University of North Texas (UNTHSC/TCOM) Discussion Thread 2013 - 2014

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
So, for interviews: Did you see the invite where it says "application complete"? Where does it show up?

So, for interviews: Did you see the invite where it says "application complete"? Where does it show up?

Yea, but you will receive a call anyway within 24 hours if you got an interview invite.

Members don't see this ad :)
Yea, but you will receive a call anyway within 24 hours if you got an interview invite.

Okay thanks! And congratulations on your interview!

For the people who got an interview, when did you submit your primary application!?

II for July 30th!!! Got the call Monday and couldn't believe it! Lurking for a while but finally decided to post.

Submitted primary 6/01; Secondary 6/10

II for July 30th!!! Got the call Monday and couldn't believe it! Lurking for a while but finally decided to post.

Submitted primary 6/01; Secondary 6/10

Congrats on your interview!

Is there a social night before? Any students want to tell us what to expect on interview day?

Interview invite this morning!!!! I'm super excited! I'll be part of the 7/30 group.

TMDSAS Transmitted: 6/5
Secondary Completed: 6/20
MCAT: 33
cGPA: 3.58
OOS

Interview invite this morning!!!! I'm super excited! I'll be part of the 7/30 group.

TMDSAS Transmitted: 6/5
Secondary Completed: 6/20
MCAT: 33
cGPA: 3.58
OOS

Congrats! Looks like they are interviewing high stat applicants right now

I'm still stuck on the secondary...

I dont have any exposure/experience with osteopathic medicine, so I dont really know how to answer # 2 lol..

Members don't see this ad :)
Hello,

What do you guys think about my chances for an interview invite ?

sGPA - 4.0 (still taking prereqs) ; cGPA - 4.0
MCAT - 24 :(
Masters degree in Business (MBA) - GPA - 3.9
Bachelors in Electrical Engineering - 3.98

MD Job shadowing - 80 hours
Medical Missions - 150/200 hours
Volunteering - 100/150 hours

Residency: Texas

I have good reco letters from my Professors/Doctors as well.

I submitted my secondary around June 18th - but my MCAT scores became available only on 06/27

Do you guys have anything to say about my chances ?

Thanks ! :)

Hello,

What do you guys think about my chances for an interview invite ?

sGPA - 4.0 (still taking prereqs) ; cGPA - 4.0
MCAT - 24 :(
Masters degree in Business (MBA) - GPA - 3.9
Bachelors in Electrical Engineering - 3.98

MD Job shadowing - 80 hours
Medical Missions - 150/200 hours
Volunteering - 100/150 hours

Residency: Texas

I have good reco letters from my Professors/Doctors as well.

I submitted my secondary around June 18th - but my MCAT scores became available only on 06/27

Do you guys have anything to say about my chances ?

Thanks ! :)

What is your mcat breakdown?

V/b/p - 7/8/9

Your mcat is low, but not a deal breaker. And you breakdown looks even and nothing that raises flags. Your GPA is good, as well as your ECs, so I would be surprised if you don't get a couple interviews. Just apply broadly

Last edited:
I submitted my secondary a week ago and TCOM emailed me confirmation about receiving my application and LOR. Is it possible for me to check my status on the MyHSC page, or do I need to wait for a username and password? Thank you.

I submitted my secondary a week ago and TCOM emailed me confirmation about receiving my application and LOR. Is it possible for me to check my status on the MyHSC page, or do I need to wait for a username and password? Thank you.
If you filled out a secondary you should have had to used a username and password. If you can't find it just go to myhsc page and click you forgot you EUID and look it up via your personal info.

Your mcat is low, but not a deal breaker. And you breakdown looks even and nothing that raises flags. Your GPA is good, as well as your ECs, so I would be surprised if you don't get a couple interviews. Just apply broadly

Thanks Bhandal ! :)

I submitted my application on 06/14 - But my application completion date is been shown as 06/26 - How long did it take for getting an update on the status from the time you apply ? any ideas ?

Thanks Bhandal ! :)

I submitted my application on 06/14 - But my application completion date is been shown as 06/26 - How long did it take for getting an update on the status from the time you apply ? any ideas ?

