University of the Incarnate Word Feik School of Pharmacy Fall 2009

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
That's the main reason why I didn't apply to UIW! I really wanted to apply there, but I really don't want to retake physics again. I think they do to weed a number of future applicants.

Yea it seems like a weed out method; I'm sure it's not; I'm just thinking they want good, well-qualified applicants with a solid academic background to help give credibility to their still new program. And I don't intend for that statement to mean they don't have credibility otherwise..just for the recored. I've read a little about what the Dean has done for starting other programs as well. She knows what she's doing.

Members don't see this ad.

I just got my interview invite email today, but the physics classes that I've taken is trig based. Are you sure that UIW requires calc based?

Yes, it most definitely is calculus based. If you call up Liz Hernandez, she can help you out with what classes you might be missing. I think I sent her an unofficial transcript in an attachment through e-mail and she was able to send me back a Microsoft Word table showing the required UIW courses and the equivalent courses at the University I got my degree at. The classes I was still lacking were highlighted so I knew exactly what I needed. Just in case you're wondering if you will be eligible to start there in the fall.

I just got my invitation today too! =D
When is everyone's interview?

I'm from California, any suggestions on transportation?

Members don't see this ad :)
Yay! I received my first interview!! I'm not hopeless after all!! :p My interview is next weekend. EeekS! :eek: but I'm excited nevertheless! Does anyone know what their critical thinking exam consist of?

congrats guys! good luck! i got my interview too! my interview is scheduled for march 6th. when are your interview dates???

i'm so nervous!

-----------
houston - still waiting
incarnate word - interview march 6th :xf:
oklahoma - still waiting
texas a&m - interview march 19 :xf:
texas tech - still in application process

Heyy ...i got an interview for UIW yesterday, i have taken physics thats trig based...should i confirm with them ...or just go ahead with the interview anyway?
also, i was wondering if anyone knew what kind of exam they have and how to prepare for it?

What is this exam that some of you are talking about? Do you mean the writing portion?

For the current students, what is the structure of the interview like? Thank you.

anyone know of cheap hotels around the campus? thanks!

anyone know of cheap hotels around the campus? thanks!

You can try using Priceline.com
My bf used that last year in Austin to book a last minute hotel stay for his parents. They give you the option to "name your price." His parents got to stay at the Marriott Hotel a block away from 6th street for just about $40/night

Oh and I'm scheduled for March 6 as well! :) See you there, klaochh!!

I just got my interview invite email today, but the physics classes that I've taken is trig based. Are you sure that UIW requires calc based?

yes.

Yes, it most definitely is calculus based. If you call up Liz Hernandez, she can help you out with what classes you might be missing. I think I sent her an unofficial transcript in an attachment through e-mail and she was able to send me back a Microsoft Word table showing the required UIW courses and the equivalent courses at the University I got my degree at. The classes I was still lacking were highlighted so I knew exactly what I needed. Just in case you're wondering if you will be eligible to start there in the fall.

Thanks, my interview invite was for March 6th - this friday, wow...short notice! I've not decided if I'm going or not, but will check on that prereq before making a choice. Based on their web site, which only says "physics with lab" I had assumed the classes I had already taken met the requirement. Odd that I would even get an invite if the calculus level physics is such a big deal...?

http://www.uiw.edu/pharmacy/PDGeneralInformation.html

I wonder if it makes a difference that I'll already have completed an undergrad degree prior to matriculation, or that I have more than just one semester of physics? I'll let you all know what they say!

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks, my interview invite was for March 6th - this friday, wow...short notice! I've not decided if I'm going or not, but will check on that prereq before making a choice. Based on their web site, which only says "physics with lab" I had assumed the classes I had already taken met the requirement. Odd that I would even get an invite if the calculus level physics is such a big deal...?

I wonder if it makes a difference that I'll already have completed an undergrad degree prior to matriculation, or that I have more than just one semester of physics? I'll let you all know what they say!

You would hope that with the committee would give you something or let you know of what pre-reqs you were lacking since it seems a large group of people don't know about this particular one.

wow, it's about time there is some action going on in this room.

ok, here's the low down you guys that are coming to school this friday.

there is a writing assignment first, then you will either interview or the exam, depending on your interview timing.

if you have any questions, please let me know. you can post it on here, or send me a IM, incase you dont want it broadcasted.

I am really excited for all of you that will have a chance to come see our school, and I'll see you guys on friday!

oh, and the question about the calc based physics, its true. that is what they want. and about the classes you havent taken yet, they will give you a list of what you are missing when you get here.

