University of Toronto Pharmacy Class of 2017

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Honestly, the PCAT is not bad at all. I wrote it in January and I only studied one week for it. I spent 6-8 hours per day during that week studying though. I got 92 percentile composite score with 99 percentile in chemistry. I found verbal ability the hardest section (which is pretty sad considering that I was born here).

yeah? that just made me feel a lot better. i have a month to study for it and im planning on studying at least three hours a day during this month. also, i have a lot of science/math background so i feel like i kind of know but i really do need to review since no calculators are allowed so i need to be quick.

any tips?

Members don't see this ad.

yeah? that just made me feel a lot better. i have a month to study for it and im planning on studying at least three hours a day during this month. also, i have a lot of science/math background so i feel like i kind of know but i really do need to review since no calculators are allowed so i need to be quick.

any tips?

Oh you'll be fine, you have more than enough time. Your best bet is to try to get your hand on one of the prep books like Kaplan or Collins. It'll tell you exactly what you need to know, how to study and what to expect on the test. Good luck !

Members don't see this ad :)
Yes that helps. Right now I am hoping that I at least get wait listed. I heard about 20 people every year reject the enrolment for various reasons.

It definitely helps to stay optimistic. Something that's super important to remember is that U of T has some of the highest acceptance rates in Canada. They take about 50% of the students that interview so those chances are actually really good !

It definitely helps to stay optimistic. Something that's super important to remember is that U of T has some of the highest acceptance rates in Canada. They take about 50% of the students that interview so those chances are actually really good !

After the interview do they look at PCAT and grades or just decide based on interview. Or is it that interview is given more importance?

How long does it take for PCAT results to come in so that I can send it to U of T when I apply? When is the deadline for U of T applications to be handed in?
Is that even the right process when applying? Im not familiar with U of T application process.

I'm just curious, how many people applied to both UofT and Waterloo and got the interview for both schools?

After the interview do they look at PCAT and grades or just decide based on interview. Or is it that interview is given more importance?

I always thought the interview was given the most importance, but based on what people have said on the forum it could be worth less. According to the UofT website we get a composite score including our gpa, PCAT and interview. How much each component is worth is a mystery.

Honestly we've been debating this for a while now but I think they're all considered with the interview being the most important.

How long does it take for PCAT results to come in so that I can send it to U of T when I apply? When is the deadline for U of T applications to be handed in?
Is that even the right process when applying? Im not familiar with U of T application process.

The final deadline for the recent application round was January 9, 2013. Perhaps next years application deadline will be around then. When you apply, you give in your PCAT I.D. number. This will allow for UofT to access your scores without you needing to send in your results by yourself. So as long as you do your PCAT before that date you should be fine.

Do you guys think admission will be more competitive because the program changed to PharmD or will it be more or less the same?

Do you guys think admission will be more competitive because the program changed to PharmD or will it be more or less the same?

I think it will be a little more competitive, especially because of increased out of province applicants. For example, in QC both universities that have a pharm program have a PharmD curriculum however both schools are French universities. For English people, the fact that U of T now offers the same degree but with an English curriculum is very attractive.

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm just curious, how many people applied to both UofT and Waterloo and got the interview for both schools?

Hey, I applied to both, but I feel like I have a better shot at UofT because I feel like I did better in the MMI than the panel style
Everyone I talked to before the Waterloo interview applied to UofT too, but only few people i talked to during the UofT interview date applied to Waterloo too (due to obvious reasons like the letter of reference)

Can anyone explain what the mmi are like in terms of what type of questions they ask? Do they ask like our opinions on current issues in the pharmacy profession? i'm an absolute airhead when it comes to topics like those... LOL. Or do they ask like situational questions? :s

Can anyone explain what the mmi are like in terms of what type of questions they ask? Do they ask like our opinions on current issues in the pharmacy profession? i'm an absolute airhead when it comes to topics like those... LOL. Or do they ask like situational questions? :s

They ask a wide range of questions but most of them require you to present an argument, try to resolve an issue or "choose a side" in terms of a situation. All of the questions test your ability to think critically and formulate an argument or opinion coherently on the spot. They'll ask you ethical questions and general questions about the healthcare system and contemporary issues.

Do a little research online and look at the sample questions, you'll see what it's all about.

They ask a wide range of questions but most of them require you to present an argument, try to resolve an issue or "choose a side" in terms of a situation. All of the questions test your ability to think critically and formulate an argument or opinion coherently on the spot. They'll ask you ethical questions and general questions about the healthcare system and contemporary issues.

Do a little research online and look at the sample questions, you'll see what it's all about.

oh god...contemporary issues and the healthcare system...LOL I already feel like i don't have a shot at getting in and I'm not even applying this year ! :(

oh god...contemporary issues and the healthcare system...LOL I already feel like i don't have a shot at getting in and I'm not even applying this year ! :(

It really isn't as bad as it seems! Take a look at sample mmi questions online and you will get a sense of what to expect. It seems intimidating at first, but once you start looking into concepts and doing practice questions you will be confident! :)

Honestly don't worry too much about. Just try to read some of the newspaper health sections and you'll be fine with both the contemporary and healthcare questions. Most of the stuff they focus on is stuff you know. It really isn't as bad as it seems. Like everyone has said, if you do your prep work and put some time into it you'll see that it's very straightforward.

omg, I got an email today saying they haven't received my final transcript yet. I requested it months ago and it was supposed to be sent once grades were finalized in May... now I'm thinking my registrar's office lost my request. The deadline is Friday :scared:

Did this happen to anyone else?

omg, I got an email today saying they haven't received my final transcript yet. I requested it months ago and it was supposed to be sent once grades were finalized in May... now I'm thinking my registrar's office lost my request. The deadline is Friday :scared:

Quickly! Send that transcript via courier!!!

I got the same e-mail but the stupid thing is, my school only made my grade available yesterday morning. So I sent it via courier yesterday and it's supposed to take 2-4 business days. (I hope it counts yesterday!) I also saw somewhere you need to notify them in writing (letter, e-mail, fax) if there's any reason your transcript is late.

Quickly! Send that transcript via courier!!!

I got the same e-mail but the stupid thing is, my school only made my grade available yesterday morning. So I sent it via courier yesterday and it's supposed to take 2-4 business days. (I hope it counts yesterday!) I also saw somewhere you need to notify them in writing (letter, e-mail, fax) if there's any reason your transcript is late.
Doesn't the transcript have to come from the school? Either way, I don't have an official copy, and it takes a week for my school (Waterloo) to process a transcript request. I'm so angry/scared because I did request and paid for it in advance! They probably lost my request :( I wish I knew this a few weeks ago so I could have resolved this earlier.

Doesn't the transcript have to come from the school? Either way, I don't have an official copy, and it takes a week for my school (Waterloo) to process a transcript request. I'm so angry/scared because I did request and paid for it in advance! They probably lost my request :( I wish I knew this a few weeks ago so I could have resolved this earlier.

Does your school have the option of paying for rush service? Where they process your transcript within 1 business day and you can even have the option of paying for it to be couriered which would allow the transcript to arrive as soon as possible.

I suggest you go to the Waterloo registrar and demand them to rush service it asap as it is their fault

Also, make sure you read a medical ethics book like Doing Right by Philip Hebert. I encountered a couple ethics questions during my mmi and this book really helped me to structure my answer based on the key pillars of Autonomy, Justice and Beneficence. Also, make sure you argue for all players in the situation. For example, if there is a store manager, a shopper, and a worker involved in the situation, make sure you talk about what each of the players should do and what each player should be considering in the situation.

Heey guys I know theres less than a month left until we know if we're accepted or not but I just wanted some feedback on my chances of getting in. I'm in 2nd year and if I don't get in now I'm just not gonna bother applying again (just going to finish the last 2 years of my degree)

Pcat
Comp: 68:(
Best: Chem which was an 88

GPA: My school uses a letter grade system so I think its a 3.7-3.8.

MMI: Went really well! an inteviewer even talked to me at the end and told me that he/she really liked my responses in comparison to the rest of the people.:naughty:

Soo i'm really worried my pcat score is putting me down :scared: ..any thoughts?

Last edited:
I suggest you go to the Waterloo registrar and demand them to rush service it asap as it is their fault
Yep, I emailed them immediately after receiving the notification from U of T. It turns out that they made a mistake since I had requested it so early, so they sent it by courier today at no additional charge. I also emailed U of T so it's all good. :)

that's crazy! go to your school in person and fix it ASAP

Heey guys I know theres less than a month left until we know if we're accepted or not but I just wanted some feedback on my chances of getting in. I'm in 2nd year and if I don't get in now I'm just not gonna bother applying again (just going to finish the last 2 years of my degree)

Pcat

MMI: Went really well! an inteviewer even talked to me at the end and told me that he/she really liked my responses in comparison to the rest of the people.:naughty:

Soo i'm really worried my pcat score is putting me down :scared: ..any thoughts?

I think your chances are good! Your GPA and interview sound great and by looking at posts from past years, the interview seems to be the most important.

Oh my Pharmacy God Please accept me!

15 days to go!!!

Almost thereeeeeeeee.

Then you'll be just like me.

Refreshing for the whole day.

Until notices came out at lunch.

Dat mini heart attack.

Everyday that we get closer to June 21st, my heart beats a little bit faster.

Pcat

You've got a good chance. I wouldn't worry too much about the PCAT score. Your high GPA and solid interviewer will help you a lot !

What a surprise!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Invitations are out!!!

I'm accepted, very exciting! Good luck to everyone!!!!

um, is it just me or did they just release decisions? O_O EVERYONE CHECK YOUR EMAILS, I'm waitlisted in the top 50.

I got in!! wooh!!

I was about to have a heart attack when I got the email on my android. Checked my PC and was surprised to see I got the invite 10 days before the preliminary date!

If anyone has any questions about stats, etc., I'm more than willing to answer!

EDIT:

GPA: My school uses letter grades but I think the % average is definitely around high 70s-low 80s.
PCAT: 97 comp
Interview: I thought I did poorly on 2, below average on the other 2 and very good->great on the remaining 4. I articulated myself very well on the stations I did well in.

Last edited:
SO HAPPY! Got in!!! This is unreal

In case anybody wants to know my stats for future comparison:

GPA: 3.46
PCAT: 81 composite
Interview: Felt confident about 7 out of 10 stations

Last edited:
I got in! This is nuts! I was rejected from Waterloo earlier this morning so I was extremely bummed and now...yayy!!

My stats:

3.4 GPA
99th percentile PCAT
Felt good about 3/10 stations

Last edited:
I'm waitlisted in both Waterloo and Toronto... Do you guys know what the chances are if you are in the upper half? Thanks.

Unreal. Can't believe decisions came out early. I almost had a heart attack when I saw the email haha. I'm in though so it was good news !!!! Honestly I'm just amazed and overwhelmingly happy! For anyone concerned my stats are 3.82 GPA, 94 PCAT composite and I felt good about 8/10 MMI stations!

For those who got in, congratulations !

I'm waitlisted in both Waterloo and Toronto... Do you guys know what the chances are if you are in the upper half? Thanks.

Upper half chances are good. I've heard that anywhere from 10-20% of applicants offered admission do not take it so that's a lot of spots.

Omg can't believe decisions are out already wasn't mentally ready for the mental roller coaster today!!
Got accepted to both UT and Waterloo.
Stats:
Average: 85%, cGPA slightly lower at 3.7
PCAT: 98% composite
Interview: Felt good in about 8/10 stations. BSed hard through one station.
Feel free to PM me if you have any questions.

Last edited: