University of Maryland Class of 2011

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
So from the link above, for one semester (without paying late fees and diploma fees) including hospitilization insurance for a single student, you would be paying: $12, 296.15, and for a whole school year: $24,592.30. I think that once you take into consideration the living costs for a whole school year, you will end up borrowing like $45,000 like that financial aid packet they gave us said. I still think that its a pretty good deal in the end, especially if you can get a little scholarship money from UMD.

Members don't see this ad.

So from the link above, for one semester (without paying late fees and diploma fees) including hospitilization insurance for a single student, you would be paying: $12, 296.15, and for a whole school year: $24,592.30. I think that once you take into consideration the living costs for a whole school year, you will end up borrowing like $45,000 like that financial aid packet they gave us said. I still think that its a pretty good deal in the end, especially if you can get a little scholarship money from UMD.

Yeah that sounds about right. I can tell you that I do 38,500 in loans, which is the max stafford loans. 8500 is sub, and 30k is unsub. I didn't get any university grant or scholarship initially (probably b/c I'm married and whatnot) but they did say that I might get additionally $$ once the school year is underway if they find they have more to spread around. And sure enough, I got another 5k (so 2500 a semester) last week in universty grant and scholarship together. I think most of the other in-staters here had university grants/scholarships to start out with.

Yeah that sounds about right. I can tell you that I do 38,500 in loans, which is the max stafford loans. 8500 is sub, and 30k is unsub. I didn't get any university grant or scholarship initially (probably b/c I'm married and whatnot) but they did say that I might get additionally $$ once the school year is underway if they find they have more to spread around. And sure enough, I got another 5k (so 2500 a semester) last week in universty grant and scholarship together. I think most of the other in-staters here had university grants/scholarships to start out with.
A couple questions:
1)Does someone sit down with you to help you budget out all that money for a whole school year?
2) I'll be getting married this upcoming summer so I wouldn't be able to put a married status on my FAFSA, so would that help me possibly get more money as an instater?
3) Is $38,500 enough to live relatively comfortably? Or did you not borrow up to $45,000 because you were married and your husbands income would help alot?

Members don't see this ad :)
A couple questions:
1)Does someone sit down with you to help you budget out all that money for a whole school year?
2) I'll be getting married this upcoming summer so I wouldn't be able to put a married status on my FAFSA, so would that help me possibly get more money as an instater?
3) Is $38,500 enough to live relatively comfortably? Or did you not borrow up to $45,000 because you were married and your husbands income would help alot?

1) Pretty much no. They take out what is owed to them in terms of fees and tuition and whatnot, and they write you a check each semester for what's left over. There is a presentation during orientation by a well meaning lady I think her name is Caroline Pritchard) who threatens you with insurmountable debt and lifelong misery if you go to Starbucks. Her intent is a rather "shock and awe" tye of protection - if you are afraid to spend money, you will spend it wisely. For me, it was overblown, as I graduated in 2003 and had been out on my own for awhile. For some people fresh out of college, it may have been useful. I think if you called up the financial aid office and asked for someone to sit down with you to help you budget, they would set up a meeting. I haven't done it, but I assume they would do it because that's just the kind of place Maryland is. Think of Caroline Pritchard as an over protective surrogate aunt.

2) Unless you are ultra rich, you are guaranteed the $38500 in loans that I got. Beyond that, if you only have one person responsible for the income of your family, your EFC on the FAFSA will be lower than if you are married with a spouse who works. The caveat is if your spouse is a student as well, your EFC will probably be lower - but I'm not an expert.

