University of St. Augustine Fall 2017

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

PWDPT

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone,
I sent my application for San Marcos Fall 2017 a few days ago. I was wondering what you all talked about in your statement of purpose. I mentioned manual therapy, Dr. Paris, their faculty, why i want to be a PT, my future plans, etc..
Im curious to see other applicants stats, feel free to post them if you'd like.
heres mine:
PTCAS cGPA: 2.98 :(
PTCAS pGPA: 3.23
Last 45 credits: ~3.6
USA pGPA: 3.65
GRE: (308) V:154 Q:154 W:3.5

Good luck everyone!

Members don't see this ad.

I talked about my experiences in different clinics and settings mostly and how my experience in college has affected me and lead me to PT. I didn't talk about their school at all in mine pretty much just followed what they asked for.
PTCAS cGPA: 3.56
PTCAS pGPA: 3.78
(both GPAs will go up a little bit after my fall transcripts are received)
Last 45 credits: ~3.9
GRE: (302) V:151 Q:151 W:4.0

Reactions: 1 user
I talked about my experiences in different clinics and settings mostly and how my experience in college has affected me and lead me to PT. I didn't talk about their school at all in mine pretty much just followed what they asked for.
PTCAS cGPA: 3.56
PTCAS pGPA: 3.78
(both GPAs will go up a little bit after my fall transcripts are received)
Last 45 credits: ~3.9
GRE: (302) V:151 Q:151 W:4.0
I felt like the the essay prompt asks for a lot to fit into 3 pages, past experiences, why we are choosing USA, familiarities with the profession, our vision for our growth. I talked about my past experiences with my observations and my own experiences with PT, I talked about Dr. Paris' 3 pillars of a profession: collaborative relationships in research, clinical practice, and education. I mentioned USA's dedication to hands on skills, clinical experience, and manual therapy. Their diverse faculty, their vision for the profession. It was just about 1200 words. Im wondering if other people mentioned USA and the program in their essay...

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey guys. I've applied for the Fall 2017 cohort at the St Augustine campus. I'm around 5 hours away and took it upon myself to tour and show that I was interested before submitting and completing my application. I asked faculty and students question and gained some great advice and info regarding my application. Anyways, why I'm telling you this is because I started off my Personal statement with my tour experience and what I took from it. I also had therapy under a previous alumni of the DPT program, and eventually went on to intern under the same PT. I was personable yet stayed in touch with their mission statement and beliefs.

Hi guys.
My Undergraduate and Masters are ancient and from Amsterdam so I have an evaluation from NACES
My pre reqs are 4.0
Last 45 credits about 3.9
I don't have many observation hours at all...about 145 and pretty much only in pediatrics. I am completing more but I think that is my weakness.
I did not have to do the GRE as I have a masters already,
I was told once the transcripts arrive there is a 3 week admin time to process these.
So I suppose I will not hear till at least mid February. As my fall transcripts only just came out last week.
I would like to open a clinic for children and that is what I wrote about in the the personal statement.

I am very nervous as I have not applied elsewhere really. This college is my first choice for many reasons. I would like to get rejected here before I even try elsewhere.

Hi guys.
My Undergraduate and Masters are ancient and from Amsterdam so I have an evaluation from NACES
My pre reqs are 4.0
Last 45 credits about 3.9
I don't have many observation hours at all...about 145 and pretty much only in pediatrics. I am completing more but I think that is my weakness.
I did not have to do the GRE as I have a masters already,
I was told once the transcripts arrive there is a 3 week admin time to process these.
So I suppose I will not hear till at least mid February. As my fall transcripts only just came out last week.
I would like to open a clinic for children and that is what I wrote about in the the personal statement.

I am very nervous as I have not applied elsewhere really. This college is my first choice for many reasons. I would like to get rejected here before I even try elsewhere.
Oh And I applied to the St Augustine Campus

Why are you guys listing your ptcas GPAs? USA has completely different criteria such as they don't take lab GPA into account.
Oh And I applied to the St Augustine Campus
If those stats are legit then you should have no problem getting an interview.

