University of Texas CoP Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Yeah I went to check my mail expecting a rejection letter but I didn't see one. I live in Austin too so I don't know what's the deal.

Was expecting to have my fate sealed when I got home but nothing either. Totally confused, I live in Dallas so mail should have gotten to me by now -___-

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
I got mine today as well. Austin.

Interesting that Dr. Wilcox told me I was on the waitlist though.

I got mine today as well. Austin.

Interesting that Dr. Wilcox told me I was on the waitlist though.

I know, I kind of got my hopes up when he said I was recommended to be placed on the waitlist.

I got my rejection letter today. Sad. I also got my acceptance package from the school I will be going to today, so, onward... Good luck to everyone next year, and for those applying again for the following year, Good Luck!

got the letter today :/ denied as well...for the people that got denied, do you think you did well on the interview? I don't think my interview went well and i'm starting to think that it decided whether i got in or not...

Has anyone from the second group received their acceptance packet yet. Mid April seems so far away.

got the letter today :/ denied as well...for the people that got denied, do you think you did well on the interview? I don't think my interview went well and i'm starting to think that it decided whether i got in or not...

I don't think my interview went well either. They kept grilling me on leadership questions.

Members don't see this ad :)
got my rejection letter today =( good luck to those accepted into UT's C/O 2016!! And to those reapplying/going elsewhere good luck on all your endeavors!

I will unfortunately also be joining the ranks of the denied. I guess I'll figure out what I can fix about my app and try again in a few months for next year. Heads high guys and gals!
Congrats to everyone who got in, hopefully I'll be seeing you all next year!

I got my rejection letter today. Sad. I also got my acceptance package from the school I will be going to today, so, onward... Good luck to everyone next year, and for those applying again for the following year, Good Luck!
I also got my letter a few days ago. Gotta move forward though!
Also congrats on getting accepted to other schools!
Truthfully, I felt like my interview went fairly well. I actually answered some questions in a less favorable light for myself, but I was honest. I guess I'll find out when I review my application with Dr. Wilcox in June.
My stats:
GPA -- 3.7
Pcat -- 77%
Only shadowing pharmacist experience
I'm a 2nd year undergrad applicant

Good luck and congrats to those who got accepted!

Last edited:
I will unfortunately also be joining the ranks of the denied. I guess I'll figure out what I can fix about my app and try again in a few months for next year. Heads high guys and gals!
Congrats to everyone who got in, hopefully I'll be seeing you all next year!

Sorry that you didn't get accepted. But no worries, just apply again next year.

I didn't get accepted to UT the three times I applied. I received an interview invite each time but could never get that acceptance. And to be honest, I was extremely disappointed last year that I didn't get in. I had even spoke to Dr. Wilcox and he told me I had strong interviews each time but to raise my GPA, which I did. So not sure what else I could have done. But thankfully, I had acceptances from TX Tech & TX A&M to choose from last year. What was strange to me was that I felt that my UT interview was my best and strongest interview when compared to my Tech & A&M interviews. I felt Tech was my worst and A&M was my second best. Oh well, I am currently at A&M and I love it.:)

By the way, did you not apply to any other school? Seems like a lot of people on this UT forum only applied to UT.

I didn't get accepted to UT the three times I applied. I received an interview invite each time but could never get that acceptance. And to be honest, I was extremely disappointed last year that I didn't get in. I had even spoke to Dr. Wilcox and he told me I had strong interviews each time but to raise my GPA, which I did. So not sure what else I could have done. But thankfully, I had acceptances from TX Tech & TX A&M to choose from last year. What was strange to me was that I felt that my UT interview was my best and strongest interview when compared to my Tech & A&M interviews. I felt Tech was my worst and A&M was my second best. Oh well, I am currently at A&M and I love it.:)

By the way, did you not apply to any other school? Seems like a lot of people on this UT forum only applied to UT.

I only applied to UT this year. The main reason being that my wife works for walgreens as a store manager. She has worked very hard and is on a fast track up the ladder. I strongly don't want to move away from my wife, and also don't want to make her move away with me and abandon the work she has put into getting where she is. I know that I could end up somewhere else for p4, but I'd rather a year of living apart than 4.
I know my GPA is my real Achilles' heal, but I can only raise it so much more with one semester left. I'll be meeting with Dr. Wilcox to discuss what else I can do, and next year I'll have to expand myself to U of H Tech and A&M, but I'm still going to gun for UT as hard as I can.

