Unmatched c/o 2013 by School

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I would not make this assumption, personally. After the initial attrition, it is more common to have students doing just fine, rather than scraping by. It doesn't take long to weed out those who don't want to and/or can't make it. Those who are doing very poorly aren't worried about getting a residency, they are worried about getting through the program.

Good to know! :thumbup:

Members don't see this ad.

When is the last day to scramble? How many years can you apply for a residency spot?

Members don't see this ad :)
When is the last day to scramble? How many years can you apply for a residency spot?

I believe july 1st. As long as there is a position to apply for.

As far as how many times you can apply for residency, I don't think there is a limit. But the farther out from graduation you are, the harder it will be to land a spot.

As of now 5 scrambled at AzPod and one got a spot. 4 still unamatched out of 29.

UPDATED..w AZPod (very surprised at those numbers!)

c/0 2013 Unmatched to # Entered in Match

AZPod 4/29
Barry - 6/52
CSPM - 5
DMU - 3
KUSPM - 13/102
NYCPM - 0/72
Scholl - 17/100
Temple - ??
Western - 2/22

I was told that there is only 1 unmatched person at DMU, 2 were able to get spots during the scramble.

DMU had at 6 scramble I believe. I know of 2 who found spots w/in the first 2 days and not sure about the rest

DMU had at 6 scramble I believe. I know of 2 who found spots w/in the first 2 days and not sure about the rest

how many were eligible at DMU?

Do larger schools accept under qualified students knowing they will drop out? Was gpa the major factor students didn't match?

I cannot answer the first question. As for the second, I was only told at our school that it did not necessarily discriminate based on gpa. Every school builds in for attrition, and an abnormally high attrition rate not only reflects poorly on the school, but could have an adverse effect on admissions. So it does not make sense for them to accept students they know will not have a good chance of success in the program.

Hope this helps.

I cannot answer the first question. As for the second, I was only told at our school that it did not necessarily discriminate based on gpa. Every school builds in for attrition, and an abnormally high attrition rate not only reflects poorly on the school, but could have an adverse effect on admissions. So it does not make sense for them to accept students they know will not have a good chance of success in the program.

Hope this helps.

It's quite scary actually. The school that I wanted to go to accepted someone with a 1 or 2 on the verbal section of the MCAT. Schools like NYCPM that have a high attrition rate has me wondering whether it's because of these students with low stats or if it's the education provided! I think only the schools truly know whether the students that drop out are the ones with the lowest admission standards. Nobody even knows if they want all of their first years to graduate! What if no body failed out, NYCPM would have 20 extra students who need residencies! and, I think they knew there was a shortage ALL ALONG!

I don't understand Temple. They claim to be the Harvard of Podiatry and they have the most students that don't match. accept students who scored a 1 or 2 on the verbal section of the mcat.

It's important to be confident of your own abilities but I just feel it is equally important to trust the school that you go to. Are student's gathering to sue these schools? I would. We need to know the inside story on these schools that accept so many students each year!!!!

Members don't see this ad :)
ok so the individual scored a 5 and 1 on 2 separate occassions.

http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=978120

He also had an average DAT score, so he obviously sent that one in. I don't know if you're required to report the MCAT score as well, but if that is the case, then they shouldn't have considered him.

On a side note, it really ticked me off that the DPM interviewer at Temple was valiantly defending DAT admissions, and I had to grill him on it...

It's quite scary actually. The school that I wanted to go to accepted someone with a 1 or 2 on the verbal section of the MCAT. Schools like NYCPM that have a high attrition rate has me wondering whether it's because of these students with low stats or if it's the education provided! I think only the schools truly know whether the students that drop out are the ones with the lowest admission standards. Nobody even knows if they want all of their first years to graduate! What if no body failed out, NYCPM would have 20 extra students who need residencies! and, I think they knew there was a shortage ALL ALONG!

I don't understand Temple. They claim to be the Harvard of Podiatry and they have the most students that don't match. accept students who scored a 1 or 2 on the verbal section of the mcat.

