University of Waterloo Pharmacy c/o 2020

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Those are great ideas Cidersky! I am kinda not feeling so "social" these days because .. you know...people will be asking "what is going on with your life" and I have to tell them I'm "waiting for news", and they'll ask what program etc, and I might have to tell them, and then later on they'll ask me if I got in, and I may have to tell them "I got rejected". Its a very weird month for me ... feeling all kindas feelings LOL

I totally understand. I don't even want to bring up the topic of pharmacy myself haha.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Did anyone from UofT put in an request for OUAC on the initial application to send Waterloo your final transcripts for the second semester after the grades come out?
I just saw on the transcript website that they'll all get printed on June 4th...while the transcript is due at waterloo June 3rd.

How ridiculous is that? Now I have to waste another 12$ to print another copy and UofT won't change the date -_-" ... why on earth would you have it printed on June 4th when its due June 3rd ..

Everyone from UofT who put the initial request on OUAC for THEM to print it for you when the marks come out should double check this.

Members don't see this ad :)
Just curious: How many of you have uWaterloo as first choice?

My first choice is UofT!

Mine is UBC! Because it's far away and Vancouver is absolutely beautiful :D I heard they don't favour out-of-province students though so I'm really nervous :/

Hey everyone, I hope the wait isn't killing you :nailbiting:.
But how do you know if your school has sent in the official transcript, because on quest i can't see an option that says date received for winter transcript?

Hey everyone, I hope the wait isn't killing you :nailbiting:.
But how do you know if your school has sent in the official transcript, because on quest i can't see an option that says date received for winter transcript?

I am having the same problem, the transcript status on my quest account is not updated yet. But just to confirm, didn't Mr. Potvin mention that offers won't be taken away if transcripts don't reach on time? I was so nervous that day so I could have heard it wrong!

I am having the same problem, the transcript status on my quest account is not updated yet. But just to confirm, didn't Mr. Potvin mention that offers won't be taken away if transcripts don't reach on time? I was so nervous that day so I could have heard it wrong!
He said during the FSA that it wasn't a huge deal, that you would just receive a "conditional acceptance" in that case pending your transcript being received :)

Btw, for those who are wondering. You don't necessarily need to pass the FSA to be accepted. It is all relative! So if everyone failed, and you almost failed, you can still get accepted!

Btw, for those who are wondering. You don't necessarily need to pass the FSA to be accepted. It is all relative! So if everyone failed, and you almost failed, you can still get accepted!

Would you say the FSA is worth maybe 10% and the interview is worth 90%?

Does anyone think there is any chance of hearing before Thursday?

no... they always stick with their dates according to previous years ... We'll hear from U of T earlier tho (if u applied there)

Members don't see this ad :)
no... they always stick with their dates according to previous years ... We'll hear from U of T earlier tho (if u applied there)
Are you sure U of T will hear earlier?? When do you think? I'm so excited! Couldnt apply to U of W because I didnt have the right pre-reqs... Good luck everyone

Are you sure U of T will hear earlier?? When do you think? I'm so excited! Couldnt apply to U of W because I didnt have the right pre-reqs... Good luck everyone
apparently the last couple years the decision came out within 2 or 3 days of waterloo's!

Hey guys, I want your opinion on which one you would choose (please read before you answer). U of T pharmacy has EPE’s or early practice experience which is the same thing as co-op at Waterloo. UofT has 2 summer work terms (EPEs) and 1 unpaid advanced EPE volunteer term, while waterloo has 3 co-op terms. From what I researched and heard from other people, UofT is better than Waterloo if you want to have experience in a hospital or clinical pharmacy setting, while both are comparable for experience (co-op) in a retail pharmacy setting. This bias towards UofT is mainly due to the advanced EPE, which is in 4th year, as it is a 12 month volunteer term where you do rotations in multiple different pharmacy settings. From what I gather UofT may be better in the long run because it gives more experience (due to the advanced EPE and EPEs) and the option to be a hospital or clinical pharmacist (due to previous work/volunteer experience allowing you to beat other applicants for a job) and pays more than a retail pharmacist. However, Waterloo is better because it gives an additional paid work term, which reduces debt when graduating (even though waterloo costs more, it still is cheaper due to the extra work term), and I personally like Waterloo as a city compared to Toronto. So I was wondering if anyone has researched anything that is different and what your first choice would be if you had the choice? (I have not got into anything yet.) Below are some links/sources.