Next year I'll have hopefully published my research, a slightly higher GPA, an additional year of work experience, more volunteer work, My BS degree, an interview without a sleeping interviewer, and I won't wait until the last day to build my resume and submit my application.
I'll also be applying alongside several other people I know personally from work and school, so there's that too.
I know several practicing pharmacists who went to UT, but did not get in their first time. I've even talked with two classmates who both got in this year who got denied last year. So it sucks, but I'm not giving up just yet. :)

I only applied to UT this year. The main reason being that my wife works for walgreens as a store manager. She has worked very hard and is on a fast track up the ladder. I strongly don't want to move away from my wife, and also don't want to make her move away with me and abandon the work she has put into getting where she is. I know that I could end up somewhere else for p4, but I'd rather a year of living apart than 4.
I know my GPA is my real Achilles' heal, but I can only raise it so much more with one semester left. I'll be meeting with Dr. Wilcox to discuss what else I can do, and next year I'll have to expand myself to U of H Tech and A&M, but I'm still going to gun for UT as hard as I can.

Next year I'll have hopefully published my research, a slightly higher GPA, an additional year of work experience, more volunteer work, My BS degree, an interview without a sleeping interviewer, and I won't wait until the last day to build my resume and submit my application.
I'll also be applying alongside several other people I know personally from work and school, so there's that too.
I know several practicing pharmacists who went to UT, but did not get in their first time. I've even talked with two classmates who both got in this year who got denied last year. So it sucks, but I'm not giving up just yet. :)

I also went to school at UT as an undergrad and was hoping I would get a chance to go back to Austin. However, I am in the same boat as you with my GPA not being as competitive as other candidates. I was even surprised that I received an interview offer. My interview went extremely well, in my own opinion, but I think my overall application could have used more work. I would like to apply again but I applied to several schools across the nation and got accepted into a relatively new school in Denver. I believe that moving away from Texas will help me grow as an individual, and as a future pharmacist, but it is a serious bummer that I did not get into my first choice school. Those who are looking to reapply or are just applying to pharmacy school, just go for it. This is my first round of applying to any pharmacy schools and it was extremely daunting at first. Just maintain that mentality that you belong here and I'm sure you will get in to wherever you apply. Just remember that UT is EXTREMELY competitive and you definitely have to separate yourself in one way or another. All in all, we're in this together and I wish you guys the best!

I also went to school at UT as an undergrad and was hoping I would get a chance to go back to Austin. However, I am in the same boat as you with my GPA not being as competitive as other candidates. I was even surprised that I received an interview offer. My interview went extremely well, in my own opinion, but I think my overall application could have used more work. I would like to apply again but I applied to several schools across the nation and got accepted into a relatively new school in Denver. I believe that moving away from Texas will help me grow as an individual, and as a future pharmacist, but it is a serious bummer that I did not get into my first choice school. Those who are looking to reapply or are just applying to pharmacy school, just go for it. This is my first round of applying to any pharmacy schools and it was extremely daunting at first. Just maintain that mentality that you belong here and I'm sure you will get in to wherever you apply. Just remember that UT is EXTREMELY competitive and you definitely have to separate yourself in one way or another. All in all, we're in this together and I wish you guys the best!

And the same to you! :)

Thanks for those uplifting words. Best wishes to you as well!

I also got my letter a few days ago. Gotta move forward though!
Also congrats on getting accepted to other schools!
Truthfully, I felt like my interview went fairly well. I actually answered some questions in a less favorable light for myself, but I was honest. I guess I'll find out when I review my application with Dr. Wilcox in June.
My stats:
GPA -- 3.7
Pcat -- 77%
Only shadowing pharmacist experience
I'm a 2nd year undergrad applicant

Good luck and congrats to those who got accepted!

Did you apply anywhere else? Your stats actually look pretty good although your pharmacy experience may be a little bit limited. I know UT is looking for more people with B.S. degrees and have good communication skills. Look at the statistics from the past 3 years. Went from 30% to almost 70% of entering class with a minimum of a bachelor's degree.

I just wanted to provide some answers for those curious about WL emails. I received my email 3/29 and confirmed my spot as #3 the next day.

I emailed Ann Spencer trying to clarify a few things, because it was my understanding that the applicants offered admissions in the 2nd round were to decide and notify the school by 3/30. I thought maybe some spots would open up after that.
She replied: "There are no vacancies in the Fall 2012 class after the second round of acceptances.
If and when someone moves from the Wait List into the class, you will be notified that you have moved to the #2 position on the Wait List.
Even if there is no movement on the Wait List, I will e-mail everyone on the List every 2-3 weeks just to check in with you."

