will help you with whatever you need- mock interview, application help, LORs, etc. i'm assuming they're going to continue that next year.

I heard today that those students who they want to accept into MedSci have already been decided, but they are not notifying everyone as of yet, thus your status in myHSC may not reflect their decision. Those students who received their acceptance have until Monday to accept or they'll lose their seat. I'm assuming many of you will hear some news then.

...as with news from TCOM for current MedScis. Monday might be the day some of us will hear back from TCOM. *crossing fingers* They already completed their reviews this week. Rejections will come via snail mail, so don't go checking your mail until we get past Pharm exam 2! Lol. Hopefully, we'll all get a seat ;)

Best Wishes to all!

Reactions: 7 users
Thanks so much for the info, LTT2014. super helpful!!

When is submitting an app considered "late"? In your experience, was the work shop worth it? If I would like to start the essay revision now (I know I sound desperate but I'm not that confident with my stats) who/where can I go to?
I think people make a bigger deal about applications being "late vs. early" than they should... im not saying go ahead and submit it in october, but you'll meet several people who consider July to be a late application (A july application will do you no harm whatsoever). Sorry but I can't really recall if the workshops helped too much, I believe the essay workshops were informative but some of the other ones were useless. Moreover, I'm sure your class will have some differnces so I would refrain from freaking out and just have everything ready to submit like letters, ECs, MCAT score, etc. so you can attend a couple workshops then still be able to submit relatively early if you choose to do so. Feel free to have someone edit your essays, just know that if you can't find anyone then there are some resources here as well.

A GOOD, late application > an EARLY, crap application

Reactions: 4 users
Hey there, I am a pre-dental student and was recently accepted into the medsci program. I have until May 7th to accept my spot, but I'm having a really tough time deciding whether I should do this masters or start the UTD post-bacc program in the fall. If I pick medsci, I'm mostly worried about getting A's in all of the science classes and the fact that it will hurt my application if I don't end up doing well. Also, with the UTD post-bacc program I can probably fit in research with a part time job, whereas for the medsci program, I won't have time. To be honest, I tried my best in my upper level science classes as an undergrad, and I still didn't get A's in most of them......so I'm not sure if it will happen with graduate level courses. If you all have any advice, especially if you are pre-dental students in the medsci program, I would greatly appreciate it!

Here are my stats:

20AA/19TS/21PA - DAT scores
cGPA - 3.64 (Biology major)
sGPA - 3.49

One interview at Baylor dental (put on waitlist then rejected), and no interviews at the other Texas schools

Hey there, I am a pre-dental student and was recently accepted into the medsci program. I have until May 7th to accept my spot, but I'm having a really tough time deciding whether I should do this masters or start the UTD post-bacc program in the fall. If I pick medsci, I'm mostly worried about getting A's in all of the science classes and the fact that it will hurt my application if I don't end up doing well. Also, with the UTD post-bacc program I can probably fit in research with a part time job, whereas for the medsci program, I won't have time. To be honest, I tried my best in my upper level science classes as an undergrad, and I still didn't get A's in most of them......so I'm not sure if it will happen with graduate level courses. If you all have any advice, especially if you are pre-dental students in the medsci program, I would greatly appreciate it!

Here are my stats:

sGPA - 3.49

One interview at Baylor dental (put on waitlist then rejected), and no interviews at the other Texas schools
If you doubt you can make As in a post-bacc, what makes you think you'll succeed in dental school?

If you doubt you can make As in a post-bacc, what makes you think you'll succeed in dental school?

I didn't doubt I could make A's - I was doubting that I could make all A's, and since my primary goal is to pick the option that would increase my chance of an admission, I wanted suggestions as to what route I should take. Also, I don't have to make A's in dental school to succeed.....I would of course try my best but dental school isn't exactly like medical school, you aren't fighting for residencies when you're out and the majority of dental students don't end up making many A's anyways.

I didn't doubt I could make A's - I was doubting that I could make all A's, and since my primary goal is to pick the option that would increase my chance of an admission, I wanted suggestions as to what route I should take. Also, I don't have to make A's in dental school to succeed.....I would of course try my best but dental school isn't exactly like medical school, you aren't fighting for residencies when you're out and the majority of dental students don't end up making many A's anyways.
Making all A's is very possible. You will have more than enough time to study, just depends on how badly you want to get an A and how much work you put in. I wouldn't say that any of the tests are unfair in the program and I feel like many people would agree with me in that.

I don't know many pre-dental people in the program but the ones I do know, have all been accepted somewhere.

Here are my stats:

sGPA - 3.49

I don't know what gpas are competitive for dental school. Are your gpas the biggest missing piece in your app? Would the research/job/shadowing you could do with the UTD cert be more beneficial to your app? Would the ~36 credits of grad level A's bring your gpas up significantly?

Last edited:
I don't know what gpas are competitive for dental school. Are your gpas the biggest missing piece in your app? Would the research/job/shadowing you could do with the UTD cert be more beneficial to your app? Would the ~36 credits of grad level A's bring your gpas up significantly?

It depends on the dental school, but Texas dental schools usually have a 3.7 average undergrad gpa from their pool of accepted students. Continuing research/job/shadowing would certainly be beneficial, but in Texas, they care about your science gpa and DAT score the most.

Last edited:
To anyone who plans on taking the MCAT after the summer semester (i.e. early to late August): Do you plan to start your studying prior to the start of the MCAT prep course? Two months of studying just doesn't seem like enough, so I figured it's wiser to begin studying before June.

I plan on doing some content review for the new sections prior to the program start date.

Just declined the acceptance offer. I hope the seat goes to someone who needs it.

Reactions: 3 users
Anyone who hasn't heard back yet have their status changed from 'received' to 'reviewed' ?

Hoping today is the day because I had four wisdom teeth taken out yesterday and I think I might be happy either way. ;-)

Reactions: 6 users
So I applied in March and haven't heard back anything yet. I see that May 7th is the accept/deny day for those who have already gotten in. Does this mean I'm wait-listed and will be taken through another round of consideration with the remaining open seats? I'd like to hear back soon instead of a week before school starts ahaha

The facebook group just went from 147 members to 160 members. :nailbiting:

So I applied in March and haven't heard back anything yet. I see that May 7th is the accept/deny day for those who have already gotten in. Does this mean I'm wait-listed and will be taken through another round of consideration with the remaining open seats? I'd like to hear back soon instead of a week before school starts ahaha
I think at this point, the system is a little of a mystery. I applied December 19the and haven't heard back. From what I understand, they have finished their second consideration and know their decisions but haven't informed everyone yet. But who knows? Cheers to more waiting and best of luck. :) you may hear back late but I think it would be a welcome inconvenience to be accepted late! Hehe.