University of North Texas (UNTHSC/TCOM) Discussion Thread 2016 - 2017

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
What is the rejected term on the portal? Application "reviewed" or "received"

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile
I think " reviewed" . That is the message I got from last year application.

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
Y'all get the research email?

Reactions: 1 user
I was thinking that TCOM will mean that I will be doing primary care medicine, but looking at the MATCH lists, there are some ppl into anesth, Emergency Medicine, and other specialities beyond primary care...in GME residences, not AOA residencies.. So it's possible? There was even 1 placement into opthamology for GME (not AOA residency)

Hello all! I just had a quick question that may or may not have been asked on this thread already. Does anyone know how TCOM handles multiple MCATs? Do they put most weight on the most recent score or average all scores? Thanks!
I went 29, 28, 33 and got accepted via early decision. Redemption is possible. Not sure if they take an average or just the highest.

Reactions: 1 users
I just got done looking at last year's thread... First congrats @Megarooski on matching and being an overall awesome and positive person. Second, it seems that they sent out pre-matches in 3 batches(last year was Nov 15, around Nov 25 and around Dec 22). After the pre-match period ended, your portal status would change to "Application status offline pending the February 1, 2016 match results". Now people's statuses did change to the "Application has been reviewed" rejection prior to the pre-match period. However, it seemed to be mostly for OOS applicants. It didn't look like a lot of people were outright rejected but some did end up on the waitlist. I know this doesn't do much to make this wait any easier but that's what I found.

Ah.. sorry, have to clarify. My portal still says application under review although I have not yet received an interview.
Texas resident, 3.4/3.1/501

Members don't see this ad :)
My portal just says application complete but does not say under review or anything else, anyone else have this??

My portal just says application complete but does not say under review or anything else, anyone else have this??
Mine says "Your application is under review " above the Status box. &
"This Application is Complete." Just below it.
After your interview, the message changes from Invited to interview to under review.

Mine says "Your application is under review " above the Status box. &
"This Application is Complete." Just below it.
After your interview, the message changes from Invited to interview to under review.

Likewise!

Same here..."Your application has been received" above the status box and "This application is Complete" below it.

^When did you guys submit and were complete? From my understanding, it just means your application hasn't been reviewed yet. Remember, interviews go out as late as January.

^When did you guys submit and were complete? From my understanding, it just means your application hasn't been reviewed yet. Remember, interviews go out as late as January.
I've been complete since June. I guess I'll be holding onto hope till mid December for interview invites.

Here's how the application statuses work:

"Application has been received." - They have everything they need for your app and they have not made any decisions about your application thus far

"Application is under review." - This shows up post interview and just means they haven't made a final decision about your app yet (or they just haven't let you know about their decision yet). If you have this status for a long time (which is the case before pre-match and match days), you more than likely are at least on the waitlist. There's no way to tell if you're on the waitlist or accepted just from this status though.

"Application has been reviewed." - This always means rejection, whether it's pre or post interview. Usually if you don't get an interview at all, this status won't show up until late Spring or so.

Good luck to everyone waiting for a pre-match! Last year they were released around midnight so keep your eyes peeled. Although I'm sure I don't have to tell you that.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
How long did it take y'all to get the interview email from TCOM after RSVPing with Caroline?

I was thinking that TCOM will mean that I will be doing primary care medicine, but looking at the MATCH lists, there are some ppl into anesth, Emergency Medicine, and other specialities beyond primary care...in GME residences, not AOA residencies.. So it's possible? There was even 1 placement into opthamology for GME (not AOA residency)
You sound like Gargamel... just kidding... TCOM will definitely get you there

Just got my acceptance emailed to me :) Congrats to everyone else.

Reactions: 6 users
Accepted! good luck everyone

Reactions: 5 users
Congratulations to those who have been accepted! When did you all interview, if you don't mind sharing?

Accepted 12:07AM. LizzyM: 74.5!

TCOM is in my top 3. Im so stoked.

Reactions: 3 users
ACCEPTED!! Started from the bottom... Congrats to all of you that have received an acceptance as well! I look so forward to working with and beside you all!

Accepted! I checked the portal first and saw under review, then here, so i was thinking I didn't get prematch. Then I saw the email.. LizzyM 66 and interviewed 9/10. I'm so excited!!!! Congrats everyone!!

Accepted! I checked the portal first and saw under review, then here, so i was thinking I didn't get prematch. Then I saw the email.. LizzyM 66 and interviewed 9/10. I'm so excited!!!! Congrats everyone!!
Congratulations!!! What time did you get an email?

ACCEPTED. Yes!!!! I'm so stoked

Check the portal bc I didn't receive any notification on email for interview. only after 2 weeks of a call from them that I missed, i just happened to check the portal which said you have been invited for an interview....and then it took 2-4 days before I could get a hold of the personnel on the phone...

Check the portal bc I didn't receive any notification on email for interview. only after 2 weeks of a call from them that I missed, i just happened to check the portal which said you have been invited for an interview....and then it took 2-4 days before I could get a hold of the personnel on the phone...

In regards to the above. I'm not sure this has been mentioned yet or not, but:
  1. Make sure your contact information is up to date (seems obvious but you would be surprised)
  2. Make sure your voicemail has space on it for them to leave a message
  3. Check your voicemail!!
  4. This would be a great time to get over any anxiety of answering an "Unknown Number."
  5. Check your portal regularly
  6. Nothing is life is guaranteed. Continue building your application for next application cycle. Always have a back-up plan.
Carry on.

Congrats to all who have been accepted so far. Enjoy that peace of mind.

Accepted by email @1:50 am 11/15/16. GPA3.75,MCAT514.

Reactions: 2 users
Anyone know how often this school sends pre matches?