University of St. Augustine- Summer 2017

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Has anyone heard back from the Nov 18th interview at the Augustine campus?
I have been checking my email nonstop and driving myself crazy lol ;)

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 users
Has anyone heard back from the Nov 18th interview at the Augustine campus?
I have been checking my email nonstop and driving myself crazy lol ;)
I interviewed at the San Marcos campus on 11/18 and I recently spoke with someone that said decisions will be ready this Friday or early next week.

I interviewed at the San Marcos campus on 11/18 and I recently spoke with someone that said decisions will be ready this Friday or early next week.
I can't wait another weekend. :dead:

Members don't see this ad :)
I know right?! It's painful!
Do you by any chance know how many people get waitlisted? I know 65 are accepted, but prob not all 65 candidate's 1st choice is USA.

Do you by any chance know how many people get waitlisted? I know 65 are accepted, but prob not all 65 candidate's 1st choice is USA.
It sounded to me like the size of the waitlist just depends on how many people they believe are qualified.

Reactions: 1 user
Nice! How is Texas State? Just out of curiosity, what makes you lean towards St. Augustine when Texas State only costs half of St. Augustine?

Yeah so both have their Pros and Cons, so regardless it's gonna be a tough choice. But for me, my family lives in Austin so I'm going to live with them while in grad school so St. Augustine would only be 10 min away from my house as opposed to 45 min (maybe more with traffic) to Texas State. Also St. Augustine allows you to graduate in 2 1/2 years as opposed to 3. They also allow you to get the work done for a certification in Manual therapy while in school so all you have to do after you graduate is take the exam for it.
But when I look at the flip-side, Texas State is 1/2 the cost (if not even less) and they also have really good connections and alumni base which stays active in the PT community. From what I heard from some current students, the professors also are a lot about their students. Unfortunately, I just went for the interview portion and didn't have time to get a tour and ask a lot of questions so I didn't get the complete feel for Texas State like I did with St. Augustine.
But overall thats why I'm leaning towards St. Augustine.

Looking at threads from previous years, I don't have high hopes that we will hear back from the San Marcos campus tomorrow... I really hope to be proven wrong though! ;)

Last edited:
Looking at threads from previous years, I don't have high hopes that we will hear back from the San Marcos campus tomorrow... I really hope to be proven wrong though! ;)
If not tomorrow it will be early next week. I talked to Diana. I literally can't wait any longer :eek: haha

I've checked my email 5x today already.

I have been doing the same thing as well! They usually update the portal first, so check the portal too!

I just called, they are now saying that it will be 3-4 weeks from Nov. 18th minimum before decisions will be made.

Members don't see this ad :)
Yeah I got a call yesterday to verify things on my application and I asked when a decision would be made. I was told 2-3 more weeks but it could come as early as next week.

Nobody has heard from Augustine campus yet ?

We will be hearing either right before Christmas, like Dec 23, or in the first 2 weeks of January, per Emily during the Dec 2 interviews. I believe that goes for everyone, including the Nov 18 group.

We will be hearing either right before Christmas, like Dec 23, or in the first 2 weeks of January, per Emily during the Dec 2 interviews. I believe that goes for everyone, including the Nov 18 group.
This seems strange, they've repeatedly told the Nov.18th group that it would be around 3 weeks. If true I'd be pretty disappointed.

I know for the Austin group, they told us 1-3 weeks but I'm just gonna go ahead and say that we'll all probably hear back around the same time. I honestly thought it would be before Dec.15 since that's the day the Fall apps are due and it gives everyone time to make a decision in regards to acceptances, wait list/ moving apps over to the fall, etc. However, it appears that will probably not be the case. Hang in there fellow comrades. It's been a taxing process but I hope we all get the news we want!!!

Reactions: 2 users
Austin Campus as of 2 mins ago

" At this time, candidates are still under review. It appears that we will be sending out final decisions next week. I apologize for the delay, but we do not final decisions finalized.

I am hoping to have final decisions out by next week...if that helps any.

I will be sending out final decisions as soon as they are ready. "

I was one of the last minute interviews for Spring 2017, got waitlisted, so then bounced my application back to summer term.

Got this email from Jimmy Campos at the Austin campus about an hour ago:

"This email is to notify you that we are still in the process of finalizing final decisions for summer 2017 candidates from the November 18, 2016 Interview Day. Since we mentioned that final decisions would be out between 2 to 3 weeks after Interview Day, consider this your notification that although final decisions will not be sent within that timeframe, we are aiming to have final decisions sent out very soon."

"This email is to notify you that we are still in the process of finalizing final decisions for summer 2017 candidates from the November 18, 2016 Interview Day. Since we mentioned that final decisions would be out between 2 to 3 weeks after Interview Day, consider this your notification that although final decisions will not be sent within that timeframe, we are aiming to have final decisions sent out very soon."

How perfectly vague ;)
Nice that they've taken the time to keep you guys in the loop over in Austin though!

Last year for the Austin 2016 Summer cohort they updated our portals on the 14th of Dec. but then it disappeared on the 15th.. they were super shady about answering questions regarding that but the following week, the 21st they sent out emails. So fingers crossed you guys here back before Christmas. Good luck, I hope everyone gets the answers they want :D

Unfortunately, I just went for the interview portion and didn't have time to get a tour and ask a lot of questions so I didn't get the complete feel for Texas State like I did with St. Augustine.

I also got into Texas State, but during interview weekend I went to both the meet and greet and the orientation before the interview. It was AMAZING. During the meet and greet we got to talk with year 1 and year 2 students while eating some sandwiches and pizza. After that we all got into the amphithéâtre and the students presented "10 things not to do during your interview tomorrow" but they did it as a comedy skit and it was hilarious. They also had 3 or 4 students come talk to us about several things: commuting to school, handling stress, prioritizing relationships, etc :) the next day for the meet and greet we had breakfast with the students and got to talk with them as well and ask questions, after that we moved to the other room for the faculty interaction and every professor was introduced by a students, it was a light, funny, and warm atmosphere and you could REALLY tell that the professor cared for their students and that there was a genuine close bond. Out of all the interviews I went to it was my favorite by far :)
Also the program is moving to round rock, so it would be year 1 in San Marcos, year 2 in round rock (year 3 is clinicals)

I didn't apply to USA so I don't have a comparison point, but just thought I'd give you some insight about the rest of the interview weekend. :)
USA is very expensive. If you were to not live at home and rent an apartment in San Marcos and add the cost of an apartment, I feel like Texas State would still be cheaper. But maybe you have other or just personal reasons for wanting to live at home.

This seems strange, they've repeatedly told the Nov.18th group that it would be around 3 weeks. If true I'd be pretty disappointed.

She said that they don't add anyone to their admissions spreadsheet until after the 2nd interview date. Maybe they could still inform the Nov 18 people first though? But it has been 3 weeks as of now.

She said that they don't add anyone to their admissions spreadsheet until after the 2nd interview date. Maybe they could still inform the Nov 18 people first though? But it has been 3 weeks as of now.
Is the admission spreadsheet a score sheet

From looking at previous years' thread, it always took them about 4 weeks after the interview date to release the decision. So hopefully we get something next week.

Yeah so both have their Pros and Cons, so regardless it's gonna be a tough choice. But for me, my family lives in Austin so I'm going to live with them while in grad school so St. Augustine would only be 10 min away from my house as opposed to 45 min (maybe more with traffic) to Texas State. Also St. Augustine allows you to graduate in 2 1/2 years as opposed to 3. They also allow you to get the work done for a certification in Manual therapy while in school so all you have to do after you graduate is take the exam for it.
But when I look at the flip-side, Texas State is 1/2 the cost (if not even less) and they also have really good connections and alumni base which stays active in the PT community. From what I heard from some current students, the professors also are a lot about their students. Unfortunately, I just went for the interview portion and didn't have time to get a tour and ask a lot of questions so I didn't get the complete feel for Texas State like I did with St. Augustine.

Thanks for sharing! I hope you do get into St. Augustine. When do you have to notify Texas State by? I've been thinking about commuting too since I have been a commuter all my life so I have been asking alot of commuters about commuting in PT school. The consensus is that anything more than 30 mins is too much considering the amount of work you have to do for the school. I commuted about 35 miles each way to school during undergrad (anywhere between 40 mins to an hour each way) and 55 miles each way for work (anywhere between 1.5 hrs to 2 hrs each way). I absolutely hated my life for 55 miles commute each way and was already drained from the traffic and driving when I got to work. 35 was doable but I wished I didn't have to commute that much (I got to school really early and came home late at night to avoid the traffic and wasting time on the road). From my experience of commuting, I think about 15-20 miles would be okay for PT school but I strongly suggests against anything north of that. Most people underestimate commuting, (I did too and took that 100+ miles commute) but it drains you alot more than people think both physically and mentally. Plus, if you are going to be constantly running into the traffic, it is not good for your sanity as well. I don't know your exact situation, but I definitely suggest you to get a place near school if you do end up going to Texas State for above reasons. Anyways, good luck and let us know where you end up!

Is the admission spreadsheet a score sheet

Yes, the way I understood it. Sounds like they rank everyone on that sheet to find their top candidates. One odd thing, that I just remembered, is that the waitlisted people aren't ranked. Emily said that if they have a spot open up due to someone declining the acceptance, they pick randomly from the waitlist.

Thanks for sharing! I hope you do get into St. Augustine. When do you have to notify Texas State by? I've been thinking about commuting too since I have been a commuter all my life so I have been asking alot of commuters about commuting in PT school. The consensus is that anything more than 30 mins is too much considering the amount of work you have to do for the school. I commuted about 35 miles each way to school during undergrad (anywhere between 40 mins to an hour each way) and 55 miles each way for work (anywhere between 1.5 hrs to 2 hrs each way). I absolutely hated my life for 55 miles commute each way and was already drained from the traffic and driving when I got to work. 35 was doable but I wished I didn't have to commute that much (I got to school really early and came home late at night to avoid the traffic and wasting time on the road). From my experience of commuting, I think about 15-20 miles would be okay for PT school but I strongly suggests against anything north of that. Most people underestimate commuting, (I did too and took that 100+ miles commute) but it drains you alot more than people think both physically and mentally. Plus, if you are going to be constantly running into the traffic, it is not good for your sanity as well. I don't know your exact situation, but I definitely suggest you to get a place near school if you do end up going to Texas State for above reasons. Anyways, good luck and let us know where you end up!
Thanks I really appreciate the advice! Yeah I would prefer not to commute that far for Texas State, just thinking about it is driving me crazy. Yeah I think I'm gonna call St. Augustine on Monday and see if I can press them to let me know what my decision is. I have to let Texas State know by the 16th so it's coming up!

Yes, the way I understood it. Sounds like they rank everyone on that sheet to find their top candidates. One odd thing, that I just remembered, is that the waitlisted people aren't ranked. Emily said that if they have a spot open up due to someone declining the acceptance, they pick randomly from the waitlist.
I heard that too smh

Almost time to start checking my email 5,000 times per day

Almost time to start checking my email 5,000 times per day
Just saw your stats. You're like 100% gunna get in. Haha. Me on the other hand... just trying to stay positive:eek:

I know a lot of you guys are waiting on those decisions... Best of luck to you!!

I figured I'd ask a question here since it's an active thread (I'm applying to USA next year)... Can anyone tell me what they mean when they say they look at your "grade trend"? What different combinations of your GPA do they officially consider as part of their decision process? I know some schools look at your last 45/60, science GPA, etc. I know the prereq GPAs has the most weight at USA but I want to know if I should still be worried about my atrocious cGPA. Thanks in advance...

So I emailed Jimmy Campos at the Austin Campus last Friday about my time sensitive situation and he responded this morning:
"Thank you for that notification. I am planning to have decisions out by Wednesday. The Admissions Committee plans to have the decisions out this week. I will aim to have your decision out before Friday."
So sounds like most decisions will be sent out on Wednesday, so you can wait to check your email 5,000 times till then ;)

I know a lot of you guys are waiting on those decisions... Best of luck to you!!

