University of Waterloo Pharmacy c/o 2020

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Yay! Also wondering the same thing asthe other person

Anyone know recent statistics concerning the applications/admissions? As in, how many applied vs. how many got an interview vs. how many were given offers.

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi,
Can anyone here give me some more insight on FSE (length, time provided for each section, difficulty level)? Also, for the interview, are we allowed to bring powerpoint/ print out things??? What sorts of thing can we bring? How much creativity are the interviewers looking for? Thanks!

Hi guys,

Congrats to all that got an interview! Unfortunately, I did not receive one this year, I was wondering if any of you could provide me some insight as to how to further strengthen my application.

My GPA is 3.70 (85%)

Experience:
1.) I did CO-OP at a pharmacy for a semester and they employed me as a pharmacy technician afterwards
2.) I also work as a merchandiser and post-office clerk at the same store (Shopper's Drug Mart)

However, there was also an issue with the admission's office. They e-mailed me saying that they did not receive my transcript after the due date, but I was positive that I entered my marks on the application with the AIF as well as sending a mailed transcript to the university. I was wondering if that could also be a reason that affected my application.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Thank you!

Hi guys,

Congrats to all that got an interview! Unfortunately, I did not receive one this year, I was wondering if any of you could provide me some insight as to how to further strengthen my application.

My GPA is 3.70 (85%)

Experience:
1.) I did CO-OP at a pharmacy for a semester and they employed me as a pharmacy technician afterwards
2.) I also work as a merchandiser and post-office clerk at the same store (Shopper's Drug Mart)

However, there was also an issue with the admission's office. They e-mailed me saying that they did not receive my transcript after the due date, but I was positive that I entered my marks on the application with the AIF as well as sending a mailed transcript to the university. I was wondering if that could also be a reason that affected my application.

Thank you!

By the looks of it, your average is on point. Maybe, your AIF and/or LOF was not strong enough. Try to improve those for next time. Also, try to get more involvement, not only in a pharmacy setting but also in school and the community. The think with waterloo is that they don't prioritize grades that much as they try to evaluate a person as a whole.

I'm sure that if you just tweak up your AIF and get a LOF from a pharmacist, and just a few more involvement you will definitely get an interview for next time.

Also, it may be that your transcript did not reach on time, regardless if you entered your grades on the AIF. I believe waterloo are very strict about that as probably all professional schools are.

Does anybody know if you have to keep up the 75% average after you've been accepted for the interview?

hey guhs i got my.interview invite at 10 40am today,where as my friend got.it.an hour before me , does this mean im lower on the candidates list

Does anybody know if you have to keep up the 75% average after you've been accepted for the interview?
I don't believe you do, but if at all possible I would make sure that it doesn't slip too much/that you can keep it the same or higher

Hey guys, unfortunately I did not get an interview this year. I suspect it has to do with the fact that I am missing 4 required courses from the time that I applied (I am taking those 4 courses THIS term). I think this puts me at a competitive disadvantage since they give preference to those who have all of the courses completed at the time of application... (really disappointing IMO). Has anyone heard of the same issue? Other than that, my stats are pretty decent. I'm doing a major in pharmacology + 1 year of full time and part time pharmacy tech experience at Shopper's and a killer reference letter. Tons of ECs at school, too and competitive GPA. Anyone with me here? :(

I asked the admissions lady and she told me that as long as you are getting the credit before the end of winter term (April), you are at no disadvantage. I got an interview and I am currently taking 3 of the required courses right now.

Hey guys, unfortunately I did not get an interview this year. I suspect it has to do with the fact that I am missing 4 required courses from the time that I applied (I am taking those 4 courses THIS term). I think this puts me at a competitive disadvantage since they give preference to those who have all of the courses completed at the time of application... (really disappointing IMO). Has anyone heard of the same issue? Other than that, my stats are pretty decent. I'm doing a major in pharmacology + 1 year of full time and part time pharmacy tech experience at Shopper's and a killer reference letter. Tons of ECs at school, too and competitive GPA. Anyone with me here? :(
Hmm did you indicate that you were taking the courses (IP) or did you leave that blank? I would presume that as long as you stated that you were taking them this term you wouldn't be at a disadvantage. So maybe it was a mistake on the AIF or you left that out?

