University of Texas at Austin

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Be careful people... anybody can create a new profile with the name Knickerbocker2, TheRealKnick, etc...

Something seems fishy here...

Wouldn't he have created a profile with a completely new name so as to remove himself from controversy... since that's kinda the reason he deleted the old one? Otherwise what purpose did his departure serve?

Members don't see this ad.

Be careful people... anybody can create a new profile with the name Knickerbocker2, TheRealKnick, etc...

Something seems fishy here...

Wouldn't he have created a profile with a completely new name so as to remove himself from controversy... since that's kinda the reason he deleted the old one? Otherwise what purpose did his departure serve?

One of the moderators said that I can reactivate my old account, so I'll go ahead and do that in order to remove any doubt. New avatar, of course.

Members don't see this ad :)
I wonder which avatar should I use.

I have grown fond of your current one. Of course, I liked the phoenix, too.

Oh, and by the way, it's not over 'til the fat lady sings and she ain't even warming up at some schools. You do still have a chance.

?Who's warming up fat ladies?

Go with the phoenix dude... sorry to doubt you man... its just I've seen people's persona hijacked on other forums before just like that... glad you're back.

Hey guys, its me again! Last round of interviews I offered to send out this big old document that i typed up with ideas/advice/answers to interview questions. if anyone who got an interview this round (congrats btw!) and wants me to send them that document, just message me with your email.

and for the record... i REALLY don't understand UT. i really didnt think that i was up to their standards, as far as my GPA and PCAT and extracurriculars went. but, without sounding too egotistical, i think my intervew went REALLy well. i got along with both the professor and the pharmacy student very well, they were very chatty and were joking with me. so i know that that had to have been what sealed the deal for me.

congrats to everyone who got in recently! cant wait to see ya'll in the fall :)

btw... does anyone need a roommate??? (im a girl, btw)

and knickerbocker... i have honestly never seen such a sore loser...

Hey guys, its me again! Last round of interviews I offered to send out this big old document that i typed up with ideas/advice/answers to interview questions. if anyone who got an interview this round (congrats btw!) and wants me to send them that document, just message me with your email.

and for the record... i REALLY don't understand UT. i really didnt think that i was up to their standards, as far as my GPA and PCAT and extracurriculars went. but, without sounding too egotistical, i think my intervew went REALLy well. i got along with both the professor and the pharmacy student very well, they were very chatty and were joking with me. so i know that that had to have been what sealed the deal for me.

congrats to everyone who got in recently! cant wait to see ya'll in the fall :)

and knickerbocker... i have honestly never seen such a sore loser...

Ugh, please don't resurrect this. He's been gracious enough to apologize.

i hadnt seen the apology.... so now i apologize :)

im glad youre going to be more positive and i hope your string of bad luck ends!

I don't know either if this is the place to post this, but I was thinking of getting a condo off of E. Martin Luther King Jr. Blvd, about 9.5 miles east of campus. I would be looking for 2 guys to share the place with. It would be a 3 bedroom place and I would only stay at the place 2 nights a week as I have my family in San Antonio. I would be looking to lease out the rooms for about $300 plus 1/3 utilities. This is of course not definite, just throwing out the idea if there are any guys interested.

I'm thinking about commuting everyday from Killeen... it's at least an hour drive w/out traffic. Does this sound crazy???

My other option is to buy a condo/townhome close to UT and drive home on the weekends. In that case, I'd need a roommate.

What you all think?

Oh, I want only girl roommates.

but, without sounding too egotistical, i think my intervew went REALLy well. i got along with both the professor and the pharmacy student very well, they were very chatty and were joking with me. so i know that that had to have been what sealed the deal for me.

My interviewers really didn't seem interested in talking to me. I wish that I had a faculty member instead of some business guy, that might have made a difference.

