University of Oklahoma -- everyone welcome -- Part 3

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I kid because I love. BTW your friends hired me to "entertain" at your bachelorette party. Should I wax?

:laugh::laugh:

I think I will have to turn you down. My SO has been forbidden to have a private dancer, so it would be a bit of a double standard if I had one. Thanks for the offer though :D ;). My friends and I will be going to Night Trips for my bachelorette party earlier in the evening, then out to a club, at which time my SO gets to go to night trips w/his friends. He thought we ought to just have our parties together, but that kinda defeats the purpose, no?

Just wanted to say I am feeling incredibly overwhelmed by anatomy lab at the moment. There is soooooooooooooo much stuff in the head/neck that 3 weeks isn't nearly enough time to learn what every structure is, where it goes, where it came from... yadda yadda. I think I am going to spend my entire weekend just staring at Netters, and then I may have to go and spend non-lab hours at the lab. I may ask for O'don's help again... a little one-on-one tutorial, but I know far less this time than last and he'll think I'm a ***** :(. No me gusta anatomy ahora. To add to that, I HATE learning biochemical pathways (glucose - glucose 1-phosphate - glucose-6-phosphate etc). I think that is by far the biggest Fing waste of time on the planet. At least the anatomy stuff is applicable. I'm not going into genetics, I don't need to know every possible metabolic disorder out there. :thumbdown: I had started to hate school less for the week or so after TB1, but I'm starting to hate it again. :(

end rant...

I dont know if we need to know structures but to remember glucose you just flick someone off...figure that one out!:thumbup:

Members don't see this ad :)
So did they say anything about when you guys will hear from them?

I said in the pre-allo okie thread, but in case someone didn't read it, we should be notified of a decision within 10 days. I'm soooo glad I don't have to wait a month; however, I don't think I'll know anything before next week, because if I recall correctly, AMCAS "recommends" that a medical school is not able to notify an applicant of an acceptance before Oct. 15. Am I right on this one?

Just wanted to say I am feeling incredibly overwhelmed by anatomy lab at the moment. There is soooooooooooooo much stuff in the head/neck that 3 weeks isn't nearly enough time to learn what every structure is, where it goes, where it came from... yadda yadda.

To add to that, I HATE learning biochemical pathways (glucose - glucose 1-phosphate - glucose-6-phosphate etc).

I totally agree. Except that I'm more overwhelmed by biochem than anatomy right now. Maybe starting out nice and easy in biochem wasn't the best way to do it... :(

So Bagel, has anybody said anything about the legislation? Most of the students I've spoken to have no opinion. They either don't care because their parents are paying for their school or believe that they will be so rich someday that none of this matters now.

I'm probably too ignorant of what is going on, in it's entirety, to get really angry. If I have it straight, you'll no longer be able to put off repayment of loans until post-residency? Under the older (2 weeks ago) system, did you still accrue interest while you were in training? I guess I should probably get out of the mindset that a resident's wages are in fact not poverty, and while not exactly fair from a dollar per unit time calculation, at least a pretty good salary. I wouldn't want to live off it in a large coastal city. So I might be blinded by my fly-over state sense of how much it costs to live. But other than housing, things seem to be pretty close.

Then again, having lived here for most of voting-age life, there is also the apathy of what you believe truly meaning absolutely nothing, and no amount of moaning and groaning about it will ever amount to anything. No one cares. No one in Washington could give two ****s about anything but their own pay raises and how to fatten up the pork-barrel spending. So I might be jaded enough to think that learning about what is going on is time that I could spend memorizing anti-arrhythmics...

Then again, having lived here for most of voting-age life, there is also the apathy of what you believe truly meaning absolutely nothing, and no amount of moaning and groaning about it will ever amount to anything. No one cares. No one in Washington could give two ****s about anything but their own pay raises and how to fatten up the pork-barrel spending. So I might be jaded enough to think that learning about what is going on is time that I could spend memorizing anti-arrhythmics...

