University of St. Augustine???

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
..thanks shyster... still waiting... I'm getting nervous.... I did not get any notice yet =(..

Called them a week ago (10/24) about an application and I was told I'd hear something in two weeks. If you haven't called yet, do- they really are rather nice.

Good Luck!

Members don't see this ad.

Called them a week ago (10/24) about an application and I was told I'd hear something in two weeks. If you haven't called yet, do- they really are rather nice.

Good Luck!

Thanks, so i'm guessing your still waiting as well? I did call a long time ago, like Oct 11? They told me they are still in the process of viewing my application and I can hear any where from now until mid Nov 0_o ... but hearing others having already received an invitation for an interview is making me very nervous...

Thanks, so i'm guessing your still waiting as well? I did call a long time ago, like Oct 11? They told me they are still in the process of viewing my application and I can hear any where from now until mid Nov 0_o ... but hearing others having already received an invitation for an interview is making me very nervous...

I know what you mean about waiting... I was very anxious up until last Friday. Well, do you mind sharing your stats? We might be able to give you a better idea as to whether or not your app is just taking a little bit longer.

Members don't see this ad :)
I am still waiting myself...they did email me awhile back saying I was missing something, but now it is November and I am getting very anxious!

I am still waiting myself...they did email me awhile back saying I was missing something, but now it is November and I am getting very anxious!

what were you missing?i thought they said that there could be things missing in your application and you could still be offered an interview? like observation hours

Great news!

Looks like USA is still processing applications! My friend just received his "application is complete and in review" email today so hopefully ya'll will receive yours too!

Not me, for my friend's. We submitted at the same time but he hadn't received anything at all. For awhile he had prereqs missing. He just got an email today saying they are reviewing his apps. Hopefully you'll get something soon too!

I also go an interview invite a couple weeks ago. No more checking my email every second...for now! See you all December 2!

Does anyone know if there are any later interview dates besides December 2? If there are I'm guessing the most preferred applicants got the first interview invites and are thus more likely to be accepted (I hope)... Also does anyone know if applicants will be contacted by phone call, mail, or e-mail once they are accepted after the interview?

yea they do have later dates, not set yet.

And I believe it is an acceptance phone call that you receive.

what were you missing?i thought they said that there could be things missing in your application and you could still be offered an interview? like observation hours

Yeah, they said they need my finalized transcript (which I thought was sent) and one of my references didn't mail theirs. As far as I know now they should have everything and I am hoping I get that interview haha.

I FINALLY got an email saying they have received my application and will be processing it further.

For those of you that took the revised GRE, expect to hear an invitation for interview or rejection from them around mid November. I called them and they were super helpful and gave me all kinds of info. They also told me that they received 30% more applicants this year compared to last year. :whoa: I'm keeping my fingers crossed. Good luck Everyone!

I just took the revised GRE Nov. 4th. From what I understand on the GRE website. the date that I took the GRE, my score won't be sent out until Dec. 1.

Really, really anxious about my scores because scores were not shown on screen instantly upon completion and it felt like a harder test despite feeling much more prepared for the test this 2nd time around.

USA emailed me and told me I had to take the new revised GRE (low 900s first time) to be considered for an interview and said they will have later interview dates for those of us who were asked to take GRE again before being considered for an interview.

Seems like most of my stats are comparable to those already offered an interview. Looks like my GRE was the thing that held me back. Booo standardized tests!

Stats:
Overall GPA: 3.3
Pre-req GPA: not sure... probably around 3.0 (still finishing up pre-reqs also)
old GRE: 450V 460Q 3.5W; waiting for revised GRE scores
Hours: PT: 80 out-patient, 30 in-patient; other: 400+ hours collegiate strength and conditioning internship.
Applied: USA, UCF, Nova, USF

Members don't see this ad :)
Don't forget that USA has a trimester system. They have three matriculating classes each year: January, May, and September. They invited me for an interview for December 2, but I have to be at the University of Miami on the same day! Obviously I can't play Ms. Doubtfire, so I had to defer my application to the September 2012 term. They did this with no hassle or extra expense.

Kevin

I also have a Dec. 2 Interview for DPT. Where is everyone from? Is everyone right out of undergrad? Tips? Suggestions?