If I haven't gotten a invitation from UIW by now, does that mean I have been rejected?

not at all, this is the first round names they worked out. dont worry yet, too early.

What is this exam that some of you are talking about? Do you mean the writing portion?

For the current students, what is the structure of the interview like? Thank you.

Not the writing portion. they wrote in the email that i am supposed to take a critical thinking exam that would be available in the computer lab. it lasts for about 30-40 mins...i think

yeah, see you there lktn! good luck to you and to all!

man, i am so nervous hearing about the writing portion and the critical thinking exam for the interview. there is such little time to prepare along with my lab report and 2 exams occurring this week. AHHHH!

yeah, see you there lktn! good luck to you and to all!

man, i am so nervous hearing about the writing portion and the critical thinking exam for the interview. there is such little time to prepare along with my lab report and 2 exams occurring this week. AHHHH!

Dont be so nervous about this part of the interview day. there's nothing you can do to prepare for those two parts. On the writing, most likely it is some ethical issue where you might have to pick a stance or propose a solution, so just pick a side and go with it. They just want to be able to evaluate your written communication skills. Similar to the PCAT writing. So you cant prepare for any particular prompt. And the critical thinking exam you won't be able to prepare for either, just answer as best you can.

It's terrible that they don't highlight the requirement more visibly. The link below takes you to pre-req equivalency webpage for UIW that shows what courses match up w/ individual schools. I noticed this requirement when I checked out my school.

http://www.uiw.edu/pharmacy/ppequivalencies.html

I think we have till the end of summer to meet all the pre-reqs.

It's terrible that they don't highlight the requirement more visibly. The link below takes you to pre-req equivalency webpage for UIW that shows what courses match up w/ individual schools. I noticed this requirement when I checked out my school.

http://www.uiw.edu/pharmacy/ppequivalencies.html

I think we have till the end of summer to meet all the pre-reqs.

Yes you do. And from what they've told me, finishing up the pre-reqs at a community college is okay too. Alot of schools like the advanced science courses to be from university, so I would assume everything other than that from a CC is fine. Just FYI in case there are some of you that are finding out that you are missing something. Better to spend as little as possible to fulfill this requirement, i.e. jump through this hoop. :D

@ Rxdoctor

do u know how many interview dates UIW have?

...and congrats to all u guys who will be interviewing on march 6th :)

You can try using Priceline.com
My bf used that last year in Austin to book a last minute hotel stay for his parents. They give you the option to "name your price." His parents got to stay at the Marriott Hotel a block away from 6th street for just about $40/night

thanks lktn! i was able to find a hotel 8 min away from the campus. I'll be there mar. 6th as well, hope to meet ya!

Hey guys!

Congratulations on the interview invites!

I was just wondering if any current pharmacy students at Feik School of Pharmacy know what happens if I had to reschedule the date for the interview?

I mean do they push me to the next round of interviews or do I just not get an interview?

alphaRX -- feb 27 (UIW students), march 6, march 20, march 27, and april 3.

fengye920 -- if there is a conflict then they will accomodate to give you another date (one of the above)

summer classes at CC is ok

Dont be so nervous about this part of the interview day. there's nothing you can do to prepare for those two parts. On the writing, most likely it is some ethical issue where you might have to pick a stance or propose a solution, so just pick a side and go with it. They just want to be able to evaluate your written communication skills. Similar to the PCAT writing. So you cant prepare for any particular prompt. And the critical thinking exam you won't be able to prepare for either, just answer as best you can.

Thanks Texas PharmDoc! Your words are comforting. My interview is in 2 days :scared: I hope I do well for this is my 1st interview :xf:

Thanks Texas PharmDoc! Your words are comforting. My interview is in 2 days :scared: I hope I do well for this is my 1st interview :xf:

Good Luck klaochh :luck: Dont be nervous...go out there and be yourself..:)

alphaRX -- feb 27 (UIW students), march 6, march 20, march 27, and april 3.

fengye920 -- if there is a conflict then they will accomodate to give you another date (one of the above)

summer classes at CC is ok

Thank you for answering my question RXdoctor! yeah, it sort of freaked me out when the lady said they were going to "re-evaluate" me and decide if I can get interviewed with the next batch, but I ended up calling the advisor and she said that she would move me to the next interview date which was nice :)

No problem at all :D If you have any other questions about anything ask away or pm me. Good luck tomorrow! You've done everything you can up to this point so just relax as much as you can.