3) Because my husband works, we didn't need to take any more than the 38500 I was initially given. I didn't want to look for private loans with higher interest, especially when the 30k is unsub and accruing interest as we speak. Not that I turned down the extra 2500 I got in the mail when they gave me the university grant and need based scholarship last week. Since my husband started a new business (he's at the end of his first year as a realtor) and I was making most of the money before medical school, we decided to take all of the loans given to us, with a decision to reevaluate next year to see if we need to take all of them. His income is significant to us, but we could probably get buy without it if we had to, but we'd cut more corners than we do right now. I can tell you that I haven't had problems paying my mortgage (we bought a house before I started school) or buying food, etc. I ended up with about 10500 for the semester given to me after Maryland took out their share (that includes loan money and the grant and scholarship) and so far so good. That's probably a bit higher than some, but I opted to find my own health insurance rather than use the hospitalization insurance through the school, so that $$ didn't get taken by the school, I have to pay it to my insurance company myself. I would see what Coz has to say, as he is a single male and an in-stater who lives with a roommate. LW is single, in state, and bought a house, but rents half of it. SQ is out of state and married. So I think either Coz or LW would be closest to your situation, if your spouse is also a student, and I would be closest if your spouse is not a student.

Oooh, money talk!!! My favorite subject! :) j/k. But I did manage to get some extra help this year (most of it is renewable for the next 3!) by doing a few things...If you apply for your FAFSA early, and write all of your congressmen, it is possible to get some grants/scholarships that will cover some of your expenses. I was able to get $6K/year, which doesn't put a HUGE dent in my costs, but every little bit helps. I don't know if marital status tremendously affects these grants, but pester and nag financial aid every chance you get. I think it's the squeaky wheel that really does get the grease, and the worst that you will hear is "no." They have a lot of money that goes unclaimed each year, so if noone else wants it, who better as a recipient than you?

With that $6K/year help, I only took out the Federal Staffords (totalling $38,500). After paying for tuition/fees/insurance/other admin-related costs, I got back about $10,000 for rent and other living expenses. (Keep in mind that I worked prior to coming to med school, so I did have some cash in the bank proir to matriculating). However,at the rate that I'm spending this semester, I OVERBORROWED and will probably pay back some of what I was loaned this semester, in addition to probably asking for LESS next semester. The main point is that I didn't have to take out any PRIVATE loans, and that simplifies things a whole helluva lot.

Or, I may put that extra cash that I have leftover after this semester into my home repairs/emergency account, depending on what I need done to my house this winter. I'm now realizing that my insulation sucks, my kitchen sink pipes are leaky, and the kitten that I've inherited is really stupid. So having a little extra money around for home stuff is probably a good idea. :)

I heard the whole congressmen shpeal.. so what does one write to them saying? an essay of some sort?

I heard the whole congressmen shpeal.. so what does one write to them saying? an essay of some sort?

My husband did it last year for law school scholarships. You basically have to call each one individually and they all have different procedures. Some have an application to fill out, some want you to send a personal statement, etc. He spent about 2 hours filling out an app and ended up getting a nice scholarship from...I think her name is Ana Gutierrez?

So how early should I start looking for housing?.. see I'm gonna be gone all summer, but my current lease ends in may.. so should I get a place in June so I can be sure to find something when I get back?.. so far I'm only thinking university suites.. it's close.. I don't want the hassle of a car.. and public transport is out of the question. Do they let you get your own furniture? do they have a garage?

So how early should I start looking for housing?.. see I'm gonna be gone all summer, but my current lease ends in may.. so should I get a place in June so I can be sure to find something when I get back?.. so far I'm only thinking university suites.. it's close.. I don't want the hassle of a car.. and public transport is out of the question. Do they let you get your own furniture? do they have a garage?

I don't live in USuites so I can't answer the furnishing issue, but I can tell you that people living in USuites and Pascault Row have reserved space in the student parking garage (Lexington Garage).

The suites are furnished. Don't know if they have a problem with you bringing your own stuff though.

They have their own deadline, but you don't have to look for housing THAT early if you decide to live in a local apartment complex.

Hi UMBers!

I am an out of stater who would LOVE to attend the Univ of Maryland SOM. But, the out of state tuition is.....pretty steep. Anyone know if they give scholarships to out of state people, and if so, how much they're worth? I assume merit scholarships are based primarily on MCAT/GPA.....anyone know what the avg was of scholarships offered this past year? (my #s: 38R, 3.9)

Any helpful advice/tips/commentary welcomed (and much needed!)!