I figured I'd ask a question here since it's an active thread (I'm applying to USA next year)... Can anyone tell me what they mean when they say they look at your "grade trend"? What different combinations of your GPA do they officially consider as part of their decision process? I know some schools look at your last 45/60, science GPA, etc. I know the prereq GPAs has the most weight at USA but I want to know if I should still be worried about my atrocious cGPA. Thanks in advance...

So I know for sure they look at cumulative and pre req GPA. But basically they just want to see that you are improving your grades over time and not doing worse. If there are any classes that you did poorly on, specifically in the pre-reqs, I would definitely retake the course as that will look really good for you. But at the end of the day, if your pre-req GPA is good, don't worry about your cumulative GPA

I just asked Emily Staub from the Augustine campus and this was her reply: ( I had my interview on Nov 18 by the way)

The admissions committee is meeting prior to the holiday break, however I do not know if I will be able to send out decisions before Christmas as I explained on your interview day.

I just asked Emily Staub from the Augustine campus and this was her reply: ( I had my interview on Nov 18 by the way)

The admissions committee is meeting prior to the holiday break, however I do not know if I will be able to send out decisions before Christmas as I explained on your interview day.
Sounds like we are getting mixed signals from Emily and Jimmy Campos.

Did anybody get an update from the San Marcos campus? @healthislife it looks like Emily said during the interview that decisions may be sent out after Christmas, which I don't remember hearing at the San Marcos campus so it could be different for each campus?

Did anybody get an update from the San Marcos campus? @healthislife it looks like Emily said during the interview that decisions may be sent out after Christmas, which I don't remember hearing at the San Marcos campus so it could be different for each campus?

I have contacted San Marcos today. They are hoping to send the decisions by the end of this week. Also, each campus has their own committee so decision time can vary.

So I know for sure they look at cumulative and pre req GPA. But basically they just want to see that you are improving your grades over time and not doing worse. If there are any classes that you did poorly on, specifically in the pre-reqs, I would definitely retake the course as that will look really good for you. But at the end of the day, if your pre-req GPA is good, don't worry about your cumulative GPA

Hey, thanks! I finished undergrad about 6 years ago. My cGPA is like, reeeally bad (probably below a 2.5 depending on what you count), but my prereq GPA is gonna be awesome (staying positive, lol). I'm mainly worried because I've been seeing everyone's stats here on the forum and it seems totally across the board. Some people have stellar GPAs and don't get in to USA, while I've heard others get in with 2.5 cGPAs. Anyway, I'll be applying to the Flex program hoping that's another factor that will help me.

Just saw your stats. You're like 100% gunna get in. Haha. Me on the other hand... just trying to stay positive:eek:
Thanks, but stats are only one part of the picture and St. Augustine is very holistic in their admissions!

Maybe we will get some news this friday...

I have contacted San Marcos today. They are hoping to send the decisions by the end of this week. Also, each campus has their own committee so decision time can vary.

This is absolute torture. Every time my phone rings my stomach does a backflip. Thanks for the info!

Stats:
Cum GPA: 3.58
Pre-Req GPA: 3.78
GRE: 317 (161-V, 156-Q)/5.5AW
Observations: 116 hrs - ortho

Last edited:
Thanks, but stats are only one part of the picture and St. Augustine is very holistic in their admissions!

You think st. augustine will only focus on the interview, since they already seen our academic side?

How did you feel about your interview?

I didn't apply to USA so I don't have a comparison point, but just thought I'd give you some insight about the rest of the interview weekend. :)
Thanks for the insight! That definitely helps to shed some light on the Texas State program! From what little I did see and from what you and others have told me they seem to have a very friendly, laid-back atmosphere with an emphasis on community which I think are great points to have as a program. This is gonna be a tough choice!

For those who interviewed at the San Marcos campus for the 2nd interview date, how many PT candidates were there?