University of Texas at Austin

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

nehe87

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm applying to pharmacy schools this fall, and my top choice is UT Austin. I was just wondering, for you guys out there who got accepted (especially for this coming fall session), what kinds of stats did you have? Did you do anything special that you think made you stand out? I know there are only about 125 spots offered at UT, and it's EXTREMELY competitive. I just wanted some insight from all of your experiences, if you would be willing to offer it. I'll take any advice given! :)

Members don't see this ad.

i had around a 3.75GPA when i was applying and a 93 on the pcat and got in. My advice is to keep your grades up, study for the PCAT (obviously), but also have pharmacy experience. you should get a job working as a pharm tech. also, get letters of reccomendation from a pharmacist or professor. good luck!

I had about a 3.1 overall undergrad, 3.15 prereq, 3.8 grad school GPA, with a 96 PCAT. I know my GPA is well below their averages, but I had lots of extracurriculars, pharm experience and very good letters. I was also a reapplicant. My one suggestion is apply early! They start accepting applications in October and start interviewing in January so get everything in ASAP. Also, if you're not currently a UT student you have to apply to UT as an undergrad. Good luck to you.

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm also thinking about applying to UT Austin....

so we have to finish the common application with essay and then their pharmacy application with two essays...

I'm applying to pharmacy schools this fall, and my top choice is UT Austin. I was just wondering, for you guys out there who got accepted (especially for this coming fall session), what kinds of stats did you have? Did you do anything special that you think made you stand out? I know there are only about 125 spots offered at UT, and it's EXTREMELY competitive. I just wanted some insight from all of your experiences, if you would be willing to offer it. I'll take any advice given! :)

Not to upset you or anything. But you should know that you're not competing for 125 spots. You're competing for about 90. 30 to 40 are already spoken for.

Not to upset you or anything. But you should know that you're not competing for 125 spots. You're competing for about 90. 30 to 40 are already spoken for.

Please elaborate.

Please elaborate.

There are people who do a program where they go directly from high school to a six year pharmacy plan.

I'm so jealous of said people. When I finished high school back in 1997, I hardly even knew about the process of getting into college... My parents barely finished high school, so I couldn't turn to them. Nobody at school helped me. I went to a community college for a semester and then dropped out for several years.

What I wouldn't give to transfer my current knowledge of the working of things to myself 10 years ago. It's all so clear to me now.

I think what he's talking about are those spots reserved for the El Paso people (correct me if I'm wrong, please). Although, I heard that they only reserved 25 spots for them (that info might be outdated, not sure), and they give acceptance letters to about 135 people, to account for people who decline. That's just what I've heard from some people who go to UT, so none of that is a for sure thing! :)

Overal GPA~3.5
PCAT-98%
B.S. in Clinical Laboratory Science from UT Austin
2 years experience working as CLS in reference lab
No pharmacy experience
During the interview, be conversational and relaxed. I think I was only asked 4 or 5 questions, but it lasted about an hour because we would get off on tangents. We talked about a lot of things besides pharmacy.

I'm applying to UT Austin for Fall 08, and I was wondering if anyone else had anything to share =]

I'm applying to UT Austin for Fall 08, and I was wondering if anyone else had anything to share =]

Did you finish your UT undergraduate transfer already (if you weren't already a UT student)?

I am a UT student.

Members don't see this ad :)
What I wouldn't give to transfer my current knowledge of the working of things to myself 10 years ago. It's all so clear to me now.

I totally have to agree with that one! There are so many resources out there now that I found out about after maybe my 3rd year in college, because a lot of it was just under the belt-now everyone knows about those program-rate my professor, deap program,highschool to pharm school programs...etc.
oh well, we can't turn back time so we can just try our best with what we've got!

LATERALUS IS BACK EVERYONE YES ITS TRUE

if anyone needs any help with regards to the UT application process lemme know. I'm gunna warn you all now, you're gunna wanna party your face off P1 yer if you're not an austin native or new to the city. More on that in a later post.

lateralus is posting on SDN from med chem class

Hi, does UT look at the PCAT composite or each sub-sections? How does everyone fullfill the one-year foreign laugauge requirement?

if anyone needs any help with regards to the UT application process lemme know. I'm gunna warn you all now, you're gunna wanna party your face off P1 yer if you're not an austin native or new to the city. More on that in a later post.
When Wilcox (admissions chair) presented at LPPA (UT's pharmacy club), he emphasized pharmacy experience and having either pharmacists or work/volunteer supervisors write your LORs. In fact, he said on applications where a pharmacist wrote the LOR, they specially tag it with a red sticker or something (Wasn't sure if he was being serious or joking, probably serious).