http://www.pharmacy.utoronto.ca/sites/default/files/upload/office_experimental_education/APPE Manual 2016-2017.pdf

https://uwaterloo.ca/finance/fee-schedule-canadian-and-permanent-resident-undergraduates-9#bridging

http://www.pharmacy.utoronto.ca/pharmd/admissions/faq#11. If I am admitted to the PharmD program, what costs should I expect?

https://uwaterloo.ca/pharmacy/sites...iles/co-op_work_term_requirements_oct2014.pdf

Last edited:
Ahhhh. Two more days (including today).... So nervous :boom:

@p1610 when I compare the two, I think only about the things that affect my future career as a pharmacist. I don't put a lot of thought on things like better city, paid vs unpaid work terms, etc. because I will only be studying 4 years and I won't be living there forever. Whichever one gives me the more useful experience and gives me a better career wins. This seems to be Toronto for me because of the hospital/ clinical experience, even though I think waterloo is a better city. As for the paid vs. unpaid, I know finances differ from family to family, but to me its not a strong enough reason to choose one over the other since most student pay via loans anyway and once we become pharmacists we will be in a good position to pay it all back. And job prospects a good.

In short, I consider things that affect my future career, and not so much things that affect my student life during the 4 years.

I hope this helps :)

@p1610 when I compare the two, I think only about the things that affect my future career as a pharmacist. I don't put a lot of thought on things like better city, paid vs unpaid work terms, etc. because I will only be studying 4 years and I won't be living there forever. Whichever one gives me the more useful experience and gives me a better career wins. This seems to be Toronto for me because of the hospital/ clinical experience, even though I think waterloo is a better city. As for the paid vs. unpaid, I know finances differ from family to family, but to me its not a strong enough reason to choose one over the other since most student pay via loans anyway and once we become pharmacists we will be in a good position to pay it all back. And job prospects a good.

In short, I consider things that affect my future career, and not so much things that affect my student life during the 4 years.

I hope this helps :)

To be completely honest I think your 4 years during school will shape you as a pharmacist in the future so I wouldn't completely shut the idea of having an enjoyable four years down.

As for which is a better city I personally think that Toronto is a much more beautiful place vs all the construction that is going on in Waterloo that is likely to continue into late 2018 and early 2019... The Kitchener area around the pharmacy school isn't nearly as nice as u of t's

With regards to the co-op portion I do agree that finances shouldn't be a major concern because we will be put in a good position to pay them off and u of t's inter-hospital connections definitely put it over waterloo.

In addition, the admissions committee wasn't nearly as welcoming as u of t's (during the admission process and the interview stage). This hints that the faculty and academic staff wouldn't be as

And it's for those reasons why I would personally choose U of T over Waterloo.

What do you guys think

Having worked in a pharmacy for almost 5 years, UofT's placements are definitely FAR, FAR inferior to Waterloos.

First off, the EPE placements after years 1 and 2 are only a month long. They work on a lottery system. You basically list your top choices and you're randomly assigned where your placement is. If you want hospital and get community pharmacy, you're **** outta luck.

The APPE placements that UofT have in their last year are the exact same as Waterloo. Waterloo requires you to do placements in your last year as well.

Waterloo definitely gives you way more experience than UofT. The EPE placements are a joke. Many a time I've had UofT students come to the pharmacy I work at and have absolutely NO IDEA how to do ANYTHING (including interacting with people...) and by the time they HAVE learned how a pharmacy works, their placement is done and they just forget everything in the next year due to not having their knowledge reinforced.

Hope that helps.

Having worked in a pharmacy for almost 5 years, UofT's placements are definitely FAR, FAR inferior to Waterloos.

First off, the EPE placements after years 1 and 2 are only a month long. They work on a lottery system. You basically list your top choices and you're randomly assigned where your placement is. If you want hospital and get community pharmacy, you're **** outta luck.

The APPE placements that UofT have in their last year are the exact same as Waterloo. Waterloo requires you to do placements in your last year as well.