Members don't see this ad :)
I guess I'll mention my stats as a point of reference for others. got the interview.
4th year, 3.6 GPA 82% average.

tons of different types of work experience and involvements. bartending, financial advising, factory work, customer service, school involvements like clubs and other silly stuff. Worked sales and volunteered at rexall pharmacy, one at mount sinai. Also running small business of mine.

My Letter of reference was frankly not the greatest. From my understanding, the person who provided it, gives a lot each year and I got an idea of what she said and she was brutally honest.

I wrote my AIF pretty quick, I didn't read it over much. I did it early but looking back I saw many MANY typos and straight up bad english.

Soo idk. my grades for the required courses are generally higher than my average, I just screwed up other silly stuff.

Anyway, I see some people with better grades and killer references etc. idk how they selected for interviews.

Also, I know that 120 get accepted each year. I think some of those seats are reserved for CAP students?? Anyway how many interview invites are sent out? Anyone know? Just trying to figure out my odds of getting in.

I know it's competitive and helping each other is kinda like screwing yourself over in a way lol. so idk if anyone will put up resources useful for preparing for the interview. If not, any ideas or sources to use to prepare for the interview?

Hmm did you indicate that you were taking the courses (IP) or did you leave that blank? I would presume that as long as you stated that you were taking them this term you wouldn't be at a disadvantage. So maybe it was a mistake on the AIF or you left that out?

I definitely indicated to them that they were in progress in my AIF. According to their website it says "Students who will be missing a small number of courses by the end of the winter term are still encouraged to apply if they are otherwise qualified, as each year the Admissions Committee typically releases some offers of admission to strong candidates missing just a few courses. This is conditional on them completing the courses by the end of the calendar year. As the applicant pool changes each cycle, it is impossible for us to predict how many students will be offered admission while missing any courses. The preference, as stated above, is to offer admission to students who are not missing any courses."

To be honest, I didn't really take that in until today (not that it would have affected my decision to apply). I just didn't know it would affect me that much. Disappointing, but what can you do :(

I'm also
I definitely indicated to them that they were in progress in my AIF. According to their website it says "Students who will be missing a small number of courses by the end of the winter term are still encouraged to apply if they are otherwise qualified, as each year the Admissions Committee typically releases some offers of admission to strong candidates missing just a few courses. This is conditional on them completing the courses by the end of the calendar year. As the applicant pool changes each cycle, it is impossible for us to predict how many students will be offered admission while missing any courses. The preference, as stated above, is to offer admission to students who are not missing any courses."

To be honest, I didn't really take that in until today (not that it would have affected my decision to apply). I just didn't know it would affect me that much. Disappointing, but what can you do :(

I am also currently taking 2 of the required courses right now, so I'm not sure if that is what made the difference. Could it be that your reference said something negative about you without letting you know? You could also email the admissions and ask - I don't think it would hurt

But you said that you wouldn't be missing those courses by the end of the winter term (note the wording in the first sentence of their paragraph), so that does not apply to you if you're taking the courses now

I'm also

I am also currently taking 2 of the required courses right now, so I'm not sure if that is what made the difference. Could it be that your reference said something negative about you without letting you know? You could also email the admissions and ask - I don't think it would hurt

I just emailed them and they said that my assumption is correct: the fact that I am taking the courses RIGHT NOW puts me at a disadvantage....... so just a PSA to any future applicants. It's best that you have all the courses done beforehand. I guess the fact that I don't have FOUR of the required courses, not just 2 or 3. Good luck to the rest of you guys! And thanks for your help.