It's important to be confident of your own abilities but I just feel it is equally important to trust the school that you go to. Are student's gathering to sue these schools? I would. We need to know the inside story on these schools that accept so many students each year!!!!

Temple is the Harvard of Podiatry?

After reading all of your posts, I have concluded that you are just grossly misinformed and react fanatically. No one is going to sue anyone, first off. On what legal grounds would that ever happen?

Next, you are making a lot of broad assumptions from little data, and don't know what you are talking about. You say "Schools like NYCPM that have high attrition..." Do you know any other colleges' attrition? Have you looked at it over the last few years? Having a single data point is not a reason to freak out. You then ask the question "has me wondering whether it's because of these students with low stats or if it's the education provided!". That right there tipped me off that you either have some bias in this game or are just fanatical.

Also, no one has called Temple the Harvard of Podiatry in a long time, which makes me think you've been around here a long time. Or work for Temple. Or are a biased prepod defending his/her decisions, which also happens a lot on here.

Decision making under stress is an important attribute. Staying calm and not reacting emotionally is important.

After reading all of your posts, I have concluded that you are just grossly misinformed and react fanatically. No one is going to sue anyone, first off. On what legal grounds would that ever happen?

Next, you are making a lot of broad assumptions from little data, and don't know what you are talking about. You say "Schools like NYCPM that have high attrition..." Do you know any other colleges' attrition? Have you looked at it over the last few years? Having a single data point is not a reason to freak out. You then ask the question "has me wondering whether it's because of these students with low stats or if it's the education provided!". That right there tipped me off that you either have some bias in this game or are just fanatical.

Also, no one has called Temple the Harvard of Podiatry in a long time, which makes me think you've been around here a long time. Or work for Temple. Or are a biased prepod defending his/her decisions, which also happens a lot on here.

Decision making under stress is an important attribute. Staying calm and not reacting emotionally is important.

Aside from name calling. You have added absolutely 0 value to this thread. I maybe be a little skeptical as I gather data to make a decision on which career path to go down. You, on the other end of the spectrum, seem overly biased and possibly blindly optimistic! I have not committed to any career as you have. There for I am not biased. I would like you to show your research and knowledge to prove me wrong. Is that not what science is?

I read the most recent Temple student handbook and it says they are known as the Harvard of Podiatry. I also want to know, WHO CARES if I've been around here for a long time? I work for temple??? hahahahaha.... your're way off but VERY INTERESTING ASSUMPTIONS!!! LOL

From this year alone based on 2 of 9 schools. NYCPM had 20 people that didn't make it to match. Temple had around 20 people that didn't match. I don't understand what your problem is with me saying this.

I hope you are not always so blindly optimistic. it could be dangerous for your future patients.

He also had an average DAT score, so he obviously sent that one in. I don't know if you're required to report the MCAT score as well, but if that is the case, then they shouldn't have considered him.

On a side note, it really ticked me off that the DPM interviewer at Temple was valiantly defending DAT admissions, and I had to grill him on it...

I'm just pondering how it is even possible to get a 1 on the verbal portion. Did he just miss every question? If so, that's almost impressive. Even a random selection would probably be more than a 1.

I'm just pondering how it is even possible to get a 1 on the verbal portion. Did he just miss every question? If so, that's almost impressive. Even a random selection would probably be more than a 1.

is not that difficult ... a close friend basically guessed on her test because she was taking it to make her parents happy :rolleyes: anyway she got a whooping score of 3 :eek: if i didn't saw her score on the computer screen i wouldn't believe it but yeah its possible even with guessing.

AZPod 4/29
Barry - 6/52
CSPM - 5
DMU - 3
KUSPM - 13/102
NYCPM - 0/72
Scholl - 17/100
Temple - ??
Western - 2/22

To the point of the post...does anyone have concrete numbers on "The Harvard of Podiatry" yet? (j/k....hehehe, I just had to)

To the point of the post...does anyone have concrete numbers on "The Harvard of Podiatry" yet? (j/k....hehehe, I just had to)

I believe 25 did not match. 9 scrambled. So that leaves 16 without a spot.

This was the rumor at school.