Ditto. I care, and I'm p.o.'ed about it, but I'm pretty much under the impression that it doesn't matter what I do. A lot of threads on SDN talk about how we get it so ingrained in our system during medical training to just do whatever we're told, no questions asked, that this apathy bleeds out to other areas of life (i.e. politics). At this point - if given the option to study or learn about what's going on in politics, I'll be studying. Or I'll be goofing off. Either way, I don't have brainpower to expend on anything other than classes.

I hear that in 2011 the rates for stafford loans will drop to 3.4%.

I hear that in 2011 the rates for stafford loans will drop to 3.4%.

Boy that'd be nice. Then all the advice of the people who have low interest rates on their loans would actually apply to our situation, rather than being completely useless.

How much do you think legislation will affect the numbers of people going into certain specialties, or do you think we'll still be in the land of fairytales and puppy dog tails about money, and just go into "our calling"? If it doesn't affect which specialties directly, I think it can't not have an effect on the length of residency most are willing to endure, if yours is one that has choices. Or the numbers of people seeking fellowships. It just doesn't make a whole lot of sense. We need PCP's, but let's drive people away from these lower paying fields by keeping them from surviving during training. :confused: If you wait a few years to get repaid, as a lender, and get interest, isn't that better than getting paid now, but getting less? Although I'm sure there is more to it than this...

So Bagel, has anybody said anything about the legislation? Most of the students I've spoken to have no opinion. They either don't care because their parents are paying for their school or believe that they will be so rich someday that none of this matters now.

One person asked me about it today, but that's it. My thought is that no one's really thinking about how much money they'll have in residency, so they don't care.

You've got to feel bad for those ORU medical students back in the day. Talk about something that would pretty much ruin your medical school experience. We bitch about PBL (justifiably I might add :) ), but they had to deal with their school tanking and figuring out where to go from there. I heard that OU and OSU absorbed everybody, but I don't really know.

I'm still trying to figure out that Chico's thing. I could see spending $39k on clothing in a year if you bought real designer clothing, but spending it at the mall seems a little hard. :eek:

Bumping to say that the pulmonary syllabus (you know, the 90+ page one) is oh so fun to read. :rolleyes: I'm hoping this is not an indicator of things to come in IHI.

Members don't see this ad :)
Just so Bagel doesn't feel like she's talking to herself too much.

:scared: The Sooners are making me nervous (1:52 left in 3rd, sooners up by 6 but mizzou is at 12 yard line after FUMBLING the ball :thumbdown:). Pick it up guys. This is way too similar to how the CO game went. What is the deal with our flaking out in the 2nd half? Why can't we play 4 quarters?!? :mad:

I was so happy LSU lost, but that will mean very little if we lose today.

*Thinking positive thoughts*... after mizzou just scored.

Oh, and I hate school. I have way too much biochem to learn, and I am so completely uninterested in the material.

Did I mention I got to scrub in for surgery for the first time ever this week? I get to do it again Wednesday. Yay! I like surgery. Can't wait for the 3 or 4 hours of sleep / night for the surg rotation :thumbup:.

Yay for my Sooners. And I am also extremely glad that number 2 California lost as well!

This pretty much only studying on Sundays out of Thursday - Sunday thing is probably not the best approach. Every Sunday evening when I realize how much crap I had to do and how little of it I have done... I am regretful. I had a really wonderful weekend though, so it was probably worth it. I am just not looking forward to how much needs to be memorized this week. This second biochem exam is going to kick me in the teeth. I keep flip-flopping on whether I'm more freaked about biochem or anatomy. Right now, it's biochem. I glanced at anatomy yesterday, and while I certainly don't have any details down, I think I have the "big (fuzzy) picture". I have no picture of biochem, just that I know there a lot of flipping enzymes in the human body.

Since I don't have any other reason to go to class on Tuesday or Thursday, is it really worth going to HB for the sexuality lectures? MSII's chime in.

Since I don't have any other reason to go to class on Tuesday or Thursday, is it really worth going to HB for the sexuality lectures? MSII's chime in.

How else will you be able to see the projection of some 80's girl doing DJ Diddles on her 20' tall vag?

Freaky Phebe's lecture series is no less a rite of passage than getting chunks of another human on you in lab, or realizing that people do in fact still use overhead projectors.