Waterloo definitely gives you way more experience than UofT. The EPE placements are a joke. Many a time I've had UofT students come to the pharmacy I work at and have absolutely NO IDEA how to do ANYTHING (including interacting with people...) and by the time they HAVE learned how a pharmacy works, their placement is done and they just forget everything in the next year due to not having their knowledge reinforced.

Hope that helps.

informative discussions!!

Hope that helps.
EPE placements are only a month or two long? I thought they were all summer long!
Also, if you don't mind me asking, how do you know that the APPE U of T placements are the same as waterloo's? They are two separate institutions with diverse types of connections to hospitals and community pharmacies do I don't see how they would be the same.

For the lottery system, is it strictly based on a lottery system or your academic/extracurricular performance compared to the rest of the class?

EPE placements are only a month or two long? I thought they were all summer long!
Also, if you don't mind me asking, how do you know that the APPE U of T placements are the same as waterloo's? They are two separate institutions with diverse types of connections to hospitals and community pharmacies do I don't see how they would be the same.

For the lottery system, is it strictly based on a lottery system or your academic/extracurricular performance compared to the rest of the class?
For the 1 month EPE I think it is possible to get hired for the rest of the summer but the actual EPE portion is 1 month (full time hours)

EPE placements are only a month long each. Not the whole summer. Waterloo co-op however, is in 4 month blocks. 3 co op terms > 2 EPE 1 month placements.

I don't know how similar they are. However I do know that both are in the last year (for the whole year pretty much) where you use your knowledge in multiple professional environments as a training purpose. I'm pretty sure that Waterloo placements are the same (you use your knowledge and partake in more pharmacist type duties).

For EPE, IF you do a great job and IF the place you're at is hiring, and IF they decide you're the best candidate should they choose not to interview anyone else, you have a chance of getting hired after. A lot of if's.

On topic though, good luck to all for tomorrow! I know my nerves are starting to kick in too

These are the most stressful hours ever; I can't believe the 9th is tomorrow. Hopefully, I'll be ready to face the bad...

Good luck to everyone! You've all worked hard to get here. :)

These are the most stressful hours ever; I can't believe the 9th is tomorrow. Hopefully, I'll be ready to face the bad...

Good luck to everyone! You've all worked hard to get here. :)
I agree! These few hours are the toughest. I can't manage to do anything else besides thing about the results. Who else is with me?

Last edited:
To be completely honest I think your 4 years during school will shape you as a pharmacist in the future so I wouldn't completely shut the idea of having an enjoyable four years down.

As for which is a better city I personally think that Toronto is a much more beautiful place vs all the construction that is going on in Waterloo that is likely to continue into late 2018 and early 2019... The Kitchener area around the pharmacy school isn't nearly as nice as u of t's

With regards to the co-op portion I do agree that finances shouldn't be a major concern because we will be put in a good position to pay them off and u of t's inter-hospital connections definitely put it over waterloo.

In addition, the admissions committee wasn't nearly as welcoming as u of t's (during the admission process and the interview stage). This hints that the faculty and academic staff wouldn't be as

And it's for those reasons why I would personally choose U of T over Waterloo.

What do you guys think
Thanks for the info. Finances are a little tight for me personally but I do agree with PhutureRX and you that I should consider what makes me most competitive for jobs after schooling. I just really liked the people interviewing me at waterloo (along with the city). Decisions, decisions :)

Thanks for the info. Finances are a little tight for me personally but I do agree with PhutureRX and you that I should consider what makes me most competitive for jobs after schooling. I just really liked the people interviewing me at waterloo (along with the city). Decisions, decisions :)
I'm from Waterloo, it is a nice city for sure! Lots to do but quiet as well

Will they update quest at 12am, like they did last year?

Got in hehe

For next year's students: It came out June 9th ~ 8:30 am on Quest

Last edited:
Got in as well!

Last edited:
Just accepted my offer of admission on quest!!!! :soexcited:I am so excited!! I can't wait to meet everyone in January!!

For those that got accepted, did you already send in your final transcript or do you still have to?

Yeah it should have gotten updated, if not you're probably on the wait list or they are waiting for your final transcript.

oh okay, it stills says it's in the "Application" status. I also wasn't a uwaterloo student for my undergrad.

Yeah it should have gotten updated, if not you're probably on the wait list or they are waiting for your final transcript.

Also, If I was denied, would it have updated with that status already on quest?