If anyone has gotten an interview what questions do they ask you?

Thats right lab's don't count towards the pre req GPA and neither does your medical terminology grade.
But when taken the last 42 credits I believe the labs do count
Also they work with one point increments. The don't consider the plus or minus.

Hey everyone. I applied to the St Augustine campus. Does anyone know if you can apply to multiple campuses? Also, I was told it takes at least 6 weeks from the application deadline (December 15th) to hear a decision.

Thats right lab's don't count towards the pre req GPA and neither does your medical terminology grade.
But when taken the last 42 credits I believe the labs do count
Also they work with one point increments. The don't consider the plus or minus.
That's all correct except medical terminology does count and is also a required prereq.

That's all correct except medical terminology does count and is also a required prereq.
When I visited the St Augustine Campus the admissions director told me that M term does count as a pre req but when taking the average of the pre reqs the grade is not counted for M term

Members don't see this ad :)
You can only apply to only one. I hate that rule because the should just strive to have the best academic pool possible, not make it into a semi luck contest of picking the least competitive pool. But maybe they look at everyone in all campuses and that's how they send the invites because if you do get wait listed you can get an invite from any of the locations which would then make it very fair.
I did ask if I were to be strategic...what would be the best policy. And I was told to apply to Miami, I think it recently got accredited and many ppl still don't know that that so don't apply for it. Also I was told in general the spring term and the flex programs are much less competitive.
Also if you get rejected and want to apply again there have to be 6 months in between the deadlines

I did ask if I were to be strategic...what would be the best policy. And I was told to apply to Miami, I think it recently got accredited and many ppl still don't know that that so don't apply for it. Also I was told in general the spring term and the flex programs are much less competitive.
Also if you get rejected and want to apply again there have to be 6 months in between the deadlines

You applied to Miami? Is Emily and Erin in charge of Miami? I think they only have half the seats as the normal campuses do though. I can tell you though that the flex DPT program is a lot less competitive. I got an invite to it for fall but didn't get an invite to st Augustine campus for spring.... That should tell you something lol. I improved my gpa a good bit and am reapplying to Texas. Wish there was a I don't care which campus option. I have to apply to none ptcas schools because ptcas messes up my gpa horrifically as I used to be an engineering student and was going for Cs get degrees back then.

If you can do the flex dpt program I highly recommend switching to that if you're worried about getting in.

Last edited:
You applied to Miami? Is Emily and Erin in charge of Miami? I think they only have half the seats as the normal campuses do though. I can tell you though that the flex DPT program is a lot less competitive. I got an invite to it for fall but didn't get an invite to st Augustine campus for spring.... That should tell you something lol. I improved my gpa a good bit and am reapplying to Texas. Wish there was a I don't care which campus option. I have to apply to none ptcas schools because ptcas messes up my gpa horrifically as I used to be an engineering student and was going for Cs get degrees back then.

If you can do the flex dpt program I highly recommend switching to that if you're worried about getting in.

When you got an invite for fall but not for spring... what did that mean? Sorry I don't follow lol

That it's much easier to get into flex no matter what trimester you apply in.

Gotcha. That's good to know. We're in the same boat, I think. I'm definitely applying for the flex program, though I wonder how much less competitive it actually is (if you were to quantify it)? I just hope it's enough for them to look past my terrible undergrad gpa.

Gotcha. That's good to know. We're in the same boat, I think. I'm definitely applying for the flex program, though I wonder how much less competitive it actually is (if you were to quantify it)? I just hope it's enough for them to look past my terrible undergrad gpa.
If you have a 3.0 in last 45 credit hours and prerequiset gpa then I think you have a good chance for the flex.

I'm applying for the full term. I don't live near a campus and don't want to pay for an extra 1.5yrs in rent.