My question is, do you have a rough idea of how UT weighs the different things when determining who to accept? Like GPA, PCAT, pharmacy experience, etc. And also, even though they prefer you to not have a professor write your LOR, is it okay if you do? I'm using a pharmacist as my first LOR but I might have to resort to using a professor as my second LOR.

Thanks! =]

Getting into UT is all of the party that I need in my life.

How does everyone fullfill the one-year foreign laugauge requirement?

I knew some people that got admitted and then took the foreign language courses during the summer before school began. So... don't sweat it. :)

I knew some people that got admitted and then took the foreign language courses during the summer before school began. So... don't sweat it. :)

thx for replying. It's a one-year course right? How could they finish them during summer? And does it have to be your native laugauge?:confused:

thx for replying. It's a one-year course right? How could they finish them during summer? And does it have to be your native laugauge?:confused:

If your school has two summer sessions, they might offer Language I the first session and Language II the second session.

Any (legit) language other than English would be counted as a foreign language. I say legit just in case some joker wants to try to claim something like Klingon or Elvish :laugh:

My question is, do you have a rough idea of how UT weighs the different things when determining who to accept? Like GPA, PCAT, pharmacy experience, etc. And also, even though they prefer you to not have a professor write your LOR, is it okay if you do? I'm using a pharmacist as my first LOR but I might have to resort to using a professor as my second LOR.

Thanks! =][/quote]

I'm currently a P1, so I'll try to answer any questions that I can.
The admissions committee is very vague when answering the above questions. The only answer I ever got was that the initially rank everyone by GPA while factoring in the difficulty of the school you did your pre-reqs at. They then look at everyone above a certain point (which they won't say, although I suspect it changes every year). After that everything is less defined.

As far as LOR, I though they wanted 1 professor and 1 pharmacist...

Getting into UT is all of the party that I need in my life.

you think that at first.......ask the bigdogconey he'll fill you in lol. anywayz hope the application process is going well for everyone? Im supposed to studying for our Physical Chemistry exam thursday but thought I'd check in on everyone

When Wilcox (admissions chair) presented at LPPA (UT's pharmacy club), he emphasized pharmacy experience and having either pharmacists or work/volunteer supervisors write your LORs. In fact, he said on applications where a pharmacist wrote the LOR, they specially tag it with a red sticker or something (Wasn't sure if he was being serious or joking, probably serious).

Thanks! =]

To be honest with you I sent in about 4 letters of recommendation, even though we're only supposed to have 2. One of my undergrad professors was a Texas Representative though so that took care of that requirement. Definately have a pharmacist do 1 of your letters of rec they wanna see that you've had exposure. Also, I hadn't worked in a pharmacy in 4 years, still licensed tech, but had spent alot of time on my research project instead which i have a poster and data for so if you have something like that make sure you mention it. I felt like Wilcox's eyes light up when i started talking about my research because he instantaneously become so interested asking questions etc etc. Numberwise, my GPA was 3.5 undergrad, probably around same for pre reqs with 87 PCAT and I got in for what I think was the 2nd round of acceptances. I got a 58 on the verbal subsection of the pcat but 99 on chemistry and Im guessing if anything theyd look at the science subsection scores AFTER looking at your composite. Again if you get Wilcox for your interview, make sure you sound like a person well-versed in scientific academia rather than just an pharmacy school hopeful cuz it worked for me.

you think that at first.......ask the bigdogconey he'll fill you in lol. anywayz hope the application process is going well for everyone? Im supposed to studying for our Physical Chemistry exam thursday but thought I'd check in on everyone

Is it a full blow physical chemistry course, or just kinetics? It seems like there wouldn't be an quantum mechanics in pharmacy school.

