University of Toronto Pharmacy Class of 2017

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
They wont know about cutoff until end of February

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Anyone have any idea as to what the cutoff will be for the essay this year, seeing as the score was combined into one which is out of 6.

What do you mean by "combin[ing] into one which is out of 6"? Does the experimental writing portion get marked also? If so, I did not see it on my January 2013 score report.

Also, this is a general insecurity question, anyone know how many out-of-province student get accepted each year? (the 10% is the rumour but somewhere on their website also says no out-of-province student that are truly qualified are rejected because of their provincial residency status)

VA 91
Bio 92
Read 94
Quan 92
Chem 93
Composite 96
Writ 4.0
Gpa 3.6
4th year UoT

Members don't see this ad :)
For those of you that applied to both UofT and Waterloo, which program are you leaning towards (i.e., if you are accepted to both programs, which one would you pick)? And why?

Also, what do you guys think is a competitive PCAT score and GPA? I'm getting nervous about my application haha. The lack of posts is kind of analogous to an eerie silence. I have an 88 composite and an 87% GPA (which after this semester will probably drop down to 85%). Hopefully all of us on SDN will get in this year!

Last edited:
I think I'm leaning towards waterloo, especially if they will also grant a pharmD. Co-op+cheaper living expenses will probably make it worthwhile for me. As for competitive averages, id say an A- for both schools, although I'm not too sure about Waterloo.

Yeah I agree with the lack of posts.I think most people are just relying on threads from previous years to get their information and that's why everybody is quiet.

Guys I have a 3.2 GPA, 60 PCAT but I have no idea how to prepare for the interview!
Any advice? :)

Mark, circle, and highlight March 8th on your calendar folks. That's when we get our notices about interviews >_< I signed up for March interviews since Waterloo interviews are held in May and a week apart. I decided it was best for me to space them out so I can have enough time to prepare for both as they're different (UofT: MMI interview vs. Loo: standard interview questions).

@RedPharmer: Just wondering where you heard this announcement from UofT's pharmacy dean? I tried Googling information, but I'm finding no luck. Any clarification is much appreciated! This is AWESOME news for all those applying :)

I don't see anyone telling you guys this yet. But here is some good news!

"I am pleased to inform you that the University of Toronto application for approval of the entry-to-practice Doctor of Pharmacy (PharmD) program received approval by the government of Ontario on January 23, 2013. Students graduating in 2015 will be the first cohort under this new undergraduate PharmD program. The decision to seek government approval of a program change from a BScPharm to an entry-to-practice PharmD was made in 2009 and followed extensive consultation with pharmacists, pharmacy organizations, students and other healthcare disciplines."

^quoting Henry Mann

Gluck on your applications!

PS: Since they've combined the conventions of language and problem solving sections into one writing section...Does anyone know what the new PCAT standards are for those who wrote it on/after July 2012?

PSS: Does anyone know how long the new combined PharmD & Bachelor of Pharm program is? Still 4 years or is it now 5 years?

Any clarification is greatly appreciated :)

Last edited:
PS: Since they've combined the conventions of language and problem solving sections into one writing section...Does anyone know what the new PCAT standards are for those who wrote it on/after July 2012?

PSS: Does anyone know how long the new combined PharmD & Bachelor of Pharm program is? Still 4 years or is it now 5 years?

Any clarification is greatly appreciated :)
it's still a 4 year program :)

I think I'm leaning towards waterloo, especially if they will also grant a pharmD. Co-op+cheaper living expenses will probably make it worthwhile for me.

Ahh yes, that's definitely something I have to take into consideration as well.

For anyone that doesn't know, approximately 650 people applied this year for the program (I asked someone at the Admissions Office).

Members don't see this ad :)
Mark, circle, and highlight March 8th on your calendar folks. That's when we get our notices about interviews >_< I signed up for March interviews since Waterloo interviews are held in May and a week apart. I decided it was best for me to space them out so I can have enough time to prepare for both as they're different (UofT: MMI interview vs. Loo: standard interview questions).

Thanks for the heads up about interview notices! I chose May interviews, just because I have so much going on at the end of March* (tests, exam prep, assignments, etc) that I'd be really stressed out about having an interview during that time.

Last edited:
@Synergist: If you don't mind me asking which school had about 650 people apply? (I'm assuming TO, but just want to be certain). I think that's still pretty good odds for us considering some of those 650 people won't all meet admissions criteria (of either the PCAT or course/GPA) :) As for your interview selection date, that's logical to do and I'm sure it will vary between us all. I'm lucky my term this year isn't all that bad.

Best of luck to everyone!

Ahh yes, that's definitely something I have to take into consideration as well.

For anyone that doesn't know, approximately 650 people applied this year for the program (I asked someone at the Admissions Office).