I have a logistical question for people who live in the University Suites: It seems like hte apts are very close to school, however they are also very close to the danger zone...so lets say its 8PM on a given night, is there a place to go and get food?? is there a place to go grocery shopping?? It seems like you pay a premium to be in a nice apt very close to school, but I dont understand how you negotiate all the other aspects of life like, um, eating...I hope someone can make me feel better about this. Also, I am a female so i think that changes things a little, maybe id get a tazer or something.

I have a logistical question for people who live in the University Suites: It seems like hte apts are very close to school, however they are also very close to the danger zone...so lets say its 8PM on a given night, is there a place to go and get food?? is there a place to go grocery shopping?? It seems like you pay a premium to be in a nice apt very close to school, but I dont understand how you negotiate all the other aspects of life like, um, eating...I hope someone can make me feel better about this. Also, I am a female so i think that changes things a little, maybe id get a tazer or something.

AMEN! I'm thinking Mace days are long gone.. so hypothetically, where WOULD I get a tazer heh.. and is it legal for me to carry around?

Now would you choose Maryland over Miami or Temple?.. Seriously? B'more over florida?

Members don't see this ad :)
AMEN! I'm thinking Mace days are long gone.. so hypothetically, where WOULD I get a tazer heh.. and is it legal for me to carry around?

Now would you choose Maryland over Miami or Temple?.. Seriously? B'more over florida?

Haha, its really all about the instate $$$...and i like UMD as a school, obviously not location. Miami would be an awesome place to live tho!!
I think it might depend on the state, but it is legal to carry a tazer as long as you have a concealed weapons permit...we can take the class together.
i think you could get one at a ranger surplus or your local fire arms dealer.

Over Temple? Definitely.

Miami is a tough choice. I hate Florida weather, so I'm biased ;)

just about to go to sleep after catching up with a couple of this week's missed lectures...liking the slower pace of biochem as compared to that of anatomy:D

so i live in the suites and can answer your questions:
-if you don't want to or can't cook dinner on a particular night, you can safely walk to McDonalds or the Hospital (Mama Ilardo's, Subway, Donna's, Cypriana, cafetaria selection). I think Lexington Market closes at 5 or 6 p.m. so that's out.
-There's a small grocery store in Lexington Market along with all the produce/meat stalls. I had the same concern about starving during med school before I got here. You'll figure out what works for you after the first couple of weeks. For me, I've found that it's best to load up on nonperishables and get perishables every 1.5 weeks. I also cook enough so that I have some leftover for a second (sometimes third) meal.
-you can bring your own additional furniture/lighting
-UniSuites has an attached garage

just about to go to sleep after catching up with a couple of this week's missed lectures...liking the slower pace of biochem as compared to that of anatomy:D

so i live in the suites and can answer your questions:
-if you don't want to or can't cook dinner on a particular night, you can safely walk to McDonalds or the Hospital (Mama Ilardo's, Subway, Donna's, Cypriana, cafetaria selection). I think Lexington Market closes at 5 or 6 p.m. so that's out.
-There's a small grocery store in Lexington Market along with all the produce/meat stalls. I had the same concern about whether I'd starve during medical school before getting here. You'll figure out what works for you after the first couple of weeks. For me, I've found that it's best to load up on nonperishables and get perishables every 1.5 weeks. I also cook enough so that I have some leftover for a second (sometimes third) meal.
-you can bring your own additional furniture/lighting
-UniSuites has an attached garage

thanks docster

Temple is an awesome school with a great reputation nationwide. It really prepares you clinically and you get a lot of "hands on" experience that you won't get at most schools. If you're interesting in helping the underserved then Temple is a great school for prepare you. The students are laidback and everyone helps each other out. Miami has beautiful weather, beautiful people, etc. It's a bit more cut throat and the faculty are more concerned about their research than actually teaching. The faculty at Temple are dedicated at teaching and make themselves available to help you.
Best advice is to visit both schools and find out where you see yourself because that's where you'll be spending the next four years of your life

Hey guys – I figured I would chime in some advice since I have a little time and I wish I would have gotten some advice when I was in your shoes. I’m a fourth year at Maryland and feel like I could give some perspective.