If leaving the lights on is your idea of deviant sexual behavior, I'd go. If you are already well versed, it's a waste, other than to see classmate reactions. That's where the fun is.

How else will you be able to see the projection of some 80's girl doing DJ Diddles on her 20' tall vag?

Freaky Phebe's lecture series is no less a rite of passage than getting chunks of another human on you in lab, or realizing that people do in fact still use overhead projectors.

If leaving the lights on is your idea of deviant sexual behavior, I'd go. If you are already well versed, it's a waste, other than to see classmate reactions. That's where the fun is.

:laugh: Now if I don't go to class, everyone on here will know I'm "well versed".

Block 2 of Human Behavior is the most attendance-relevant IMO. For some reason, the exam is disproportionately long. I wouldn't say that I learned anything from the videos, but it was entertaining enough to merit the time spent. I enjoyed the survey responses.

Maybe this mindset...is related to a lack of education that leads to this...

:smuggrin: Nice. There was a question on the survey about the HB spirituality exercise that asked "How often do you attend HB lecture?" I put 10%, which may be an exaggeration. I don't think I have paid attention during any of the lectures I did attend, either. So... we'll see how I feel about wasting valuable study time for mild entertainment that requires waking up early and getting made-up. I don't have anything else I have to do on Tuesday or Thursday so it would really only be getting up and getting pretty for HB, which seems like a silly plan.

I am starting to worry a little about how not attending biochem is going to effect my grade. I did well enough on the first exams that I worry that changing my approach was unwise. We'll find out soon enough, I guess.

After last week's heavy attendence-required schedule, this week is a cake-walk. I'm missing Wednesday's anatomy lecture/lab due to a surgery opportunity, so no class on tues - thurs, assuming I skip the sexy HB lectures. :thumbup: Therefore, this better be a productive study week! Oh, and for my fellow first years, rejoice! Because I am making another drug chart for this TB. I didn't start until section G, so I have to go back and do F, but it will at least be posted sooner than it was for the last TB so it can actually be utilized for studying. I'm at G-21 for the enzymes, and there are already 20 of them :eek:. So.... yay for that.

Oh, and for my fellow first years, rejoice! Because I am making another drug chart for this TB. I didn't start until section G, so I have to go back and do F, but it will at least be posted sooner than it was for the last TB so it can actually be utilized for studying. I'm at G-21 for the enzymes, and there are already 20 of them :eek:. So.... yay for that.

I knew I could count on you. :)

For any readers interested in future changes in the admissions process, I just noticed this entertaining literature:

http://www.medicine.ouhsc.edu/pdf/Final Report-Admissions.pdf

Check out page 14.

Yeah, I read that a while back. It seems to me that the administration is looking for ways to explain why the candidates that they pick don't do as well as they feel they should.

The problem couldn't be with the faculty or administration... :rolleyes:

Am I your hero?

Of course you are :thumbup:

Yeah, I read that a while back. It seems to me that the administration is looking for ways to explain why the candidates that they pick don't do as well as they feel they should.

I'd be very surprised if they actually find any concrete ways to judge many of the applicant qualities they are discussing. The experiences in medical school (from my observations thus far) are significantly different than most undergraduate experiences, so it is only partially reasonable that the admissions board would be able to predict how someone will adapt.

Maybe they should re-examine what it means to "do well."

I liked the proposal of a psychological tool to decipher which students are being genuine and the use of hosting medical student volunteers to report back to the adcom. There must be somebody here who gives tours or has lunch with the interviewees--please tell me that you don't do this. Interviews are stressful enough as they are. I would rather not have to worry that the fact that I eat all of my sides before my main dish may define me as a future physician. :eek:

I've got my ideas about what "doing well" is (which have changed since I got my big red envelope, oh well); what are yours, out of curiosity? Although I've prolly got an idea...

And while I agree there are some aspects of the interview day that should hold no weight, as an applicant you have to realize that everyone you meet, and everything you do that day, or anytime you are on campus in a capacity that someone would know your name while your application is still open, could have an impact on your entrance into school. That's just the way it is. Should you be excluded if you salt first then taste? I don't think so, but companies have before, when applicants didn't know they were under the 'scope. Something to think about for the residency app trail...

