University of Maryland Class of 2010 part 01

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

gonadotropins

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was accepted in mid-November and I'll be there in Fall. Anyone else?

Members don't see this ad.

gonadotropins said:
I was accepted in mid-November and I'll be there in Fall. Anyone else?

I interviewed there in the beginning of November, but haven't heard back from them yet. How long was it until you recieved your acceptance?

Members don't see this ad :)
plzletmein said:
I interviewed there in the beginning of November, but haven't heard back from them yet. How long was it until you recieved your acceptance?

Okay nevermind, I just got my acceptance today!! For those who are wondering it took about a month for them to make a decision.

plzletmein said:
Okay nevermind, I just got my acceptance today!! For those who are wondering it took about a month for them to make a decision.

Sorry for being tardy to the party. Congratulations! I heard in 2 weeks.

I'm pretty sure I'm going to end up at UMD. Right now, Maryland is the school to beat...I was accepted back in October, just a couple weeks after interviewing. I'm trying to keep an open mind during my other interviews, but I've got that gut feeling that UMD is the place that I really want to be. Plus that little part about in-state tuition....

So what are you folks getting for the holidays? A stethescope? :D

I got a letter which said basically, your application is under very active review. it is not an acceptance, hold or reject. It reiterates that it is under active review and will be reviewed periodically.

Now, I read last year from users (cytoskeleton in particular), this is a hold/waitlist decision but is there any chance with me receiving this letter this early, that I could actually be reviewed and get a decision in the next month or so or is this truly a waitlist/hold decision?

In addition, do you think sending in more LOR or a LOI will actually have a difference or is this UMD's way of saying you are waitlisted without coming out and saying it? Do they send out letters specifically stating "you have been waitlisted"? Thanks guys.

I will be so happy if I get an acceptance before Christmas/New Years. (Interviewed 11/16). I told them during the interview they are my top choice.

Does anybody know anything about the University Suites at Fayette Square? The building looks really nice from the outside and it's right next to campus, but it seems a little pricey.

plzletmein said:
Does anybody know anything about the University Suites at Fayette Square? The building looks really nice from the outside and it's right next to campus, but it seems a little pricey.

I'm going to check it out on Friday. I think I'd really like to live there...yes, it's pricy, but it's so close to campus, the building is nice and SAFE, they've got a lounge and a gym, and parking. But I'm going to set up appointments at some other area apartment buildings as well. I'll let you know what I find out!!

The way I look at it, if I'm going to MD, I'm saving a lot of money on tuition, so I can spend a little extra on a nice place to live. Check out their floor plans...there's a link on their website. I like the really big 1-bedroom!!

LadyWolverine said:
I'm going to check it out on Friday. I think I'd really like to live there...yes, it's pricy, but it's so close to campus, the building is nice and SAFE, they've got a lounge and a gym, and parking. But I'm going to set up appointments at some other area apartment buildings as well. I'll let you know what I find out!!

The way I look at it, if I'm going to MD, I'm saving a lot of money on tuition, so I can spend a little extra on a nice place to live. Check out their floor plans...there's a link on their website. I like the really big 1-bedroom!!

I'm thinking of doing the same since Pascault Row doesn't look that sweet. I'll also check out some of the apt complexes and then maybe put down a deposit. Here is a link to some non-university housing options. http://www.housing.umaryland.edu/commercial.cfm

Come on, Marylanders, where are you? We must maintain the thread! Other schools have 500+ posts already...this is so sad! :)

I went to look at the University Suites...they seemed nice but it was a little too much like dorm living for me (all Ikea-like furnishings), and they only had 2, 3, and 4 BRs available (no 1's). What I do like about it is the proximity to the Med Center, the safety, and how everything is included in the rent. Overall it was pretty positive.

I am thinking about buying a condo somewhere in the area. I would like to be close to school, but it may be more economical to invest in a home for the next 4 years...and thus it would probably be better to live somewhere that is NOT downtown. But I'll need to take a look and see what's available.

Is anyone else considering the Prematriculation Program or the Summer Research Program?

Members don't see this ad :)
This thread is probably so anemic since Maryland is sooooo slow with the acceptances!

Today I mailed in my deposit for the University Suites. Hopefully it won't be too dorm-like, but since I'm moving out from California it's probably the most convenient option.

I'm also interested in the prematriculation summer program, but there really isn't too much information about it. I'm wondering if it would be worth it.

Congratulations, Coz!!

Now it's down to 90%? Before it was 95. :D

LadyWolverine said:
Congratulations, Coz!!

Now it's down to 90%? Before it was 95. :D
My percentages are crap. I couldn't remember which one I had said before and it was only 2 posts up! Damn delirium.

At this rate itll be in the 70%s by next week.

LadyWolverine said:
I'm here! I wish this party would get started....

I wish I have the good fortune to attend this partay.

Cozmosis said:
Seriously, Maryland, a 3-4 person party is no fun! Accept Giggles!

Cozmosis, you can bring the music to get this party started and wolverine, you can bring the clowns.

Dr.Giggles said:
Cozmosis, you can bring the music to get this party started and wolverine, you can bring the clowns.

AHHHHH I HATE CLOWNS

I picked my avatar because it scares the crap outta me on a regular basis. It keeps me on my toes.

LadyWolverine said:
Is anyone else considering the Prematriculation Program or the Summer Research Program?

I'm thinking of doing the pre-mat program. It would be nice to have some more information on it, but as I understand the class time is pretty limited and you get out of it what you put into it. Does anyone know more about this?

gonadotropins said:
I'm thinking of doing the pre-mat program. It would be nice to have some more information on it, but as I understand the class time is pretty limited and you get out of it what you put into it. Does anyone know more about this?
Oh god, I'd get nothing out of it then ;) Pander to me, school!

But on a serious note, I'm considering both but I need more information too. I feel a bit in the dark.

So...Plzletmein, Coz, Gonad, and Giggles...

Tell me about yourselves!!

Limit answers to 1 sentence:
1. What's your favorite city (anywhere in the world), and why?
2. If you could be any breed of dog, what would you be, and why?
3. NBA or NCAA basketball?
4. Who is your favorite character from The Simpsons?
5. What is one of your guilty pleasures? (try to keep it clean...or not.)
6. Who was your favorite childhood superhero?
7. What is in your CD player at this very minute?
8. What do you have in the fridge at this very minute?
9. If there were no need in the world for either medicine or money, what would you be doing right now?

And...
10. Are you gonna be a gunner? Be honest!

That should get us started nicely.

-LW

P.S. If I buy and condo near the harbor, does anyone wanna be my roommate?

:D

Yes! I love surveys!

- I don't have a lot of travel experience, so I'm limited here. I'll say Ocean City MD because of all the childhood memories, I always have lots of fun when I go, and I know the place like the back of my hand.

- A bulldog! You're not expected to do a damn thing but eat and sleep. (Though I would die young :eek: :thumbdown: )

- NCAA all the way, but I like the NBA playoffs. Go Terps!!

- Who's ISN'T Homer?

- The ridiculous TV shows I watch. American Idol, Gilmore Girls.. it doesn't take much to question my sexuality.

- Popeye :)

- God, I haven't listened to CDs in forever, but my Winamp has American Idol season 2 audio tracks :oops:

- Leftover pasta

9. If there were no need in the world for either medicine or money, what would you be doing right now?
- Probably this :D Or Sports radio (which I almost decided to try to go into anyway)

And...
- No, I love working with people to compliment what I know too much to do that mess. Plus, I'm sure it won't take much time to turn me from wanting to get top grades to P=MD ;)

On your condo question, I'll probably be living in an apartment close to campus (walking distance). Commute is something I just don't want to be a barrier because I'm sure I'll be at school quite a bit (and maybe not huge chunks).

This post has a lot of smilies. Jeez. Oh, and LW, you should answer your own survey!

Tell me about yourselves!!

Limit answers to 1 sentence:
Rockville because it Rocks! I grew up here, lots of cool stuff to do, and had some really good memories.
Labrador because I just love their short hair and they are lots of fun to play with.

NFL because of fantasy football, but NCAA over NBA during march madness but NBA over NCAA because players can dunk at the professional leve.

Bart. Who can go wrong with the naughty kid.

Hot wings. Man, those are so unhealthy (high saturated fat, but they are so good. You never notice how many you eat. I think my record is 35 at Bill Bateman's.

Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles (Michaelango). I loved those dudes. I had T-shirts, video games, and action figures.

Classical Guitar music (actually my roommate's, since I'm too cheap to buy any CDs).

Wine, chocalate liquor (ironic since I really don't drink), but in my other fridge I have Taquitos, hot wings, meatballs, sausage, frozen veggies.

Fishing cause you never know what you are going to pick up.

And...
Yes, in competition with myself.

Cozmosis said:
LW, you should answer your own survey!

If you insist...

Seattle. I lived there for three years, and I love everything about it (even the rain)...it has so much to offer - mountains, beaches, great nightlife, hip atmosphere, etc.

A Great Dane. They are such powerful and intimidating animals, yet gentle and graceful at the same time.