Things were better at Tech, but one of my interviewers gave me grief for doing research (acting as though pharmacy were a last second decision for me - meanwhile, they accepted someone I know who had been trying to get into medical school for three years and literally jumped into pharmacy at the last second so that he wouldn't have to go back to his home country).

My interviewers at A&M actually seemed interested in talking to me, and that one went a lot better. They also standardized the time (everyone was given exactly 30 minutes) while the other two schools let people take whatever time their interviewers would allow.

I'm thinking about commuting everyday from Killeen... it's at least an hour drive w/out traffic. Does this sound crazy???

My other option is to buy a condo/townhome close to UT and drive home on the weekends. In that case, I'd need a roommate.

What you all think?

That drive is going to be terrible at both ends at the time that you'd likely be travelling to/from class. From Killeen, you'd have to take 190 to either I-35 or 183, depending on what you prefer. There's also that small backroad that is probably a deer-leaping-in-the-road haven. That is going to be many hours on the road every day. Also, fuel costs are also pretty high and will likely rise.

This might be a good time to buy something while prices have plummeted. Besides, Austin rocks and Killeen is so... Well, it sucks.

FixLittlePeople: I guess your situation is similar to mine, just opposite direction. You definitely not going to commute?

Members don't see this ad :)
There's also that small backroad that is probably a deer-leaping-in-the-road haven. That is going to be many hours on the road every day. Also, fuel costs are also pretty high and will likely rise. This might be a good time to buy something while prices have plummeted. Besides, Austin rocks and Killeen is so... Well, it sucks.

Yeah I'd be taking the deer road... it's been expanded recently though, mostly 2 lanes both ways so not as bad. But still... don't want to drive so much. Yeah, definitely a good time to buy, that's what I was thinking. Guess FixLittlePeople is thinking the same thing...

ye, i was looking at some cheap place out there by Austin Colony. where were you looking?

That drive is going to be terrible at both ends at the time that you'd likely be travelling to/from class. From Killeen, you'd have to take 190 to either I-35 or 183, depending on what you prefer. There's also that small backroad that is probably a deer-leaping-in-the-road haven. That is going to be many hours on the road every day. Also, fuel costs are also pretty high and will likely rise.

This might be a good time to buy something while prices have plummeted. Besides, Austin rocks and Killeen is so... Well, it sucks.

:laugh::laugh:

The way I see it, the traffic/construction/parking in Austin is so annoying, that it would to take forever to get to and from school anyway (unless you lived within walking distance). So why not add 45 minutes? You could record lectures and listen to them while driving... or something equally nerdy. :D

What you all think?

It is going to be very hard to drive to and from Killeen everyday. In case you are not aware, the vast majority of the exams for the first year are at night (usually 7-9pm). That may affect your decision.

The way I see it, the traffic/construction/parking in Austin is so annoying, that it would to take forever to get to and from school anyway (unless you lived within walking distance). So why not add 45 minutes? You could record lectures and listen to them while driving... or something equally nerdy. :D

I commute to campus from Cedar Park. Because I leave before traffic starts (usually before 6am) and drive home either before or after rush hour, it usually takes me between 20-30 minutes to get to campus from my apartment.

It is going to be very hard to drive to and from Killeen everyday. In case you are not aware, the vast majority of the exams for the first year are at night (usually 7-9pm). That may affect your decision.

Yeah I'll have to think long and hard about it.

Anyone know what the commute times are on E. Martin Luther King Jr. Blvd. I mean I've driven it in 10 minutes, but that was on Saturday afternoon. If any guys were interested in this roomy situation, you'd have to have a car as the bus don't run this far on Martin Luther, the good thing is that its a straight shooter to the campus.

mike36, once you get on campus, where do you park. I think the $500 some odd dollars they want for a garage per year is well worth it.

Well, since I didn't get in this year and might be going to Tech (if everything goes well)...Anyone want to rent our house?

Just kidding

Maybe

:laugh:

hey mike36, what time do classes start? you really have to leave before 6 am?!?

Anyone know what the commute times are on E. Martin Luther King Jr. Blvd. I mean I've driven it in 10 minutes, but that was on Saturday afternoon. If any guys were interested in this roomy situation, you'd have to have a car as the bus don't run this far on Martin Luther, the good thing is that its a straight shooter to the campus.

the commute won't be bad but you should be aware that the area that far east is a relatively rough neighborhood crime-wise.

generally i've been told that you should try live as close to campus as you can; walking distance if possible. apparently losing sleep commuting or not having access to the pharm facilities and classmates when you need it is a hassle. and when you get out of the immediate downtown area its a huge pain trying to weedle through traffic to make it for a 8am class

West Campus (west of Guadalupe) and North Campus are generally the most common places for people to live. If you need a starting point, I would try to pick something up along the bus routes, like... say along 31st street or Red River. Those routes are generally dotted with apartment complexes and North Campus is generally a safe and well-to-do area. The Red River route also runs pretty far north, if you're having problems finding a place close to campus. For West Campus, I would try to stay within 10 minute walking distance.

--Garfield3d

I am defnitiely not looking at apartments because I only need a place 2 nights a week the rest of the time I'll be commuting. Reason why I was looking out that area bamobrian is for price. People that don't want to shell out 5,6,700 a month for a room/apartment will settle for a lesser neighborhood, you get what you pay for I guess. I certainly don't want to pay that kind of money for a room I'm only going to use 2 times a week. Anyways, it's still just an idea.

mike36, once you get on campus, where do you park. I think the $500 some odd dollars they want for a garage per year is well worth it.

I park in the C Lot (close to I-35) and then walk to class. I think the C permits are 80$ or 100$ for one year.

hey mike36, what time do classes start? you really have to leave before 6 am?!?

No, I do not really have to leave before 6 am. The main reason I do it is to avoid traffic (less time driving means more time studying).

The first semester, classes start at 9 or 930 most days. The second semester, they start 8 or 830.

My schedule is a little different than most. I worked nights for two years in a lab. So I prefer to get up around 12 am or 1 am and study until class starts. I also go to work at 5 am some mornings and work for 2 or 3 hours before class. I did that two mornings a week in the first semester and only one morning a week this semester. Those days, I leave at 430 am so I can get to work by 5. Since my work is close to campus, it doesn't take long to get to class when I get off.

I park in the C Lot (close to I-35) and then walk to class. I think the C permits are 80$ or 100$ for one year.

I think I just need to go out there and explore the campus, the UT maps online seem to be of no help.

During my first round at UT, I lived up near Cedar Park, and yeah--if I left by 6-6:30 I'd get to campus in 20 minutes or so. Now I live in South Austin, and the commute is about 30 minutes (avoiding I35 of course.)

Tharper, considering that the Austin housing market hasn't been hit as hard as other places in the US (Denver, San Fran, etc.) you may want to avoid shelling out money to buy a place right now, because the housing market is pretty uncertain. Unless you see yourself either renting out the place after you graduate or continuing to live there--then it could be a good investment. Rents on apartments are quite low now as well. Remember to compare a rent + utilities of an apartment with a mortgage + property taxes (which are astronomically high in Texas--I pay over $350 each month in escrow for property taxes on a $170K home) + private mortage insurance (if your down payment is less than 20%) + utilities. Just be sure you know what your total outflow will be each month (that is, unless you have a pile of cash laying around to buy a property--that would be cool.)

Anyway, just check out both options. You don't want to stretch your income limits while you're in school (and poor) vs. after graduating when you have a much higher income.

As far as parking, I think if you get a garage permit, you can only park in the garage behind the stadium (and then maybe transfer the following year.) At least that's how I remember it. For my money, I'd probably stick to C parking, b/c if you get to campus before 9AM, you can get a spot in the C Lot behind the stadium and save about $400 or so.

Oh, actually I'd recommend C+ parking ($110) b/c then you can park in ALL garages after 5PM (for those late night study-a-thons) for free.