First, about the safety of Baltimore - it is no worse or better then other major cities around us. For the most part you will not be going into the sketchy parts of Baltimore if you live within a mile of the campus – most of the crime is located outside of the University perimeter and since the University is expanding (mean police will patrol further and further) it is becoming safer around here. I just want to Temple for a residency interview last week and have to say it’s campus is located in an area with much more crime surrounding the hospital then Maryland. When living in the city you have to use common sense but, you shouldn’t be discouraged from moving here because you are scared of being robbed/mugged/ect. Don’t walk around by yourself after dark, don’t carry large amounts of cash or wear flashy clothes/jewelry at night, and don’t be stupid. That is the same as in College Park … when I was an undergraduate I knew about a dozen people who were either robbed or raped - I’ve only had one classmate get robbed in Baltimore (and that was b/c he was stupid and was walking around by himself at 2am). So, please don’t let your fear dissuade you from living down here. It was the best decision I’ve ever made.

To be honest, living in the city is absolutely incredible. You can walk to almost anything you want (bars, restaurants, museums, Ravens stadium, library, ect). You are close to school so when you are done studying or finished with your day in the hospital you don’t have to get in your car and drive half an hour to get home. Also, it is reasonable to live down here. In the last five years Baltimore has undergone what they call the revitalization – meaning the city has poured a ton of money into making the city a more attractive place to live for the citizens of Maryland. With this has come an increase in the rent – and a whole slue of new places to live. Right now there is so much construction going on around the city it’s crazy. But, that bodes well for all you guys b/c you are more likely to have rent competition since I don’t see all these places being able to fill their buildings within the first few years of them being opened. That being said, it is still going to cost you around $1000 to rent an apartment if you want to live alone. If that is too much for you there are always town houses that you can share with roommates. Some of my classmate’s pay as little as $400 a month to live in a townhouse with fellow students. It is all up to you as your preference.

If there is any advice I can give you about taking out loans – you will be very poor when you get out of med school. That is a fact unless you can pull in some scholarships or are lucky enough to have your parents footing the bill. I’m looking at 150K in debt in six months – doesn’t feel good but unfortunately that is what happens when you are a med student. I’m not worried because after residency I will be making at least 150K a year so I’ll pay off those loans. You have to keep the whole debt thing in perspective.

Alright I just have to put a plug in for UMD. It is an excellent school. We have some very amazing teachers and the new dean holds promise for making it an even better school. There is so much history and pride at Maryland and I can promise you that when you reach time for graduation you will be prepared for internship/residency. I don’t regret coming here for even a second.

Best of luck and hope everyone enjoys the last year of college – maybe I will see some of you during interviews (I have given a few tours and have a few more to give in the coming months).

Great info! Any remaining qualms I had about living in baltimore are definitely gone.. thanks for taking the time.

Any new acceptances? anyone backing out? Lets keep this baby aliiive ya'll!

I hate to leave this party, but I am leaning toward UVA right now...I will make a final decision after financial aid letters come out, and the second look weekends

That's interesting.. I have a UVA choice too. Why are you leaning towards there?

Oh and I don't think Maryland has a 2nd look, and UVA didn't mention one.. although they sent me some useless magazine in a huge envelope this weekend nearly giving me a heart attack.. I thought it was some other school smiling my way:oops:

Weird. I have a UVA acceptance too....I wonder if there's some kind of secret conspiracy going on??

I seem to remember reading in the UMD class of 2010 thread about a Second Look weekend, so maybe UMD does have one? I'm not positive though.

Would it be extremely lame for me to say that I wish we didn't have to wait so long for med school to start? :D

itll be pretty easy for me to establish instate, so money aside my reasons for UVA are: P/F grades, Charlottesville, 3rd year rotations at Fairfax in NOVA and I get to live with my fiance for a few months during that :)
and a gut feeling I get-I think it comes down to that for a lot of people.

I still <3 Terps!!

And yes, I too wish school started in less than 8 months, but thats mostly b/c I hate my job, although I have been able to shadow in some awesome surgeries :D

See I like the INOVA part too.. northern virginia is awesome. But then you have the whole Roanoke 3 months.. I hear that's no-cell-phone-signal-rural.
But aside from that vanity, I did looove Char, it's my kinda small town.. I love that little strip they have.. 'the corner' was it? then again, it's not diverse at all. P/F could be good and bad.. some residencies like seeing actual grades..
Hospital and Facilities don't really compare with maryland..

blah. confusing..
And after I thought I was done with my interviewing, I got another interview invite out west. I've forgotten all my meticulously crafted answers :oops:

Hey guys,

I just got done giving tours for interviews (so if there is anyone out there that had me as a tour guide give me a hello) and wanted to add some info that might help you make a decision.

Anyway, I said this today to the applicants and being able to look back with some experience I will tell you that going to a pass fail school is not any different then going to an A/B/C/fail. The reason being that MOST (I can't speak for all pass/fail programs) give high pass/pass/low pass/fail ... translating into A/B/C/fail. So even though it sounds great that you only have to “pass” - a lot of times it is a little more complicated then that. All residencies need to have a way to filter out candidates – as you know grades matter and that continues through med school too. This doesn’t mean that if you go to a strict pass/fail school you will not get a competitive residency – they have other ways to filter out candidates.

Also, something to think about - many medical schools rank their classes in the Deans letter (that is like the 'master' letter of recommendation that is sent to residency programs). Our school does it in thirds - so the first third of our class gets a rating of something like exceptional, the middle third gets excellent and the bottom third gets great. I don't know if these are the actual adjectives they use or not but just to give you guys an idea. I don’t know why they just can’t say student X is in the top third but, that is what we do here.

When giving tours I often get the question “what is the USMLE passing rate”. While that is a good question I must warn you guys that it can be a loaded question. First, think about highly competitive schools. They tend to pull in students who test well – higher MCAT scores and higher grades then the less competitive schools (sounds really stupid b/c all med schools are competitive but, hopefully you get my point). I truly believe that some people test better then others however; I also believe that standardized tests are very motivational dependent. If you put in the work to study hard and get help in areas you need you will do just fine for the steps.

And finally, I have tried to tell people to really look around when you are on interviews. See if you one – like the city you will be living in for four years. Being in a surrounding that you enjoy can be very important b/c even though med school is time consuming, you will have plenty of time to do other things. Two – do you like the people (both the students and the faculty)? You will be around these people during a very stressful time in your life, surrounding yourself with people you get along with makes it much less demanding. And three – make sure you think about your learning style and determine if that school facilitates your learning technique. Do you like to sit in lectures for hours on end and be given all the material you will need to know for a test? If so then you should go to a school that has longer lectures with less self-study time. Or do you like to study more on your own? If so then you should go to a school with less lecture time.

Hopefully this will help!

UVa is P/F. I dont understand the Honors/High Pass/ Pass/ Fail thing, its like letter grades in a shiny new coat. I didnt mean to turn this thread into a UVa vs UMD fiasco; I think its really is a gut feeling you have to go with, and cant be objectively assessed by other people (at least for me). Im sort of a small town gal...

Yeah, if I could change one thing about UMD it would be to make the first year pass/fail. No high pass or anything, just P/F.

It wouldn't matter, because you would still be getting ranked against your other classmates. Just because 99% of the class passes, doesn't mean they won't be taking into account who passed with scores above, at, or below the average. I didn't really take grading systems or board scores into account when choosing a med school, for the reasons loveumms mentioned. I think board scores are more reflective of the person taking the test than the school. I picked UMD because the students seemed happy, the class schedule was ideal for me (I like flexible schedules and don't usually have a problem motivating myself to study), and the location seemed like it would be fun and interesting.
Anyway, for everyone trying to decide which school to go to, its a personal decision, and each person has a different set of criteria they think is important. What matters is that you try and figure out what you want from your med school, and choose appropriately. You've got plenty of time to figure it out, so don't stress yourselves out over it. Good luck with the rest of the application process! :luck:

Hope someone has some idea of whats going on..

I'm a Maryland resident, complete on Oct 20th (I went to UMCP and they were really late in sending my letters out), and still no word from UMD. It doesnt make sense that I wouldnt hear back from my state school, I have good credentials (31P, 3.96, lotsa research and clinical experience, etc).

When were you guys complete that you interviewed in early October?

Do you know how late they send out interview invitations? Email or snail mail?

Is it safe to assume that I am not going to be getting an interview? If thats the case, that kind of sucks..

Thanks a bunch, and congrats you guys. Hopefully I'll join you in the "accepted and going" group =)

I'm a Maryland resident, complete on Oct 20th (I went to UMCP and they were really late in sending my letters out), and still no word from UMD. It doesnt make sense that I wouldnt hear back from my state school, I have good credentials (31P, 3.96, lotsa research and clinical experience, etc).

Is it safe to assume that I am not going to be getting an interview? If thats the case, that kind of sucks..

Thanks a bunch, and congrats you guys. Hopefully I'll join you in the "accepted and going" group =)

I was complete in September, got invited to interview via email in october, interviewed in november, and got accepted via snail mail last week.

Maryland gives out interviews very late, you are nowhere near out of the running yet. Just hang tight

Hang in there! I'm an instate MSI who was complete in late October/early Nov. last cycle (there was some trouble getting my letter sent out as well). I didn't interview until March, but I'm here! So you'll interview later, but that doesn't mean its a lost cause! For me, Maryland was my top choice, and I let them know that in as many ways as possible without making myself annoying, but I don't know if that helped or not. (Actually I probably crossed the line into annoying). Keep us updated!

Hi all. Have you guys heard of this pre-med school program at UMD that they have the summer before? Anyone have any info on it? Just a little curious...

Hi all. Have you guys heard of this pre-med school program at UMD that they have the summer before? Anyone have any info on it? Just a little curious...

The PSP is about a month long in July. It is taught by the newly minted 2nd year class (so, us when you all get here). I think around 15 people enroll in it. You get a stipend for participating as well. Basically, its a preview of anatomy and a little bit of biochem. There are lectures, tests, tips, etc given by the 2nd years. Basically it is a jump start to school to get you in the mindset of how things are a little bit in advance. I didn't do it, but some people on here from our class have, and they seemed to find it useful. You get your own cadaver and get to hit the lab and get a real good look at everything before the rest of the class does.

I'd say if you're interested, go for it. Personally, I valued the extra month off ;) but to each their own.

I did PSP in 2006, and I'm also applying to teach it this coming summer (YAY!), so perhaps I will be one of your instructors! :)
If I had it to do all over again, I would DEFINITELY enroll in PSP. It helped immensely.

However, keep in mind that I had been out of school for over a year (and out of undergrad for 5 years) when I started the program, so I felt refreshed and ready to go back to class. If you are coming straight out of undergrad/post-bacc/full-time coursework, you may want to consider taking some time off from school and waiting until everyone else starts in August, so that you can have a few months to do something un-scholastic before you sign the next 7+ years of your life away (I'm just kidding, it's not that bad).

One of the beautiful things about PSP is that it only runs from June 2 until July 13th, so you'll have 4 weeks AFTER the program to relax, go on vacation, make some money, etc. I also found it possible to work while studying for the program (although not full-time anymore). I had a lot of fun last summer and met some really cool people. It's totally worth it if you are willing to put in the effort (plus you make some money - it's not that much, but you're still getting paid to study, and like I said, you can work on top of that also!)

BTW, I was wondering what happened to this thread. It disappeared for a while.

And Karakiz79, I don't mean to be confrontational, but this entire process "doesn't make sense." Just because you have decent credentials and research/experience doesn't mean you can automatically expect an interview at your state school. Everyone here has superb credentials, lots of research, and tons of clinical experience, so unfortunately, even though your portfolio is undoubtedly outstanding, so is everyone else's. There's really no formula to it - some schools that you think you never had a shot at will "bite," and others that you considered "safeties" will pass you by without a word until April or May. I've been there a couple of times (I was a re-applicant), and one of the more important lessons I learned was to get over my pre-med-sense-of-entitlement. Furthermore, if Maryland is your #1 choice and you wouldn't hesitate to say "yes" to going here, I would let them know that. They seem to be receptive to those kinds of students, as long as you're genuine and not just trying to increase your interview/acceptance count.
Like I said, not trying to be confrontational - there are just no "definites" or guarantees in this process. If you expect anything, you're just setting yourself up for disappointment. Hang in there, be flexible, and stay humble.

I did PSP in 2006, and I'm also applying to teach it this coming summer (YAY!), so perhaps I will be one of your instructors! :)
If I had it to do all over again, I would DEFINITELY enroll in PSP. It helped immensely.

However, keep in mind that I had been out of school for over a year (and out of undergrad for 5 years) when I started the program, so I felt refreshed and ready to go back to class. If you are coming straight out of undergrad/post-bacc/full-time coursework, you may want to consider taking some time off from school and waiting until everyone else starts in August, so that you can have a few months to do something un-scholastic before you sign the next 7+ years of your life away (I'm just kidding, it's not that bad).

One of the beautiful things about PSP is that it only runs from June 2 until July 13th, so you'll have 4 weeks AFTER the program to relax, go on vacation, make some money, etc. I also found it possible to work while studying for the program (although not full-time anymore). I had a lot of fun last summer and met some really cool people. It's totally worth it if you are willing to put in the effort (plus you make some money - it's not that much, but you're still getting paid to study, and like I said, you can work on top of that also!)

Since it sounds like there are only about 15 students in PSP and you even get a stipend, I assume it's a competitive process to apply? (not that I'm shocked - after the pre-med routine I'd be shocked if something WASN'T competitive) How does getting into the program work?

Oh, and I missed the action on this thread too!

Since it sounds like there are only about 15 students in PSP and you even get a stipend, I assume it's a competitive process to apply? (not that I'm shocked - after the pre-med routine I'd be shocked if something WASN'T competitive) How does getting into the program work?

Oh, and I missed the action on this thread too!

It isn't. I think its just first come first serve, and I'd be shocked if whoever wanted to do it didn't get in. Just tell admissions you want to do it when they start signing people up.

Hey everyone. I hope everyone is doing well in finishing up their last semester of college (or couple months of work). I just got a letter from UMD offering me $20K/year! Since I'm instate, I guess this would cover tuition, so what I wanted to know is what are the other costs in attending Maryland that I would deal with and how much does that add up to? I can't really get excited about the scholarship until my fiancee gets accepted into Howard, so I'm crossing my fingers!

Hey Dr. Jay, congrats on the scholarship. I wish that UMB would give me that kind of money - I'd definitely study a lot harder :)
Anyway, I think tuition+fees (for the entire year) is ~24-25K, so you will need to take out some Federal Staffords. Also, cost-of-living is relatively low for a city, but it is still a city, and there are some "nicer" areas that rival DC in terms of rent costs. You said that your fiancee will possibly be attending HU? Then it might be advisable to live somewhere in between, like Columbia (still fairly expensive), or somewhere else along the 95 corridor (unless she's cool with living in Baltimore City and commuting all the way down to HU every day.) Rent/mortgage will make probably the most significant part of your non-school-related costs.