She also told me: "We have no way of predicting when, or if, a place in the class beginning this fall will open for you. Over the past few years we have averaged accepting 19 people from the Wait List, so I would say that you have a very good chance of being accepted, but I can not say for sure. Accepted students drop out of the program throughout the spring and summer."

I hope this provides some answers to a few of you. Good luck to everyone! I certainly understand it's a stressful time, but it will soon pass. :)

Last edited:

I can completely understand your predicament. I know several pharmacy students who are married and don't currently live with their spouse. And even one student who has her husband and child in Houston as she attends A&M. I know it must be really difficult for them. Yet, it is a choice each couple must make for themselves.

Personally, I couldn't leave my family back home. When I was accepted last year many people asked me if my husband and kids would stay behind while I attended pharmacy school. I discussed it with my husband but he didn't want me to go alone. So we packed up our stuff from our 3 bedroom house and moved into a 2 bedroom apartment. Luckily, my kids are still little so the move has not been hard on them.

I do wish you luck in applying next year and don't give up! :luck:

Hey guys, I'm applying for c/o 2017 and I have a question about math credit. I have credit for M 408K via AP credit here at UT and I was wondering if that will count towards my calculus credit? Does UT COP focus on pre-pharm or overall GPA more? I have a good pre-pharm GPA but my overall GPA is slightly hovering the average acceptance GPA?Also, how important is pharmacy experience in admissions? I'm working in a UT COP lab and I'm just trying to figure out whether I should even bother applying if I don't have pharmacy tech/pharmacy related experience.

Hey guys, I'm applying for c/o 2017 and I have a question about math credit. I have credit for M 408K via AP credit here at UT and I was wondering if that will count towards my calculus credit? Does UT COP focus on pre-pharm or overall GPA more? I have a good pre-pharm GPA but my overall GPA is slightly hovering the average acceptance GPA?Also, how important is pharmacy experience in admissions? I'm working in a UT COP lab and I'm just trying to figure out whether I should even bother applying if I don't have pharmacy tech/pharmacy related experience.

I think you may have to take M408 L to get credit, but I would definitely check with an advisor. I'm not sure if UT focuses on overall GPA or not, because my GPA (both pre pharm and overall) is not impressive and I still got in. The thing I really appreciate about the admission process at UT is that they look at you as a whole. You definitely don't need pharmacy experience, but it really helps. For example, my pharmacy experience really impressed my interviewer which may be one of the main reasons I got in. Also, my LORs from pharmacists helped me a lot as well. You should definitely apply next year, it wouldn't hurt. Even if you're not accepted next year, you would at least have the experience to do better the next year. Good luck with everything :), hope this helped.

I have no idea about the GPA thing but I think you need K&L or just C

I can completely understand your predicament. I know several pharmacy students who are married and don't currently live with their spouse. And even one student who has her husband and child in Houston as she attends A&M. I know it must be really difficult for them. Yet, it is a choice each couple must make for themselves.

Personally, I couldn't leave my family back home. When I was accepted last year many people asked me if my husband and kids would stay behind while I attended pharmacy school. I discussed it with my husband but he didn't want me to go alone. So we packed up our stuff from our 3 bedroom house and moved into a 2 bedroom apartment. Luckily, my kids are still little so the move has not been hard on them.

I do wish you luck in applying next year and don't give up! :luck:

I know we can manage it, it just keeps things more comfortable and less complicated if I don't have to move away.
But NO kids until I'm out and she has her MBA. That's our personal strategy. Keeps things slightly simpler. :p

Interesting story. I did have a med school friend of mine tell me that sometimes adcoms have this vision of how they want their applicants to be and if you don't fit it then you will never get in no matter what you do. After reading your story and given that this was my second rejection, I do have to wonder if I'm that person that will never get in. UH told me flat out that I will never be a pharmacist (I thought at least not from their school) but I have not gotten that straight forward answer from UT. I wish UT would be more forward in their advice.

I'm thinking of applying again but I'm not going to put all my eggs in one basket either (like I did this time). But I'm also thinking of just making the drugs and having pharmacists dispense it for me instead. Its hard trying to figure out what you want to do with the rest of your life.