We were told 25/106 scrambled and 12 got spots, so 13/106 did not get spots. Also a rumor

We were told 25/106 scrambled and 12 got spots, so 13/106 did not get spots. Also a rumor

This was just confirmed in our student council meeting.

13 people without a spot. To note, Temple had a 100% board pass rate. :thumbup:

UPDATED..w Temple and DMU

AZPod 4/29
Barry - 6/52
CSPM - 5
DMU - 6
KUSPM - 13/102
NYCPM - 0/72
Scholl - 17/100
Temple - 13/106
Western - 2/22

Total unmatched c/0 2013: 66

the math appears to be off.. So what, about 40 students matched in the scramble?

If so 66 un matched is comparable to last year with scholl having the highest rate unmatched again. If nothing has changed why is there a "crisis" now?

jmho.....

the math appears to be off.. So what, about 40 students matched in the scramble?

If so 66 un matched is comparable to last year with scholl having the highest rate unmatched again. If nothing has changed why is there a "crisis" now?

jmho.....

Read this thread. You did not take into account reapplicants

Sent from my Nexus 4 using SDN Mobile

jmho.....

While these numbers aren't the most accurate, you are interpreting them entirely wrong.

There were around 111 4th year students who scrambled. Almost 50 of them got spots in the scramble. As of now, 60+ don't have a residency program. How is any of that like last year?

2012 had 17 "qualified" students not get a residency program. There were 503 seats for around 490 4th years.

I guess I'm confused as to what you think hasn't changed? Just trying to understand your post above...

UPDATED with percentage of the class that didn't match (for additional perspective)

c/0 2013 Unmatched to # Entered in Match (%)

AZPod 4/29 (13.8%)
Barry - 6/52 (11.5%)
CSPM - 5
DMU - 6
KUSPM - 13/102 (12.7%)
NYCPM - 0/72 (0%)
Scholl - 17/100 (17%)
Temple - 13/106 (12.3%)
Western - 2/22 (9.1%)

UPDATED with percentage of the class that didn't match (for additional perspective)

AZPod 4/29 (13.8%)
Barry - 6/52 (11.5%)
CSPM - 5
DMU - 6
KUSPM - 13/102 (12.7%)
NYCPM - 0/72 (0%)
Scholl - 17/100 (17%)
Temple - 13/106 (12.3%)
Western - 2/22 (9.1%)

It's really sad to look at.

AZPod 4/29 (13.8%)
Barry - 6/52 (11.5%)
CSPM - 5
DMU - 6
KUSPM - 13/102 (12.7%)
NYCPM - 0/72 (0%)
Scholl - 17/100 (17%)
Temple - 13/106 (12.3%)
Western - 2/22 (9.1%)

cool, thanks. Anyone from CSPM or DMU, want to add total eligible?

This was just confirmed in our student council meeting.

13 people without a spot. To note, Temple had a 100% board pass rate. :thumbup:

On what part? This certainly wasn't first time pass rate as I reviewed several applications from temple students both before and after the match in which one student failed part 2 on the first try.

The thought that a student should be given a spot if they pass the boards should come with an asterisk stating that passing the board exam on first try is crucial. Impressing people in person is, in my opinion, more important to securing a spot. You can be 4.0 100% pass rate all the way but if you can't interact with people you have no chance.

cool, thanks. Anyone from CSPM or DMU, want to add total eligible?

I don't know what this list is trying to illustrate, because some schools have scramble numbers and some are total in placed residencies after scramble. For instance, DMU right now has at MOST three people without a residency, but it did scramble 6. On the other hand, the list contains Scholl's number after successful scramble. The list description is vague, so what are you going for here?

On what part? This certainly wasn't first time pass rate as I reviewed several applications from temple students both before and after the match in which one student failed part 2 on the first try.

The thought that a student should be given a spot if they pass the boards should come with an asterisk stating that passing the board exam on first try is crucial. Impressing people in person is, in my opinion, more important to securing a spot. You can be 4.0 100% pass rate all the way but if you can't interact with people you have no chance.

