University of North Texas (UNTHSC/TCOM) Discussion Thread 2013 - 2014

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Does anyone know whether applicants with lower MCAT (with other factors being strong) get an interview invite later in the application cycle ? Is that the way TCOM usually works - I mean is it the usual trend ?

I noticed in here that people with good MCAT scores had been getting interview invites within 2 weeks of sending in the application - that's why wondering !

Bump

Members don't see this ad.

I believe that is the way it works early on in the cycle. My cousin attends Tcom and she did not have an interview invite until September because of her low 20's mcat score.

I believe that is the way it works early on in the cycle. My cousin attends Tcom and she did not have an interview invite until September because of her low 20's mcat score.

I don't think this is the case. A friend of mine didn't even get an interview with a 30 mcat. He has a 3.4 gpa also

Members don't see this ad :)
I don't think this is the case. A friend of mine didn't even get an interview with a 30 mcat. He has a 3.4 gpa also

Honestly, I believe that the chance of getting an interview is based upon 1.) scores and grades 2.) personal preference of the individual reviewing your app. They probably give guidelines to uphold when looking at applicants, but I'm sure there is still a great deal of bias on the reviewers part. All-in-all, there is some sort of combination of scores and personality that they look for. My friend had a 3.9 and a 38 mcat and the only interview he got was from Tcom, and he applied very early. I think each school is looking for something different and the best thing we can do is ask people who got interviews everything about themselves so we can see if we align closely with their app

Honestly, I believe that the chance of getting an interview is based upon 1.) scores and grades 2.) personal preference of the individual reviewing your app. They probably give guidelines to uphold when looking at applicants, but I'm sure there is still a great deal of bias on the reviewers part. All-in-all, there is some sort of combination of scores and personality that they look for. My friend had a 3.9 and a 38 mcat and the only interview he got was from Tcom, and he applied very early. I think each school is looking for something different and the best thing we can do is ask people who got interviews everything about themselves so we can see if we align closely with their app

I think what you are saying is right - I had a conversation with an Advisor, and she mentioned that each of the reviewers follow different evaluation criterias.
Seems like they review the application the first time and decides to either call in for an interview, or move the app. to a "later review" bucket, or "reject".
The ones in later review are reviewed periodically (which depends on the reviewer it seems - few review the app's again ones/week - and few reviewers have a different review frequency it seems)

My MCAT is in the mid 20's but have a GPA of 4 with higher degrees and good reco's - that is why I was wondering about when I might get a call - Praying ! :)

My MCAT is in the mid 20's but have a GPA of 4 with higher degrees and good reco's - that is why I was wondering about when I might get a call - Praying ! :)

The upside of having essays etc. is that we get many opportunities to put our best foot forwards. Good luck! :)

On another note, I just wanted to comment that I'm getting a good feeling from this school (via their emails). They seem very down to earth :D

The upside of having essays etc. is that we get many opportunities to put our best foot forwards. Good luck! :)

On another note, I just wanted to comment that I'm getting a good feeling from this school (via their emails). They seem very down to earth :D

Did you receive any updates yet from them regarding your application ? if so, do you have good MCAT score ?

Did you receive any updates yet from them regarding your application ? if so, do you have good MCAT score ?

They received my primary a week ago, and I got my secondary in last night.

10/11/12 MCAT + 3.8 cGPA :xf:

Hi everyone,
in case someone is keeping stats, I got the call for my interview yesterday, scheduled for 8/1/13 !!!:):):)

TMDSAS submitted on 6/4/13
Secondary submitted on 6/18/13
29 MCAT
3.85 GPA

Hey everyone I am in the middle of filling out this secondary but I am having extreme difficulty with the website. Has anyone else seemed to have problems?

Once I logon I go the DO secondary application and from this screen the computer freezes. Has anyone had to use a certain internet browser?

Anyone else who has experienced this, please help?

Hey everyone I am in the middle of filling out this secondary but I am having extreme difficulty with the website. Has anyone else seemed to have problems?

Once I logon I go the DO secondary application and from this screen the computer freezes. Has anyone had to use a certain internet browser?

Anyone else who has experienced this, please help?

Disregard my comment. I was finally able to get into the secondary. I just submitted the secondary.

35P
OOS

Has anyone recieved an interview invite with a 25 or lower mcat?

Yes, last year their mcat range for the class profile was a 22 to a 42. However, I'm sure they choose to interview this candidates later in the cycle

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
If the application status says Complete, does this mean they have my letters?

For those of you that have received interviews did your portal status change from complete to under review and then to invited for interview or did it just go from complete to invited for interview?

Interview! 8-13-13

Submitted June 1
Secondary Submitted June 2

Thought I'd post here since some of y'all might be my classmates one day!

Just received an invite this morning for August 8th!

3.5 GPA
31 MCAT

Thought my stats were a little low for an interview this early and I was just complete last week, but i'll take it!!!

Yeah it has been really quite as of late. Im still as neurotic as ever though. lol My MCAT scores get back next week!

Just got an interview invite! 3.9+/30+

Anyone see a status change lately? Maybe before their II?

For the 7/30 II people, did any of yall get a student host yet?