To give you an idea of what I spend in a month, my mortgage is about $1300, and then everything else (including car insurance, all of my utilities, grocery spending, entertainment, gas, travel, etc.) goes on my Visa card. My monthly charges are usually in the $700-800 range, although some months are worse (e.g. around Christmas time, or when I first bought my house and was buying stuff left and right to help furnish it). Keep in mind that I get reimbursed each month by my roommate, usually around $700 (rent + utilities). So I try to keep my spending below $1400/month. Over 9 months of school, that's $12,600. Pretty manageable. I was able to take out only Staffords (they will give you up to $8,500 subsidized and $30,000 unsubsidized).

Now, I plan on making some money this summer while working to cover my mortgage/living expenses. The surplus that I will have from summer employment (if any), plus whatever is left from my Staffords, will go to two places:
#1) A emergency bank account, to keep me prepared in the event something catastrophic happens to my house, car, or family.
#2) Straight back to Uncle Sam. I'm not hanging on to excess I don't need at 6.8%. I'm going to pay the interest plus whatever I feel comfortable NOT having in #1, and hopefully I'll be able to gauge my borrowing better for next year.

As it is, for this year, I wasn't too far off the mark. I suggest that you draft a couple of budgets and start thinking about what you're going to have to spend (take into account things like commuting, your car, food, insurance, little things like that, because they add up), and take out the minimum amount of Staffords that you can. Don't UNDERborrow - I think it's better to err on the side of caution, and it's always a good idea to have an emergency fund (especially if you own a house and/or car).

I love this subject (obviously), so if you want to talk about it any more, PM me.

Hi UMBers!

I am an out of stater who would LOVE to attend the Univ of Maryland SOM. But, the out of state tuition is.....pretty steep. Anyone know if they give scholarships to out of state people, and if so, how much they're worth? I assume merit scholarships are based primarily on MCAT/GPA.....anyone know what the avg was of scholarships offered this past year? (my #s: 38R, 3.9)

Any helpful advice/tips/commentary welcomed (and much needed!)!

I just received a $30k/yr offer in the mail and am OOS. I assume they are pretty generous to OOSers.

Good Luck:luck:

for those of you who got scholarships from umb, did those come with your acceptance letter or after? how much time after?

and does anyone know how much the Univ Suites actually cost? it seems its alot of money...as in like one of the most expensive housing costs out of all the med schools....

for those of you who got scholarships from umb, did those come with your acceptance letter or after? how much time after?

and does anyone know how much the Univ Suites actually cost? it seems its alot of money...as in like one of the most expensive housing costs out of all the med schools....

after, mine came about 3 weeks post-acceptance

Studio is ~1000, 2BR is ~8-900 (per room). Expensive, but furnished, school internet, crazy tight security..etc.

Studio is ~1000, 2BR is ~8-900 (per room). Expensive, but furnished, school internet, crazy tight security..etc.

Just wanted to bring this thread back.

Also had a quick question. How much does University of Maryland anticipate students will spend on rent? I was just wondering what price range I should be looking at for appartments.

Just wanted to bring this thread back.

Also had a quick question. How much does University of Maryland anticipate students will spend on rent? I was just wondering what price range I should be looking at for appartments.

Not sure what they expect, but most apartments in the area are around 1000 for a single, 1200 for a double. I split a house with 2 others for 600 each (plus electricity and cable/internet). You can get things a lot cheaper the farther away from downtown you go. Hampden has some really cheap places.

I have a 2-story townhouse that's basically 2-1br condos stacked on top of each other. My roommate has her own kitchen, bathroom, living room, and bedroom (basically, as I said, her own 1br). I only charge her $650/month. However, we do live 2 miles from campus and have to drive in.
Stuff closer to downtown can be comparable in price (like Coz's house), but you're not going to have as much room and you're going to have to have roommates.