Did you apply anywhere else? Your stats actually look pretty good although your pharmacy experience may be a little bit limited. I know UT is looking for more people with B.S. degrees and have good communication skills. Look at the statistics from the past 3 years. Went from 30% to almost 70% of entering class with a minimum of a bachelor's degree.
I was originally planning to apply to several schools in Texas, but I was missing rec letters from professors for the other schools that I decided to hold off.

My GPA has been slipping getting into these upper level classes so I wanted to give it a shot and apply when my GPA was higher haha. No regrets. My main goal for next round of applications is to get more experience and improve my PCAT because my GPA doesn't seem to be moving up. :( But you do what you can.

Yeah and UT has a higher ratio of admitted with BS now than before.

I love seeing stats because it gives me hope and I like that they don't immediately throw your application away if you have a low GPA. So if you guys got admitted I would love to see the stats!

Interesting story. I did have a med school friend of mine tell me that sometimes adcoms have this vision of how they want their applicants to be and if you don't fit it then you will never get in no matter what you do. After reading your story and given that this was my second rejection, I do have to wonder if I'm that person that will never get in. UH told me flat out that I will never be a pharmacist (I thought at least not from their school) but I have not gotten that straight forward answer from UT. I wish UT would be more forward in their advice.

I'm thinking of applying again but I'm not going to put all my eggs in one basket either (like I did this time). But I'm also thinking of just making the drugs and having pharmacists dispense it for me instead. Its hard trying to figure out what you want to do with the rest of your life.

Wow UH sounds kinda harsh

I am a current UT student, I can tell you UT doesn't have a "profile" for candidates. While "trends" may look to be apparent, we really are a very diverse group. Take a look at my stats and that of others who got in. Some of us have 4.0, some have 99% on PCAT, some have 10+ years experience, other have PhDs, but that is by no means a requirement!

For example, I failed one of my undergrad classes and had to retake it, and I still got in! Plus, I do not have a BS, I am an older student, and most of my pharmacy experience is in management not really the technical side.

I have to say from my experience letters of rec for UT seem to really make the tipping point. Make sure you have at least 1 good, long indepth letter preferably from a pharmacist or professor. A short 1 page letter may work for other schools, but a good LOR goes a long way.

I can say from experience the hardest part about getting declined is coming back to try again. But I know all of you can do it!! I hope to see you all in the future!:thumbup:

Anyone still deciding about going to UT or not. PM me for my opinions on the school. I'm a current P3 student, and can tell you honestly why and why NOT to attend UT.

Highlight:
+UT COP is #4 in the Nation (with the faculty to prove it)
+Accredited and Established Program (preceptors VOLUNTEER to work with us!)
+College is responsive to Students requests (new curriculum! yay!)
-Old School/Facilities/Labs with no hopes of future improvement (we're #4 so why bother?)
-Not the best for future "Community" Pharmacists (wanna work at Walgreens, sucks to be you)
-Purposefully and overly challenging curriculum just to see if you can take it (Seriously 10 classes a semester?!?)

So if you are in need of that honest unfiltered opinion that others aren't willing to give, I can help!

I haven't heard about any movement. I was put #1 on the waitlist, which sucks cause I was so close, but is the next best thing! I know Houston sent out acceptances yesterday, so maybe a spot will open up at UT soon...

UT COP- Interviewed, WL#1
UH COP- Interview offered, Declined

:eek:

Geez! What prompted UH to tell you that? That is really unacceptable!!! How did you reply?

I actually called an admissions counselor and talked to some lady on the phone. She told me that it was very unlikely that I would become a pharmacist with my grades and then proceeded to ask if I had a back up plan (i.e. go do something else). I was just so shocked that she spoke to me that way I really couldn't say much. I actually almost started to cry. I told her that I did have plans to work in a pharmacy for a while until I could decide what was my best option. I'm glad that she acted that way b/c it just showed me what type of program it was. Not that it's a bad program but it's just not for me. It's also the reason why I fell in love w/ UT b/c they showed me how diverse their student pop was.

good luck to those on the waiting list :xf: I'm keeping my fingers crossed that it moves and some of y'all get in.

:eek:

Geez! What prompted UH to tell you that? That is really unacceptable!!! How did you reply?

I don't blame the school. They told you the harsh truth; I'd rather have the harsh truth than a sugar coated lie. That's the problem these days, people are soft and don't want to hurt someone's feelings. It all comes down to how you handle it, either you don't accepted and prove them wrong or realize maybe the field of pharmacy just isn't for you. Good luck to whatever path you choose.

