University of Waterloo Pharmacy c/o 2020

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Hey guys,

I need some advice. I REALLY want to apply to the Waterloo pharmacy program for January 2017. I have completed my degree and I have a 92% average. The problem is that I will be missing two prerequisite courses and I will not be able to take them until the summer. Do you think they will still consider me and is there a spot on the AIF to explain that I have plans to complete the courses before I start the pharm program?
Additionally, I do not have a pharmacist as a reference, but I do have my pharmacology prof who could vouch for my competence in the subject and my personality for the profession. Is it okay not to have a pharmacist complete the reference letter?

I know someone that finished up their microbio pre-req in the summer, and was still accepted to the program

Members don't see this ad.

Hey guys, I'm getting a little nervous for my interview on Sunday! I'm reading this thread with some of you posting your stats and mine is way below you guys! Do you guys know if they only look at the interview (and FSA) and not so much your transcript after you have received the invite for interview? Like if my AIF and transcript was used to see if I get an interview. And if the interview + FSA is used to help get me an acceptance? Not sure how anything works D:

Hey guys, I'm getting a little nervous for my interview on Sunday! I'm reading this thread with some of you posting your stats and mine is way below you guys! Do you guys know if they only look at the interview (and FSA) and not so much your transcript after you have received the invite for interview? Like if my AIF and transcript was used to see if I get an interview. And if the interview + FSA is used to help get me an acceptance? Not sure how anything works D:

I'm 99% sure that once you're given an interview, the AIF and transcript no longer matter. Interviewers are not given any information about the interviewees except for their names, and get the final call for admitting a student. I think it makes sense this way too to prevent any sort of bias from the interviewers. The interviews are there primarily to judge your character, whereas the AIF screening process has already assessed each applicant's academics.

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm 99% sure that once you're given an interview, the AIF and transcript no longer matter. Interviewers are not given any information about the interviewees except for their names, and get the final call for admitting a student. I think it makes sense this way too to prevent any sort of bias from the interviewers. The interviews are there primarily to judge your character, whereas the AIF screening process has already assessed each applicant's academics.

r u jchu in nursing?!?! LOOOOOOL jk. so the interviewers get the final say/ making the decision???

I'm not sure that this is quite accurate. I may be wrong, but most likely the interview is just a weighted portion of your application (and maybe at this stage higher/much more highly weighted than the other components) but I think that the other components still do matter at least to an extent. The interviewers' opinions just give the admissions committee the final piece of info they need to make a decision.

good luck to y'all this weekend! See some of you tomorrow! Time to prep something for tomorrow now haha

Will be the "first batch" of interviewees. Super nervous and can't believe that this day is here already.

@pms_testosterone would talking about a volunteer job at a hospital (not in a pharmacy) be considered as "reciting my resume"? I'm still having trouble coming up with something to talk about for 5+ minutes

I think I'm going to talk about a project I've worked on. Only problem I have is that it's not too relevant to pharmacy. I guess I'll have to be creative

I think it's better if it's not related to pharmacy. Just remember to make sure that your presentation tells the panel what the project/your role on the project says about you as a person!

That was fun! good luck to those flying to UBC

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
anyone went today? how does everyone feel?
It was alright. School seems good. Not a big fan of the city, it's much smaller than Toronto. Construction there is very annoying as well. feels like a jackhammer right next door. COOP will definitely be nice, + startng in january. I think MMI are more fun but the people interviewing me were very nice. I had a good time in there. It was pretty short though, I think I was was the first one to leave in my batch. FSA wasn't too bad either

What's the minimum mark to "pass" to FSA?

Last edited:
I don't think there is minimum mark to pass, but you should try to complete the entire test.

Did the entire test, though I'm just unsure what kind of minimum for each component they were looking for.

man...i thought the interview was more stressful than UofT! I mean darn ... if we're asked for a specific situation where we've experienced something, shouldn't it be acceptable for you to take 10 seconds to think about how to structure it? I feel like when I asked for 10 seconds to think about one question, I was looked down upon ....
do you guys think content matters more or like delivery matters a lot too?
I think both components (content+delivery) are important when answering a question but I definitely understand what you're saying. I didn't get much of a positive vibe from the panel either and the FSA was…Interesting. Time management is definitely key.

Did the entire test, though I'm just unsure what kind of minimum for each component they were looking for.
One of the coordinators said that you must do "sufficiently well" in all three components of the FSA. So, i really don't know how they define "sufficiently well" here.