Hey, this isn't necessarily true. I currently didn't have around 3 or 4 courses completed when I applied as I had to take them this semester, and I still got called down for an interview. Maybe there is another reason.

Hey, this isn't necessarily true. I currently didn't have around 3 or 4 courses completed when I applied as I had to take them this semester, and I still got called down for an interview. Maybe there is another reason.
They said that they would consider taking applicants who are missing some courses if they are really strong candidates. In this case, your application was probably a lot stronger than mine!

Also, I know that 120 get accepted each year. I think some of those seats are reserved for CAP students?? Anyway how many interview invites are sent out? Anyone know? Just trying to figure out my odds of getting in.

I know it's competitive and helping each other is kinda like screwing yourself over in a way lol. so idk if anyone will put up resources useful for preparing for the interview. If not, any ideas or sources to use to prepare for the interview?
Max 240 candidates are selected for the interview to fill 120 spots, 20 seats of which are reserved for CAP students!

@giverespect&takerespect

The FSE is easy, but time is limited. Be prepared to work quickly.
Almost anything goes for the interview. If you're doing slides, best to bring a device to show them on. People have brought items like artwork and sports equipment in the past. Just talking about a topic - for example a volunteer job you had - for 5 minutes is also perfectly acceptable.

@josiahjoshh The missing transcript may have been the issue, but make sure you fill out your AIF fully with all volunteer roles, clubs, etc. - not just the ones directly related to pharmacy.

@misak11 Approximately 240 people are invited to interview. I assume more than 120 people are offered admission, as many will choose to go elsewhere.

To prepare for the interview, you should practice your presentation several times. You should also practice generic interview questions with someone who doesn't know you well, such as a university career counselor. You do not need to study anything in particular for the interview, and there are no resources that can help you other than generic lists of job/professional school interview questions that can be found online.

@giverespect&takerespect

The FSE is easy, but time is limited. Be prepared to work quickly.
Almost anything goes for the interview. If you're doing slides, best to bring a device to show them on. People have brought items like artwork and sports equipment in the past. Just talking about a topic - for example a volunteer job you had - for 5 minutes is also perfectly acceptable.

@josiahjoshh The missing transcript may have been the issue, but make sure you fill out your AIF fully with all volunteer roles, clubs, etc. - not just the ones directly related to pharmacy.

@misak11 Approximately 240 people are invited to interview. I assume more than 120 people are offered admission, as many will choose to go elsewhere.

To prepare for the interview, you should practice your presentation several times. You should also practice generic interview questions with someone who doesn't know you well, such as a university career counselor. You do not need to study anything in particular for the interview, and there are no resources that can help you other than generic lists of job/professional school interview questions that can be found online.

Is the part where we have to talk about ourselves for 5-10 minutes more about how special your skill/activity/job/travel was and how much this makes you stand out as a person, or just about how well you can speak for 5 minutes? I'm really conflicted about what specific topic to speak of

@Bananarama331 Both, but you're not being rated for your uniqueness. Just choose something you're involved in and can speak comfortably about for 5+ minutes.

Hi guys,

My GPA is 3.70 (85%)

Experience:

Thank you!
hey. I am sorry that you didn't get an interview. Hopefully you you will get in next year. I was wondering if you were taking full load courses?

@josiahjoshh I was exactly in the same situation as you. I was 100% sure that i entered my marks in the AIF and mailed my transcript. I even called the Admissions office to confirm that my application was complete, and that they weren't missing any documents, and they said it was complete. Despite this, I got the email about the missing transcript, and emailed them an unofficial copy. I got my invite yesterday.
I don't think it's a transcript issue in your case, unless you didn't reply to their email. However your application is very strong, so I'm not sure what the issue is.
I would call them and ask.