If you have a 3.0 in last 45 credit hours and prerequiset gpa then I think you have a good chance for the flex.

I definitely don't have a 3.0 in my last 45 hours, sadly. It's weird - my grades were all across the board (like, I got an A+ and an F for different classes in the same semester) so someone looking at it might not know what to think. I finished college about 7 years ago, though, and have taken all of my prereqs in the past year. I really hope they view everything as "holistically" as people say and put much more weight on the prereqs...

I definitely don't have a 3.0 in my last 45 hours, sadly. It's weird - my grades were all across the board (like, I got an A+ and an F for different classes in the same semester) so someone looking at it might not know what to think. I finished college about 7 years ago, though, and have taken all of my prereqs in the past year. I really hope they view everything as "holistically" as people say and put much more weight on the prereqs...

I think the first thing they look at is your prereq gpa. As long as you're above a 3 there you should have a chance and also above a 294 total GRE score. You and I are in the same boat as far as career changers go. If you get an interview use that to your advantage.

At first I really wanted to do a full time program but as time goes on, I like the idea of the flex dpt as an option. I have some undergrad debt as well as some other forms of debt I want to get rid of. I hate the idea of getting an insane amount in loans just to cover not only school, but rent, and the debt I already have. I do not mind the extra year at all and since it is prorated it is much easier to manage. Thanks for the advice on the program guys! (although the advice was not directed towards me per se lol)

how less competitive is it though? i would competitive for everything except places that calculate the ptcas cum gpa as verbatim because i retook a bunch of classes for my undergrad..as well as three prereqs.

i have everything needed to be competitive so if the flex program looked at an application as a whole I am good to go. especially if it is less competitive.

If the last things you took were your prereqs then your prereq gpa would make most of your last 45 gpa... Lol

If the last things you took were your prereqs then your prereq gpa would make most of your last 45 gpa... Lol

I asked an advisor that question and she said it's the last 45 of undergrad :( I was really hoping it would be the last 45 of prereqs haha

I kind of wish I did flex. Full time is intense. Taking 7 classes a semester.

Reactions: 1 user

I applied in St Augustine, I have a family and a child with Autism and jakcsonville has amazing schools for autism. Miami is much less child friendly and and I have three kids also the private schools in jacksonville are cheaper so I can't really go for Miami, if I get rejected I may consider it

I applied in St Augustine, I have a family and a child with Autism and jakcsonville has amazing schools for autism. Miami is much less child friendly and and I have three kids also the private schools in jacksonville are cheaper so I can't really go for Miami, if I get rejected I may consider it
That's tough man. Good on you though. I couldn't imagine doing it with any kids. Although I think a lot of people are in your situation. I was touring with a couple and their kid and both of them were trying to do the flex OT program.

If I could go back I'd accept the flex invite but I'd rather do full time. I'm single with no kids. Literally going to eat and drink stimulants and study for 2yrs. I just finished 190 semester credit hours so I'm really used to the college life to say the least. I have a lot of big dreams for PT. Like I completely want to change how PT is done with the ideas I have for the profession. I hope they don't think I'm crazy. I know what the school is about yet I'd also like faculty that can be supportive and give me connections to APTA. Honestly the best thing about everyone going into PT at this time is I'm predicting we're about to be on the front line of some massive profession changes.

Honestly if you'd like you can give me your stats and id let you know what I think. You've literally applied to the most competitive campus during the most competitive time.

Last edited:
Does anyone know if they waitlist applicants to roll over to the next application deadline?

Does anyone know if they waitlist applicants to roll over to the next application deadline?
I have known from previous forums that has happened to people. But the advisor when I visited said that the waitlist can last forever. I am not sure what their policy is for it now

That's tough man. Good on you though. I couldn't imagine doing it with any kids. Although I think a lot of people are in your situation. I was touring with a couple and their kid and both of them were trying to do the flex OT program.