Does anyone know if there are any later interview dates besides December 2? If there are I'm guessing the most preferred applicants got the first interview invites and are thus more likely to be accepted (I hope)... Also does anyone know if applicants will be contacted by phone call, mail, or e-mail once they are accepted after the interview?
I don't know if there are any other interview dates, but from what I've heard, after the interview: if you get in you get a phone call, if you get wait-listed you get an email & if you get rejected you get it through mail...they said we should find out around 1-2 weeks after the interview

I don't know if there are any other interview dates, but from what I've heard, after the interview: if you get in you get a phone call, if you get wait-listed you get an email & if you get rejected you get it through mail...they said we should find out around 1-2 weeks after the interview

From what i understood- they were waiting for the new GRE scores from applicants to come in and then go either invite or reject for interviews and my score just got sent in this week... so i hope there's a later interview date!

RM000- are you looking to begin May2012? St. Aug?

RM000- are you looking to begin May2012? St. Aug?

originally May- but they discussed with me pushing it back until the fall term because my scores got in so late, i really wanted to start in May though..

I was one of the students asked to take the new version of the GRE. I took it Tuesday the 15th e-mailed Steve J. that night with my score and received an interview invite yesterday. I am incredibly nervous/excited!! How is everyone preparing for the interview? :)

Does anyone know about how many people are interviewing in St. Augustine on Dec. 2nd, and how many will be accepted?

I'll be there for an interview on the 2nd. Anybody have any clue on what's going on with the essay at the interview??

No one knows what will be on the essay...but, it will probably be some general question on healthcare, professionalism, etc.

Has anyone figured out how to pay the tuition for USA? It's insanely expensive.

Does anyone know the stats of those that get accepted? Such as GPA and GRE?

I received an interview for the January 2012 date, but I did not get in. I re-applied (all new items letters, essays, etc) and have not received an interview for the Summer 2012 yet. I have yet to hear a reply after the email that stated that my records went into review. I called and they said they may or may not schedule for a later interview. We shall see what happens.

As far as what are favorable stats, it depends on the pool of applicants. The only thing I don't know is how much your stats matter once you get into the interview. Are the stats just to get the interview or are the stats still factored even if you interview well.

My Stats:
Overall GPA:3.3
Pre-req GPA: 3.4
GRE: 630 Q, 460 V, 4.0 Writing
Undergraduate: Athletic Training(Undergrad GPA: 3.5)
Current Profession:Licensed Athletic Trainer and Outpatient clinic setting.

I received an interview for the January 2012 date, but I did not get in. I re-applied (all new items letters, essays, etc) and have not received an interview for the Summer 2012 yet. I have yet to hear a reply after the email that stated that my records went into review. I called and they said they may or may not schedule for a later interview. We shall see what happens.

As far as what are favorable stats, it depends on the pool of applicants. The only thing I don't know is how much your stats matter once you get into the interview. Are the stats just to get the interview or are the stats still factored even if you interview well.

My Stats:
Overall GPA:3.3
Pre-req GPA: 3.4
GRE: 630 Q, 460 V, 4.0 Writing
Undergraduate: Athletic Training(Undergrad GPA: 3.5)
Current Profession:Licensed Athletic Trainer and Outpatient clinic setting.

ATCJS- It looks like you have pretty good stats..Was the interview that rough? Do you feel like you did well?

I'm currently in my first semester at USA in San Marcos and if the interviews were anything like they were when I was there in February they'll have an essay and it can range from anything from how you candle stress, which I got to health care issues. My interview was probably the hardest one out of all my friends in the program. All of them had easy questions like the type of person they are and how they work in groups. For my personal interview I was asked issues on POPTS, direct access, Medicare, Vision 2020, etc and the basic questions of how I work in groups and handle stress and what not. Hope the helps. Looking on these forums definitely helped me in my interview process. If you search, someone posted interview questions from a few years back but they are pretty similar. Good luck and hope to see you guys in May!

ATCJS- It looks like you have pretty good stats..Was the interview that rough? Do you feel like you did well?

I flet like I did pretty well. I look back and I think there may have been a few things I could have done better, but overall I think it was a strong interview. There must have been plenty others who interviewed better. My problem is I'm not good at telling people what they want to hear. I'm pretty honest.(sometimes brutally honest)

So it looks like I won't get an interview for Summer 2012 class. He said there might be a slight chance when my updated GRE scores come in, but told me to reapply for Sept 2012 by the Dec. 15th deadline.

Anyway... When I asked about my stats, they had my pre-req GPA at a 3.1 and my last 45 at a 2.91. I did not realize they were doing last 45 instead of 60. That killed my GPA in that category. Was this common knowledge? I could have sworn it was last 60 hours not 45.

Anyway, I am also signed up to repeat 2 pre-reqs I got C's as well. Hopefully that will help. Good luck to all those who were invited to the interview.

I'll have to do a load of loans. Since the grad plus loan doesn't exist anymore, I'll prob have to shop around for bank loans and settle with whatever ridiculous rates they offer. That's if I get in to the program lol

Since when does ther GradPlus Loan not exist? Without that I cannot attend USA, but I haven't heard anything about it vanishing...

Since when does ther GradPlus Loan not exist? Without that I cannot attend USA, but I haven't heard anything about it vanishing...
The Federal government got rid of it pretty recently...so basically there's no federal funding for grad schools anymore, which if you think about it is a pretty dumb move since that's the only way most people can afford to go to grad school in the first place. Anyways, from what I understand, the only way to get money is through scholarships from the university (which are few) and outside funding through loans (aka banks). I think the stafford loans may apply for grad school if you qualify for them, but not positive on that.

I believe what you are referring to is the fact that graduate school loans will no longer be subsidized. Federal Direct Loans up to 20,500 are still available for graduate s5tudies (more for certain health professions, not PT), as well as GradPlus loans to cover what remains after direct loans are exhausted. You scared me for a minute there!

I'm afraid you're mistaken on that one. Federal loans still exist for graduate school, but they are no longer subsidized (as in: the government will not be paying the interest rates for you while you're in school or out of school).

Ah ok, disregard my previous comment. I was relaying rumors I had heard recently.

hey all,

today i received an email from steve jones saying i've been placed on the waitlist for a potential late interview after January 1, 2012. sadly, it wasn't the news i was hoping for but it's neither good nor bad news. the email went on to say if i'm not able to gain a seat for the May class, i will be reconsidered for admission in september 2012. anyone else get an email like this? i wonder how many of these they sent out. i also wonder that the people that received this email would be guaranteed an interview for september 2012. anyone have any thoughts?

GradPlus does exist, but USA removed themselves from the program. The only loans they offer are the 20500 federal and the Sallie Mae Smart Option. I was accepted to the program and had to withdraw because I wasn't able to find a co-signer for the smart option loan. USA basically told me either I find a way to get the loan or withdraw. They were extremely unhelpful. I was really put off by that. So, if you are relying on GradPlus loans, they aren't available at USA.

Seriously!? GradPlus is a government funded loan, how/why would USA not participate/accept it?

I'll call USA tomorrow, not that I mistrust you, but it just doesn't seem feasible. Though if this is true, then that makes it easier to decide where to apply.

That's insane. If GradPlus is not available, someone can take my spot. In fact, I have reconsidered Saint Augustine although this is the only school I have applied for.

1) I have been thinking about it a lot lately, the debt accumulated by attending Saint Augustine will be in the excess of 100-120k+ WITH interest accruing the day you start.
2) After graduating, you will probably obtain a job around 50-60k starting. After tax, you will be taking home 35-45k with about a 1-1,500 loan repayment PER month for a long, long time.
3) The DPT will not translate to higher salaries immediately, if ever, as insurance reimbursements for Physical Therapist are decreasing. The DPT was more of a way for the profession to gain respect/street cred in the lines of optometrists, dentists, and other autonomous caregivers. By making the profession a clinical entry level doctorate, it leaves little room for advancement or to specialize.

/long rant

My point is you should go to a cheaper school if you have the choice. I am seriously considering waiting another agonizing year to save potentially 50-60k.

I realize this is many peoples 'dream' career but there are more feasible ways of obtaining the degree than going to a 'for-profit'

The way I was going to manage it is IBR all the way. I figure I'll still be making more than I am now even with the payments, but the fact that the debt forgiven after 20/25 years is taxed frightens me. I should think by the time any of this actually happens legislation would be in place changing that, as nobody has actually reached the maturity of that forgiveness period yet.

good luck to everyone who is camping out in hotels in st. augustine :)

Omg it's true.... St. Augustine doesn't participate in the Grad Plus Loan Program!

When I was there for the interview, we got a chance to ask students questions we had and someone asked about how they pay for school and they all seemed to be able to manage it well (with a lot of budgeting). Of course, it's not going to be easy, but no matter where you go, getting your DPT will not be cheap (even at some of the small places). Also, while I was in the interview, the director of admissions told my mom that many PT clinics will offer full school repayment in exchange for a certain number of years of work at their clinics (especially for USA students). Clinics want USA graduates because they have shown to be much more competent than other students/graduates, and so they will do what it takes to hire USA grads. If you want to get a good idea of just how easy it is to get a job after USA graduation, look on the MyUSA portion of the website and they have a huge list of current job offerings for USA students. A lot of this comes back to the good reputation that USA has with all clinics they have worked with.

To address the DPT vs. MPT issue, from what I understand, everywhere schools are quickly shifting to DPTs rather than MPTs, and DPTs are becoming the standard. So if I were considering the job market after your 2-3 years of grad school, I would consider the fact that most of your competition will have a higher degree than you (if you have a Masters), which many clinics would probably consider a weakness. That extra year means that they have an extra year of study, and so they will have more knowledge and experience from the start, which usually would put you out of the running for a job. Also, that's less education that THEY have to pay to bring you up to speed with other PTs, and they can pay for you to get extra specializations/certifications rather than paying for you to get your doctorate from which you can then specialize. In general, it's just more advantageous to go ahead and get the DPT, and in the long run, you might consider the fact that the value of education is continually going up, and so that extra year of education that you might get later would cost you more in the long run than if you had gone ahead and gotten it while becoming a PT. It's also extra time away from work if you get it later, whereas if you get a DPT from USA now, it's only 2 yrs & 4 months and you get it all out of the way.

As for reconsidering the decision to go to USA based on costs, it comes down to priorities. I find a better education from USA much more important than the difficulties I will have in paying for it afterwards. If you truly want to go to USA, you will find a way to work it out.

If you're just looking to get by in the PT field, then sure, go somewhere else. USA caters more to students who want to be earth-shakers in the field, which is exactly why I want to go there. I don't just want to be a PT, I want to make changes and better the profession and in order to do so, I need to know everything that I can possibly know coming out of school. I also want to have valuable connections with PTs who have already made big changes in the field, and USA gives me that opportunity since it is a student-centered rather than research-centered institution. I want to really make a difference in the profession, and so USA is perfect for me.

Like I said, it all comes down to priorities. If you want to be a standout in the field, USA will prepare you better than almost any other school (possibly better than ANY). However, if you just want to be an average PT working in an average clinic with an average salary, then maybe USA isn't for you.

When I was there for the interview, we got a chance to ask students questions we had and someone asked about how they pay for school and they all seemed to be able to manage it well (with a lot of budgeting). Of course, it's not going to be easy, but no matter where you go, getting your DPT will not be cheap (even at some of the small places). Also, while I was in the interview, the director of admissions told my mom that many PT clinics will offer full school repayment in exchange for a certain number of years of work at their clinics (especially for USA students).

If you're just looking to get by in the PT field, then sure, go somewhere else. USA caters more to students who want to be earth-shakers in the field, which is exactly why I want to go there. I don't just want to be a PT, I want to make changes and better the profession and in order to do so, I need to know everything that I can possibly know coming out of school.

Like I said, it all comes down to priorities. If you want to be a standout in the field, USA will prepare you better than almost any other school (possibly better than ANY). However, if you just want to be an average PT working in an average clinic with an average salary, then maybe USA isn't for you.

Thanks for the reply but I think it's quite judgemental to assume that by not attending USA I desire to be an "average pt working in an average clinic with an average salary". After touring the campus, and being impressed by the professionalism of the students...I agree that Saint Aug is a great program. No reason to go on the offensive. But, it is false to think you will be shortchanging yourself by considering cheaper or other options. I think each school caters to different things so there is no way to determine which school is the "best" as the scope of Physical Therapy is so wide.

I started typing some big thing about how expensive it was but then I stopped myself because I see that your very passionate about Physical Therapy, as am I. Everyone has different financial obligations so don't mind my venting. A lot of my concerns were before I went down the interview, still some linger about the cost but it is comforting to know that you will be readily prepared after graduation.

P.S- I've never heard of jobs offering loan repayment for 100k+ but if you have links, I would love to see them hahaha. :smuggrin:

Also Merher,

Do you know the differences between the DPT and MPT, like curriculum wise? Do you know why PT is transitioning towards the doctorate and why APTA determined that it was necessary.

I was curious your stance on that and what your thoughts were on the training. Not being argumentative.

(redacted)...

Last edited:
In the MPT vs. DPT issue, I think getting ur MPT is more beneficial if u can get it. Not many schools offer MPTs anymore and they are very competitive to get into. The reason being is that MPT programs are state programs and u can get funding for them. U will be walking out essentially with the same degree without the salary to debt ratio. I had this question when I was applying to programs and every PT told me it doesn't matter if u have a DPT or a MPT. As long as u have ur license and u seem like a good candidate u r good to go. Also, as a licensed physical therapist u have to take ur share of evidence based classes every yr. In saying that, taking ur transitional DPT will supplement for those classes. Eventually we will only have schools offering DPT, why not take advantage now of the opportunity of getting a great education with no debt.