Does anyone know how many people will be interviewing us? Is it one faculty member and a student or something? I am interviewing on March 27. Also, does anyone know any good restaurants around there? I like to eat =).

For starters, Good Luck to all those interviewing tomorrow! relax and enjoy your experience.

MeowMeow,
There should be about 65 other interviewing with you guys on average. There is alot of good food around here, what kind are you looking for?

I just received an interview invite for March 20th or 27th.

I'm a little on the fence on this one. I just don't know if I want to take the cal based physics this summer. It is the only class holding me up.

I guess I'll think about it for a little while.

For starters, Good Luck to all those interviewing tomorrow! relax and enjoy your experience.

MeowMeow,
There should be about 65 other interviewing with you guys on average. There is alot of good food around here, what kind are you looking for?

Hi, what I meant was.. who is going to interview ME? Hehehe. Does San Antonio have a specialty kind of food? Like Philly has philly cheese steak.. etc. Im open to anything really. I just want to experience... San Antonio hahaha.

Hi, what I meant was.. who is going to interview ME? Hehehe. Does San Antonio have a specialty kind of food? Like Philly has philly cheese steak.. etc. Im open to anything really. I just want to experience... San Antonio hahaha.

Genuine TexMex!!!

Two people interviewing you.

Mexican food is really good here, alot of hometown spots that are good.

where are you coming from?

I just recieved an E-mail today for Interview from UIW, can someone tell me how I can prepare for interview?

Does it make any different which day I choose March 20th or 27th?!

I just received an interview invite for March 20th or 27th.

I'm a little on the fence on this one. I just don't know if I want to take the cal based physics this summer. It is the only class holding me up.

I guess I'll think about it for a little while.

I went ahead and declined my interview. It wasn't fair just to hold it up; I want someone to have it.

PR1383

Here is something I found online:

Interviews

• Pharmacy school interviews are required of applicants by most pharmacy colleges when the admissions committee determines that the applicant is competitive for admission. The interview facilitates assessment of the applicant and affords the applicant a chance to tour the campus, meet with faculty and currently enrolled students, and learn about financial aid and housing.
  • This gives an opportunity for applicant to demonstrate communication ability, and motivation to become pharmacist.
  • Focus on this in your narrative or autobiography, but let them know what motivates you to be a pharmacist. You should have more than one or two reasons and you should place these in priority as you discuss them.
  • Be certain to retain copies of all school specific narratives and familiarize yourself with what you wrote before you interview
  • Take advantage of all seminars, workshops and/or videotapes dealing with the application and interview process. Be relaxed, be yourself, but be prepared. You need to have a sound understanding of the interview process. This is a first impression exercise, and you need to come across as calm, self-confident, emotionally stable, bright, mature, and disciplined

I went ahead and declined my interview. It wasn't fair just to hold it up; I want someone to have it.

I agree. That's why I will consider it for a few more days and not wait until the 16th to respond as outlined in the email.

I'm in NC right now for my Wingate interview, so I kick it around during the first few days of spring break.

I'll be coming from Southern Cali! Whats a taqueria...? A taco shop? I love mexican food....

Whats the weather like in march??

Thanks Texas PharmDoc and alphaRx! I am currently practicing in the motel. I should be going to bed but I feel I must review a couple of things. Good luck to all tomorrow! :xf:

Thanks Texas PharmDoc and alphaRx! I am currently practicing in the motel. I should be going to bed but I feel I must review a couple of things. Good luck to all tomorrow! :xf:

Get some sleep!! lol

You are as prepared as you're gonna be. Really, relaxing will help tremendously.

I'll be coming from Southern Cali! Whats a taqueria...? A taco shop? I love mexican food....

Whats the weather like in march??

A tacqueria is a taco shop. They're pretty good if you're in the west or south side of town. And lately the weather is decent in the morning. It gets pretty warm in the afternoon.

Good luck tomorrow to everyone whose interviewing...now back to my studies

I received an interview invitation tonight!!!!! I'm interviewing on the 27th! I am so excited! :laugh:
Does anyone know how many applicants they interview? Is it around 200?

Yes it MUST be calculas based (that was the requirement last year). I would strongly suggest if you haven't already to make sure you register for this class early if you're planning to take it for summer school. If you have any questions speak with the admission office. The counselors are fantastic and are more than happy to answer any questions you may have.

I received an interview invitation tonight!!!!! I'm interviewing on the 27th! I am so excited! :laugh:
Does anyone know how many applicants they interview? Is it around 200?

last year approximately 100 students were interviewed every week.