If I could go back I'd accept the flex invite but I'd rather do full time. I'm single with no kids. Literally going to eat and drink stimulants and study for 2yrs. I just finished 190 semester credit hours so I'm really used to the college life to say the least. I have a lot of big dreams for PT. Like I completely want to change how PT is done with the ideas I have for the profession. I hope they don't think I'm crazy. I know what the school is about yet I'd also like faculty that can be supportive and give me connections to APTA. Honestly the best thing about everyone going into PT at this time is I'm predicting we're about to be on the front line of some massive profession changes.

Honestly if you'd like you can give me your stats and id let you know what I think. You've literally applied to the most competitive campus during the most competitive time.
This is my second career I already have a doctoral in Economics and I worked in finance for years.
My pre reqs are 4.0 GPA and last 45 about 3.9 My undergrad and masters are very old and from a different country so it is an evaluation from Amsterdam
I didn't have to do my GRE because I already have a doctoral. So I got an exemption.
My weakness is observation hours...I have about 150 but only in pediatrics outpatient. I am still doing observation hours but they won't show up on my application till February March
If I don't get in I will try one more time before I go elsewhere.

The advisor told me they don't roll it over. It's considered a rejection. And remember once you get TWO rejections from any campus then you are no longer allowed to apply to the program. And that goes for any location and not two rejections at one or flex. But I've heard of them recommending people to hold off and apply for an earlier admissions depending if there were space available and within the deadline.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

how less competitive is it though? i would competitive for everything except places that calculate the ptcas cum gpa as verbatim because i retook a bunch of classes for my undergrad..as well as three prereqs.

i have everything needed to be competitive so if the flex program looked at an application as a whole I am good to go. especially if it is less competitive.

Went to the San Marcos tour and the advisor was from Austin. She said Miami is the least competitive right now because of how new it is. Some people don't even know they have a campus. And she said that they will be having a full class size this upcoming fall trimester.

Went to the San Marcos tour and the advisor was from Austin. She said Miami is the least competitive right now because of how new it is. Some people don't even know they have a campus. And she said that they will be having a full class size this upcoming fall trimester.

Which one are you applying for? Lol

Last edited:
San Marcos. It was just weird that they had an advisor there from Austin. But it's probably because it was the holiday time.

Do you mind sharing your stats??? I also applied to San Marcos. Good luck to you! We should be hearing in another 2 or 3 weeks!

San Marcos. It was just weird that they had an advisor there from Austin. But it's probably because it was the holiday time.

I think the advisor from San Marcos is still on maternity leave so other advisors have been covering for her!

I feel like the Austin one, Kimberly is the most up front. Everyone else doesn't want to tell you too many details.

I think everyone would agree if they had a apply for any campus option that would be by far the most popular.

After browsing many posts from the past USA threads I've seen A lot of waitlisted ppl eventually get in or rolled over.

Reactions: 1 users
Let me know when you guys start hearing back. I just got off the phone and they told me 6 to 12 weeks lol.

Let me know when you guys start hearing back. I just got off the phone and they told me 6 to 12 weeks lol.
Ughhhhhh:( seriously?! That stinks. The past years usually had their interview dates for fall around late February. I figured they would keep it consistent. I wonder if they will go through some fall applications and send out interviews to fill in the summer term.... is it all campuses that are still accepting for summer?

Ughhhhhh:( seriously?! That stinks. The past years usually had their interview dates for fall around late February. I figured they would keep it consistent. I wonder if they will go through some fall applications and send out interviews to fill in the summer term.... is it all campuses that are still accepting for summer?
That's a possibility. No just Austin.

The first time I applied we herd back 2 weeks later. I think we'll hear back within a month. No one really knows.

That's a possibility. No just Austin.

The first time I applied we herd back 2 weeks later. I think we'll hear back within a month. No one really knows.
All we can do is wait and hope for the best! Good luck to you all.

That is what I heard too