Hopefully they don't implement the OUCOM Genuine Response Tester X-2000™ in PCM. I try to sound all sensitive, but I've got about as much empathy as a bag o' rattlesnakes, if I were to guess. When faced with a simulated patient, I simulate giving a rat's ass...

You know, I didn't really read it that way. I thought it was more their usual thing where they have committees to discuss everything and are always thinking about ways to change things. Or if we don't live up to expectations, it's not academically. Instead maybe we're less altruistic or have less "emotional intelligence" than ideal. And of course we might not be "lifelong learners." :rolleyes: Can you tell I'm sick of buzzwords?

The one thing that troubled me was that they seemed especially focused with working with OU's undergrad to get the type of applicants they want, which seems like we'll go more in the direction of having everybody in our class come from OU. Not exactly a way to get an interesting and diverse class, imo -- not knocking OU, but it's good to have people from a variety of undergrad institutions.

not knocking OU, but it's good to have people from a variety of undergrad institutions.

Maybe this is an indication of how little maturity I have, but why? I'm completely indifferent on whether or not everyone in my class comes from OU or whether there are a variety of undergrad institutions represented. IMO, to this point, I haven't seen any other students influencing the way I will practice medicine, so it doesn't matter how much institutional diversity there is. The only reason I can really think to have it is so you can say, "We represent over 45 undergraduate institutions" in a blurb about the school. That, coupled with the fact that OU is the best college in the state :)p fight me if you dare), makes me feel very apathetic about OUHSC recruiting mostly from OU. My $0.02.

Anyone else think our biochem syllabus is just way too effing long for this exam? :( I think I may have to post my chart in a sectional manner b/c I have a ton already and just have over halfway through G (and haven't done F yet!). I think I have a good 15 hours worth of studying to do in the next two days, excluding anything other than notegroups for anatomy! :( I'm already stressing for test block. This stinks.

Oh, and not to mention that apparently there is a TBL Thursday at 8am. Good thing I looked at the schedule a little closer. So I guess I'll make it for Tucker's second lecture at least. And I get to scrub in on surgery Wednesday! :thumbup: :D

Maybe this is an indication of how little maturity I have, but why? I'm completely indifferent on whether or not everyone in my class comes from OU or whether there are a variety of undergrad institutions represented. IMO, to this point, I haven't seen any other students influencing the way I will practice medicine, so it doesn't matter how much institutional diversity there is. The only reason I can really think to have it is so you can say, "We represent over 45 undergraduate institutions" in a blurb about the school. That, coupled with the fact that OU is the best college in the state :)p fight me if you dare), makes me feel very apathetic about OUHSC recruiting mostly from OU. My $0.02.

Anyone else think our biochem syllabus is just way too effing long for this exam? :( I think I may have to post my chart in a sectional manner b/c I have a ton already and just have over halfway through G (and haven't done F yet!). I think I have a good 15 hours worth of studying to do in the next two days, excluding anything other than notegroups for anatomy! :( I'm already stressing for test block. This stinks.

Oh, and not to mention that apparently there is a TBL Thursday at 8am. Good thing I looked at the schedule a little closer. So I guess I'll make it for Tucker's second lecture at least. And I get to scrub in on surgery Wednesday! :thumbup: :D

I read here on SDN several years ago that, referring specifically to OU Med, 10 "diverse" (define it however you want) students from HERE are more like each other than 10 "homogenous" students representing 10 different locales. Diversity is more than seven different shades of the same OU student.

Well, one problem with focusing on OU almost exclusively is that you're shutting out good quality Oklahoman applicants who attend other schools. Not all the smart kids in Oklahoma decide to matriculate at OU. And it's not going to fly well politically because you'll p&ss off the OSU, UCO and TU people.

And honestly it feels a little isolating to be a non-OU person at OUHSC. It's like everybody already knew each other because they were part of the same fraternity/sorority or took all their premed classes together. It makes all those OUHSC a less appealing school for all the talented non-OU students out there.

I read here on SDN several years ago that, referring specifically to OU Med, 10 "diverse" (define it however you want) students from HERE are more like each other than 10 "homogenous" students representing 10 different locales. Diversity is more than seven different shades of the same OU student.