Hello everyone!
I need some advice.

So I a sophomore at UT, I have a made a decent GPA my freshman year with a 3.8, but my first semester sophomore year I got a D on Ochem 1. Which dropped my gpa down to a 3.45. I am now retaking Ochem 1 this spring semester, and most likely going to make a B in it. My GPA is going to be most likely a 3.5 at the end of this spring. Even though UT's average GPA is a 3.6 for admission and I have a will have a 3.5 when applying, I am worried that the D in ochem is going to automatically reject my application.

Should I be worried?

Has anyone been accepted to UT pharm having made a D in a core class?

Honestly, dont worry about it. What is done is done, see if you can get an A that would be better, but I dont think UT worries about just one class. Other than that you have a chance with a 3.5, people have gotten in with worse.

Hello everyone!
I need some advice.

So I a sophomore at UT, I have a made a decent GPA my freshman year with a 3.8, but my first semester sophomore year I got a D on Ochem 1. Which dropped my gpa down to a 3.45. I am now retaking Ochem 1 this spring semester, and most likely going to make a B in it. My GPA is going to be most likely a 3.5 at the end of this spring. Even though UT's average GPA is a 3.6 for admission and I have a will have a 3.5 when applying, I am worried that the D in ochem is going to automatically reject my application.

Should I be worried?

Has anyone been accepted to UT pharm having made a D in a core class?

People have gotten C's in the past but still got accepted. One class is not adversely affect your chances. Just don't do it again.

People have gotten C's in the past but still got accepted. One class is not adversely affect your chances. Just don't do it again.

To add to that, people have gotten in with Fs, I know a few people who did in the past. You just have to have a good reason for why it happened, what you learned from it and show that you in reality are not the failure. I am not saying that it happens often but there is still a chance and you will never know if you don't try. Don't care about your stats in comparison to others and work on your application, and make it amazing. Just like people with poor stats get rejected, so do people with average stats, and amazing ones. When it comes down to it, once you get an interview I believe you make them hate you, like you, believe in you, cheer for you, or black list you. I mean its important to be realistic, but if you meet the minimum requirements for a school and you are not too concerned about the 100 application fee, and possible rejection apply. I think the most important thing during the application process is being able to take rejection, and even when you have the lowest stats act confident in your self and make them believe you deserve to be there.

Since 2013 people are in here already just wanted to say.

1. UT is going to be on PharmCAS next year so YAYYYYY!
2. Unfortunately the app deadline is now NOV 1st,~7months away BOOO!

PharmCAS should take some stress off but will probably make it even more competitive. Some people decide to do only PharmCAS schools and not individual application schools. Now that UT is in PharmCAS this leads to the additional mass application applicants. Application season is still going and 2013 has started, this is so crazy!

I am so happy this crazy stuff is over and wish you all the best!

I don't blame the school. They told you the harsh truth; I'd rather have the harsh truth than a sugar coated lie. That's the problem these days, people are soft and don't want to hurt someone's feelings. It all comes down to how you handle it, either you don't accepted and prove them wrong or realize maybe the field of pharmacy just isn't for you. Good luck to whatever path you choose.

I don't blame the school but I'm glad I'm not spending one more cent on them either. I was trying to get Dr. Wilcox to give it to me straight this cycle but he wasn't like U of H. I'm working on proving them wrong but thanks for the encouragement.

So while I was rejected from the school of pharmacy, I got a letter today that says I was accepted as an undergrad to UT. Uhhh, thanks. I was wondering why they kept sending me emails to say they are processing my financial aid when they rejected me. Am I the only one this happened to? I feel like they should have a better system in place to save confusion. I guess going with PharmCas next year will fix it.

So while I was rejected from the school of pharmacy, I got a letter today that says I was accepted as an undergrad to UT. Uhhh, thanks. I was wondering why they kept sending me emails to say they are processing my financial aid when they rejected me. Am I the only one this happened to? I feel like they should have a better system in place to save confusion. I guess going with PharmCas next year will fix it.

Same here.

Have any current students heard absolutely anything about movement on the waiting list? There have been no updates!

We just got our acceptance packets on Monday, accepting or declining the offer so I guess movement will happen after that.

We just got our acceptance packets on Monday, accepting or declining the offer so I guess movement will happen after that.

Really? I was under the impression that you guys got your packets a few days after you were informed you were accepted! I'll keep my fingers crossed. Thanks for the info!