They do it fairly quickly at Tcom because they are so awesome! You can check your status on the my hsc website

They do it fairly quickly at Tcom because they are so awesome! You can check your status on the my hsc website

As of now it says its complete - hope I get a call for an interview - did you get an invite or so ?

As of now it says its complete - hope I get a call for an interview - did you get an invite or so ?

Nope not yet, but I was complete on the 20th as well, so hopefully we get in to the next round of interview invites

For all those with an II already, did you submit an additional LOR as available in the secondary? I was holding off on submitting because I'd like to get another letter or 2, have one pending from another science prof and my personal DO back home offered but I won't have either for a few more weeks. Not sure if it's worth it to wait...

For reference, my stats are UT Austin grad, cum GPA 3.59 (3.62 at UT), sci GPA 3.39, MCAT 27 (9s across the board), non-trad, 4 years employment in hospital ER, 7 years employment in clinical research, good ECs and undergrad research experience.

For those who got interview calls. Did it come under an unknown number or did it have an area code? If it had an area code what was it? I ask because I want to be ready if I ever get the call. Funny story I asked a John Hopkins neurosurgeon if I can shadow him through email. He looked me up and he gave me a call. All that came out of my mouth was "uhhh hi there duhrrr spleakin pot pur (clear throat)... Hello."

For all those with an II already, did you submit an additional LOR as available in the secondary? I was holding off on submitting because I'd like to get another letter or 2, have one pending from another science prof and my personal DO back home offered but I won't have either for a few more weeks. Not sure if it's worth it to wait...

For reference, my stats are UT Austin grad, cum GPA 3.59 (3.62 at UT), sci GPA 3.39, MCAT 27 (9s across the board), non-trad, 4 years employment in hospital ER, 7 years employment in clinical research, good ECs and undergrad research experience.
I received an interview invitation last Friday and I did not submit an extra letter in the secondary. I was in your same situation...it would've just taken too long to get a letter from the DO I shadowed, but I might mention that in my interview. I did explicitly talk about my shadowing experiences with that DO though, so they knew I had shadowed a DO. I did have two LOR from science professors sent with my TMDSAS application. Good luck!

For those who got interview calls. Did it come under an unknown number or did it have an area code? If it had an area code what was it? I ask because I want to be ready if I ever get the call. Funny story I asked a John Hopkins neurosurgeon if I can shadow him through email. He looked me up and he gave me a call. All that came out of my mouth was "uhhh hi there duhrrr spleakin pot pur (clear throat)... Hello."
Haha! I'm pretty sure that's what I probably sounded like when Caroline called with my interview invitation. The call came in the morning from an unknown number.

Is there a social night before? Any students want to tell us what to expect on interview day?
I'm about to book my flight and was also wondering if there was a social night before or anything of that kind. I'm so excited for this!! Right now, I'm looking at arriving around 4:00 PM.

There is nothing organized for the night before the interview as far as I know.

If there is none, I am willing to have dinner the night before just to meet fellow interviewees. Anyone interested?

If there is none, I am willing to have dinner the night before just to meet fellow interviewees. Anyone interested?
I'd be up for it. Are you going to try and get a student host?

I didn't submit an extra letter and got an II 2 days ago. I only had 2 letters overall from TMDSAS.

anyone notice that the tuition of this school is higher than most TX MDs?

There has always been a higher associated cost with DO schools. Then again, this is usually because DO schools are private. Overall, I am a TX resident and would gladly fork over the dough to go here versus how deep in the governments pocket ill have to reach to get an education OOS.

I think part of it is TCOM runs a longer school year, for instance, 1st year at TCOM is ~35 days longer than UT San Antonio. Also, there is board prep for the DO exam. Maybe the laptop & iPad. Regardless, it is a bargain.

(Another thing to consider is Texas MD schools, with the exception of A&M, have tertiary hospitals that are huge cash cows.)

Interviews are quite this year. Around this time last year people were being called up left and right

Interviews are quite this year. Around this time last year people were being called up left and right

Hey Bhandal..any updates as yet about your app ?

