NYCPM C/O 2021

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DexterMorganSK

Staff member
Administrator
Volunteer Staff
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I didn't see one so, I thought I'd make a thread.

I hope to be part of this group. Please share your questions/concerns regarding NYCPM. I'm from the area so can answer any general ques regarding NYC/school. It would be nice to know those who are already accepted and those who plan to attend this school starting this fall. If there is a facebook group out there for this class then please share!

Cheers!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 users
There is a group on FB: Log into Facebook | Facebook
It is run by some admissions people and they haven't accepted me into it yet

I am very excited to start in August! I was wondering, is it pretty easy to get used to the public transportation system in NYC or is there a bit of a learning curve? Is there a good guide online to read about it?

Reactions: 1 user
Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
-don't walk around East Harlem or central park after 11 pm night!
-not all beggars are homeless... panhandling makes good easy money...
-there are a lot of apartment scams in NY.

NYer.

Reactions: 2 users
-don't walk around East Harlem or central park after 11 pm night!
-not all beggars are homeless... panhandling makes good easy money...
-there are a lot of apartment scams in NY.

NYer.

In addition:
Know your surroundings well, especially when getting on/off the trains.
Try not to use your smartphones/ipad/etc in public at night (after 11 pm or so) in Harlem/uptown areas
Common sense goes a long way!

Good things to know! Thanks! I was definitely given a reality shock when I was in NY for my interview and some guy on the street yelled "Aye mami you know you're in Harlem right?" :lol:Definitely started walking faster after that. I am originally from Rochester NY but the city is a whole different beast.

Rochester isn't candy land either.

Anyone going to the "first Friday" June 2?

Has anyone applied to student housing and heard back yet? I did awhile ago and I'm hoping for some info soon so I can get financial aid in order

Also @ the people from NY: this is probably dumb but will I be safe running there? I marathon train so I usually run really early since I have so many miles to cover and I'm a bit nervous about the area. I live in Philly right now and am comfortable running at 6 am when no ones around but I'm sure NY is different

Has anyone applied to student housing and heard back yet? I did awhile ago and I'm hoping for some info soon so I can get financial aid in order

Also @ the people from NY: this is probably dumb but will I be safe running there? I marathon train so I usually run really early since I have so many miles to cover and I'm a bit nervous about the area. I live in Philly right now and am comfortable running at 6 am when no ones around but I'm sure NY is different

So running around the neighborhood (within the blocks) will be difficult even at 6 am because Harlem is that crowded. But, you can always try the parks nearby and the places around Harlem River Drive, along with the 3rd Ave bridge.

However, I suggest either working out at the school's gym (it's pretty small) or become a member of the New York Sports Club (few blocks away from campus). As you learn and get accustomed to the area, you can quit the gym and start running.

Screen Shot 2017-06-01 at 6.39.06 PM.png

Last edited:

I talked to Lee and he said that he has gotten all the applications and will try to send out something within the next week regarding housing.

I think ny is relatively safe, yes you will get cat called... sit on the subway with homeless people and encounter crazy people, whom should be in psychiatric centers. I feel it is more the 'norm' of NYC. Carry mace, you are un likely to be assaulted, but it helps keep peace of mind. Always good to find a jogging buddy.

Members don't see this ad :)
Does anyone know if the orientation from 8/21-8/23 is like an all day thing every day or is it just for a few hours each day?

I have received 0 info, still waiting to be added to the Facebook group. Sent my deposit, filed for on campus housing the 1st year... They are a little slow with everything, but patience is virtue...

Do you guys know when are we going to expect our refunds? is it a week before class or a week after give or take?

Do you guys know when are we going to expect our refunds? is it a week before class or a week after give or take?

It will be after classes begin. Probably 2 weeks into it. Having a direct deposit to your bank account is the fastest way to receive the money, rather than them mailing a check.

It will be after classes begin. Probably 2 weeks into it. Having a direct deposit to your bank account is the fastest way to receive the money, rather than them mailing a check.

Ugh opposite of undergrad.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

I have received 0 info, still waiting to be added to the Facebook group. Sent my deposit, filed for on campus housing the 1st year... They are a little slow with everything, but patience is virtue...
I just talked to them today because I haven't received the titer, background check, and drug test information. They said that they just sent out an orientation package that should be arriving in the mail next week with a bunch of information.

So basically we have no info on anything until then... might just ask for a refund and call up temple... I don't like waiting 1 month until the date to know info... jk, but a little irritating because we have email lol.

Last edited:
I just talked to them today because I haven't received the titer, background check, and drug test information. They said that they just sent out an orientation package that should be arriving in the mail next week with a bunch of information.
my orientation packet has background check info but nothing about titers/drug tests so please let me know if yours does!