I think both components (content+delivery) are important when answering a question but I definitely understand what you're saying. I didn't get much of a positive vibe from the panel either and the FSA was…Interesting. Time management is definitely key.

yes! my friend said she made a joke to them last year and they laughed and gave her feedback during the interview too. whereas my interviewers are not allowed to say anything other than the question to me and kept a straight face even when i made a joke :(

FSA was I think a bit harder than how some of my friends described it (very easy, don't worry at all), but not undoable at all! you're right about time management!

My interviewers were the same! They all had a straight face the whole time...
It made me even more nervous, I didn't answer some of the questions properly now that I think about it ):

FSA was alright, I found the reading component to be the most difficult.
:xf:hope I didn't do as terrible as I thought haha
Good luck to the people tomorrow!!:highfive:

Sorry to hear you guys had such straight faced interviewers! Mine were super nice and laughed when I made jokes! I thought the FSA went ok too

And good luck to those who still need to do their interviews! I'm sure you'll kill it :)

So what happened to those that could not make the FSA due to the collision on the highway today? :O

Did you call Ken to let him know? They gave us his number in an email
Yes, he told me nothing can be done about it unfortunately... So I just did my interview component.

Does anyone know whether our AIF and transcripts still matter at this point of the application process?

Yes, he told me nothing can be done about it unfortunately... So I just did my interview component.

Does anyone know whether our AIF and transcripts still matter at this point of the application process?

Ohh damn that sucks. Unfortunately, what they told us today was that nothing else matters anymore. Only your SAF, to a certain extent, and your interview matters the most. They emphasised that the interview is the major deal.

Oh no :( Came into the FSA a little over half an hour late today because of the collision... with the quality of my writing, I don't even know if not writing the FSA and going straight to the interview would have been a better representation of my work. What a stressful day it was.

Oh no :( Came into the FSA a little over half an hour late today because of the collision... with the quality of my writing, I don't even know if not writing the FSA and going straight to the interview would have been a better representation of my work. What a stressful day it was.
Very unfortunate :'( But on the bright side is that at least you got to try it! I didnt even get a chance! Did you ask Ken for an extension?

Had a very friendly interview panel, hoping everyone's interviews went well!! Now we wait....this is going to be the longest month

Is it a big deal if we didn't answer one of the questions on the reading comp portion of the FSA? Ran out of time to give a good enough answer...

Is it a big deal if we didn't answer one of the questions on the reading comp portion of the FSA? Ran out of time to give a good enough answer...
I wouldn't think that one question would be too big of a deal, if you had not answered like half of them maybe, but for one most likely not if you did well on the others

Had a very friendly interview panel, hoping everyone's interviews went well!! Now we wait....this is going to be the longest month
The months gonna fly by. Just take your mind off of it and get busy with other things! No point in stressing over it now, nothing can be done anymore.

The months gonna fly by. Just take your mind off of it and get busy with other things! No point in stressing over it now, nothing can be done anymore.
Never said I was stressing over it haha. I'm just so excited for June 9th to finally get here and to know!

is this school hard get into? im not canadian but keep seeing posts on this school and saw u have 4.7 gpa as highest? what yall pcat gpa get here in or interview

The wait...I really hope UofT's decision comes out at a similar time.

Just curious: How many of you have uWaterloo as first choice?

My first choice is UofT!

Just curious: How many of you have uWaterloo as first choice?

My first choice is UofT!

Just curious, why is your first choice UofT, despite all the great benefits of co-op @ waterloo? Is it because of the city?

how is everyone passing time during the waiting game haha

how is everyone passing time during the waiting game haha

Trying to make the best out of the days! I know I could be possibly hoping for the days to pass only to be faced with a rejection letter, so I'm trying to hone my other interests - drawing, writing, reading - in the mean time.

Here are some things I've noticed that make the days pass faster:
- Take a book(s) out from the library and plan to finish it/them. You may find that you the return date is approaching faster than you expected and before you know it, it's the end of May.
- Plan events and scatter them throughout the month of May. When you've got dates to look forward to, it makes the month zip by.

Trying to make the best out of the days! I know I could be possibly hoping for the days to pass only to be faced with a rejection letter, so I'm trying to hone my other interests - drawing, writing, reading - in the mean time.

Here are some things I've noticed that make the days pass faster:
- Take a book(s) out from the library and plan to finish it/them. You may find that you the return date is approaching faster than you expected and before you know it, it's the end of May.
- Plan events and scatter them throughout the month of May. When you've got dates to look forward to, it makes the month zip by.

Those are great ideas Cidersky! I am kinda not feeling so "social" these days because .. you know...people will be asking "what is going on with your life" and I have to tell them I'm "waiting for news", and they'll ask what program etc, and I might have to tell them, and then later on they'll ask me if I got in, and I may have to tell them "I got rejected". Its a very weird month for me ... feeling all kindas feelings LOL