Just a thought.

Ok, well looks like some stuff has changed. C permits are now $110 and C+ are $170 - yikes!

FixLittlePeople,

You may also want to check out this link for parking information.

I am defnitiely not looking at apartments because I only need a place 2 nights a week the rest of the time I'll be commuting. Reason why I was looking out that area bamobrian is for price. People that don't want to shell out 5,6,700 a month for a room/apartment will settle for a lesser neighborhood, you get what you pay for I guess. I certainly don't want to pay that kind of money for a room I'm only going to use 2 times a week. Anyways, it's still just an idea.
just dont want anyone to steal your mortar and pestle when you've worked so hard to get it ;)

the UT course schedule for the fall is already up, so i already put together what the schedule will look like (there is some variability for discussions and stuff though), and it looks like bout 9 am is when we're starting, at least for mwf. (sometimes my nerdiness astounds me.... i actually took the time to find all the classes and make up a schedule on excel. probably should have been studying for my ochem test).

im a sophomore at ut right now, and i honeslty cant imagine living as far away as kileen or even any farther than riverside. traffic in this area is absolutely awful, not to mention parking is miserable. my advice is live close... and on a bus route.

ye, i put together the schedule (i'm incoming P1) the day the fall schedule came out. basically there are classes that are fixed time and classes that varry. I've built two schedules, One where I would have a nice tight schedule (I'd prefer) and one where classes are kind of all over the place (would not be ideal to my commuting schedule). Ann said they build the schedule for us, which limits our choosing of the classes that have variable time slots. Mike36 or any other UT student, can you chime in as to how much sayso one has when it comes to picking classes for P1?

ye, i put together the schedule (i'm incoming P1) the day the fall schedule came out. basically there are classes that are fixed time and classes that varry. I've built two schedules, One where I would have a nice tight schedule (I'd prefer) and one where classes are kind of all over the place (would not be ideal to my commuting schedule). Ann said they build the schedule for us, which limits our choosing of the classes that have variable time slots. Mike36 or any other UT student, can you chime in as to how much sayso one has when it comes to picking classes for P1?

Once your schedule is put together, you will have the option of trading labs with a classmate. You both will have to fill out and sign a form for this to happen. The discussion session for 249A is fixed, you cannot switch with another student for that one, but all other labs can be traded if you can find someone.

Where do you find the fall schedule?

Just wait...

I don't know, I'm used to taking a lot of classes. The only thing that worries me is the 3 different labs, each 3-4 hrs long.

mike36, are you usually in lab for that long, or worse, longer than that?

regarding housing, i'd strongly advise against commuting. Traffic in and around austin is horrible. I'd suggest looking around Far West, possibly the best price near a shuttle bus route (although I haven't checked in years).

As far as a parking permits go, I'd stick with the C...

you can get a S permit for roughly 500 a year if u are not a resident of the dorms

I don't know, I'm used to taking a lot of classes. The only thing that worries me is the 3 different labs, each 3-4 hrs long.

mike36, are you usually in lab for that long, or worse, longer than that?

The labs are easy. It will depend on your TA, but I usually wasn't in lab for more than 1.5 to 2 hours.

Is it worth getting an S permit? Can you usually get parking with a C or C+?

Is it worth getting an S permit? Can you usually get parking with a C or C+?

I have never had a problem getting a C spot, and I have gotten to campus as late as 9 or 930. Getting there late may mean you have to park on the other side of I-35, but it is still C parking. I enjoy the long walk to campus, so I don't mind parking far away.

I don't know what an S permit is.

Actually, I didn't think the first semester was incredibly difficult, though there were a few moments...

Taking 9 classes all at once though is time consuming. It gets bad when you have multiple exams/presentations/papers in the same week or even the same day.

Really, though, it is the Spring semester that is tough. This semester just seems to drag on and on. It never ends...please let it end soon. :scared: