University of Minnesota- Twin Cities Secondary??

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

unsung

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Has anyone received a secondary from Twin Cities yet? I would like to start pre-writing since my MCAT scores aren't out yet. Thank you!

Members don't see this ad.

I have not heard of anyone actually receiving the secondary yet, but I did get an email from them a week ago stating that they have my AMCAS Primary and are going to screen it before I will be able to fill out a secondary. I have no idea how long this process may take, unfortunately.

Members don't see this ad :)
I got mine about a week ago.

Anyone else get an interview invite today? Mine was sent via email... I'm very excited!

Also, anyone know the info on number interviewed vs accepted (not solely matriculated). I have the MSAR but would like to know how many people they accepted.

I too got an email saying that they would send a secondary soon. Strange, because a few people have already gotten interviews, and my apps was in pretty early.

1. Beyond what you have written in your AMCAS Personal Comments, discuss your early life experiences, family background and aspects of your home community that have led to your decision to become a physician. Limit responses to 250 words.

2. Describe a difficult life experience and how you dealt with it.
Limit responses to 250 words.

3. Our medical school is committed to enrolling and graduating a diverse student body. The Admissions Committee considers the following: high academic potential, disadvantaged background, race and ethnicity, evidence of outstanding leadership, creativity, unique work or service experience, community involvement, non-traditional educational progression, and demonstrated commitment to working with diverse populations.

Please explain how you have demonstrated a commitment to diversity and/or working with diverse populations.

4. If you did not designate Minnesota as your state of legal residence on your AMCAS application, briefly describe any ties that you might have to this state.
Limit responses to 50 words.

5. Briefly describe what you are currently doing. If you have already graduated, please indicate what you have been doing since graduation, and what your plans are for the coming year.
Limit responses to 200 words.

6. Please explain any gaps in your education and/or work experiences since high school graduation that are not previously described in your application.

7. Should you not be accepted to medical school, the alternative career that you would pursue is:

8. Have you ever been convicted of any felony or misdemeanor? If YES, you must include a full explaination below.

Yep...have fun with these. I'm still finishing it up, but almost through it.

1. Beyond what you have written in your AMCAS Personal Comments, discuss your early life experiences, family background and aspects of your home community that have led to your decision to become a physician. Limit responses to 250 words.

2. Describe a difficult life experience and how you dealt with it.

3. Our medical school is committed to enrolling and graduating a diverse student body. The Admissions Committee considers the following: high academic potential, disadvantaged background, race and ethnicity, evidence of outstanding leadership, creativity, unique work or service experience, community involvement, non-traditional educational progression, and demonstrated commitment to working with diverse populations.

Please explain how you have demonstrated a commitment to diversity and/or working with diverse populations.

4. If you did not designate Minnesota as your state of legal residence on your AMCAS application, briefly describe any ties that you might have to this state.

5. Briefly describe what you are currently doing. If you have already graduated, please indicate what you have been doing since graduation, and what your plans are for the coming year.

6. Please explain any gaps in your education and/or work experiences since high school graduation that are not previously described in your application.

7. Should you not be accepted to medical school, the alternative career that you would pursue is:

8. Have you ever been convicted of any felony or misdemeanor? If YES, you must include a full explaination below.

Yep...have fun with these. I'm still finishing it up, but almost through it.

Thanks!!:love:

blaaah, i still haven't gotten this one yet ! i got the verified email about 10 days ago but still not secondary :(

would it be worth the while to fill out the secondary if i'm oos and have no ties to the state?

I have STILL not received a secondary. WTF?

Hi there, new to everything application wise here.

Would it be "wrong" to reply to the question of a secondary profession like "There is no secondary profession, I have always wanted to, and will become a doctor."

Or is that wrong, I think it shows determination and dedication to the medical field.

Or are really supposed to reply "Fighter Pilot".

Members don't see this ad :)
im wondering if this is worth filling out as an oos, if you're an avg. applicant.

Misdemeanor? What the heck? You have to tell them if you have been convicted of a MISDEMEANOR? Wow... Oops, sorry, got caught speeding... Guess that means I'm not good enough for your school.

Give me a break.

I haven't received it either... Strange...

finally!!!! got the secondary 2 minutes ago. (i got that first email on the 11th.)

Misdemeanor? What the heck? You have to tell them if you have been convicted of a MISDEMEANOR? Wow... Oops, sorry, got caught speeding... Guess that means I'm not good enough for your school.

Give me a break.

Hey buddy, how fast where you going to get a misdemeanor for speeding? Usually, and by that I mean the vast majority of the time, a speeding ticket is classified as an "Infraction". Misdemeanors are things like trespassing, petty theft, possession of marijuana, or disorderly conduct. So, no they do not want to know about your lead foot.

This is the only secondary that I've had to fill out that has nine essays. I really like Minneapolis, so I'm going to go ahead and try to plow through this one.

Hi there, new to everything application wise here.

Would it be "wrong" to reply to the question of a secondary profession like "There is no secondary profession, I have always wanted to, and will become a doctor."

Or is that wrong, I think it shows determination and dedication to the medical field.

Or are really supposed to reply "Fighter Pilot".

Personally, it depends on my mood. If it isn't a long ass secondary, I am nice and will probably bring up nursing or PA as something else I would do. Just to show that I'm not only after the whole "doctor" thing., i.e. I'm so in love with helping the dam people that I don't care about what I do in the hospital:hardy:

If it's a long ass annoying secondary, like the one in this thread, I just wrote two sentences: I do not see myself practicing anything else but medicine. If I am rejected, I will reapply, and if I am rejected again, I will reapply again.:smuggrin:

For those of you who received a secondary, when was your AMCAS verified?

I was verified on 8/12 and am still waiting :(

Also, does anyone know if they pre-screen applications?

For those of you who received a secondary, when was your AMCAS verified?

I was verified on 8/12 and am still waiting :(

Also, does anyone know if they pre-screen applications?

I too was verified on 8/12 and am still waiting. No e-mail, no nothing. Really weird. Duluth sent me the secondary like the day after I *submitted* my AMCAS.... grrrr Twin Cities. :mad:

Has anyone heard anything from Minnesota? Has everyone recieved the secondary invite now, and does anyone know when they start giving out interview invites?

I recieved my secondary from them a week ago and now am working on it, and am wondering how everyone else is doing.

Has anyone heard anything from Minnesota? Has everyone recieved the secondary invite now, and does anyone know when they start giving out interview invites?

I recieved my secondary from them a week ago and now am working on it, and am wondering how everyone else is doing.

i got mine about a week or two ago too ... so now i'm in the process of finishing it up - hopefully i'll have it in by early next week ?

I got mine last week as well. Hopefully have it sent out by this weekend.

does anyone know if you need to have the "Recommendation" section done before submitting the secondary?

I completed my secondary awhile back, but still not complete online.

It says my letters of recommendation have not arrived. I sent them through Interfolio. Why do we need to include the LORs' emails online?

I completed my secondary awhile back, but still not complete online.

It says my letters of recommendation have not arrived. I sent them through Interfolio. Why do we need to include the LORs' emails online?

I had the same problem. I had to send the LOR email through UofM's website to one of my letter writer and the day after he filled out that his letter was sent through VirtualEvals they checked me off. Give that a try.:)

I'm having the same trouble. Do I have to contact all my writers to tell them to send the letter to minnesota? What a pain, why do they even accept interfolio if they don't use it?

I'm having the same trouble. Do I have to contact all my writers to tell them to send the letter to minnesota? What a pain, why do they even accept interfolio if they don't use it?

You just have to have the people who wrote letters for you go on Minnesota's website and say that their letters are going to arrive by interfolio or whatever. So, just log on to your application and then go to letter and click on the send/resend email button next to their name. Then they will get a email telling them how to go online and say how their letter will arrive. Is this clear :(?

You just have to have the people who wrote letters for you go on Minnesota's website and say that their letters are going to arrive by interfolio or whatever. So, just log on to your application and then go to letter and click on the send/resend email button next to their name. Then they will get a email telling them how to go online and say how their letter will arrive. Is this clear :(?

Thank you, that is very clear and you have been very helpful... I just really hate to annoy my writers as they are all ridiculously busy and I got on some of their cases to get the letters into interfolio... Professors are slow about stuff... many of them ignore emails like this.

Err... filling out the LOR writers' e-mails is only necessary if they haven't already sent their letters to Interfolio or your committee. I sent my letters directly from Interfolio and they were marked received just fine. I didn't fill out their e-mails or do an "email invite" as that would've been redundant when I could just send it myself through Interfolio.

Err... filling out the LOR writers' e-mails is only necessary if they haven't already sent their letters to Interfolio or your committee. I sent my letters directly from Interfolio and they were marked received just fine. I didn't fill out their e-mails or do an "email invite" as that would've been redundant when I could just send it myself through Interfolio.

Not true. If you fill in at least one persons email and that person goes online and says their letter is arriving by VirtualEvals of Interfolio then the addmissions cmte know where to look. This will speed up the processing of your application. So, if you are just waiting for them to mark your letters as recieved you may want to send one of your letter writers the email through Minnesota. (Use the letter writer whom you talk to often so you can tell them the email is comming and they just have to say that their letter will arrive by ...(interfolio). This will speed up the application. Like I said earlier... I waited a few days and nothing happened then I had one recommender fill out how their letter would arrive and the next day all my letters were marked as recieved.

Hope this helps.

Also, I am sure you don't have to do this, but be prepared for it to take an extra week.

I'm thinking of applying to this school, but those essays look sooooo tedious. :sleep:

I'm thinking of applying to this school, but those essays look sooooo tedious. :sleep:

Its not too bad once you start on them. I really like the interface, it tells you how many characters you have left which makes it easier for me to write essays. In retrospect, I feel that the one essay schools are much tougher because then you only get one topic to talk about... With this, there are many small topics so you can make up for some mediocre essays with some good ones.

I decided not to fill this one out after I filled it out but forgot to click save.:smack::smack::smack:

Not true. If you fill in at least one persons email and that person goes online and says their letter is arriving by VirtualEvals of Interfolio then the addmissions cmte know where to look. This will speed up the processing of your application. So, if you are just waiting for them to mark your letters as recieved you may want to send one of your letter writers the email through Minnesota. (Use the letter writer whom you talk to often so you can tell them the email is comming and they just have to say that their letter will arrive by ...(interfolio). This will speed up the application. Like I said earlier... I waited a few days and nothing happened then I had one recommender fill out how their letter would arrive and the next day all my letters were marked as recieved.

Hope this helps.

Also, I am sure you don't have to do this, but be prepared for it to take an extra week.

Well, I sent my LORs via Interfolio on 9/2 and all four of them were marked received on 9/4. I didn't fill out the e-mail fields because I thought the fields were there to invite LOR writers if they hadn't already submitted their letters somewhere.

I should mention that I'm using Interfolio not through a pre-med committee or anything like that. I'm just using it to store letters myself that profs have sent over to Interfolio. Anyway, I don't remember if UMN had an option to select Interfolio, but I'm pretty sure most schools have that option in the secondary somewhere to indicate whether your letters will arrive as a committee letter or separately via Interfolio. If you select "committee letter" but the letters are actually going to get there by Interfolio, that might cause a delay. But I haven't had any problems with Interfolio so far.

Since it appears that this is the University of Minnesota's offical secondary application thread here I was wondering if an Admin or Mod could change the title to:

"2008-2009 University of Minnesota Secondary Application Thread"

This way people will always know what application cycle this tread is in reference to.

*6. Please explain any gaps in your education and/or work experiences since high school graduation that are not previously described in your application. (1200 char)

WHAT the heck does above question actually mean? With regard to the "work experience" part of the prompt, do they mean that we should explain work experience that **created the gaps** or do they mean gaps in work experience?

.Tks in advance. I think it could be anybody’s guess, IMO..

*6. Please explain any gaps in your education and/or work experiences since high school graduation that are not previously described in your application. (1200 char)

WHAT the heck does above question actually mean? With regard to the "work experience" part of the prompt, do they mean that we should explain work experience that **created the gaps** or do they mean gaps in work experience?

.Tks in advance. I think it could be anybody’s guess, IMO..

It is asking if, and if so, why you took a break from school or work. This is just here to clarify anything out of the ordinary. If you have been a full time student the last three years and worked/did research during the summer I would not worry about this question. Also, if you are 25 and have worked full time since getting your degree I still would not worry about it. If your mother became sick and you took a few months of from school to be with her and your family then explain that. If you were deployed to Iraq with the Army National Guard and had to leave your usual employment for a year, then explain that situation here.

That is how I read the question,
Hope that helps.

Only two of my writers have gone through with the minnesota letters of recommendation system (the reliable one). Do I have to get every writer to login or is this enough to point Univ of Minnesota in the right direction, since they were all sent together electronically via interfolio?

Only two of my writers have gone through with the minnesota letters of recommendation system (the reliable one). Do I have to get every writer to login or is this enough to point Univ of Minnesota in the right direction, since they were all sent together electronically via interfolio?

I just pointed them in the right direction with one of my recommendations. Then they found the rest. I have not idea why they would only mark some of them as recieved. However, my school uses VirtualEvals so maybe that makes a different.

Looks like all the rest were received and I'm complete finally! :D YAY! Good luck to everyone else.

Hey, does anyone remember how long it took for the personal comments to change from "entered" to "received"?

Thanks!

Update for any other slowpokes (like me) - rec'd the e-mail last wednesday 9/17 that I would be receiving the secondary via a separate e-mail, per the admin office the secondary e-mail will be sent to me 9/22 or 9/23; sounds like they're a little less backed up now. Thanks to the posters above who supplied the essay questions!

Is anyone interviewing here?
I will be in about a week!
Looks like I might not get student hosting since I asked for it too late... any locations to stay nearby?

Is anyone interviewing here?
I will be in about a week!
Looks like I might not get student hosting since I asked for it too late... any locations to stay nearby?

http://maps.google.com/maps?q=hotel...US:official&client=firefox-a&um=1&sa=N&tab=wl

The Radisson (615 Washington Ave SE) is pretty much across the street from the Medical School.

The Days Inn (2407 University Ave. Se) is a 10 minute (maybe less) walk.

The Holiday (1500 Washington Ave. South) in is also within walking distance, there is a free campus shuttle from near there as well, drops you off right by the Medical School.

Good luck!

http://maps.google.com/maps?q=hotel...US:official&client=firefox-a&um=1&sa=N&tab=wl

The Radisson (615 Washington Ave SE) is pretty much across the street from the Medical School.

The Days Inn (2407 University Ave. Se) is a 10 minute (maybe less) walk.

The Holiday (1500 Washington Ave. South) in is also within walking distance, there is a free campus shuttle from near there as well, drops you off right by the Medical School.

Good luck!

Wow! Thanks BIGTIME monkeygirl!

Status
Not open for further replies.