UNT M.S. in Medical Sciences 2015-2016 (Texas)-SMP

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Had a quick question regarding LOR's ? I sent the same ones that I had for my med school application. Did yall have LOR's specifically targeted for this program ? Thanks.

It says you can use the same ones as for med school! That's what I did!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 users
Have you just not heard any news yet when you said "I wasnt accepted", or did you get a email saying so?
I checked the portal and when you click on status it says it at the top. I got the official email at 7pm, so about an hour after I checked

Had a quick question regarding LOR's ? I sent the same ones that I had for my med school application. Did yall have LOR's specifically targeted for this program ? Thanks.

No I didn't. I used my interfolio medical school LORs--specifically a prehealth committee letter, MD who I did clinical research with & a letter from my community service supervisor where I led a service trip.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Can someone post the link for that Facebook group?

congrats to those who got accepted today!! Could you share your stats please?
cGPA: 3.68
MCAT: 28
meh to ok extracurriculars, decent rec letters, i've been teaching hs physics for the past two years, and i'm a LONGHORN AYYYEEE jk they prob don't care lol

meh to ok extracurriculars, decent rec letters, i've been teaching hs physics for the past two years, and i'm a LONGHORN AYYYEEE jk they prob don't care lol
\m/

Also, just a future reference note: a lot of med schools are making the move to include the rigor of undergrad when considering your GPA (from what I heard at an event we hosted), so they may care! On a scale of 1-5 with 5 being highest rigor, UT is a 4 (again, according to the assistant dean of admissions). Hopefully more schools will continue this kind of holistic consideration because there is so much more to a GPA than just a number! He also spoke about considering where you came from and what performance would be expected of you and college because of it; did you exceed that? Interesting stuff. :)

Also, just a future reference note: a lot of med schools are making the move to include the rigor of undergrad when considering your GPA (from what I heard at an event we hosted), so they may care! On a scale of 1-5 with 5 being highest rigor, UT is a 4 (again, according to the assistant dean of admissions). Hopefully more schools will continue this kind of holistic consideration because there is so much more to a GPA than just a number! He also spoke about considering where you came from and what performance would be expected of you and college because of it; did you exceed that? Interesting stuff. :)

Oh that's awesome. But that's a hard scale to quantify! I'm a at TAMU and I have a cousin at Stanford. Funny thing though, I can help her with her work but she can't help me with me mine. (We're both bio majors haha)

Oh that's awesome. But that's a hard scale to quantify! I'm a at TAMU and I have a cousin at Stanford. Funny thing though, I can help her with her work but she can't help me with me mine. (We're both bio majors haha)
It is! My little sis is at TAMU!

Members don't see this ad :)
ooh that is interesting... as far as exceeding expectations goes, idk about that haha

Congrats to those that have gotten in.

What was mentioned today about the phys final? Did she say we've seen 25 questions before? The QEP is a different thing right? We did that before, like a pre and post test, right?

yall should post your GPA over your most recent 60 hours as well for people to see. It's one of, if not the most important stat they look at. Basically tells the true story behind a cGPA that isn't a 3.8+ (average all along? or scrub at first then stud at the end?). If you lack in this area, its not necessarily the end of the road but most people i encounter here have a strong # number in this category....

They already do this actually They factor your college based on the 1-5 scale like you said, and your major as well (engineering vs. english...)

Congratulations to everyone who got in. Does anyone know of re-applicants have a good shot? Has anyone here been rejected and then re-applied?

Congratulations to everyone who got in. Does anyone know of re-applicants have a good shot? Has anyone here been rejected and then re-applied?
I do know someone who was rejected a couple years ago, reapplied last year, and is currently in the program. This individual called and requested a file review, and was able to speak to a member of adcom in regards to the reason behind the no, and how to make their application stand out in the future. The point to that story is really take every "NO" as an opportunity to find out how you can better prepare, so in the future you get that "YES". If you didn't ask for a file review then how would you know where you were lacking? How could you make your self better? The great thing about this program is the desire of the facility for everyone to succeed. This success doesn't just include the current students, but it extends to students who have long finished the program, and potential students. With that being said, there is no way for us to tell you if you have a better shot as a re-applicant or not. Look over what admitted students on here have for their stats, read over the old posts especially those with closetgunner19 to see what adcom is looking for, and chances are if you have similar statistics then you have as good a shot as anyone else.

