~~University of Maryland c/o 2010~~

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
i can still make it, if you guys want to go. since i'm on call at work though, you might want to pm me phone numbers (and first names, preferably) so i can let you know if something comes up.

what do you think, clp?

Members don't see this ad.

i can also still make it - but my schedule is pretty flexible and if others want to pick a time when more people can make it, i'm fine with that too.

Members don't see this ad :)
5:30 at tony and joes! We'll try and do a few of these before Aug 1.

alright, i'll see you both at 5:30 - should we pm our names or what... just glance around for other kids who look like dentists haha?

I can report that the first official BCDS happy hour was a resounding success. We got to meet some of our new classmates, and if they are any representation of the rest of our class we’re going to have a great time over the next four years (or at lest we’re going to suffer along side some really great people). In addition to clp, WhoooaaaBUNDY and myself two other non-poster came out. I think we agreed unanimously that the new building is going to be fantastic, Baltimore is going to be a fun city to live in, and free beer tastes better! We also all agreed that we need to have some more happy hours before school starts. So how about in Baltimore this time? WhoooaaaBUNDY suggested Howl at the Moon which is at the power plant building in the inner harbor and looks like it should be perfect http://www.powerplantlive.com/. So how about June 3rd or 10th. Which works better?

everything he said i would also like to echo. it was a pleasure to meet you all and i'm very much looking forward to next year (and by next year, i mean less than three months away ;))

also, i vote for june 3rd.

had a great time, thanks again for getting that together, gargamel.

i'm gonna be in new york on june 3rd, but you guys will love howl at the moon. i'm sure there will be other chances, if i miss this one. maybe we could get $5 student tix and catch an O's game down the line at some point? i'm definitely in to berry's world cup idea as well.

gahead c/o '10. :thumbup:

Gargamel said:
I can report that the first official BCDS happy hour was a resounding success. We got to meet some of our new classmates, and if they are any representation of the rest of our class we’re going to have a great time over the next four years (or at lest we’re going to suffer along side some really great people). In addition to clp, WhoooaaaBUNDY and myself two other non-poster came out. I think we agreed unanimously that the new building is going to be fantastic, Baltimore is going to be a fun city to live in, and free beer tastes better! We also all agreed that we need to have some more happy hours before school starts. So how about in Baltimore this time? WhoooaaaBUNDY suggested Howl at the Moon which is at the power plant building in the inner harbor and looks like it should be perfect http://www.powerplantlive.com/. So how about June 3rd or 10th. Which works better?

So glad to hear that you all had a great time :) Howl at the Moon sounds perfect... and since I'll probably have to work both of those saturday nights, is anyone planning on partying beyond happy hour? I get off work anytime between 10:30-midnight and I'm literally a 5 min walk from Howl... So I'll definitely be there if anyone's going to still be there when I get out!

La Miraflorina said:
So glad to hear that you all had a great time :) Howl at the Moon sounds perfect... and since I'll probably have to work both of those saturday nights, is anyone planning on partying beyond happy hour? I get off work anytime between 10:30-midnight and I'm literally a 5 min walk from Howl... So I'll definitely be there if anyone's going to still be there when I get out!

What do you do? Any chance you can get just one night off?

fyi ... i'm pretty sure howl at the moon doesn't really kick into gear until around 10pm anyway. i wasn't really thinking about that when i suggested it, but i'm not sure it would be worthwhile earlier in the evening. a piano bar is kinda weak without a decent crowd.

has anyone been there earlier in the night? otherwise you might want to plan to show up late, or scrap the idea and go for something else.

Gargamel said:
What do you do? Any chance you can get just one night off?

I'm waiting tables while I wait for school to start! I could get a night off but I'd prefer just to meet you guys after work. As you can imagine, Saturday night is the best night of the week. If no one wants to stay out that late, I'll take one of these Sat. nights off... I can't wait to meet you guys :p

Oh, BTW... I work with a UMB social work student who's friends with lots of dental students. She told me the d-students an extremely fun group :D Let's hope we can carry on the tradition (between studying of course ;) )

Hey everyone, I hate to ressurect an old discussion but does everyone have a place to live? I feel like the last person still looking for a place to live. Is everyone trying to get the cheapest place or the place closest to the school? Just trying to calm my anxieties. Thanks for letting me vent. :scared:

Members don't see this ad :)
mayoree said:
Hey everyone, I hate to ressurect an old discussion but does everyone have a place to live? I feel like the last person still looking for a place to live. Is everyone trying to get the cheapest place or the place closest to the school? Just trying to calm my anxieties. Thanks for letting me vent. :scared:

Hey, I'm in the same position as you, but I guess I'm not that worried about it for some reason-though I probably should be. I'm coming from out of state too so I pretty much don't know anyone and its hard for me to visit and check places out-but I have had a few pms from people interested in getting a place. I hear right near the school is really loud at night-I guess b/c the trauma center there-sirens and helicoptors and whatnot? I dont have any concrete plans yet but I was thinking somewhere near the inner harbor or federal hill area-hopefully something less than a 30 min walk. Let me know what you think, I say the more the merrier-not to mention less rent money if you get a bigger house. I'm already dreading loans.

hey sorry to change the subject here, but what schools are you all coming from? just curious :)

clp said:
hey sorry to change the subject here, but what schools are you all coming from? just curious :)

I'm coming in from The University of Michigan Ann Arbor :D (Go Blue!)