Anyone here who didn't have any experience working in a pharmacy but still got a call for an interview?
I didnt get an interview but I worked in a pharmaceutical company for 2 years, but maybe the fact that I didn't volunteer/work in a pharmacy put me at a disadvantage..?

hey. I am sorry that you didn't get an interview. Hopefully you you will get in next year. I was wondering if you were taking full load courses?

During my first year, I was taking 4.0 credits, however during my second and third year (current), I have been taking full course load courses (5.0 credits).

@josiahjoshh I was exactly in the same situation as you. I was 100% sure that i entered my marks in the AIF and mailed my transcript. I even called the Admissions office to confirm that my application was complete, and that they weren't missing any documents, and they said it was complete. Despite this, I got the email about the missing transcript, and emailed them an unofficial copy. I got my invite yesterday.
I don't think it's a transcript issue in your case, unless you didn't reply to their email. However your application is very strong, so I'm not sure what the issue is.
I would call them and ask.

Congratulations on your invite! But yes, the exact same thing happened to me. Julie Pocock sent me an email about my transcript and I did reply back with an apology with an unofficial copy of my marks. My reference was also from a pharmacist that I am currently employed for. I was absolutely shocked when I did not receive one. I think I shall give them a call. Thank you!

@sagacitie No. Any of those topics would be fine/are similar to those of people who got accepted.

Reactions: 1 user
For those that got an invite, when you replied to the email to confirm your interview did they email you back?

For those that got an invite, when you replied to the email to confirm your interview did they email you back?

Omg I was just gonna ask the same thing! I only replied back yesterday - but I haven't heard anything back after my reply so far !

Omg I was just gonna ask the same thing! I only replied back yesterday - but I haven't heard anything back after my reply so far !
I heard from my friend last year that they don't send a confirmation, but that after the date to accept they send out more details

are there anyone here that applied to UBC's pharmacy school and got an interview??

are there anyone here that applied to UBC's pharmacy school and got an interview??

I applied to UBC's pharmacy school and i got a reject. I don't think they consider many out of province students and if they do, they probably have high GPAs.

Yes, I am OOP for UBC. My CGPa is a 3.88.

@TheLegend sorry to hear that, but at least you don't have to worry about flying over and spending more money on plane tickets? :( My GPA isn't that good tho; low 80s average ... but I heard they weigh the personal profile quite a bit, so maybe that's why?

@md1993 omg congrats!! what times are yours? my Waterloo one is at 3pm and UBC's at 7am ... guess i'm not sleeping much that night aha

@TheLegend sorry to hear that, but at least you don't have to worry about flying over and spending more money on plane tickets? :( My GPA isn't that good tho; low 80s average ... but I heard they weigh the personal profile quite a bit, so maybe that's why?

@md1993 omg congrats!! what times are yours? my Waterloo one is at 3pm and UBC's at 7am ... guess i'm not sleeping much that night aha

Thank you! Congratulations to you as well. My Waterloo interview is at 3:30 and UBC at 1:30.

I also got both a Waterloo and UBC interview. Excited but nervous!
I'm from Ontario.

congrats!! and same here! I'm from Montreal but at Waterloo right now :) what times are your interviews? My UW one is on April 29, UBC's on April 30

congrats!! and same here! I'm from Montreal but at Waterloo right now :) what times are your interviews? My UW one is on April 29, UBC's on April 30

Thank-you! Congrats to you too! :)
My waterloo interview is April 30th at 1PM and my UBC interview is May 1st at 12:30!

Are we supposed to receive an email after confirming the interview? Curious because still haven't heard back!

Reactions: 1 users
How is everyone preparing for the SAF?
Possibly read and comprehend a bunch of journal articles, not sure if that would be of any help though. From what i've read in the previous posts, there seems to be no specific way that you can study/prepare for it.

Possibly read and comprehend a bunch of journal articles, not sure if that would be of any help though. From what i've read in the previous posts, there seems to be no specific way that you can study/prepare for it.

Will studying for Reading Comprehension from the PCAT help for the reading comprehension part of the SAF?