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 users
Current and Future MedsciSTARS (yes, we are all stars in our own fancy and non-fancy ways), I have been thinking about this one thing and would like to see what everyone else take on it is: For those of us that NEED to re-take the MCAT and are considering applying this cycle, considering the MCAT prep class will start in June along with our other medsci classes and run through say 8 weeks (end of Jul/early August); should we opt to re-take the MCAT after the MCAT prep, we are looking at taking the exam say in August with our MCAT results coming back about 5 wks after, say mid September, how does this affect our TMDSAS application completion? I know that the application is not complete until ALL materials and secondaries are received. Does this pose a disadvantage in the sense that the application will be completed later on since our MCAT scores won't be in until then? Will adcoms wait for the re-take score before reviewing the application? Would the current MCAT score suffice for completion purposes? If it does, will adcoms review/interview only after the new MCAT is received? Current MedsciSTARS that had to re-take the MCAT after MCAT prep, how did this scenario play out? Anyone with any insight, please share with us.......Be blessed.

Current and Future MedsciSTARS (yes, we are all stars in our own fancy and non-fancy ways), I have been thinking about this one thing and would like to see what everyone else take on it is: For those of us that NEED to re-take the MCAT and are considering applying this cycle, considering the MCAT prep class will start in June along with our other medsci classes and run through say 8 weeks (end of Jul/early August); should we opt to re-take the MCAT after the MCAT prep, we are looking at taking the exam say in August with our MCAT results coming back about 5 wks after, say mid September, how does this affect our TMDSAS application completion? I know that the application is not complete until ALL materials and secondaries are received. Does this pose a disadvantage in the sense that the application will be completed later on since our MCAT scores won't be in until then? Will adcoms wait for the re-take score before reviewing the application? Would the current MCAT score suffice for completion purposes? If it does, will adcoms review/interview only after the new MCAT is received? Current MedsciSTARS that had to re-take the MCAT after MCAT prep, how did this scenario play out? Anyone with any insight, please share with us.......Be blessed.

Take this for what its worth, I know a few people who pre-matched after taking the MCAT in August. I know even more that matched having taken the the MCAT in August. The best piece of advice I can give you is get your application in early, click the box that say you are part of medsci, and mark when your new MCAT test date is. Schools will hold your application until the test comes in. Being a proactive applicant and filing out the secondaries ahead of time, and submitting them, (for Texas schools) will put you in a good position when your results come in. If you need additional advice use the search bar at the top, this question has been asked numerous times before (no disrespect intended).

yall should post your GPA over your most recent 60 hours as well for people to see. It's one of, if not the most important stat they look at. Basically tells the true story behind a cGPA that isn't a 3.8+ (average all along? or scrub at first then stud at the end?). If you lack in this area, its not necessarily the end of the road but most people i encounter here have a strong # number in this category....
I think my GPA over my last 60 hours was about a 3.5. I was fairly consistent in undergrad - not too bad, not stellar either

None taken....and thanks a bunch for the info!

Seems like this year they are sending out acceptance on random days. Can't wait to hear back. A little nervous though lol. Good luck everyone, hope some good news come our way soon.

Seems like this year they are sending out acceptance on random days. Can't wait to hear back. A little nervous though lol. Good luck everyone, hope some good news come our way soon.
I'm just hoping that they'll still send one batch a week out! That way we at least have something look forward to!

Reactions: 2 users
So I am assuming Friday's are not the good news days this year. Tuesday seems like the day but who knows they might just be randomly sending out acceptance. Can't wait to hear back.

It's a new week, best of luck to everyone! Hopefully some of us get good news this week. :):xf:

Reactions: 5 users
So I called just now and my application is complete and in review?

I don't know if that means they're actively looking at it, or if it's just in the pile with everything else to be reviewed.

But my application was submitted 3/3? And marked complete 3/15

So I called just now and my application is complete and in review?

I don't know if that means they're actively looking at it, or if it's just in the pile with everything else to be reviewed.

But my application was submitted 3/3? And marked complete 3/15
what does your application online say?

Any one who applied the day of the deadline 3/13 heard back from them? Do you guys think applying on the deadline day would have a negative effect on chances of being accepted?

Thanks in advance for your input!

Any one who applied the day of the deadline 3/13 heard back from them? Do you guys think applying on the deadline day would have a negative effect on chances of being accepted?

In the last "round" of admits, it sounded like the AdCom made it through the apps of people who applied early Feb, so it's only been a week from then. You'll be fine, especially if you're a strong applicant.They won't fill up the entire class before making it through all the applications. But I'd imagine that the decisions get harder and harder as the "maybe" pile gets bigger and the slots become fewer. I applied later in the cycle myself, so I understand the anxiety!