Hmm, hadn't thought about the noise. Anyone trying to commute? I have a car but I am not looking to pay the parking fees.

Joeybag said:
Hey, I'm in the same position as you, but I guess I'm not that worried about it for some reason-though I probably should be. I'm coming from out of state too so I pretty much don't know anyone and its hard for me to visit and check places out-but I have had a few pms from people interested in getting a place. I hear right near the school is really loud at night-I guess b/c the trauma center there-sirens and helicoptors and whatnot? I dont have any concrete plans yet but I was thinking somewhere near the inner harbor or federal hill area-hopefully something less than a 30 min walk. Let me know what you think, I say the more the merrier-not to mention less rent money if you get a bigger house. I'm already dreading loans.

clp said:

University of Maryland :D

I'm actually thinking of commuting in from a bit outside the city to save some $$. Hopefully I'm not making a bad decision.. :oops:

since i asked the question, it's only fair to answer it: also representing the Big 10 - i'm coming from northwestern. and my roommate, also dental at UMD next year, is coming from penn state.

I'm coming from George Washington University

THE James Madison University.

WhoooaaaBUNDY said:
THE James Madison University.

University of North Carolina woo woo

Only school simply known as"the U".......University of Miami!

I'm coming from a small a$$ college...Haverford. I am in the same boat as joey. I'm also not worried so much about finding roomates. I'm trying to move in kinda late as well, just because I want to make the most of my summer.

got the keys to my house in reisterstown tonight ... i am a home owner. wow.

put your hands in ... whoooooaaaaaa BUNDY!! :thumbup: (if you don't get the reference, just ignore me)

congrats woahhbundy...hahahha

I'll give you a whoooooaaaaaa BUNDY!! for that.

Congratulations.

WhoooaaaBUNDY said:
got the keys to my house in reisterstown tonight ... i am a home owner. wow.

put your hands in ... whoooooaaaaaa BUNDY!! :thumbup: (if you don't get the reference, just ignore me)

Many congrats! :)

Hey everyone... is anyone still looking for a roomate for next year? I'd like to live somewhere downtown, near the school, but am having a hard time finding someone to live with. Let me know if you're interested :)

Coming from The University of Georgia....I LOVE GRITS (girls raised in the south)....I have recently extended my honeymoon and am not going to be able to move up to baltimore until after july 15th!!!So, I will also be moving up late (which means no world cup parties...this is what depresses me the most). I was planning on being there mid june, but we decided to go to papau new guinea where my almost new wife's (9 days) father is doing opthalmology missions. I'm gonna try and find the dentist there and see if I can get some hands on work with some 'teef'. Basically, I am saying that I will not be on the thread too much after about a week. So, I plan to get to know all of you once I move up to Baltimore in that week or two before classes begin. Good luck to all of you as you move to Baltimore. And congrats on the house woooaahhh bundy!

thanks all, getting through dental school just wasn't going to be enough loans for me, had to get a house too.

so you got married 9 days ago, berry? CONGRATS! can't blame ya for taking that opportunity to get out and about around the world. too bad about the world cup parties ... we'll definitely have to try and get something together for the last week or so before the big day (i'm working on talking my wife into a bbq at the new place in mid/late july, if there would be any interest).

anything brewing for 6/3 or 6/10?

WhoooaaaBUNDY said:
anything brewing for 6/3 or 6/10?

Hey, congrats WhoooaaaBUNDY (house) and BerryF (marriage)!!

I'm still game for getting together somewhere in the inner harbor on 6/3 but I'll have to join you later in the evening... anytime between 10:30-12:30 is when I get out :cool:

Anyone else interested??

I thought the general consensus was 6/3 even though WhoooaaaBUNDY couldn’t make it. I think clp couldn’t make the 10th. Both dates are fine with me though, and I’d just assume we get as many people out as possible. The happy hour in DC was a fun time and it was great to meet new friends. It sounds as though we should plan for later in the evening at Howl at the Moon that way we may get a chance to meet La Miraflorina. Maybe 7:30PM or so as a start time? I checked on their web site (http://www.howlatthemoon.com/index.htm) and if you get there before 8:00PM cover is less and there are drink specials. Bring significant others!