Quick question:
In terms of letter addition to TCOM, I changed the DO letter over to the primary TMDSAS application, so would it still be ok if I turned in a letter from a professor from UNT HSC?

Quick question:
In terms of letter addition to TCOM, I changed the DO letter over to the primary TMDSAS application, so would it still be ok if I turned in a letter from a professor from UNT HSC?

Yes

Interview Invite!

OOS 35 3.8 GPA
Submitted Secondary: July 9

So for the 7/30 intervew people, did any of yall managed to get a student host yet? If not, which hotel did ya booked?

So for the 7/30 intervew people, did any of yall managed to get a student host yet? If not, which hotel did ya booked?

I registered for a host weeks ago but haven't heard back.

How would my chances at TCOM be if I applied next summer for a 2015 matriculation...without a bachelor's by the end of 14-15 school year? I will have been in school for 4 years by then, but would still need additional courses though due to a major change and school transfer.

By the time I'd apply, I'll have ~100 hours and 3 years of course work including all prereqs and mcat done. Let's say I have a 3.65 GPA and average mcat at application with good EC...

how much of an uphill struggle would that application be? would it hurt to just apply but plan on really applying again the following year too?

My plan is 3 years undergrad from here, but was wondering if 2 is possible with tcom.

Thanks!

How would my chances at TCOM be if I applied next summer for a 2015 matriculation...without a bachelor's by the end of 14-15 school year? I will have been in school for 4 years by then, but would still need additional courses though due to a major change and school transfer.

By the time I'd apply, I'll have ~100 hours and 3 years of course work including all prereqs and mcat done. Let's say I have a 3.65 GPA and average mcat at application with good EC...

how much of an uphill struggle would that application be? would it hurt to just apply but plan on really applying again the following year too?

My plan is 3 years undergrad from here, but was wondering if 2 is possible with tcom.

Thanks!

3 years of coursework when applying is pretty much the definition of a traditional applicant.

3 years of coursework when applying is pretty much the definition of a traditional applicant.

So they don't know/care that I'll actually receive a bachelor's, rather I'll just have ~130 hours done?

So they don't know/care that I'll actually receive a bachelor's, rather I'll just have ~130 hours done?

Nowhere does it say on any of the MD or DO schools that a bachelors is required. The only thing required for acceptance is pre reqs completed. Most students apply after 3 years and then complete their bachelors throughout the acceptance process and then matriculated with a degree.

Nowhere does it say on any of the MD or DO schools that a bachelors is required. The only thing required for acceptance is pre reqs completed. Most students apply after 3 years and then complete their bachelors throughout the acceptance process and then matriculated with a degree.

Exacty, you see what I'm saying is that even if I was accepted for 2015 matriculation and I completed 14-15 at undergrad making that 4 years and 130ish hours, I still wouldn't have a bachelors...i need more hours and a year due to major change and school transfer.

But I'd have all prereqs and stuff done for mcat...

Exacty, you see what I'm saying is that even if I was accepted for 2015 matriculation and I completed 14-15 at undergrad making that 4 years and 130ish hours, I still wouldn't have a bachelors...i need more hours and a year due to major change and school transfer.

But I'd have all prereqs and stuff done for mcat...

If you get accepted you can go ahead and go into medical school without your bachelors.

theoretically it's possible, but i don't know of anyone who knows a med student without a bachelor's degree. so in practice med schools expect people to finish their bachelor's degree before matriculation. it's like an unwritten rule, even if it's not specified in the acceptance letter.

edit: my letter didn't say anything about a bachelor's, but a final undergrad transcript was listed among the items for matriculation, and we were told to send it in after graduation.

Last edited:
my stats are nothing in comparison to those who being invited to interviews.
Overall GPA: 3.44
Undergrad GPA: 3.44
Undergrad Science GPA: 3.20
My MCAT 23
Biology major, sociology minor
I don't think they are going to interview anyone with low MCAT scores anytime soon. But I only submitted my seconday by july 1st, tmdsas in may 30th. I have over 200 hours of volunteering in community hours, shadowing and research.

not yet...still waiting. However I only submitted my secondary app. on july 1st

my stats are nothing in comparison to those who being invited to interviews.
Overall GPA: 3.44
Undergrad GPA: 3.44
Undergrad Science GPA: 3.20
My MCAT 23
Biology major, sociology minor
I don't think they are going to interview anyone with low MCAT scores anytime soon. But I only submitted my seconday by july 1st, tmdsas in may 30th. I have over 200 hours of volunteering in community hours, shadowing and research.

We are sort of on the same level as far as stats: GPAs 3.2 & 26R mcat. My ECs are a little more advanced with publications and a couple thousand clinical hours. We may not interview till late in the cycle due to our lower stats.

just got an invite to recruitment weekend aug 9-10. is this an interview invite?

We are sort of on the same level as far as stats: GPAs 3.2 & 26R mcat. My ECs are a little more advanced with publications and a couple thousand clinical hours. We may not interview till late in the cycle due to our lower stats.

I am in the same boat as you guys with my 23 mcat and 3.86 gpa. My cousin who is a 4th year at tcom had similar stats and she didn't interview until late September.