NCAA. I hate the lack of team loyaly in NBA ball.

Probably Homer for the laugh factor, although I identify most with Lisa.

The OC's Ben McKenzie. 'Nuff said.

It was a toss-up between He-Man and Lion-O.

I have a 3-disk changer - U2's Rattle and Hum and the Joshua Tree, and The Best of Spanish Guitar.

Yogurt, Milk, Salad Mix, Tomatoes, assorted fruit, 4 types of cheese, and my trusty Brita.

Skiing at Whistler in the winter, and hiking at Mount Rainier/hanging out at the beach in the summer.

And...
I'd like to say no, but only time will tell. Even if I am, though, I'd be the helpful type of gunner who shares notes and study strategies, as opposed to the kind that hides books :D

-LW

There's a difference between being a true gunner and an ass and someone who wants the highest grades they can get. Nothing wrong with aiming high.

Dr.Giggles said:
Hot wings. Man, those are so unhealthy (high saturated fat, but they are so good. You never notice how many you eat. I think my record is 35 at Bill Bateman's.

Giggles, I truly hope that you end up going to Maryland. I LOVE me some hot wings!!! I think I'm the only person on the face of the earth who honestly goes to Hooters just for the food.

I don't think I could eat 35 in one sitting, but I could put a serious dent in some Original Hots from WingStop. You and I can take turns doing wing runs during exam weeks :D

Another question:
How many of you are true Marylanders? (And you've gotta have the cannister of Old Bay to prove it!!!)

LadyWolverine said:
Giggles, I truly hope that you end up going to Maryland. I LOVE me some hot wings!!! I think I'm the only person on the face of the earth who honestly goes to Hooters just for the food.

I don't think I could eat 35 in one sitting, but I could put a serious dent in some Original Hots from WingStop. You and I can take turns doing wing runs during exam weeks :D

Another question:
How many of you are true Marylanders? (And you've gotta have the cannister of Old Bay to prove it!!!)
You all better let me come! I was born to eat wings. I like Hooters wings too - the breading is awesome.

I was born in Sinai hospital, and haven't left Baltimore since. Is that true enough??

Cozmosis said:
You all better let me come! I was born to eat wings. I like Hooters wings too - the breading is awesome.

I was born in Sinai hospital, and haven't left Baltimore since. Is that true enough??

Isn't there an age requirement to go to Hooters? J/K, I bet the breasts are just as good as their wings.

Wow! A hardcore Baltimorean. But, technically, Towson University is located outside of Baltimore city.

As for myself, I have lived in Maryland ever since (16 years) immigration. Also, I'm a big Redskins fan.

Real Marylanders! Who knew?? We really DO exist!

I am also a true Marylander (despite the fact that I was technically born in the District)...I did spend the first 5 years of my life in Gaithersburg, and the following 13 in Rockville/Bethesda (what is now referred to as "North Bethesda"...what crap is that?)

I am also proud to say that I have been a Redskins fan since birth. Since there was no Maryland team at the time, I learned to love my 'Skins. I refuse to be a turncoat and join the throngs of Ravens traitors (kinda like how I am and always will be an O's fan...I couldn't care less about the Nationals.)

Coz, you are welcome to join our wing club anytime. You gotta be able to hang with the 3-mile island, though. I don't wanna be wheeling you into the ER for an industrial-sized dose of antacids.

Giggles, have you gotten your acceptance yet? If not, have you sent a letter to the Dean? He's a wonderful guy, and has been very receptive and helpful to me. A letter might let the Admissions folks know that you are very serious about attending Maryland...maybe the little extra push you need? (Although I'm sure your a phenomenal applicant and probably don't need any help :D )

Not bad for like 4 people trying to keep a thread alive, huh?!

gonadotropins said:

Where else did you guys get in. I got into UMD, plus its my state school,but for some reason I have my eye on other schools...am I being stupid?

Passion461 said:
Where else did you guys get in. I got into UMD, plus its my state school,but for some reason I have my eye on other schools...am I being stupid?
I've just gotten into UM and Drexel, waitlisted at MUO, Ohio State, and still waiting on Wake Forest. Maryland is a great school, with a great schedule for those who like to go to class. My only negative is the location. I think if the school was anywhere but downtown Baltimore I would have withdrawn all of my other applications already. As it stands, I was really impressed with Maryland anyway, so unless something crazy happens, I'll be there next year.

LW: I can respect your Skin fandom, but I can't respect the Skins :) Glad you rep my Orioles, though. I will also hang with any wing heat as long as they don't put actual peppers on them (I think its gross)

I think we're doing awesome on this thread, though I wouldn't mind some more classmates up in this piece. When I see that Oklahoma thread with over 700 replies and Baylor's over 300, I'm just freaking jealous!