Also for anyone that mailed in their financial aid app to the school - how long did it take for them to get back to you? Tryna get my private loans going but I can't estimate til they fill me in

my orientation packet has background check info but nothing about titers/drug tests so please let me know if yours does!

Also for anyone that mailed in their financial aid app to the school - how long did it take for them to get back to you? Tryna get my private loans going but I can't estimate til they fill me in
Just got mine too and no information about the vaccines and titers as well :( along with no drug test information.

Ok friends, the castle branch website for the background check also includes the vaccines/titer requirements. I feel like it has the drug test stuff too but I am not sure where.

Ok friends, the castle branch website for the background check also includes the vaccines/titer requirements. I feel like it has the drug test stuff too but I am not sure where.
Is it one of those background checks that within three days you have to get everything done (drug tests etc)?

What kind of drugs are we testing?

Anyone receive a packet from the housing peoples? I paid them and still haven't received my welcome package. Is info in there?

Last edited:
What kind of drugs are we testing?

Anyone receive a packet from the housing peoples? I paid them and still haven't received my welcome package. Is info in there?
I don't think we will receive a packet from housing. Lee said he will be emailing out information in July.

Here is a little something about Dr. Trepal, Dean of NYCPM. Why he chose podiatry and the podiatry field in general over the years.

About 9 mins into the video he talks about why he chose Pod:

like a week for them to send you an email back

I am so lost on the castle branch website. I don't know what to upload. I have a card that just says all the vaccines I have taken but I feel like they need actual lab results. Can anyone help me out?

I am so lost on the castle branch website. I don't know what to upload. I have a card that just says all the vaccines I have taken but I feel like they need actual lab results. Can anyone help me out?
If you click on each requirement it has more info on what is needed. I made a list to make it easier

Measles (rubeola)
Positive antibody titer
If titer is negative, need booster shot and new positive titer

Mumps
(Same as above)

Rubella
(Same as above)

Varicella (chicken pox)
(Same as above)

Hep B
3 vaccinations or
Positive antibody titer or
Declination
(You could use a copy of your vaccine card for this one if you've received the vaccination)

TB test
1 step tb test with negative result
If positive, chest x ray

Tdap
Vaccine within last 10 years
(You can used you vaccine card for this as well if you've had it)

Meningococcal
Form you download and fill out

Physical exam
Form you download and doctor fills out

If you click on each requirement it has more info on what is needed. I made a list to make it easier

Measles (rubeola)
Positive antibody titer
If titer is negative, need booster shot and new positive titer

Mumps
(Same as above)

Rubella
(Same as above)

Varicella (chicken pox)
(Same as above)

Hep B
3 vaccinations or
Positive antibody titer or
Declination
(You could use a copy of your vaccine card for this one if you've received the vaccination)

TB test
1 step tb test with negative result
If positive, chest x ray

Tdap
Vaccine within last 10 years
(You can used you vaccine card for this as well if you've had it)

Meningococcal
Form you download and fill out

Physical exam
Form you download and doctor fills out
That was helpful. They are all on my vaccine card except Hep B. For the other ones do I just scan my vaccine card and upload it to each individual tab?

Interview next week. So far so good! :)
Congrats man good luck! You got this! I hope you did some shadowing on this profession to see if it's for you! Judging on your past posts.

Last edited:
That was helpful. They are all on my vaccine card except Hep B. For the other ones do I just scan my vaccine card and upload it to each individual tab?
For the first 4 you need titers for so your vaccine card will not suffice. They need to see that youre still immune.

For the first 4 you need titers for so your vaccine card will not suffice. They need to see that youre still immune.
Thank you! They just need proof I have been vaccinated from the titer results.

Thank you! They just need proof I have been vaccinated from the titer results.

Like @CappnNono said, you need the actual titer results to show you're still immune. Even if you have proof of vaccination, only the titers show if the vaccines you received were effective or not. When I got my titers done, even though I was up to date with vaccines technically, it turns out that one of them for some reason never took and therefore, I was still susceptible. So titers are needed to prove that the vaccines were successful.

Man having to deal with this castlebranch website is a hassle

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

anyone still looking for roommates. Another student and I are looking for 1-3 more roommates for apts near nycpm. The pricing is pretty close to student housing. Message me if you interested.

Recently accepted and put my deposit down as of this morning :)

Anyone, want to share pictures of the dorm? I asked lee and he told me my personal room was 200 sq ft and I am very doubtful of that.

Anyone, want to share pictures of the dorm? I asked lee and he told me my personal room was 200 sq ft and I am very doubtful of that.
Which room did you get?? Unfortunately I didn't save the pictures I took but they were bad anyways. The cheapest room was quite small. Fits a twin bed and desk in pretty close quarters. I chose the deluxe single which I thought was a pretty good size - fits a full size bed and dresser comfortably.