Last edited:
@Synergist: If you don't mind me asking which school had about 650 people apply? (I'm assuming TO, but just want to be certain). I think that's still pretty good odds for us considering some of those 650 people won't all meet admissions criteria (of either the PCAT or course/GPA) :) As for your interview selection date, that's logical to do and I'm sure it will vary between us all. I'm lucky my term this year isn't all that bad.

Best of luck to everyone!

Yeah, I'm referring to UofT :) I'm not sure how many people applied to Waterloo's program. And yeah, I'm guessing around 500 people will be invited for interviews (since I read on last year's UofT forum that ~470 applicants got interviews back then).

I got in and regret going into pharmacy. its not the same as it used to be. Avg wage now in toronto is $35 and that is not good enough for the tuition paid.

A nurse makes $30-35 and we have to do at least 2 more years of school and fork out an extra $65000.

Lost time to live now and more debt is not good. Also, the big chains are taking over everything so its almost impossible to open an independent pharmacy. They just treat everyone like crap.

The people in 1T6 are cocky and there's a really ugly 1T5, her name is REMOVED and she wants to make friends with everyone.. so embarrassing.

Go into medicine if you want to have a more decision making role, unless you just want to be a bitch and dispense what doctors write with their ugly writing.

You sound a little bitter, maybe you should consider a career change. Also, try not to bash people online behind the mask of anonymity, it makes you seem like an idiot.

Last edited by a moderator:
@pharmacyboy
that's very inappropriate, if you regret the decision so much I think it'd be best if do not continue your studies in pharmacy
also please do not bring people's name into the discussion (especially when your claims are mean spirited)

@PharmacyBoy: That's really unnecessary and uncalled for in pointing out a student. She's happy and not harming anyone so kindly take your negativity elsewhere. I don't think you would appreciate it if someone blasted your name on a public forum.

As for regretting your decision with pharmacy...thank you for your input and insight, but I'm still quite optimistic about the field. I suggest you look for work in other areas besides TO and maybe an entirely different career/profession as you don't seem passionate nor happy about pharmacy. The field of nursing has changed immensely, which is why they're getting paid practically equivalent salaries, but so is the field of pharmacy. I've been working at a pharmacy for over 4 years and pharmacists are becoming more than a "bitch" that "dispenses". Good luck with whatever you end up deciding to do :thumbup:

I got in and regret going into pharmacy. its not the same as it used to be. Avg wage now in toronto is $35 and that is not good enough for the tuition paid.

A nurse makes $30-35 and we have to do at least 2 more years of school and fork out an extra $65000.

Lost time to live now and more debt is not good. Also, the big chains are taking over everything so its almost impossible to open an independent pharmacy. They just treat everyone like crap.

The people in 1T6 are cocky and there's a really ugly 1T5, her name is REMOVED and she wants to make friends with everyone.. so embarrassing.

Go into medicine if you want to have a more decision making role, unless you just want to be a bitch and dispense what doctors write with their ugly writing.

@PharmacyBoy

I, too, regret your decision to go into pharmacy. Honestly, our faculty does not need someone like you, let alone our profession. Singling out an individual like that in a public forum is distasteful and speaks volumes about your character.

Pharmacy is an expanding profession; we are evolving our scope of practice. While that means it is not 'the same' as before, it paves opportunities to be more than just drug dispensers. Personally, I think Yin is a fantastic example of how to make it in this field. There is nothing wrong with 'making friends with everybody;' it's called 'networking.' If you're so dissatisfied with the job prospects, then make yourself current. Become a pharmacist for the RIGHT reasons. Not because you heard that you could get a high salary with minimal effort.

wow I feel sorry for you. You lied on your MMI interviews and you are lying to yourself now. How can someone like you cheat his way into professional school? You don't deserve to be a healthcare professional. You should really switch programs. You don't like pharmacy and pharmacy certainly doesn't want someone like YOU.

Also, change your username. how can a despicable, pathetic excuse of a person call himself "PharmacyBoy"? You are garbage.

@RedPharmer: Just wondering where you heard this announcement from UofT's pharmacy dean? I tried Googling information, but I'm finding no luck. Any clarification is much appreciated! This is AWESOME news for all those applying :)

OP delivers. Here!

http://www.pharmacy.utoronto.ca/home-banner/etp-pharmd-01-24-2013

wow that was really rude and completely uncalled for. that is disgusting behaviour and with that attitude, you will not go far in your future career as a pharmacist

Last edited:

Man I'm gonna be perfectly honest with you. This isn't me hating on you or anything, it's honest advice:

Drop out. Seriously.

I'm not kidding. Drop out of the program. Cut your losses. Move on to greener pastures.

