University of Oklahoma -- everyone welcome -- Part 3

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey, I just figured out who Slackerqueen is, I think. Don't worry, your anonymity is safe with me.... or is it? :smuggrin:

Members don't see this ad.

Ahh, I liked Dr. Allen. He was actually my favorite HB professor all year.

I agree with you as far as liking Dr. Allen. So many people have labeled him as "creepy" and boring, but I generally disagree.

I agree with you as far as liking Dr. Allen. So many people have labeled him as "creepy" and boring, but I generally disagree.

For the little that I paid attention when I attended his lectures, I didn't think he was so bad. He was kinda funny, and had a nifty accent. I think I caught a little bit of everyone except for Scott & the folks from pre-TB week. I actually like our course director the best - he reminded me of Kevin Spacey and kept advising us to not sleep with our patients (and even told us a fun little story about his bipolar patient that got really into him!). I thought that was fun.

I am not too for sure why it is taking me so freaking long to get through this crap. I am just finishing up with very old age of morgan's stuff. So I guess the semi-all-nighter has become near full blown all nighter. :thumbdown: I think I can safely say that I will not be going to bar tour. I think I will just be too tired. Plus its a disco bar??? WTF? I will be doing white trash bash though, and I already have my outfit all planned out ;).

Okay, back to prime adaptive ego quality or whatever BS term they came up with.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey, I just figured out who Slackerqueen is, I think. Don't worry, your anonymity is safe with me.... or is it? :smuggrin:

Crap. My anonymity better be safe with you...or else I'm outing you to the board too! :D

Whew! TB1 is in the books!

And the anatomy written key is up. I did better on it than I did on the written. It just goes to show that my test guaging abilities suck in medical school. :confused::thumbdown:

Oh and HB is definitely a class that I love the tests in so far, but given my aforementioned test guaging skills, I probably totally blew that one. :rolleyes:

And the anatomy written key is up. I did better on it than I did on the written. It just goes to show that my test guaging abilities suck in medical school. :confused::thumbdown:

Oh and HB is definitely a class that I love the tests in so far, but given my aforementioned test guaging skills, I probably totally blew that one. :rolleyes:

Congrats with being done!! :thumbup: And I'm sure you really did well on HB if you feel like you did.

Congrats with being done!! :thumbup: And I'm sure you really did well on HB if you feel like you did.

Hooray for being finished! I did just about as well on HB as I expected after I finished the test, so that's good.

I want the biochem key! :mad:

Who do you have to sleep with around here to get a biochem key? Because I will totally offer Soonereng to someone in the Biochem department, and I am certain he will impregnate that person with twins... even if its Unger. (He is just that virile).

I've gotta stop reading embryo books... and start sleeping more. Grats on being finished with the first exam. I plan to drink myself into a mild stupor.

Members don't see this ad :)
i think that is the same guy that stole all those pain meds from the pharmacies in edmond a few days ago. note to self, pysch wards belong on the first floor.

It is indeed. What seems especially incompetent is that I think this guy was still under arrest when this happened.

Some kind soul posted the biochem key so I didn't have to drive down to get it. :thumbup::love::clap:

Yet again, I was pretty far off on how I thought I did on that test too, but for the better. :thumbup: Still, if biochem is a part of that plaque presentation I'm really sure that I'm not going to be getting that $50 next year. :cool:

I'm just going to quit having an opinion on how I did before I see an exam key. It will save me a lot of heartache. +pity+

Some kind soul posted the biochem key so I didn't have to drive down to get it. :thumbup::love::clap:

Yet again, I was pretty far off on how I thought I did on that test too, but for the better. :thumbup: Still, if biochem is a part of that plaque presentation I'm really sure that I'm not going to be getting that $50 next year. :cool:

I'm just going to quit having an opinion on how I did before I see an exam key. It will save me a lot of heartache. +pity+

Following up on that note, do you think miskeys are happening on your tests, or is it more of a welcome to med school (read -- you generally won't do as well as you expect) thing.

Glad to hear biochem went better than expected. :) To win those awards, you generally need to make like a 99 in the class. And really, who wants to spend their time memorizing all the tiny and insignificant details that would require.

Following up on that note, do you think miskeys are happening on your tests, or is it more of a welcome to med school (read -- you generally won't do as well as you expect) thing.