Is it a full blow physical chemistry course, or just kinetics? It seems like there wouldn't be an quantum mechanics in pharmacy school.

nahh it's pretty basic, pharmacokinetics is next semester i think, that's gunna suck. I took cal-based pchem in undergrad which was wayy harder. P1 year is all about enrichment in sciences relating heavily to pharmacy, nothing related to actual pharmacy practice yet. they want you to know how and why things happen rather than just knowing that you're supposed to do something.

i had around a 3.75GPA when i was applying and a 93 on the pcat and got in. My advice is to keep your grades up, study for the PCAT (obviously), but also have pharmacy experience. you should get a job working as a pharm tech. also, get letters of reccomendation from a pharmacist or professor. good luck!

I got a 73 on PCAT--I really did not have a lot of time to study for the exam and most of the math was cal-based which I have not seen since 1999. UG GPA 3.41, and Grad GPA 3.8...I am also an adjunct college instructor. What do you think my chances are of getting an interview at UT?

Pchem at UT COP is similar to gen chem II. Thermodynamics, equilibria, acid/base, buffers, solubility, kinetics (but no electrochemistry). Our professor threw in a lot of extra factoids and tidbits to show pharmacy relevance. For instance, how does the acidity or the basicity of a drug affect the absorbance in the GI tract (stomach, duodenum, jejunum, ileum). How can you change the absorbance of a drug so that it absorbs through the duodenum and not the stomach? Things like that.

There wasn't any advanceds math in it like calculus or physics though. Pretty easy if you were good at gen chem II calculations and memorizing random facts.

Definitely NOT like Pchem for chem and biochem majors. And it only covers basic zero and first order kinetics, because we have a full three hour course next semester over pharmacokinetics, like lateralus said.

Does UT require a personal statement?

Does UT require a personal statement?

you are required to write 2 short essays. (1. Why Pharmacy? 2. Why UT?) There is a limit on each of the essays...

I guess it's kind of like a personal statement...:confused:

Oh okay, so just the two short essays, but no generic "personal statement" kind of thing. Thanks =)

I have written so many essays for applications... some of them I have actually been able to reuse for different schools. The essays that I used to answer Topic A in the Tx common application contains some similar words and phrases as the one I plan to use for the 2nd application essay that asks about why I chose pharmacy. Do you think they will consider that plagiarism... should I make them look completely different, or is there a chance that the same set of people don't even see both of these essays?

I have written so many essays for applications... some of them I have actually been able to reuse for different schools. The essays that I used to answer Topic A in the Tx common application contains some similar words and phrases as the one I plan to use for the 2nd application essay that asks about why I chose pharmacy. Do you think they will consider that plagiarism... should I make them look completely different, or is there a chance that the same set of people don't even see both of these essays?

Applying to UT and applying to the college of pharmacy is 2 separate things. I don't think it would matter if you used similar phrases or even the essay for that matter. Plagiarism is taking credit for someone else's work...in this case, this is your work... so it's kinda like killing 2 birds with 1 stone.:D

Would any of you happen to remember when UT sent out interview invitations last year?

Would any of you happen to remember when UT sent out interview invitations last year?

I think I received my invitation only a week or two before the interview via email (and snail mail a few days later). I remember that it was relatively short notice.

This thread is freaking me out! No one said anything about having to have a pharmacist write your LOR!!! Plus the ones in UT P1 right now... are you the top acceptants?!?! Like hello, 99 c/s on the PCAT? :eek: Are you for really? Plus they adjust your GPA depending on what school you go to?! Please tell me you are kidding????

This thread is freaking me out! No one said anything about having to have a pharmacist write your LOR!!! Plus the ones in UT P1 right now... are you the top acceptants?!?! Like hello, 99 c/s on the PCAT? :eek: Are you for really? Plus they adjust your GPA depending on what school you go to?! Please tell me you are kidding????

I didn't have a pharmacist write an LOR and had no pharmacy experience. Also, keep in mind that those with lower PCATs/GPAs do not post as much as those with higher scores.

I took the pcat 1st time in jan... I got an ok from the dean, saying they will put my application on 'hold' until my results come in, sometime in march.