Thanks for the reply but I think it's quite judgemental to assume that by not attending USA I desire to be an "average pt working in an average clinic with an average salary". After touring the campus, and being impressed by the professionalism of the students...I agree that Saint Aug is a great program. No reason to go on the offensive. But, it is false to think you will be shortchanging yourself by considering cheaper or other options. I think each school caters to different things so there is no way to determine which school is the "best" as the scope of Physical Therapy is so wide.

I started typing some big thing about how expensive it was but then I stopped myself because I see that your very passionate about Physical Therapy, as am I. Everyone has different financial obligations so don't mind my venting. A lot of my concerns were before I went down the interview, still some linger about the cost but it is comforting to know that you will be readily prepared after graduation.

P.S- I've never heard of jobs offering loan repayment for 100k+ but if you have links, I would love to see them hahaha. :smuggrin:
fejin757, you are right. It was judgmental of me to assume that someone would want to be a mediocre PT because they wished to go elsewhere. I believe very strongly that USA gives the best preparation for a career in physical therapy (especially if you want to specialize in manual therapy), and because I believe so strongly, I tend to want to defend the program against any criticism. I hope I didn't offend you. I am an extremely loyal person, so sometimes I get a bit carried away. I truly do believe that the marketability of USA graduates outranks all (or at least most) other graduates, and so I see that as a huge advantage in a competitive job market (even given the amount of open positions in PT). After observing at various places, I have also developed a dislike for the complacency of many PTs, and so I guess my rant about mediocre PTs reflects my intense fear of becoming one myself. Ridiculous, I know.

As for the shift to DPT, (according to therapyjobs.com) it is a part of the APTA's "Vision 2020," which are a series of goals they want to achieve by 2020, including making physical therapy "provided by physical therapists who are doctors of physical therapy." So basically, they are trying to make it so that patients can have direct access to us without a doctor's referral (kind of a cool idea). It does, however, say that on their survey, only 1/4 of those surveyed with a DPT earned more than with an MPT, but many said initially it does increase respect from patients (although most respect is earned over time with treatment).

The biggest difference between curriculums that I can find is just more time in the classroom in DPT, versus MPT, and the same amount of clinical experience. For me, this just means that I have more time to cram info and techniques into my brain with the DPT before I go out on my own, so I can have more of a foundation to build upon in the years to come. Also, if Vision 2020 is completed, (in my understanding), those PTs with MPTs will need to go back and get their DPTs in order to continue practicing, so that's less education for my boss to have to pay for, which makes me more marketable.

On the loan repayment issue, I know that the Navy has a program where after passing the exam, you sign on to work on a base for 3 years and they pay around $30,000 (possibly more, can't remember the exact figure) towards your school for two of those years, and at the same time you get paid a Lieutenant's salary ($87,000/yr) for each of the three years. I think the Army & Air Force also have similar programs to get PTs to work on their bases. I don't know how long these programs will be in effect, especially with the recent military cutbacks, but for now, they are still in place. Also, in the folder we were given at the interviews, they recommend speaking with individual clinics back home about help with loans (I don't know the extent of that "help" but I would guess it would depend on the clinic). I've also heard about programs that Florida and other states do where they offer to pay off your schooling if you sign on to work in areas of "high need" in their states (usually big cities) for a certain amount of time. The disadvantage with that is that you don't have a say in where you go, but it's still a pretty sweet deal. Another alternative is to work as a traveling PT through MedTravelers or a similar company, in which they pay for your room & board and you usually get paid around $90,000 and sometimes into the triple digits per year. With that kind of salary, if you live frugally, you could pay off student loans in a few years. Some of those actually let you choose where you want to go too, so if you have the travel bug, it's a pretty good way to get to see the states and get your school paid off quickly.

Basically, if you really want to go to somewhere like USA, you can make it happen if you check out all the options.

Reactions: 1 user
Hey, I appreciate the thought out response. I too, have seen a lot of complacency during my observation hours which sucks. We just lost a basketball game so I don't have the energy to write a long response but I actually work for the Navy now as a civilian and planned on entering the military after PT school.

In fact, I spoke with a Navy Officer Medical Recruiter today and he told me that PA,OT,and other healthcare fields are all offered loan repayments and an active duty during school gig. But, currently there is no such need for PT outside of the Navy Baylor program.

I'll respond in depth tom.