:thumbup:

And honestly it feels a little isolating to be a non-OU person at OUHSC. It's like everybody already knew each other because they were part of the same fraternity/sorority or took all their premed classes together. It makes all those OUHSC a less appealing school for all the talented non-OU students out there.

Well, I went to OU, but I don't feel like I know anybody. Of course, my undergrad was done 6+ years ago, and that may be part of what you feel as well Bagel.

On the other hand, OU is a state institution that by law has to fill its slots with 85% state residents, so if you go to OU, you're going to be attending with a bunch of Okies. Statistically with OU and OSU being the two biggest state schools, that's where the majority of the students will matriculate from. On the other hand, with many OSU undergrads self-selecting for the DO school, that leaves more OU students to fill the slots with.

I don't know how many of the people in my class are from SWOSU or SEOSU or the school in Alva (Northwestern OSU?) or from the school in Ada or from Cameron in Lawton, but I'm sure there are students who would be successful med students who attended these schools.

I think I'm going to retake this quiz every few months and see what it tells me I ought to do. This time, I got E.M. as my #1 :). Super. Although at this very moment, I'm sooo into surgery. It is waaaay too easy to get wrapped up in.

I also went to OU, and I graduated May '06 and I maybe knew 5 - 10 people from pre-med classes. There is really only one person I can think of that I was friends with before school began, and it was from an organization we were both involved in. He and I aren't all that close, even. I would agree that there are definitely people who knew each other and continue to socialize with one another from undergrad to med, but most of the formed cliques I've seen close-up haven't really been friends prior to the start of school.

Or maybe I'm just too self-involved to really notice what's going on with anyone else.

So now I have actually read all of sections F and G in the syllabus! Time to incorporate all that into my spiffy chart after I re-watch Dr D's lecture for notegroups. :thumbup: Then I get to watch some embryo wooohoo!!! :rolleyes:

I got neuro, path, and psych (ewww!) as my top three. Hahaha.....

Anatomy sucks. :beat::beat::beat::beat::beat:

I mostly socialize with my mod and a few people I knew in undergrad. I knew about 20 people going in and I know about half the class now. Most of them seem nice.

Does anyone know if the clinical description of H. ducreyi, pg. 375 in the MMI is a typo? I just want to get my facts straight.

Hi guys! Just wondering if anyone knows how many interview dates are in November and if they are even interviewing in December at all.

Does anyone know if the clinical description of H. ducreyi, pg. 375 in the MMI is a typo? I just want to get my facts straight.

I don't have my syllabus in front of me, but if you're talking about what I'm thinking about, I laughed for a good 5 minutes on that one. Sounds like a bad deal. :D

I actually liked OU's admissions setup, too. I thought it was fairly objective, which is good because no one's really that great at judging someone's character through say an interview.

As for the OU thing, OU people already make up more than 50% of the class, so I don't see any good that would come from increasing those numbers. And for quality students, I still don't buy they all go to OU or go private. OU had their National Merit Scholar thing back in my day, and I knew very few people who went to OU instead of OSU. I'll note that I knew the smart kids and that Stillwater smart kids are pretty smart. ;)

The other thing I'm wondering about is based on soonereng's earlier post. Do OSU students really self select OSU for medical school? If that were true, I'd actually be pretty surprised. My mom has a friend who is a premed advisor at OSU, and she told my mom I should go to OU instead of OSU. I will note that she's an academic snob. :) Anyway, I'd be surprised if she's the only one with that mindset.

Editing to add that my parents apparently spent my entire White Coat Ceremony fretting about why there weren't more OSU people in our class.

My mom has a friend who is a premed advisor at OSU, and she told my mom I should go to OU instead of OSU.

Interestingly enough, the premed advisor at OU strongly advised me to go to OSU! :confused: I did not understand that woman.

Maybe the premed department isn't a strong/prevelant at OSU as it is at OU? If I recall, there were about a billion pre-meds at OU w/a very large pre-med club. Maybe not so much at OS-who?

yay for having no school for two whole school days! :thumbup: I have a lot to get done today, and since I have no where to go today - I may actually get most of it accomplished!

