UNT M.S. in Medical Sciences 2015-2016 (Texas)-SMP

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I think it would be best to call the admissions office. According to their old site though, you need to complete it before matriculating. I don't think you'd have adequate time to study for Physics even if it was allowed, unless you opt out of the MCAT course. Good luck! http://www.hsc.unt.edu/catalog/2012-2013/94-Medical Sciences Premedical Program .htm

I sent the same letters and didn't have a problem. Good luck!
Thanks!!

Members don't see this ad.

Question about finances for this program; is it a higher tuition for OOS applicants? The answer is probably yes but I just want to make sure

Is the application open yet? The webpage says its under construction and itll be available in November...Hoping for some OOS love.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi! Could any alumni shed some light into the number of students who got a 4.0 by the end of the Fall semester and/or the end of the school year? Also, when do most students start receiving interview invites? I'm a current MedSci, and I've managed to do well (so far lol). The program is great and the amount of support from the faculty is phenomenal. It's nearing the end of the year however and the fact that I have yet to receive an II is making me a bit anxious and overwhelmed. I know MedSci isn't a ticket to med school and that every application is unique, but since the competition is tough here, it helps to know where you stand in terms of GPA and application cycle! Thanks!

Unfortunately TCOM has the ability to interview/accept you whenever they want which means it could me much later than you think. Plenty of my Medsci colleges got in to TCOM and other schools but many of the ones who got into TCOM had to wait till late in the cycle to get interviewed or accepted. Just do as well as you can and be patient. They want good medscis in their first year class because y'all do well. Chances are if you have a 4.0 or even close to that and a decent MCAT score your already on their radar.

Reactions: 1 user
Hi, can an alumni please talk about their spring semester vs the fall? I am in the program currently and so far, I have been doing well! (knock on wood.. hopefully it will continue with these next few weeks). However, all I do is study and I can't bring myself to have free time or even a social life in fear of making b's. I do take time to go to the gym, still take it easy (kinda) on the weekends but man.. is spring semester that much worse? I know dermacat said it would be tougher, but I have heard from previous other med sci students that spring semester was easier? Thoughts? also if it was tough, was it the classes? the teacher? the testing style? the questions?

if it was easier, was it because the material was less? concepts were easier? more free time?

thanks in advance! :)

You are clearly doing well and will probably continue to do just fine in the spring. Don't sweat it and a B won't kill your chances of med school I can assure you. MedSci is challenging but no where near as challenging as med school so enjoy all the free time you have now lol trust me. Spring was easier for me but that's because we got into phys and anatomy which were big classes and less biochem/micro/cell stuff. Relax and keep doing well and you will be fine!

How will TMDSAS schools look at my application if I complete my post bacc at UNT but still dont qualify for Texas residency?

How will TMDSAS schools look at my application if I complete my post bacc at UNT but still dont qualify for Texas residency?

The same way they view you now. If you don't get in-state residency status, then you are considered as an out of state applicant when your application is reviewed. That's really all it comes down to. Doesn't mean that you won't get into a Texas school, it just means that it will be much harder for you.

Was it suggested to you guys to take the mcat in August after finishing the mcat course in the summer? Is it not too late to submit that score in the application cycle?

Anyone have any suggestions, I would really appreciate it!

Bump.

I have a cGPA of 3.5 and an MCAT score of 500. My GPA for my past 60 hours is a 3.7. What are my chances? I have good ECs and LORs.

Bump.

I have a cGPA of 3.5 and an MCAT score of 500. My GPA for my past 60 hours is a 3.7. What are my chances? I have good ECs and LORs.

I was accepted with similar stats and mediocre ECs. I think your chances are good for this program

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

For those who graduated from the Med Sci program this year and accepted into med school, will they be entering their medical school this year (as in a couple months)?
Or will they start their med school in the next cycle (entering 2017)?

Also, the classes taken with the 1st year med students while in the Med Sci program, do you have to take that again if you go to TCOM?

I'm also a current med sci student happy to answer any questions ya'll have. I figure this thread won't have much activity until it gets closer to the end of the year.

Hey! I'm currently a sophomore undergrad, but may I ask what GPA you had before being accepted to UT?

Can an OOS student tell me about their experience in the program, such as student loans, cost of living/how did you find a good place to live, working, and how much tuition was?