Why? Because if this is your honest opinion about the profession and your classmates, it's only downhill from here. You're not gonna find more friends with that attitude, and chances are you're not gonna be much more than a dispenser anyway so you'll end up doing something you hate.

Do it for yourself. Do it for your peers. Do it for the people (seriously, there's nothing worse than a Health Care Provider who hates their job, regardless of whether they're a Pharmacist, Physician, Dentist, etc).

Back on track.

Dunno if you future 1T7s received your interview invites yet, but if you're worried about your chances of getting an interview:

Composite 96 (roughly 90+ for all categories with 99th in chemistry to pull me up), with 3/3 for essay.
GPA ~3.3
Was in middle of 4th year at UTSG when I applied

Got an interview invite no problem.

EDIT: 1T6 here, so my PCAT and grades were good enough to get into the new curriculum.

Back on track.

Dunno if you future 1T7s received your interview invites yet, but if you're worried about your chances of getting an interview:

Composite 96 (roughly 90+ for all categories with 99th in chemistry to pull me up), with 3/3 for essay.
GPA ~3.3
Was in middle of 4th year at UTSG when I applied

Got an interview invite no problem.

EDIT: 1T6 here, so my PCAT and grades were good enough to get into the new curriculum.

SUP! YO BOY COMING AT YA STRAIGHT OUTTA SENECA! 2nd year student just doing my Bachelor of Therapeutic Recreation. I took some prerequisites for pharm over the summer at Ryerson and now I'm ready to rock that interview once I get that email. I took that PCAT so I can finally be real a U student.

GPA: 3.15
Composite: 71+ YEEE SON
VA 75
Bio 74
Read 87
Quan 67
Chem 65
Composite 71
Writ 5.0

Can't wait to finally be a Pharm Chem Major! We MAJOR!

Lets not encourage PharmacyBoy to drop out, it's only his decision to make and not ours
After few years of studying, dropping out is ton of money lost and time of course
I also think that ppl change over time and the way we see world

so lets please critique him, but maturely

to PharmacyBoy

1) I do have to admit that wages dropped and its not appealing, but if you work after you get your bachelor in chem,bio or biochem you will make 20$/hr max and 35$/hr or more beats it

2) regarding the girl that you talked about....the thing is that it could be her personality that makes try to be liked by everyone. She may not be faking it, just to build connections.

3)Don't hide behind computer and tell things in person if you don't like something, like a man should

And good luck to all the 1T7 applying to Pharmacy at UofT. It's going to be super competitive because of the new and approved PharmD program. So stand out, and study your mother ****en ass off. Good luck.

PharmacyBoy

SUP! YO BOY COMING AT YA STRAIGHT OUTTA SENECA! 2nd year student just doing my Bachelor of Therapeutic Recreation. I took some prerequisites for pharm over the summer at Ryerson and now I'm ready to rock that interview once I get that email. I took that PCAT so I can finally be real a U student.

VA 75
Bio 74
Read 87
Quan 67
Chem 65
Composite 71
Writ 5.0

I'm feelin this guy's positive attitude :thumbup:

Anyone know if the interview offers will show up right at midnight tonight? :S

Probably not. XD

Around afternoon-ish I'd say?

VA 75
Bio 74
Read 87
Quan 67
Chem 65
Composite 71
Writ 5.0

omG LOVE your enthusiasm!!!!!! :love::thumbup::D:rolleyes:

omG LOVE your enthusiasm!!!!!! :love::thumbup::D:rolleyes:

Ay gurl. Love dat attitude too! Whatchu saying? What school do u go to? Maybe I'll even holla atchu after those interviews are released. Just a little bit aiiight...

You too Jess. Much love. See you ladies at the interviews.

Last edited:
Invites are out people! I got my first choice :D.

Can't wait for it.....love challenge

Last edited:
OMG INTERVIEW HOLLLLLAAAA , YellowChocolate when is your interview?

OMG INTERVIEW HOLLLLLAAAA , YellowChocolate when is your interview?
Awww gurl let's not get too far ahead of ourselves baby. I got an interview comin' right up on March 23rd. See u then? Meet for coffee right after?

Actually, I dont. I applied to Medicine, Dentistry and Pharmacy. I'm only good enough for pharmacy. This is the sad life that even though we study just as hard as any other profession, and even as intelligent, in the real world, the practices are much different and the respect and monies is not the same.

Is it wrong that one cannot achieve their first goal and have to settle for something less? What is it to be human? Well, to be human is hard, that is all I have to say.

was all of the interview invites given out today or is there still more coming?

was all of the interview invites given out today or is there still more coming?

Did you log onto the online application? I think all of the decisions are there. (Go to notifications). If it doesn't say anything, then maybe e-mail them and ask?

I got an invite just curious about a friend who didn't see anything