Applying to this program is not like applying to medschool. You want to apply as early as you can for medical school so your application can recieve the earliest possible look. Medsci will look at all of the applications despite when you applied. Mainly because Adcom understands that some students applied late, because they were not accepted to a Texas Medical school. This means that Adcom is patient, meaning you should be too. As difficult as this is, I recommend you relax, study for your current classes (if there are any), and wait for a response. I applied to this program in March last year and herd I was accepted the mid April, while others I know applied at the same time and herd a week before the class started. There is a method to the apparent madness. When adcom comes across your application (I promise they will) then a decision will be made, no amount of stressing will make this process occur faster.

Reactions: 4 users
Thanks a lot vd0917 and N2B8TR for your valuable input! Best of luck to you and everyone else!

I think last week might have just been an exception because of Good Friday. Or at least that's what I'm hoping since I haven't received anything and no one has has posted either.

I think last week might have just been an exception because of Good Friday. Or at least that's what I'm hoping since I haven't received anything and no one has has posted either.

You might be right. Gosh I can't even study for mcat, I keep checking my email and the portal for any updates lol.

Out of desperation, I decided to stalk the UNTHSC Facebook page... It appears that they've just added a few more people this past Monday. Does that mean that acceptances for this week were sent out already?

Out of desperation, I decided to stalk the UNTHSC Facebook page... It appears that they've just added a few more people this past Monday. Does that mean that acceptances for this week were sent out already?

The other possibility could be: those who got accepted the week before probably just got to accepting the invitation to the fb page on Monday. But who knows, the wait continues.

Just an update: applied December 18th, complete early January, no news yet. It's as exciting as it sounds but at least I know I'm getting a second look. Good luck, everyone!

Well anyone knows when the wait list email will be sent out? Since they send rejection emails...no news is good news

Just an update: applied December 18th, complete early January, no news yet. It's as exciting as it sounds but at least I know I'm getting a second look. Good luck, everyone!

I'm in the same boat as you. Applied in December and finished submitting all documents early January. I think we might have gotten moved to the maybe pile. Like you said, looking at this optimistically, at the very least the program is considering giving our applications a second look. Hope we all get in and maybe get some good news this week!

Hey guys current medsci here, wanted to just bump my post about housing and also shed a little light on my experience with the application process, i applied right around the deadline for this program and was waitlisted early May and got in about a few days before orientation so keep your heads up! They really do look at every part of your application and look at every applicant as well.

Lastly I'll be staying in the area for a year while I'm applying to med school and have a really nice house about 5 min drive or less from campus that has two bedrooms and a bathroom available, with utilities, rent is about 650-675 depending on usage etc. it will be available mid-may so you'll have a place to stay for orientation but the lease doesn't start until June 1st so when you're done with the program you won't have an issue of having to sublease etc.

If y'all have any other questions feel free to message me and best of luck to the rest of you guys waiting to hear back!

Current/Past Medsci students:

Is financial aid disbursed before tuition is due? (specifically for summer term). If not, I would assume that there would be a payment plan option, no?

Current/Past Medsci students:

Is financial aid disbursed before tuition is due? (specifically for summer term). If not, I would assume that there would be a payment plan option, no?

It gets distributed to the school just as its due, they take the tuition out and give you the remainder. All you have to do is FAFSA, accept loan, set up direct deposit, and the rest takes care of itself.

Hi, I do not want to jump the gun in any way, but I live 8 hours away and wanted to attend the discover my HSC day on Saturday. I called and they advised me to sign up since I had not heard back with either an acceptance or rejection.. I know I won't miss out on too much (as stated earlier) if I do not attend, but I will be around Fort Worth/Dallas this weekend and don't get too many opportunities to travel up to the area so wanted to take advantage... Is anyone attending that has not heard back?

Last edited:
Hi, I do not want to jump the gun in any way, but I live 8 hours away and wanted to attend the discover my HSC day on Saturday. I called and they advised me to sign up since I had not heard back with either an acceptance or rejection.. I know I won't miss out on too much (as stated earlier if I do not attend), but I will be around Fort Worth/Dallas this weekend and don't get too many opportunities to travel up to the are so wanted to take advantage... Is anyone attending that has not heard back?

Were you able to sign up ?

Lucky you. I am going to Dallas this weekend. Should have signed up. Too late now :(

Oh no! Sorry, I should've posted about it that day! Since you're going to be there you should give them a call tomorrow though, you never know!