Mine just says "Application is Complete"

Hey Bhandal..any updates as yet about your app ?

Mine just says "Application is Complete"

Nope :( but it's still early... I got a DO letter in and Caroline was nice enough to put a note in my app about me having some osteopathy experience

Hi guys,

I barely found out that there was a thread for TCOM exclusively and I am very excited about that. Anyways, I am getting a tad worried because I thought that interviews did not begin until the end of July. That was what I had been told. Here is some background about me:
cGPA: 3.75
sGPA: 3.64
150+ hours shadowing a D.O. (primary care)
40 clinical volunteering hours (free clinic), 50 non-clinical volunteering (church, fraternity, etc.)
4 LOR (so far) 1 letter from my HPAC committee, 1 letter from a chemistry professor, 1 letter from the D.O. that I shadow, 1 letter from my old boss from my job as an Orientation Leader, and I may get one more letter from a humanities professor that I have.
ECs: I've done a lot of leadership type things on campus and have been very involved throughout my collegiate career.
MCAT: Scores are pending since I took it June 20th.

My application wont be complete until July 24th at the latest. I am also worried about my MCAT, I got around 28-31 on my AAMC practice exams but the real thing felt much harder. I am worried that I did <25. I am not freaking out but I would like some input from everyone as far as to how my application is looking so far. I have submitted my primary TMDSAS app and my secondary app and all that is left is that pesky MCAT score. Any input would be appreciated. Thanks guys!

Hi guys,

I barely found out that there was a thread for TCOM exclusively and I am very excited about that. Anyways, I am getting a tad worried because I thought that interviews did not begin until the end of July. That was what I had been told. Here is some background about me:
cGPA: 3.75
sGPA: 3.64
150+ hours shadowing a D.O. (primary care)
40 clinical volunteering hours (free clinic), 50 non-clinical volunteering (church, fraternity, etc.)
4 LOR (so far) 1 letter from my HPAC committee, 1 letter from a chemistry professor, 1 letter from the D.O. that I shadow, 1 letter from my old boss from my job as an Orientation Leader, and I may get one more letter from a humanities professor that I have.
ECs: I've done a lot of leadership type things on campus and have been very involved throughout my collegiate career.
MCAT: Scores are pending since I took it June 20th.

My application wont be complete until July 24th at the latest. I am also worried about my MCAT, I got around 28-31 on my AAMC practice exams but the real thing felt much harder. I am worried that I did <25. I am not freaking out but I would like some input from everyone as far as to how my application is looking so far. I have submitted my primary TMDSAS app and my secondary app and all that is left is that pesky MCAT score. Any input would be appreciated. Thanks guys!

Looking strong for TCOM if you are a Texas resident. A 27+ should get you an interview.

Nope :( but it's still early... I got a DO letter in and Caroline was nice enough to put a note in my app about me having some osteopathy experience

Does a DO experience have an advantage ? most of my job shadowing experiences are with MD's

Does a DO experience have an advantage ? most of my job shadowing experiences are with MD's

Apparently it does give you a slight advantage when applying. I would assume if the ADcoms had to choose between 2 students with the same stats they would take the one with the DO letter. Caroline said all it does it tell the reviewer of you application that you've had actual exposure to the field and your interest is genuine

Their website says strongly recommended but not required.

At the end of the day, if you are a Texas resident and don't get in, I doubt it will be because you didn't have a DO letter despite having MD letters.

Agreed. I think that the DO letter 'recommendation' is just a formality. It appears that a DO letter is a "nice to have" item but I seriously doubt anyone will get an extra point (or lose a point) on that account. This has been confirmed by several posters in previous years. A big difference between TCOM and other DO schools in that TCOM applicants come from the TMDSAS pool - the same pool of applicants to MD schools, so very few applicants have shadowed a DO.

Does anyone know whether applicants with lower MCAT (with other factors being strong) get an interview invite later in the application cycle ? Is that the way TCOM usually works - I mean is it the usual trend ?

I noticed in here that people with good MCAT scores had been getting interview invites within 2 weeks of sending in the application - that's why wondering !