Passion461 said:
for some reason I have my eye on other schools...am I being stupid?

Yes.

No, I'm just kidding. I've been dealing with the same problem. I was fortunate enough to be accepted to Georgetown and USC, and I would be lying if I didn't say that both are extremely attractive. I would LOVE to either stay in the DC area (most of my friends and family live around here) or move to LA (I love the warm weather and the beach)...but I simply cannot justify throwing away AT LEAST an extra $80 grand over 4 years to go to private school. I've heard the argument that it's all monopoly money while you're in school anyway, but I don't buy it.

The bottom line is that Maryland is a PHENOMENAL school with all sorts of research and clinical opportunities. The in-state tuition just makes the deal that much sweeter. The part about it being in Baltimore seems to be the limiting factor for most folks...but I really don't think it's as bad as it may seem.

Good luck to you, I'm sure you'll make the right decision FOR YOU. :luck:

LadyWolverine said:
Real Marylanders! Who knew?? We really DO exist!

Giggles, have you gotten your acceptance yet? If not, have you sent a letter to the Dean?
?!

No, I got waitlisted. Well, today I talked to someone who talked to admissions committee, and I found out that my interview and my verbal score held me back. I am going to send UMD a letters of update, an additional LOR, and possibly speak to Dr. Foxwell who is coming to my campus to give out a talk. I'm still figuring out which school is my top choice and then sending an intent letter. Its not the end of the world if I don't get accepted, but UMD is pretty high on my list.

Oh yeah, the Redskins > Ravens if you are a true Marylander, everyone knows this. If I might remind you, the Redskins went 10-6 this season, and made it to the 2nd round of the playoffs, whereas the Ravens made the NIT (Not In Tournament).

Passion461 said:

Well, you got into UVA. UVA is ranked 28 I think vs. UMD's 43. UVA is a top-tier school and they have their basic sciences curriculum in 1.5 years vs. 2, so it gives you more time to study for the boards. Maryland is a good public school especially if you think tuition is more important.

Dr.Giggles said:
Oh yeah, the Redskins > Ravens if you are a true Marylander, everyone knows this. If I might remind you, the Redskins went 10-6 this season, and made it to the 2nd round of the playoffs, whereas the Ravens made the NIT (Not In Tournament).
I'm a Baltimorean first and foremost. Why would a true Marylander root for a team that plays IN Maryland but doesn't give any credit to them with the name (Washington) ??

Cozmosis said:
I'm a Baltimorean first and foremost. Why would a true Marylander root for a team that plays IN Maryland but doesn't give any credit to them with the name (Washington) ??

Before the Ravens was Joe Gibbs and the Redskins. Everyone knows that and a real Baltimorean would know the Ravens were formerly the Cleveland Browns owned by Art Modell before the team moved to Baltimore and changed its name.

Dr.Giggles said:
Before the Ravens was Joe Gibbs and the Redskins. Everyone knows that and a real Baltimorean would know the Ravens were formerly the Cleveland Browns owned by Art Modell before the team moved to Baltimore and changed its name.
What do these things have to do with anything? Back then there was a team called the Baltimore Colts that everyone here had a deep connection to, before it was ripped away. My question was why rooting for the Redskins would make you a better Marylander when they don't even give credit for the fact that they play in Maryland. The Redskins former owner was also instrumental in fighting against Baltimore's expansion team bids.

Personally, I just completely blew off football until 1996.

Cozmosis said:
What do these things have to do with anything? Back then there was a team called the Baltimore Colts that everyone here had a deep connection to, before it was ripped away. My question was why rooting for the Redskins would make you a better Marylander when they don't even give credit for the fact that they play in Maryland. The Redskins former owner was also instrumental in fighting against Baltimore's expansion team bids.

Well, the Redskins DO play in Maryland (Landover). The Baltimore Colts is a sad story. I respect Johnny Unitas. I grew up near Washington, so I am a little biased towards the Redskins over the Ravens. But, I did root for the 2000 Ravens and with sick defense.

Dr.Giggles said:
I grew up near Washington, so I am a little biased towards the Redskins over the Ravens. But, I did root for the 2000 Ravens and with sick defense.

Hey, like I said before, I can respect anyone who stuck with the Redskins, but that doesn't mean I still don't hate the team! And yes, the 2000 defense was ridiculous ;)

Man, I'm still bitter about the B'More Colts up and leaving for Indy in the middle of the night...even though I was like 4 at the time...:D

But seriously, what a gutless move.

Status
Not open for further replies.