Editting to add I just saw Leon's post that there is no TBL on thursday! YAY!!! I hate TBL and IMPS more than any of our other "required" things bc I do so poorly on those quizzes.

Interestingly enough, the premed advisor at OU strongly advised me to go to OSU! :confused: I did not understand that woman.

That seems weird. I've heard some rumors that our admissions people get disgruntled with the OU premed people because they supposedly encourage the top students to go out of state. Did she push OSU for everyone, or did she think OSU would be an especially good match for you for some reason?

Not going to school is great. I woke up at 10:30 today, wasted some time online and am now finally getting around to studying some IHI. So much better than getting up early to make an 8 am lecture. :)

Oh yeah, I forgot what I was going to gripe about. Why do they bother to have us learn what's considered good cholesterol now since that info is constantly changing. It looks like the IHI info is already dated. My dad's cardiologist told him that his LDL should be below 75, his HDL above 40, and that it makes no sense at all to add the numbers. His doctor is the cardiology fellowship head at OSU, so I'm guessing he's pretty current on what's considered good. If they want to encourage us to be "lifelong learners" perhaps they should just focus on letting us know that we need to always remain current on this stuff instead of having us memorize already dated stuff. :)

That seems weird. I've heard some rumors that our admissions people get disgruntled with the OU premed people because they supposedly encourage the top students to go out of state. Did she push OSU for everyone, or did she think OSU would be an especially good match for you for some reason?

Not going to school is great. I woke up at 10:30 today, wasted some time online and am now finally getting around to studying some IHI. So much better than getting up early to make an 8 am lecture. :)

I have heard a few other people say the OU premed advisor suggested they check out OSU, and I have had others say, "Huh that's weird." She seemed to really be pushing for OSU and gave me the impression that I shouldn't bother trying for OU. Maybe she thought I was such a marginal applicant that I'd be better off trying for OSU. :oops: Or maybe she has some insight that I don't. I can't remember if she is also one of the people that suggested I look into podiatry. I had a decent number of people who, upon being told I was pre-med, suggested I go into podiatry. :confused: Podiatry does not equal medicine people!

Semi-related - last week at clinic, the cardiologist who was volunteering his time asked me if I was in the nursing program :mad:. I think that is the first time a doctor has asked if I was going to be a nurse. :thumbdown: I'm getting a little more used to non-med people calling me "nurse", but I'm not keen on docs thinking I'm a nurse. :rolleyes:

I stayed up til 3am and got up at ~12:30. Homeschooling is the way to go! When I go to class and everyone else is so tired I kinda laugh and say "suckers." :D ;)

I wonder if guys get the nurse/other health care practitioner thing. I thought it was really odd the first time I told someone I was going to medical school, and they asked if I was studying to become a nurse. I thought everyone knew that when you said "medical school" you meant you were training to become a doctor. But I do wonder if I get that partially because I'm a woman.

The advice I got was be a dentist, and don't go to med school at all. If only people's moufs didn't gross me out so much...I dunno, we'll see how how Step I goes. Maybe I could get over it :scared:

I was the voice of reason for a mattress shopping trip the other day, and the saleskid asked what I did. "Study medicine, at OUHSC" "So like pharmacy, or?" "No, like med-ic-al sch-ool." I always leave it open, "I go to OUHSC, here in the city..." or "I'm still in school...". I watched some show about people that mysteriously disappeared; NO **** 75% were people who ran their mouth in public about being med students. People must think we're rich. I'd be a BIG smartass as a woman if I had to answer the nurse question. Ok, I'd be a bigger smartass. But c'mon, don't you wear a white coat at some clinics? It is a pretty esoteric system, so you'd certainly expect it from a clinic patron, but a doc? :thumbdown:

YAY for no TBL!!!! :D Boo for more of Dr. Szweda. :mad:

I only talked to the pre-med advisor once in my entire time at OU. And she told me that I'd better start volunteering. Well, duh. From what I've heard, they know nothing. One of them got caught stealing $1500 (I think) from the minority students pre-med group a couple of years back...

Status
Not open for further replies.