Glad to hear biochem went better than expected. :) To win those awards, you generally need to make like a 99 in the class. And really, who wants to spend their time memorizing all the tiny and insignificant details that would require.

I think it was no coincidence that the winner of ours was not old enough to go to the bar.

Not for me personally. I just need to go back to my mindset I had in a lot of my engineering classes. Many times the average on a test in those classes was @ 50, so you had to become cool with not knowing the answer for everything. Recently, I personally just got used to acing the prereq class tests, so I need to get over that again.

I haven't studied to know all the minutae on purpose (especially for that biochem test). Like you said, it's not worth it. I don't need any more stressors in my life, and I value sleep over a grade personally (it's one of my destressors). I just want to learn what I need to know for the boards and clinical practice and leave it at that.

Now having said all that, I am pleased with my score on everything except the anatomy practical. I will probably hit that a little harder for next block.

To win those awards, you generally need to make like a 99 in the class. And really, who wants to spend their time memorizing all the tiny and insignificant details that would require.

Yeah, I've been joking about that the whole time (maybe it hasn't come across that way). I actually laughed when they gave them out. I have never had any aspiration of doing what it takes to get one of those. I personally have better things to do.

Yeah, I've been joking about that the whole time (maybe it hasn't come across that way). I actually laughed when they gave them out. I have never had any aspiration of doing what it takes to get one of those. I personally have better things to do.

Yeah, I was pretty sure you were joking. :) I still don't get why they give the anatomy awards in front of the people in the class below you, who have no clue who you are. Actually nobody ever knows who wins those awards unless they take the time to read the plaques, which probably aren't updated very regularly anyway.

So I am incredibly lazy, but I so don't want to go to my PCM interview session this afternoon. It's not 'til 3, and I'm already dreading it. I just feel like I'm past the mock interviews already.

So I am incredibly lazy, but I so don't want to go to my PCM interview session this afternoon. It's not 'til 3, and I'm already dreading it. I just feel like I'm past the mock interviews already.

I hadn't looked at it that way, but yeah, it does seem so first-year :D to be faking it. Bring on the real thing!!

The hardest part is memorizing the ROS...

I hadn't looked at it that way, but yeah, it does seem so first-year :D to be faking it. Bring on the real thing!!

The hardest part is memorizing the ROS...

I haven't even tried to tackle that yet. :eek: I just had a very long, hard interview at the clinic where I volunteer, so I really don't want to interview anymore today. Thank goodness the mock interviewees never present with 52 problems and talk about how much they hate Black people. :scared:

Technically speaking, announcing somebody's grade (high or low) to an entire class class is a blatant FERPA violation, as is publishing a list of the students with 4.0's in the scholarship program.

that had occurred to me earlier this year. evidently youre only entitled to privacy if you get bad grades.

Only 11 to go... :D

On a related note, only 4 more weeks of surgery. I've said it before, and I'll say it again. You get to see some amazing stuff on surgery, but these hours absolutely suck. I haven't slept past 4 AM in a month now, and it's not going to change until the end of October.

On a related note, only 4 more weeks of surgery. I've said it before, and I'll say it again. You get to see some amazing stuff on surgery, but these hours absolutely suck. I haven't slept past 4 AM in a month now, and it's not going to change until the end of October.

So not looking forward to that. At least you're halfway.

:hardy: :clap: :banana:

I don't know why I put in the banana, it just seemed like a good idea.

I'm getting trashy so I can go get trashed! :thumbup: Didn't manage to really drink much last night b/c I was just so freaking tired. I forced myself to sleep for 12 hours. It was great.

I'm into the whole count 'em down, block by block. So, one down 11 to go! :clap:

To all M2+:

O'Don sent out an email telling us how the class did on the first TB: 69% A or B which is great. But what got me was that even taking into account the 20 pretest points, over 10% of the class made below a C for the first block.

Is that typical?

So I just noticed that "Fall Break" consists of the day before the OU-Texas football game. Said weekend must be important around here. Too bad that national championship hopes seem bleak for either team now.

Well, everyone else lost this weekend too, so it's not totally out of the question, but we don't deserve to be in the championship picture if we can't make a fair catch to win the game. :thumbdown:

This was what I found appealing about the PA program--no sims, interviewing and presenting real pts the second month of classes.

I guess we need our hands held a little longer. Probably because we have 2 full pre-clinical years so they have to drag it out somehow.

I didn't manage to rent Malice for the weekend. Yes, I know the weekend isn't over yet, but I have many a-thing to do. We are decorating our apartment for Halloween today :D. I :love: Halloween! Then there is the whole wedding planning thing that needs to be dealt with, that gets put on the back burner while tests are nearby.

Hope all the MSI's are having a very school-free weekend! I think I'm going to have to get started on a few things for anatomy today, but I may blow it off until tomorrow. Tomorrow begins my homeschooling. :thumbup:

Would anyone who's volunteered at a free clinic mind sharing his/her experience? I've decided to try one out next week, and I was wondering if I needed to bring anything, like my white coat, stethoscope or Spanish knowledge (which for me, after 2 years in h.s. and 1.5 yrs. in college, is now non-existent). Thanks in advance!

To all M2+:

O'Don sent out an email telling us how the class did on the first TB: 69% A or B which is great. But what got me was that even taking into account the 20 pretest points, over 10% of the class made below a C for the first block.

Is that typical?

Since it's your first test, maybe, but generally no, especially since the pretest points are included. Physiology seemed to have the lowest grades overall, and even there the number of people making a D or F on a exam would be around 5%. But, yeah, maybe it's the whole not having a mini thing.

Would anyone who's volunteered at a free clinic mind sharing his/her experience? I've decided to try one out next week, and I was wondering if I needed to bring anything, like my white coat, stethoscope or Spanish knowledge (which for me, after 2 years in h.s. and 1.5 yrs. in college, is now non-existent). Thanks in advance!

The white coat is generally required, and I'd recommend bringing a stethoscope just because you never know. I've only volunteered at the City Rescue Mission, where it's mainly just taking histories so I haven't needed anything aside from a pen.

I worked at Open Arms, and they specifically wanted us to NOT wear our white coats or nametags in order to maintain anonymity, so you might ask before you go work. I'm not sure if any of the other clinics have such a policy.

I've gone to Crossings Community Clinic twice now. The first time, I was all decked out in white coat and all. Another MSI was leaving as I was coming, and he was in scrubs. The next week, I forgot my white coat and they didn't care. So... I would say it depends on the clinic. Safest bet - dress like a PCP and wear your coat. If you look too fancy or they want you to ditch the coat, be prepared for that. Def. bring the stethoscope - you never know when someone will have a heart murmur that you can hear. I wouldn't worry about the Spanish translations; usually there will be someone there that can wing it. I think...

Hooray for the idea of homeschooling! Haven't quite figured out what that means, although I imagine it will mean staying up late (2 or 3am), ditching AM classes, and staying up late that evening to learn what everyone else 'learned'. So, hopefully that works! Since I did okay on the first block, it almost seems risky to try and change things around, but I would like to improve and not remain stagnant... that's a middle age crisis. :smuggrin:

I really love this streaming embryo lecture. Why can't biochem be streamed? :confused:

I heard that Leon won't allow it, but that's just the word on the street...

Yeah, according to the rumor mill, he doesn't like it that people don't attend class. :rolleyes:

Personally I'm not a fan of listening to audio because I feel like it takes nearly as much time as going, so it doesn't make a difference for me. Also, it's a pita for mac people, especially when they only release the broadcast thing with no separate powerpoints.

Oh yeah, so what do you guys think of the notegroups bounty thing? I'm guessing you've had some real notegroups quality issues (of course everyone does). I do think it's good to open up notegroup critiquing to everyone because it's important the notegroups be of high quality.

Hmm, maybe notegroups should be done through some type of wiki application.

Oh yeah, so what do you guys think of the notegroups bounty thing? I'm guessing you've had some real notegroups quality issues (of course everyone does). I do think it's good to open up notegroup critiquing to everyone because it's important the notegroups be of high quality.

Hmm, maybe notegroups should be done through some type of wiki application.

I really like it because I've been angered over some notegroups typos and blatant mistakes that were acknowledged by the notegroups taker and yet not fixed. However, from what I've read, people hate it.

I take back what I said about the streaming lecture. It keeps slowing down on me and making weird echo noises!!! :mad: (Not that it really matters since Dr. Rada practically reads off her slides... :oops:)

I think it would be interesting to try a wiki version of notegroups. (Damn, Dr. Bagel beat me)

Hell, I bet me and Adam H. could set up something pretty quick. All that webhosting for wiki stuff is open source.

Status
Not open for further replies.