Anyone know if this means I'll only be considered for the last round on interviews? Keep in mind I have an extremely high GPA (from a community college, though... will that lower my gpa?), some volunteer experience in pharmacies, and I think, some really good LORs (from chem teachers). Oh, and a previous BS from another country... (yes, I did all my prereqs AGAIN so that I would have a GPA for these classes...)

I took the pcat 1st time in jan... I got an ok from the dean, saying they will put my application on 'hold' until my results come in, sometime in march.

Anyone know if this means I'll only be considered for the last round on interviews? Keep in mind I have an extremely high GPA (from a community college, though... will that lower my gpa?), some volunteer experience in pharmacies, and I think, some really good LORs (from chem teachers). Oh, and a previous BS from another country... (yes, I did all my prereqs AGAIN so that I would have a GPA for these classes...)

From the very limited information you have given us, I would say that you stand a very reasonable chance of getting an interview at UT. Good luck!:D

From the very limited information you have given us, I would say that you stand a very reasonable chance of getting an interview at UT. Good luck!:D

Thanks! Just freaking out is all... the wait is excruciating!!!

I would think so as well. UT interviews about 350 people, so if you've got pretty good stats you should at least get an interview.

Even if you're in the last round of interviews it's ok, I didn't interview until April and I know lots of other people in my class that interviewed in April too. So being in the last round of interviews doesn't automatically mean you won't get in.

Even if you're in the last round of interviews it's ok, I didn't interview until April and I know lots of other people in my class that interviewed in April too. So being in the last round of interviews doesn't automatically mean you won't get in.

I would think so as well. UT interviews about 350 people, so if you've got pretty good stats you should at least get an interview.

Thanks guys, I'll keep you posted... interviews go out sometime this week for 1st round, I think... been cheking here at least 100x a day to see if anyone's heard from UT when I really should be studying :(

I didn't have a pharmacist write an LOR and had no pharmacy experience. Also, keep in mind that those with lower PCATs/GPAs do not post as much as those with higher scores.

i was declined last year for not having pharmacy letters or experience. i had a good gpa, great pcat, lots of extracurricular. i dont mean to offend, but this is really distressing to me. i've gotten experience and pharm letters now but where else could i have tripped up?

as i understand they do take into consideration where you went to school; though they define where you went as where you did the majority of your prereq work

i was declined last year for not having pharmacy letters or experience. i had a good gpa, great pcat, lots of extracurricular. i dont mean to offend, but this is really distressing to me. i've gotten experience and pharm letters now but where else could i have tripped up?

as i understand they do take into consideration where you went to school; though they define where you went as where you did the majority of your prereq work

Don't know what to tell you. :confused:

My first time to step inside a pharmacy will be this summer for my early practice experience internship.

I'm not sure if this gives an answer, but I feel like there is no set criteria that gives any type of guarantee..

For instance my GPA isn't spectacular (~3.4 though most of my undergrad used narrative evaluations), but I got 99 on the PCAT. And I don't have much pharmacy experience beyond shadowing and volunteering once a week, but I do have 12+ years working full time in biochemistry/drug discovery research (I'm a bit older than most applicants).. Also I didn't use a letter from a pharmacist..

I did make sure to utilize all the extra essays in the transfer part of the application to describe my career plans for combining pharmacy with translational biology..

So I imagine it's a little of everything, but in the end no one box has to be checked off if that makes sense..

I'm not sure if this gives an answer, but I feel like there is no set criteria that gives any type of guarantee..

For instance my GPA isn't spectacular (~3.4 though most of my undergrad used narrative evaluations), but I got 99 on the PCAT. And I don't have much pharmacy experience beyond shadowing and volunteering once a week, but I do have 12+ years working full time in biochemistry/drug discovery research (I'm a bit older than most applicants).. Also I didn't use a letter from a pharmacist..

I did make sure to utilize all the extra essays in the transfer part of the application to describe my career plans for combining pharmacy with translational biology..

So I imagine it's a little of everything, but in the end no one box has to be checked off if that makes sense..

Very true. I should probably mention that I worked as a clinical laboratory scientist for 2 years full time after my undergrad degree. I did testing in hematology, urinalysis, blood bank, and a little serology. So I probably got some "points" for having work experience in the medical field.

i refered to myself in third person, as "the big dog", and they just seemed to love it....