University of Toronto Pharmacy Class of 2017

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
INTERVIEW! March 23rd here, can't wait to meet you guys!

I don't know what PharmacyBoy is talking about, being a nurse isn't all the better. I'm actually in my 4th year of Nursing now and I don't really like it. The hours are horrible and you always have to suck up to the Dr's.. my true passion is in Pharmacy. My bigger brother is in 1T5 Pharmacy right now, he goes by KingOfDoctors on SDN and he tells me pharmacy is AWESOME. Probably not as many hotties and cuties as in nursing but I can deal with it.

Anyways my PCAT score was:
Verbal 68
Biology 84
RC 52
QA 88
Chemistry 95
Composite 86
Writing 3.5/3.5

KingOfDoctors tells me that MMI's are so easy, even dogs can do them. Well, the main point is.. relax and be yourself. See you guys on the 23rd!

Members don't see this ad.

you're right, thats why most of our class are either dogs or cats

March 24th baby!

VA 74
Bio 94
RC 37
QA 72
Chem 81
Writing 3.5

Composite 81
GPA: 3.4

Good luck to everyone who got an interview!

Members don't see this ad :)
Actually, I dont. I applied to Medicine, Dentistry and Pharmacy. I'm only good enough for pharmacy. This is the sad life that even though we study just as hard as any other profession, and even as intelligent, in the real world, the practices are much different and the respect and monies is not the same.

Is it wrong that one cannot achieve their first goal and have to settle for something less? What is it to be human? Well, to be human is hard, that is all I have to say.

Have you tried to reapply to med? or are your marks not good enough

I got May 11 interview, first time doing MMI. Any tips?

March 24th,
It will be my first MMI as well.
Where are you guys come from?
I would LOVE to practice before the actual interview xo
It would be nice if we can get together and give each other feedbacks.
We still have next weekend to meet together :p

I'm at UofT SG campus. As for meeting up I'll have to see. Midterm season again -_-''

Yeah, same here.
Midterms, assignments, lab reports, etc.
March is going to be so hectic. :scared:
I guess if all of you live so far away, it would be hard to meet up since we are also very busy students.

Do you guys think it would be a good idea to practice by looking at some MMI type questions?

I don't think it'd hurt. All my friends who got in said they just winged it =S.
From the outline they gave us, it looks like you just have to understand enough ethics and health care related controversies to be able to participate in discussions. Along with some good debate skills and thought organizations.

Grab beer(s), get a lil' buzz going on, walk into the MMI all smooth and ****. Guaranteed they'll love the relaxed, out-going person versus an uptight platitude-spewer.

Hey all,

Just started getting into Pharmacy forums and found this nice site. So, I made an account and just wanted to join in on the discussions. :D

Got my interview on May 11, and nervously anticipating it.

woo!

Good luck everyone on your upcoming MMIs! I'm going to be volunteering on the 23rd of March to help out so I'll probably see some of you there.

I personally wouldn't bother trying to study for the MMI but if it helps you reassure yourself and helps boost your confidence, then go for it.

All you need is a clear mind, good communication skills, and a whole lot of confidence.

Members don't see this ad :)
So alot of people got butt raped on molecular pharmacology. Professor gives 44 bonus percent on a test and class average is 45%. LOL! I dont know, but most people will say its the course and the prof, but who knows, could be because this class is just so stupid.

your posts are stressing me out and giving me headaches. i should just pop a benzo to chill out and sleep it off...

Do you really hate us that much, PharmacyBoy?

I dunno whats the story with you PharmacyBoy but buddy chill out a bit. Some people just wanna do pharmacy cause they enjoy it. No sense in trying to discourage everyone. Be nice is you said something helpful to people trying to get in.

Question for people who have participated in U of T's MMI before:

I was wondering what the norm is for prompt questions? Is it typical to talk uninterrupted for the entire 7 minutes or are prompt questions asked throughout the station?

Thanks for the help!

Question for people who have participated in U of T's MMI before:

I was wondering what the norm is for prompt questions? Is it typical to talk uninterrupted for the entire 7 minutes or are prompt questions asked throughout the station?

Thanks for the help!

I am a 1T5 so I can help you with that question. Typically you just keep talking and they will listen to you and take notes.. occasionally, if they aren't sure what you are saying, they might ask you to elaborate. But that usually you are the one doing most if not all of the talking.

I am a 1T5 so I can help you with that question. Typically you just keep talking and they will listen to you and take notes.. occasionally, if they aren't sure what you are saying, they might ask you to elaborate. But that usually you are the one doing most if not all of the talking.

Yeah I was also wondering about that. I looked at some practice prompts and I don't think any of my answers would be close to 7 minutes long, I would say 3 minutes max, is that bad?

Also, does anyone have any more information about the debate-style stations? I've never participated in any kind of formal debate so I'm pretty nervous about that.

I have my interview on May 11th :)

I think my biggest fear is being completely stumped on a question/scenario, and just sitting there in awkward silence for a good five minutes. And I'm not sure how I'll react to the acting stations. Overall, the whole process does sound like a very interesting experience though.

Good luck to everyone with March interviews!

Yeah I was also wondering about that. I looked at some practice prompts and I don't think any of my answers would be close to 7 minutes long, I would say 3 minutes max, is that bad?

Also, does anyone have any more information about the debate-style stations? I've never participated in any kind of formal debate so I'm pretty nervous about that.

Its fine if your answers are short. They usually have lots of follow-up questions to ask as soon as you stop talking. They will also ask you to clarify or further explain something if they want you to elaborate anything you've said.

International Student from South Africa, University of Johannesburg. Bachelor of Mine Surveying with a minor in Town and Regional Planning

PCAT 80 composite GPA: 3.7 but i got 40 composite in both reading comprehension and Verbal Ability. Do they look at extracuricculars? I was on the Varsity Net-ball team all 4 years and President of the Surveying Club.

Yo Yellowchocolate wherebouts from Africa are you from?

International Student from South Africa, University of Johannesburg. Bachelor of Mine Surveying with a minor in Town and Regional Planning

PCAT 80 composite GPA: 3.7 but i got 40 composite in both reading comprehension and Verbal Ability. Do they look at extracuricculars? I was on the Varsity Net-ball team all 4 years and President of the Surveying Club.

Yo Yellowchocolate wherebouts from Africa are you from?

Ayyy man. Whatchu sayin', you be trippin' balls son! JANE AND FINCH HOLLA BACK! I keep it REAL! I be workin' at No Frills over the summers. You don't understand the HUSTLE we got cuz y'all coming al the way from Africa. People be starving here! Baby mamas can't feed they child. Ain't nowhere the same. Respect.

No, UofT doesn't take extracurriculars into account. They only look at your PCAT scores, overall GPA (percentage), and the interview.

For anyone that comes from a University that only assigns letter grades, and is curious about how they convert it to a percentage, this is the conversion scale they use:

A+ = 90
A = 85
A- = 81
B+ = 78
B = 75
B- = 71
C+ = 68
C = 65
C- = 61
D+ = 58
D = 55
D- = 51
E = 45
F = 40
FX = 40

On the website, it says that offers of admission will be sent to the top 240 applicants, but does anybody know how many seats there are this year? Last year they sent out 270 acceptances and had an entering class of 240, so my guess would be 210 or 220, but if anyone knows for sure it'd be awesome if you could let me know :)

Oh my gosh. The memories.

Somehow I wandered back into these parts of the forum. I feel old.

Tips on the MMI?

Be calm. Be logical. Be succinct.

If you are asked to defend a view, pick one and discuss both the points that support AND counter your argument. Show that you are able to see things from multiple angles.

And just be yourself. Seriously, the interviewers won't bite.

Edited: Oh, and the number of seats will not change. It will still be 240. Why would the faculty consider decreasing the number of students which reduces their source of revenue?? That nice fancy glass building needs to be paid for and money doesn't grow on trees, I'm afraid.

Oh the MMIs.

It was a nerve-racking, but overall positive experience! Definitely stay calm, be yourself and say what you gotta say. No matter how much preparation (reading about health care or w/e), nerves can sometime take the greater part of you :oops: So definitely, be calm!

Also, take the time to meet some pharmacy students if you can (gorgeous 1T6s) and feel free to ask questions :) never know what will happen :cool:

Good luck to all!

for people who have written the PCAT in Toronto, how many other people were writing the test with you in the room? were there any empty seats left? I'm trying to get an idea of how quickly seats get booked since I'm requesting special accomodations and have to wait for Pearson Vue to get back to me. I'm worried that all the seats will be taken before I get a reply from them.

Ayyy man. Whatchu sayin', you be trippin' balls son! JANE AND FINCH HOLLA BACK! I keep it REAL! I be workin' at No Frills over the summers. You don't understand the HUSTLE we got cuz y'all coming al the way from Africa. People be starving here! Baby mamas can't feed they child. Ain't nowhere the same. Respect.

Love your positive attitude. Good luck on your interview! I have mine on the 24th. Sooooo nervous.... Anyone have a good website for health-care common sense and hot topics?

Hi Everyone! :)

Congratulations on receiving an interview!!

Mine is on March 24th at 1:45pm, so its coming up soon.
I like the idea of meeting up and practicing for the interview.
Would anyone else like to go in on that idea?

-OnionStench.

for people who have written the PCAT in Toronto, how many other people were writing the test with you in the room? were there any empty seats left? I'm trying to get an idea of how quickly seats get booked since I'm requesting special accomodations and have to wait for Pearson Vue to get back to me. I'm worried that all the seats will be taken before I get a reply from them.

I don't think anybody will really be able to conclusively tell you. There are other tests being written at the test centre, but from what I gathered only 2 or 3 others were doing the PCAT.

Hey Everyone !

First off, a big congratulations to everyone that got an interview, it's one step closer to our goal !

I ended up with an interview on March 23rd at 11:00 am. For general knowledge, I had a composite PCAT score of 94 and 3.81 GPA. I'm currently living in Montreal (I'm a Physiology major at McGill) and will be completing my BSc. this spring.

In terms of the MMI, we're super lucky here at McGill because we have tons of material on the interview and lots of practice opportunities. So, I thought it'd be beneficial to share a little bit of knowledge. U of T uses the MMI to rate our personalities, motivations, ethics and communication skills. As such, it's really hard to prepare for. Just be yourself, be clear, concise, accurate and intelligent and you'll ace it.

In terms of preparing for the ethics portion of the MMI, a lot of consultants and profs suggest reading "Doing Right by Phillip C. Hebert" (http://www.amazon.ca/Doing-Right-Practical-Trainees-Physicians/dp/0195411048). The book outlines a lot of basic ethical principles that are considered to be cornerstones in the field of health care. Also, in order to stay up to date with all the healthcare news, I would suggest skimming the headlines of the health section in the Globe and Mail and the New York Times.

Best of luck to everyone out there and hopefully we all get to see each other on campus in September !!

0:

You guys must be excitedddd. I was too until I got there and did the MMI. XD

Don't get intimidated by poker faces!

Is everyone planning on wearing a suit to the interview? I am planning on doing this, but wasn't sure if people tend to be more casual then this.

As for MMI prep, I have heard reading "Doing Right" is a good start. I think there are a bunch of practice questions online, because a few medical schools use this style of interviewing.

For people in the program, any pressing issues in pharmacy that we should read up on before attending the interview?

If there's anything that they'll most likely ask you, it's about the expanded scope of practice. Otherwise, nothing too pharmacy related as far as I remember.

Most people dressed up in suits for my interview last year, I just went with business casual. :p

I have seen candidates who wore anything from business casual to very formal. Unless you arrive in sweat pants and a t-shirt, I think you'll be safe. Just wear something respectable.

I am from the era before the MMI's, and even before the PCAT were required. This process can be daunting, but I do believe it is overall less ambiguous and produces better results in selecting suitable candidates.

March 24th,
It will be my first MMI as well.
Where are you guys come from?
I would LOVE to practice before the actual interview xo
It would be nice if we can get together and give each other feedbacks.
We still have next weekend to meet together :p

How about a practice interview over Skype?

I'd like to practice too. Set up a time and a place to meet together.

I'd like to practice too. Set up a time and a place to meet together.

Okay, I just want to know how many people are interested in this. From there we can decide on what time and where. I'm assuming most of us are from the GTA or Toronto area?

Please let me know quickly. Either here or PM. Thank you!

I'm in too

are we doing skype or actual meet up?

It depends on what you guys want.
I prefer Skype since I am busying with assignments but if you guys want an actual meet up we can arrange that. I can message you guys my Skype name. Also, Skype is more convenient for people who live far away.
As for meet ups; my interview is on March 24th, so ideally I would like to meet up either on this Saturday or Sunday 1-4pm in Toronto.

Please let me know. Thanks!

Does anyone know how they determined the interview dates? I was applicant #17, and my first choice was May 11 but I got March 23...so I doubt it's by first come first serve?