University of Maryland Class of 2010 part 01

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
has anyone on hold been outright waitlisted yet? I'm instate and still on hold. There really isn't anything more I can do except beg with letters and such which probably hurts more than it helps.

Members don't see this ad.

LadyWolverine said:
Man, I'm still bitter about the B'More Colts up and leaving for Indy in the middle of the night...even though I was like 4 at the time...:D

But seriously, what a gutless move.
Seriously. I was 1 at the time, and I'm sure I was mighty pissed off then too! I can only imagine how the people who grew up with the Colts reacted.

Hey Indy, if you're listening, give us our history back you jerks! John Unitas was not an Indianapolis Colt.

jtothek said:
has anyone on hold been outright waitlisted yet? I'm instate and still on hold. There really isn't anything more I can do except beg with letters and such which probably hurts more than it helps.

Hang in there, jtothek! (I had to read your name over like 6 times before I understood it...I had to do the same things with plzletmein...i was reading it like "J-toe-theck")

There are only 3 or 4 of us posting on here who have been admitted, so maybe it's a good sign that UMD hasn't accepted a big chunk of folks just yet!

In the meantime, come join the party...hot wings all around! And maybe, if you ask nicely, Giggles will share some of the booze in his fridge.

Members don't see this ad :)
Wait, wait! ...are you a true Marylander??

edit: and hey! we rank 17 out of 65 class threads on here, and moving up fast! This will be the greatest 4 student class Maryland has ever had.

Cozmosis said:
edit: and hey! we rank 17 out of 65 class threads on here, and moving up fast! This will be the greatest 4 student class Maryland has ever had.

Just like the state itself...we may be small, but we sure do make a lot of noise!! It's quality over quantity.

All 4 of us should get straight As, too!

Dr.Giggles said:
Well, you got into UVA. UVA is ranked 28 I think vs. UMD's 43. UVA is a top-tier school and they have their basic sciences curriculum in 1.5 years vs. 2, so it gives you more time to study for the boards. Maryland is a good public school especially if you think tuition is more important.

thanks for tha advice. tuition is important, but the education and oppurtunities are way more important,and it seems that UVA will give me that. How can I put down a top tier school for MD?!! I could never forgive myself. And not only MD, there are other schools that students are telling me are great choices such as EVMS and Meharry for the people and professors, or Uconn. Deep down, I know I want UVA, but why do I feel confused?

Passion461 said:
thanks for tha advice. tuition is important, but the education and oppurtunities are way more important,and it seems that UVA will give me that. How can I put down a top tier school for MD?!! I could never forgive myself. And not only MD, there are other schools that students are telling me are great choices such as EVMS and Meharry for the people and professors, or Uconn. Deep down, I know I want UVA, but why do I feel confused?

If you are worried about rankings, go to UVA. Virginia has a great program...my cousin is there now and she is enjoying it. But keep in mind that it is in rural Virginia. I don't know if that will have any influence on the types of experiences you have (for example, patient population, etc.), but I imagine that it might when compared to an urban school. But I'm not knocking UVA...I rather like our cousins to the south. :D

Just food for thought...I think it's stupid to rely on rankings when schools are that close in number. If I thought that it made a lot of difference to go to a #30-something school vs. a #40-something school, I would be at USC or Colorado (although I must wait until 3/15 to see if I have been accepted to CU...:) ) in the blink of an eye. But I think that Maryland is totally comparable to these schools, and, in some ways, superior. So don't let (somewhat arbitrary) numbers have more of an influence on your choice than things like environment, curriculum, overall student attitude, opportunities, and, unfortunately, money.

You are right that the education quality and opportunities are more important than tuition. I'm just saying that I haven't seen a lack of that quality or those opportunities during my visits to UMD. If UVAs curriculum is right up your alley, and you've had nothing but positive experiences there, and the students seemed happy, go with UVA. It seems like you have the same gut feeling about Virginia that I do about Maryland.

:)
-LW

Passion461 said:
They are both mid-tier. The rankings are based on research anyway. I don't see how UVA would offer any other additional educational opportunities, not to mention a schedule that does not offer as much out of class time to work on other things.

If this was a top 5 or 10, or even 15 school, I might worry about this kind of thing. When you're looking at the muddled middle, I'd take less debt and not look back.

This only addresses the opportunities. If you liked UVA better, go to UVA! Both places will get you a great education on similar levels.

3 pages already!!!

I'm back at work and ready to waste more time keeping the MD thread alive!

Gotta love SDN...great for procrastinating!

Cozmosis said:
This is all I do all day at work :horns:

I don't even know why I post so much on this thread, I haven't even been accepted yet and don't know if I will. Chances are not favorable once I'm the waitlist.

Dr.Giggles said:
I don't even know why I post so much on this thread, I haven't even been accepted yet and don't know if I will. Chances are not favorable once I'm the waitlist.

Giggles! I don't want to hear that kind of negative attitude on here! Keep the faith! Did you write that letter yet?

Members don't see this ad :)
LadyWolverine said:
Giggles! I don't want to hear that kind of negative attitude on here! Keep the faith! Did you write that letter yet?

Yes and No! I haven't written the Letter of Intent yet, but I've written them an update letter. I want to wait for some schools to hear back first before committing to Maryland. But, Maryland is pretty high on my list, if not my top choice. I got some Aces up my sleeve: good fall grades, more ECs, additional LOR, design project, plus help/advice from my premed office.

I always expect the worse and hope for the best. According to last year, they threw around 200 in-state acceptance/330 in-state applicants post-interview for a class of ~115 in-state seats with about 220 total acceptances given out by May 15th. I gotta fight for some tough real-estate, only 1 person came off the waitlist from UMD's class of 2009 SDN thread.

jtothek said:

Hold = Waitlist. Sorry man, but you and I are in the same boat at least.

Cozmosis said:
No replies since YESTERDAY? For shame!

I know, I know...I got swamped at work today and haven't gotten on SDN until now...and I'm leaving in a hour!! I have to get my daily quota!! Let's post like crazy fools!

Mixtli said:
I haven't written the Letter of Intent yet, but I've written them an update letter. I want to wait for some schools to hear back first before committing to Maryland.

Well, I'm guessing that this is part of the problem. I don't fault you for holding out for your top choice...if there was a school that I felt was a better fit for me, I would do the same. But I think this is what many schools (state schools in particular) safeguard against by waitlisting/holding people...they want to make sure that the folks that they accept REALLY want to go there, and aren't just applying as a "back-up". (And, IMO, these are the people who SHOULD get first dibs on the seats…those who are sure of their choice and not “holding out for something better") I'll bet that if you wrote that letter of intent, you'd get in. But time is ticking by quickly, and who knows how many letters they get in a week? A month? I dunno. My point is, if they are your first choice, and you want to go there, let them know. Otherwise, you can't complain about them not letting you in, because you haven't done all that you can to get accepted. :)

Out of curiosity, who are you holding out for? PM me if you're not comfortable posting it...I'm not gonna try to give you advice or anything, I'm just curious!

Maryland is a great school - but, I guess I am a little biased (since I go there).

First, it is really dumb to decide where you are going to go based on rankings. Rankings mean pretty much nothing unless you are one of those people who are obsessed with names (aka - I go to Harvard so I must be smarter then all those who go to X, Y and Z).

You will find out very fast that being happy where you are is much more important then the name of the school. Look at the student body and see if you will mesh with those people. Study the curriculum and ask yourself if you can learn in that manner (for instance MD only has four hours of class each day where some schools have classes all day). Is the city somewhere you can spend four years. Do you like the facilities - the classrooms and the hospitals. Does the ancillary staff seem adequate and appropriate? Do the teachers really care about your education? You really have to get a glance at the whole picture - rankings cannot possibly allow you to do this.

Actually MD is #27 on primary care rankings. http://www.usnews.com/usnews/edu/grad/rankings/med/brief/mdprank_brief.php

As far as where to live in the Baltimore. I have lived in three different apartments - one each year. The first year I lived at Redwood, then I moved to The Atrium during second year (stay away from this place) and now I live in Spinnaker Bay (kind of far walk but very nice place and a little safer then the places right around the school). The Fayette suites are nice but, I think they are a little pricey for what you get ... and make sure to compare the sizes of the apartments. If you don't have any furniture though that might be a good place to live since they provide furnishings.

And, if the acceptance is still the same as when I was accepted - don't be looking for a fat envelope. I can remember the day I got mine ... I was always told that if you get a large envelope then you are golden. So I went to the mailbox and found a small letter sized envelope and thought well, guess I didn't make it. Haha - MD actually only sends you a piece of paper stating our acceptance so, don't have a heart attack when you get the small envelope ... it doesn't mean rejection.

Best of luck to all and I would be more then happy to anser any questions you have about the process.

Loveumms can you tell me anything about the laptops they make us buy?

I was told that they are IBM (now Lenovo) Thinkpads. I would like to have some sort of choice, but I guess everything needs to be standard since we take a lot of our exams on these computers.

Do they pick huge desktop replacement type laptops or more midsize ones?

Also, a lot of us (all 4-5 people) are wondering if the Prematriculation Summer Program is worth it? Thanks for your time.

Hey guys good job with the thread. The last time I checked it was about 1 page but now it's blown up to 3 pages!

plzletmein said:
Loveumms can you tell me anything about the laptops they make us buy?

I was told that they are IBM (now Lenovo) Thinkpads. I would like to have some sort of choice, but I guess everything needs to be standard since we take a lot of our exams on these computers.

Do they pick huge desktop replacement type laptops or more midsize ones?

Also, a lot of us (all 4-5 people) are wondering if the Prematriculation Summer Program is worth it? Thanks for your time.

Yes, you all buy the same laptop. You get absolutely no choice in the decisions but, the laptops are sweet. I have a Thinkpad T40. I'm not sure what the 2009 class has but, its very similiar to what we have (but its smaller and I'm sure faster since the computers get better each year). The year we got the computers they were some of the smallest ones available. You won't be dissapointed - although some of my classmates complain I have generally been happy. You also pay for the IT guys for the four years you are there ... so, if anything happens to your computer (minus it getting stolen or you damaging it) they will fix it right up.

I didn't do the PMP so I really can't comment on it. If you want to see what med school is like before you get here then go for it. Personally, I wanted to enjoy every last second of "freedom" I had. I don't really think it gives you too much of an advantage over those who don't do it. You get to meet some of your classmates and you preview what med school is really like but, you don't have to do it to do well.

I love Maryland - well, as much as one can love med school. Most of my classmates are awesome (there are some annoying gunners but you will find that everywhere). The teachers genuinly want you to learn the material and overall I have been pretty happy.

LadyWolverine said:
Well, I'm guessing that this is part of the problem. I don't fault you for holding out for your top choice...if there was a school that I felt was a better fit for me, I would do the same. But I think this is what many schools (state schools in particular) safeguard against by waitlisting/holding people...they want to make sure that the folks that they accept REALLY want to go there, and aren't just applying as a "back-up". (And, IMO, these are the people who SHOULD get first dibs on the seats…those who are sure of their choice and not “holding out for something better") I'll bet that if you wrote that letter of intent, you'd get in. But time is ticking by quickly, and who knows how many letters they get in a week? A month? I dunno. My point is, if they are your first choice, and you want to go there, let them know. Otherwise, you can't complain about them not letting you in, because you haven't done all that you can to get accepted. :)

Out of curiosity, who are you holding out for? PM me if you're not comfortable posting it...I'm not gonna try to give you advice or anything, I'm just curious!

Out of curiosity, who are you holding out for? PM me if you're not comfortable posting it...I'm not gonna try to give you advice or anything, I'm just curious![/QUOTE]

Well, I'm still waiting back on Dartmouth, Sinai, and Rochester. I got waitlisted at (Pitt, Case, Einstein). I'll be happy if I get off the waitlist at any of the above schools, Maryland included. I would be extremely unhappy if I didn't get off the waitlists. Writing a LOI will increase my chances by a sliver at Maryland, but then again I don't know whats my top choice. Writing a LOI will do nothing between now and April, most schools don't rerank their WL until April.

I looked at MDapplicants for UMD, two students already recieved huge scholarships (120K and 100K). Not really fair especially if the average student gets next to nothing in terms of grants.

loveumms said:
As far as where to live in the Baltimore. I have lived in three different apartments - one each year. The first year I lived at Redwood, then I moved to The Atrium during second year (stay away from this place) and now I live in Spinnaker Bay (kind of far walk but very nice place and a little safer then the places right around the school). The Fayette suites are nice but, I think they are a little pricey for what you get ... and make sure to compare the sizes of the apartments. If you don't have any furniture though that might be a good place to live since they provide furnishings.

And, if the acceptance is still the same as when I was accepted - don't be looking for a fat envelope. I can remember the day I got mine ... I was always told that if you get a large envelope then you are golden. So I went to the mailbox and found a small letter sized envelope and thought well, guess I didn't make it. Haha - MD actually only sends you a piece of paper stating our acceptance so, don't have a heart attack when you get the small envelope ... it doesn't mean rejection.

Best of luck to all and I would be more then happy to anser any questions you have about the process.

Hey, thanks for posting :) The acceptances are in a fat, small envelope. Not just 1 piece of paper, but not a full big envelope either. Tell me about Redwood. I was considering there among other places.

congrats all. you'll love it here. the schedule is key. anyone contemplating a 9-5 school has a serious character defect. you'll appreciate the autonomy (ie. freedom) of the 8-12 schedule. trust me on this. after about three months when you all want to shoot yourselves, you'll love the fact that you can take an afternoon and go to a day spa/ strip club/ driving range/ whatever.

maryland is a great program and our match list gets better with each year. not many people offered an acceptance go elsewhere (comparitively speaking) and fewer people get in off the waitlist each year.

psp has its advantages and disadvantages. i particpated. you'll feel like your summer was stolen from you; but, you will not have the growing pains that everyone else has the first couple of weeks. plus, the first exam will seem like a joke compared to how everyone else is freaking out about it. finally, you get paid to do it.

have fun guys and gals. its a looooooong haul, but it's worth it in the end. however, i tell everyone this point. if i had to do it again - no way. you will find the depths of hell along the path of the first two years... getting through it happens - AND, you feel GREAT when you do. i think the 2 weeks after i took the boards were some of the most carefree times of my life. keep in mind that everyone will be feeling as miserable as you, you WILL make it. just make sure you give yourself time to be human. go out and meet people (non-medschool). play music. i knew people that didn't see the light of day for 2 years except for the post-exam weekend - don't be them. they won't match well anyway 'cause they don't gotz people skills.

now. drink that beer you freshmen scum. ha, couldn't help myself. j/k i'm sure i'll meet most of you during orientation. i'll gladly buy the first round and offer whatever advice my senility will provide. feel free to PM with questions.

Hey Big T (cytoskelement) -

Gosh, long time no see. Started to wonder if you became one of those gunner hermits (haha). Glad to hear you are still alive and kicking .... cannot wait to go to MEXICO. Only four more weeks until freedom.

You sound so mature and I'm glad that you imparted such wisdom on the incomings.

OK - I actually lived in Redwood Square which is on Redwood St. I don't recommend it to anyone. The management sucks; there was an annoying trash truck that came every other night at 3:30am and was so loud it woke us up every time and above all it really just wasn't that nice of an apartment. The Redwood (which is on Eutaw st) is very nice. I have not lived there but have friends that do and they love it. Anywhere you live in the city is not safe ... your in a city. Just have to be aware of your surroundings and make sure that you don't go out by yourself at 2am (common sense).

I agree with cytoskelement ... enjoy every second you have left of your college life. Med school isn't exactly what you are thinking it is right now. Does it suck? Of course - its very hard and most of the time you are never acknowledged for your hard work. Is it very rewarding? Yes and you will meet some people that will be your friends for the rest of your life.

Anymore questions I'd be more then happy to answer ... I'm on call tomorrow night and its been VERY slow at the hospital.

Yeah, the Redwood was what I was looking at. It was recommended to me, and I guess you second it, so thats cool :)

I had a PM session back and forth between a UMD third year a couple days ago, and I'll pose the same question - please give me any input on third year. Organization, how you felt about rotations, scheduling, anything :)

Anything else you two (or more if you're lurking) want to add, I'd love to hear! Each day that passes it becomes more likely UMD is my school.

Cozmosis said:
We're almost in the top 10 of class threads! Go Maryland!

ALRIGHT!!!

Sorry, I don't have a whole lot of free time today, but I'll contribute what I can. Thanks, luvumms & cytoskelement, for your insight. I am SO PUMPED about med school (but just about anything at the moment would beat the hell out of antitrust law).

cozmo - worry about getting in and through first year before you even have a thought about third year. Best advice I can give about med school - take one thing at a time ... don't worry about things that are not important at that exact second. Unless you want to be a pediatric CT surgeon, or something else that is ultra competitive, you should keep your focus on whats immediately ahead.

Med school is great but, enjoy your life right now. Things are going to get very hectic once you start and I really wish I would have enjoyed my last year of college more - instead of anticipating coming to med school.

One more thing - don't buy your books from the bookstore. Go onto the medscope forum the first week and look for upper classman selling their books. You don't need the most up to date edition and most of the books don't change anyway so get them cheap ;)

loveumms said:
cozmo - worry about getting in and through first year before you even have a thought about third year. Best advice I can give about med school - take one thing at a time ... don't worry about things that are not important at that exact second. Unless you want to be a pediatric CT surgeon, or something else that is ultra competitive, you should keep your focus on whats immediately ahead.

Med school is great but, enjoy your life right now. Things are going to get very hectic once you start and I really wish I would have enjoyed my last year of college more - instead of anticipating coming to med school.
I'm not really worrying. All I do is work and post on SDN these days, I might as well find out how third year works ;)

Another day closer to MS1!! Anyone else on the Maryland wagon yet?

No, but I have a funny story! I overheard a girl talking on her cell phone the other day, and was remarking about how she had just become a vegetarian, and I guess her friend asked her why. "Well, I had a dream about that cow the other night!"

I've heard a lot of reasons of why people go veggie.. but not because they dreamt of a cow.

Hi everybody! I've been accepted to UMDSOM and am really excited about coming to Baltimore in the fall, so I thought I'd join in on the conversation. Congrats to those of you who have been accepted!! :p

Aquarius131 said:
Hi everybody! I've been accepted to UMDSOM and am really excited about coming to Baltimore in the fall, so I thought I'd join in on the conversation. Congrats to those of you who have been accepted!! :p

Welcome, Aquarius! Make sure you fill in the survey (it's like 40 posts up or so...)

Coz...did you notice that it wasn't "A cow," but "THAT cow?"
Maybe it was some cow that she knew.

My survey...

1. What's your favorite city (anywhere in the world), and why?
From those I’ve visited, toss-up between Miami and San Diego for the atmospheres, ocean views, and amazing weather (in comparison to MD!).

2. If you could be any breed of dog, what would you be, and why?
Breed of seeing-eye dogs (German Shepards, I believe?) because of the great service they do for the handicapped.

3. NBA or NCAA basketball?
NCAA— can’t turn my back on the Terps, even though they have been on a bit of a losing streak recently :mad:

4. Who is your favorite character from The Simpsons?
Lisa or Homer.

5. What is one of your guilty pleasures? (try to keep it clean...or not.)
80s/90s TV sitcoms I used to watch as a child and still watch sometimes in reruns…Boy Meets World, Saved By the Bell, etc.

6. Who was your favorite childhood superhero?
Captain Planet.

7. What is in your CD player at this very minute?
Journey’s Greatest Hits and Madonna’s new CD.

8. What do you have in the fridge at this very minute?
Leftovers, milk, shredded cheese, bread, some vegetables and fruits.

9. If there were no need in the world for either medicine or money, what would you be doing right now?
Traveling across Europe, especially Greece & Spain.

And...
10. Are you gonna be a gunner? Be honest!
It’s not in me to be a gunner and it would be a much better experience if we all worked together and got along, but I'm competitive w/myself.

~Aquarius

Aquarius131 said:
My survey...

3. NBA or NCAA basketball?
NCAA— can’t turn my back on the Terps, even though they have been on a bit of a losing streak recently :mad:

7. What is in your CD player at this very minute?
Journey’s Greatest Hits and Madonna’s new CD.

~Aquarius

Dude! I love Journey! The terps have been disappointing this year, but at least UCONN is at #1, and not the dreaded Duke! (Even though my Wolverines have been dropped from the rankings...**sniff**)

Man, I get to work, and Maryland's already #1 on the charts! Rock on!

Duke will be #1 in the next poll, UConn lost to Nova. And I love Journey too :)

BTW, it seems we can access the SIMS/SURFS system now. Not that it has even one thing of interest to anyone right now.

Cozmosis said:
Duke will be #1 in the next poll, UConn lost to Nova. And I love Journey too :)

BTW, it seems we can access the SIMS/SURFS system now. Not that it has even one thing of interest to anyone right now.

Yeah, I saw that heartbreaker of a game on Monday. UCONN was NOT playing well in the first half...their rebound record was shameful. I just really hate seeing Duke on top!

What is the SIMS/SURFS system? I feel so out of the loop.

Journey was an awesome group! I love the whole CD and can't get enought of it, esp. Separate Ways and Don't Stop Believin' :thumbup:

I'm going to have to check out SURFS. I don't think this is the same thing, but I read on last year's board that Dr. Foxwell sends out a sn/password for Medscope in mid February for accepted students. Exciting! :)

~Aquarius

LadyWolverine said:
Yeah, I saw that heartbreaker of a game on Monday. UCONN was NOT playing well in the first half...their rebound record was shameful. I just really hate seeing Duke on top!

What is the SIMS/SURFS system? I feel so out of the loop.
SURFS is just the registration/transcript/financial aid system. Nothing fun, certainly. A friend of mine goes to UMD and I was able to check out some of the stuff on Medscope through her. Pretty interesting, though none of it means anything to me now (nor do I want it to ;))

I'm a MD resident (all my life) but I live by the Redskins stadium. My #1 choice is UMD, and I was wondering what advice as an instate resident could you give me in terms of my interview and secondary apps (if any). Also, how does UMD send their interview invites? Do they call you or do they e-mail or do they sent it through snail mail? thanks again. I'll be looking to you all for help when I get there for the 2007-2008 year (hopefully).

doctajay said:
I'm a MD resident (all my life) but I live by the Redskins stadium. My #1 choice is UMD, and I was wondering what advice as an instate resident could you give me in terms of my interview and secondary apps (if any). Also, how does UMD send their interview invites? Do they call you or do they e-mail or do they sent it through snail mail? thanks again. I'll be looking to you all for help when I get there for the 2007-2008 year (hopefully).
Interview invites are through email. They give you a date, you don't get to schedule it (but you can call and try to work with them). Interviews are pretty lax - there are two. One of mine was nothing but conversation, and the other was short and to the point.

They like to see volunteer and clinical (duh). Dr. Foxwell also mentioned be aware of your transcript and everything you list on AMCAS. Be able to talk about all of them. As weird as it sounds, do things you're passionate about and able to talk about freely.

They're big on professionalism, so they might talk about that, and there is an essay to that regard - I suggest nailing it ;)

But overall, not bad. Relax, the interview was pretty non-stress.

For those of you not from Maryland:
http://www.baltimoresun.com/news/lo...r0215,0,4527934.story?coll=bal-home-headlines
A taste of the kind of thing you have to look forward to. Maryland politics are so lol.

Responding to Schaefer's request for tea, the woman, an executive assistant in Gov. Robert L. Ehrlich Jr.'s front office, set down a thermal mug in front of the comptroller. Schaefer, 84, watched her walk away, then beckoned for her to return. When she obliged, he told her, "Walk again," staring after her as she left a ceremonial conference room at the State House.

Schaefer defended the comment in a profanity-laced rant at reporters after the meeting.

"That's so goddamn dumb, I can't believe it," Schaefer said when asked about the appropriateness of his remark. "She's a pretty little girl."

She "ought to be damn happy that I observed her going out the door," Schaefer said. "The day I don't look at pretty women is the day I die."

*BUMP*

Happy Thursday, Marylanders!!

Cozmosis said:
For those of you not from Maryland:
http://www.baltimoresun.com/news/lo...r0215,0,4527934.story?coll=bal-home-headlines
A taste of the kind of thing you have to look forward to. Maryland politics are so lol.

They were talking about this on the radio this morning. What an idiot. He honestly doesn't think he did anything wrong and doesn't get why people are so upset. Talk about setting the progress of gender equality back about 40 years... :rolleyes: How humiliating for that "girl".

I have nothing productive or interesting to say at the moment but LW and I are doing some private research on apartments and I will share with the rest of you only, ONLY after I get a space ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.