During the meeting, I caught the statement "100% board pass rate." I am also very skeptical about this number. I will try to find out this week to clarify. :thumbup:

I don't know what this list is trying to illustrate, because some schools have scramble numbers and some are total in placed residencies after scramble. For instance, DMU right now has at MOST three people without a residency, but it did scramble 6. On the other hand, the list contains Scholl's number after successful scramble. The list description is vague, so what are you going for here?

I believe most of the numbers are "Total without residency" -- the scrambled in people are not a part of this number.

I am also interested in seeing how many eligible applicants there were at DMU and CSPM.

AZPod 4/29 (13.8%)
Barry - 6/52 (11.5%)
CSPM - 5
DMU - 6
KUSPM - 13/102 (12.7%)
NYCPM - 0/72 (0%)
Scholl - 17/100 (17%)
Temple - 13/106 (12.3%)
Western - 2/22 (9.1%)

DMU does not have six unmatched students. I'm not sure where you are getting this information.

I reviewed several applications from temple students both before and after the match in which one student failed part 2 on the first try.

The thought that a student should be given a spot if they pass the boards should come with an asterisk stating that passing the board exam on first try is crucial.

Just to clarify, you are referring to applicants in the scramble?

Residency rank lists for students and programs are closed before the results of the January Part 2 exam are released, so neither programs or students know whether they passed when those lists are finalized for the match process. If you fail the 2nd offering in February you are removed from the match in March automatically.

DMU does not have six unmatched students. I'm not sure where you are getting this information.

These are the results people posted. They are meant to be copied and pasted with any updates. If you have any information, please update. If not, then these are the numbers people will assume (until they are corrected).

AZPod 4/29 (13.8%)
Barry - 6/52 (11.5%)
CSPM - 5
DMU - 6
KUSPM - 13/102 (12.7%)
NYCPM - 0/72 (0%)
Scholl - 17/100 (17%)
Temple - 13/106 (12.3%)
Western - 2/22 (9.1%)

So there are another 38 re-applicants that didn't match? How many re-applicants were there this year?

So there are another 38 re-applicants that didn't match? How many re-applicants were there this year?

Small aside - during the scramble there were 4 additional residency slots added (you can see them at the top of the unfilled positions page). This might change the numbers a bit (if they weren't included).

DMU has not sent out any information to 2016ers concerning the match.

Just to clarify, you are referring to applicants in the scramble?

Yes, and thanks for the clarification. The way I read the original comment was (paraphrasing) "13 TUSPM students are still unmatched, though TUSPM had a 100% pass rate". That statement is misleading, at least the way I read it, and needed further clarification for the benefit those who have yet to go to through the match. I simply wanted to point out that there were students in the scramble who had failed one or more part of the board exam their first time.

From my perspective being in the scramble having passed both parts on the first is a more favorable position to be in than having failed any part of the board exam. Typically the scramble spots are filled quickly and that is one blemish you don't want on your application.

Actually, one of the strange things about this year's match within SCPM class of 2013 was that almost everyone who flunked part 1 first time around and subsequently passed went on to match. So I suppose passing on the first attempt isn't such a big deal?

How do I know who passed and who failed? I have my sources...:luck:

Yes, and thanks for the clarification. The way I read the original comment was (paraphrasing) "13 TUSPM students are still unmatched, though TUSPM had a 100% pass rate". That statement is misleading, at least the way I read it, and needed further clarification for the benefit those who have yet to go to through the match. I simply wanted to point out that there were students in the scramble who had failed one or more part of the board exam their first time.

This may be true. I believe that it was 100% that passed after the 2nd try. I still have not come face to face with the person that made the announcement the other day. When I do, I will update my post :thumbup:

AZPod 4/29
Barry - 6/52
CSPM - 5
DMU - 3
KUSPM - 13/102
NYCPM - 0/72
Scholl - 17/100
Temple - 13
Western - 2/22

Flyhi had reposted old numbers which had DMU at 6 then everyone started adding to that list which is where the confusion came from

*DMU is estimated to currently be between 1 and 3 that did not match based off of prior comments.