University of St. Augustine Fall 2017

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Does anyone have the email address for Kim? I believe she is usually an advisor at the Austin campus but is currently at the San Marcos campus.

Members don't see this ad.

Hi all! I'm posting here because my application was recently switched to the Austin campus for the May 2017 term. I originally applied to the St. Augustine campus for their fall, September 2017 term but received a phone call yesterday asking if I wanted to switch my application over to the Austin campus. Just trying to get a feel for how many spots may still be available for the Austin campus. Has anyone done anything similar?

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi all! I'm posting here because my application was recently switched to the Austin campus for the May 2017 term. I originally applied to the St. Augustine campus for their fall, September 2017 term but received a phone call yesterday asking if I wanted to switch my application over to the Austin campus. Just trying to get a feel for how many spots may still be available for the Austin campus. Has anyone done anything similar?
There are a good amount of spots left for summer. Much more likely to be accepted applying for summer.

There are a good amount of spots left for summer. Much more likely to be accepted applying for summer.
I'm really hoping that's the case. Did you get that information from one of the advisers?

Austin usually takes awhile to fill their seats. San Marcos and St Augustine mostly fill their seats after the first interview session.

Reactions: 1 user
I'm really hoping that's the case. Did you get that information from one of the advisers?
Kind of but they weren't certain. Honestly I'd apply to st Augustine. That area is amazingly beautiful and its an all around better campus.

Kind of but they weren't certain. Honestly I'd apply to st Augustine. That area is amazingly beautiful and its an all around better campus.
I see. I agree St Aug is beautiful. I interviewed at that camp last year. If I had my choice I would stay in Florida as I am currently a Florida resident but at this point getting in is the biggest priority for me.

I see. I agree St Aug is beautiful. I interviewed at that camp last year. If I had my choice I would stay in Florida as I am currently a Florida resident but at this point getting in is the biggest priority for me.
Literally everyone in this chat is in the same boat man.

Reactions: 1 users
What are your stats anyways if you don't mind me asking.

Do you guys think they really care if you have way above 80 observation hours?

Do you guys think they really care if you have way above 80 observation hours?

I wouldn't think so. What's the difference between someone having 80 hours of outpatient experience versus someone with like 150? I've seen people on here say that have 1000 + hours so maybe if you have that many then that would catch their eye. I need to hear back from them so I can stop being a nervous wreck

Members don't see this ad :)
What are your stats anyways if you don't mind me asking.
cGPA: 3.03
pGPA: 3.73
Post Bacc. GPA: 3.88
GRE: 300, 4
Obs. Hrs: 113 inpatient volunteer, 1200+ outpatient volunteer/paid (PT tech)

If you have a higher chance of getting in and can live in Austin...go for it!
St Augustine I know has a huge pool of rejected candidates.
I did not get a phone call because I am doing my last two pre reqs till May 10th so I am not eligible to start early. But I did get an email.

cGPA: 3.03
pGPA: 3.73
Post Bacc. GPA: 3.88
GRE: 300, 4
Obs. Hrs: 113 inpatient volunteer, 1200+ outpatient volunteer/paid (PT tech)
If those stats are correct I see no reason that you wouldn't get into the st augustine campus. That's higher than their average acceptances.

If those stats are correct I see no reason that you wouldn't get into the st augustine campus. That's higher than their average acceptances.
Thanks. Well I certainly hope this is my year! What are your stats?

@ss1817 are you going to accept the switch of your application?

So if you get an interview but get waitlisted and never find a spot then that counts as a rejection?

Austin usually takes awhile to fill their seats. San Marcos and St Augustine mostly fill their seats after the first interview session.
I wonder why that is. Lack of number of applicants or quality of applicants? Is their first interview session smaller than the San Marcos and St Augustine sessions?

Thanks. Well I certainly hope this is my year! What are your stats?
I'm honestly not sure. I'm pretty sure they switched around the classes I put in to make me able to apply.
GRE is 301 4.0 though.

I'd honestly be upset if someone with a 293 GRE gets an invite and I don't (I've seen people with that get one). I only took the GRE once and got that. I've been tempted to retake. If I could do it all over again I would register on one of those take all your prereqs online sites and have a 4.0 lol.

Last edited:
I'm honestly not sure. I'm pretty sure they switched around the classes I put in to make me able to apply.
GRE is 301 4.0 though.

I'd honestly be upset if someone with a 293 GRE gets an invite and I don't (I've seen people with that get one). I only took the GRE once and got that. I've been tempted to retake. If I could do it all over again I would register on one of those take all your prereqs online sites and have a 4.0 lol.
I see. Well the nice thing about USA is they look at the applicants holistically and not just based on numbers. Obviously there are certain minimums applicants must meet but the same goes for every school. I drastically improved my application from the last time I applied by retaking prereqs, continuing with observation hours, getting new letters of rec, and retaking the GRE. I got an interview last year with less than mediocre GPAs so there must be something else they look at. As far as a school's admissions committee goes, there's no way to figure out the method to their madness; just have to put forth your best application possible.

I see. Well the nice thing about USA is they look at the applicants holistically and not just based on numbers. Obviously there are certain minimums applicants must meet but the same goes for every school. I drastically improved my application from the last time I applied by retaking prereqs, continuing with observation hours, getting new letters of rec, and retaking the GRE. I got an interview last year with less than mediocre GPAs so there must be something else they look at. As far as a school's admissions committee goes, there's no way to figure out the method to their madness; just have to put forth your best application possible.
Yeah. I retook a couple prereq classes and changed my Cs to As. Did you apply for that fall st Augustine campus last time?

So I'm guessing it is true that after you get an interview they then go over your full profile (gpa gre LORs ect) plus your interview score?... And it's not just exclusively based on how well you did in the interview.

Last edited:
Yeah. I retook a couple prereq classes and changed my Cs to As. Did you apply for that fall st Augustine campus last time?

So I'm guessing it is true that after you get an interview they then go over your full profile (gpa gre LORs ect) plus your interview score?... And it's not just exclusively based on how well you did in the interview.
Yes I did. I believe after the interview they go over all of your credentials (GPA, GRE, LOR, interview results, etc) and offer admittance based off of that. I do not know that to be fact though, just my assumption.

Yes I did. I believe after the interview they go over all of your credentials (GPA, GRE, LOR, interview results, etc) and offer admittance based off of that. I do not know that to be fact though, just my assumption.
Do you remember your stats from the first time? I'm just trying to see where I'm at lol.

Do you remember your stats from the first time? I'm just trying to see where I'm at lol.
I don't remember my exact stats from the first time. I know my cGPA was less than a 3.0 and my pGPA was lower too. Over the past year I've been retaking prereqs. Specifically this summer I took 18 credits and received all As so that really helped to boost my GPAs. It's difficult to bring up your cGPA when you have so many credit hours under your belt but I did the best I could with the time I had. I also continued working as a PT tech which gave me more observation hours. I'm hoping my efforts will pay off this application cycle.

I don't remember my exact stats from the first time. I know my cGPA was less than a 3.0 and my pGPA was lower too. Over the past year I've been retaking prereqs. Specifically this summer I took 18 credits and received all As so that really helped to boost my GPAs. It's difficult to bring up your cGPA when you have so many credit hours under your belt but I did the best I could with the time I had. I also continued working as a PT tech which gave me more observation hours. I'm hoping my efforts will pay off this application cycle.
They don't count commulative gpa. Just prereq gpa and last 45 semester credits is what they care about. Prereq gpa at 3.7 is really really good if you calculated it correctly (no labs, ECT). I'm in the same boat as you. I have 190 semester credit hours in undergrad.

Last edited:
They don't count commulative gpa. Just prereq gpa and last 45 semester credits is what they care about. Prereq gpa at 3.7 is really really good if you calculated it correctly (no labs, ECT). I'm in the same boat as you. I have 190 semester credit hours in undergrad.

If you've taken courses that are 4 credits with labs included (as opposed to having a separate grade for labs), do you know how that factors into the GPA? When I'm doing my own prereq GPA calculations for USA, should I just treat those as 3-credit courses? Might be an advisor question, but I thought I'd ask in case anyone knows.

Last edited:
If you've taken courses that are 4 credits with labs included (as opposed to having a separate grade for labs), do you know how that factors into the GPA? When I'm doing my own prereq GPA calculations for USA, should I just treat those as 3-credit courses? Might be an advisor question, but I thought I'd ask in case anyone knows.
No clue. I have the same question. Let me know what they tell you.

Okay, this is a random but I made the mistake of adding a "test" recommendation request on my application so I can see what the format looks like. I realized after the fact that I can't delete or cancel it myself. Ahhhh is this going to look bad? I e-mailed support hoping they can help me remove it, lol... I'm an idiot.

Last edited:
Okay, this is a random but I made the mistake of adding a "test" recommendation request on my application so I can see what the format looks like. I realized after the fact that I can't delete or cancel it myself. Ahhhh is this going to look bad? I e-mailed support hoping they can help me remove it, lol... I'm an idiot.
I think if you contact your admissions advisor he/she can remove it for you.

Hear anything about your summer Austin application interview yet?

Ok so I just got an email offering to send my application for summer rather than fall... there are spots open in San marcos but idk how many and how many people they are offering this to!!! What do I do I know my stats are definitely competitive but idk if I should risk it. Idk if my chances are better for the summer even though there are less spots or if I should stick with fall!! Ahhhhh! What do I dooooo?!?!

Ok so I just got an email offering to send my application for summer rather than fall... there are spots open in San marcos but idk how many and how many people they are offering this to!!! What do I do I know my stats are definitely competitive but idk if I should risk it. Idk if my chances are better for the summer even though there are less spots or if I should stick with fall!! Ahhhhh! What do I dooooo?!?!
I would personally take the chance on summer as I have heard it is less competitive. Remember by the time the summer cohort starts, a lot of people are still finishing up undergrad or they just finished and want summer break to enjoy some free time and prepare for grad school. I imagine that even if they did offer the same thing to a number of applicants, very few people would be able to accept.

I would personally take the chance on summer as I have heard it is less competitive. Remember by the time the summer cohort starts, a lot of people are still finishing up undergrad or they just finished and want summer break to enjoy some free time and prepare for grad school. I imagine that even if they did offer the same thing to a number of applicants, very few people would be able to accept.
Great point.. Yeah I think I'm going to go for it! I'm going to wait til I hear how many spots they have if it's more than 15 I'm definitely going to do it.

Hey guys just to add some information I got an email saying asking if I was available for an interview for jan 28 (Fall Austin). They should be sending official invites soon!

OK she got back to me.......
We have received enough applications to fill the May 2017 cohort. Admissions is just extending the offer to those who may have felt more keen to apply to the May term instead of Fall but missed the deadline. As mentioned, you may only choose one term and campus. Please let me know if you would like to stay in the Fall 2017 application pool or if you would like to be reviewed immediately for the May 2017 term so I know how to move forward with your application.

Im really not too sure how to take this. Is she saying they have all the spots filled in san marcos? Or that they have enough applications to possibly fill it and will be doing more interviews...???? Still so torn.

Hey guys just to add some information I got an email saying asking if I was available for an interview for jan 28 (Fall Austin). They should be sending official invites soon!
Dang. What were your USA stats? They only gave you 1 weeks notice? You sure it's for fall Austin? Flex or full time?

Last edited:
We have received enough applications to fill the May 2017 cohort. Admissions is just extending the offer to those who may have felt more keen to apply to the May term instead of Fall but missed the deadline. As mentioned, you may only choose one term and campus. Please let me know if you would like to stay in the Fall 2017 application pool or if you would like to be reviewed immediately for the May 2017 term so I know how to move forward with your application.

Im really not too sure how to take this. Is she saying they have all the spots filled in san marcos? Or that they have enough applications to possibly fill it and will be doing more interviews...???? Still so torn.

To me it sounds like they have enough applications, but not enough quality applicants which is why they're extending it to others. This is a huge assumption but I can't really think of another good reason why they would reach out like this...

To me it sounds like they have enough applications, but not enough quality applicants which is why they're extending it to others. This is a huge assumption but I can't really think of another good reason why they would reach out like this...
You're correct man. Of course they're going to have enough applicants for every single term every time. Just not always quality ones. I begged them to apply to summer but I didn't quality so I couldn't.

You're correct man. Of course they're going to have enough applicants for every single term every time. Just not always quality ones. I begged them to apply to summer but I didn't quality so I couldn't.

It's kind of interesting - I really want to know what their "cut-off" is for deciding who's quality and who isn't. Do that many people really not double-check to make sure they meet all the criteria?

It's kind of interesting - I really want to know what their "cut-off" is for deciding who's quality and who isn't. Do that many people really not double-check to make sure they meet all the criteria?
There aren't really any minimum gpa or gre minimum requirements so anyone can apply.

There aren't really any minimum gpa or gre minimum requirements so anyone can apply.
They do require a min 3.0 prereq GPA and 294 V/Q GRE. Their website also says they consider grade trend. Perhaps they had a lot of applicants with just the minimum requirements and that's why they're continuing to look for more.

Last edited:
They do require a min 3.0 prereq GPA and 294 V/Q GRE. Their website also says they consider grade trend. Perhaps they had a lot of applicants with just the minimum requirements and that's why they're continuing to look for more.

Yeah, definitely aware of their minimum requirements but I'm assuming most people know to meet those. So past that point of applicants meeting the minimums, I'm just wondering what their criteria are for "quality"...

If no one were to take them up on their offer to change cohorts, would they just end up with a smaller cohort, or would they "settle" for the people who had already applied? It's just weird to me when schools get this picky and tons of people are ready to pony up $100k to go there... I understand there's a standard to uphold, and I'm glad they're as "holistic" as they are, but come on... Honestly, I'd be a bit pissed if I found out that they were reaching out to other applicants when I had submitted by the appropriate deadline and met all the requirements. I'll make an analogy: it's like those people who aren't willing to commit to plans with friends until they're absolutely sure nothing better is going to come up.

Pardon me if I sound a bit cynical... I just think our whole education system is a bit whack to begin with.

Last edited:
Yeah, definitely aware of their minimum requirements but I'm assuming most people know to meet those. So past that point of applicants meeting the minimums, I'm just wondering what their criteria are for "quality"...

If no one were to take them up on their offer to change cohorts, would they just end up with a smaller cohort, or would they "settle" for the people who had already applied? It's just weird to me when schools get this picky and tons of people are ready to pony up $100k to go there... I understand there's a standard to uphold, and I'm glad they're as "holistic" as they are, but come on... Honestly, I'd be a bit pissed if I found out that they were reaching out to other applicants when I had submitted by the appropriate deadline and met all the requirements. I'll make an analogy: it's like those people who aren't willing to commit to plans with friends until they're absolutely sure nothing better is going to come up.

Pardon me if I sound a bit cynical... I just think our whole education system is a bit whack to begin with.
I can definitely understand where you're coming from. It seems impossible to me to figure out what these admission committees look for in applicants aside from the hard figures (GPAs, GREs, LOR, experience, etc). I would be upset too if I found out they were reaching out to other applicants, but at the same time they have the prerogative to do just that (unfortunately for anyone who may have been denied/waitlisted even if they met the minimum requirements).

I would think they do their best to fill all seats in each cohort so eventually they may have to "settle" with the applicant pool they have or reach out to applicants for other terms like they've been doing. I think making sure applicants in each cohort will make it through their program and eventually pass the NPTE is of top priority for the programs. But then again, it's anyone's guess.

I have decided to push my application up to summer.. there are people who have already been accepted for summer that have lower stats than I do so I figured why not go for it. I'm hoping I made the right decision because I really don't want to wait another 6 months to have to reapply.