So what date is everyone thinking?

Gargamel said:
I thought the general consensus was 6/3 even though WhoooaaaBUNDY couldn’t make it. I think clp couldn’t make the 10th. Both dates are fine with me though, and I’d just assume we get as many people out as possible. The happy hour in DC was a fun time and it was great to meet new friends. It sounds as though we should plan for later in the evening at Howl at the Moon that way we may get a chance to meet La Miraflorina. Maybe 7:30PM or so as a start time? I checked on their web site (http://www.howlatthemoon.com/index.htm) and if you get there before 8:00PM cover is less and there are drink specials. Bring significant others!

So what date is everyone thinking?
Just to clarify I will be getting married in 9 days..well 8 now...i put that she was my "almost wife"...i guess i could have just put fiancee, but the "almost wife" sounds a little closer to home.....the bbq idea would be awesome at your new home, bundy. I am still jealous all of you get to keep hanging out. I'll have to catch up when i return.

it turns out that the better day is not june 3rd for me, but actually the 10th. unless we can do way later on the 3rd....

sorry for the confusion, but yeah my official vote is june 10th, whatever time.

So let’s hear it for June 10th at Howl at the Moon! Who’s all coming out?

oh yeah! high-five, clp.

june 10th, i'm in.

Hey all,

I'm not too big on posting, but for some reason decided to check the thread tonight. Do you mind if I meet up with you on the 10th? I'd love to meet some future classmates... clp- i know we were suppose to meet up before, I guess we'll finally get around to it.

Thanks, I'll actually check back now.

Hey Everyone.. I just joined this SDN thing and have 2 quick questions...Does anyone know what what time class begins and ends every day? And do we basically begin class the week after orientation?

On another note, I know that there area a lot of textbooks listed, but I talked with someone who graduated last year and he said that you don't necessarily need to buy all of the books. He said you could tell when you got to the class whether or not you would need it. Apparently every student gets paired up w/ a big brother or sister who gives you all of their old notes, tests, etc. and basically shows you the ropes around the school. Between your new notes and what they give you, often times this is sufficient to do well on the tests.

When are people planning to move to Bmore? I live in N. Va and was thinking about moving up a week or 2 before orientation to check out the town, go out, and meet some people before school starts. What are everyone else's plans?

TERPDDS said:
Hey all,

I'm not too big on posting, but for some reason decided to check the thread tonight. Do you mind if I meet up with you on the 10th? I'd love to meet some future classmates... clp- i know we were suppose to meet up before, I guess we'll finally get around to it.

Thanks, I'll actually check back now.

Hi TERPDDS,

The more the merrier! Please come out on the 10th it’s a great way to meet future classmates. If there are any classmates you know who do not post please be sure to invite them also. Finally spouses and/or significant others are welcome!

pfunk84 said:
Hey Everyone.. I just joined this SDN thing and have 2 quick questions...Does anyone know what what time class begins and ends every day? And do we basically begin class the week after orientation?

On another note, I know that there area a lot of textbooks listed, but I talked with someone who graduated last year and he said that you don't necessarily need to buy all of the books. He said you could tell when you got to the class whether or not you would need it. Apparently every student gets paired up w/ a big brother or sister who gives you all of their old notes, tests, etc. and basically shows you the ropes around the school. Between your new notes and what they give you, often times this is sufficient to do well on the tests.

When are people planning to move to Bmore? I live in N. Va and was thinking about moving up a week or 2 before orientation to check out the town, go out, and meet some people before school starts. What are everyone else's plans?

Based on last years schedule it looks like 8-5 Monday through Friday. About an hour for lunch each day and up to two days a week where classes end at 1 (I suspect the remaining time is spent in lab or library). However, with the “new” curriculum it’s any ones guess. I believe classes begin immediately following orientation. I’m not exactly certain when I’m moving up probably by the beginning of July.

Awwwwww, you guys are killing me! I don't think I'll be able to make it on the 10th... There's a slight possibility, but it looks pretty bad right now. Is anyone still up for the 3rd or will I have to wait even longer go meet you guys?!

Or here's a thought... what about the 17th??? That way maybe both WhooooaBUNDY and I can make it...

pfunk84 said:

For the first year class this year, classes went from 8-5 Monday, Wednesday, Friday, and 8-1 on Tuesdays and Thursdays. Since they're moving lunch to 12 pm instead of 1 pm starting next year, I'm not sure what they'll do, but you should get two half days a week for independent study unless they change things. From what I remember, Fridays rarely go all the way until 5 pm - they usually end at 4 pm, or earlier. Not always though.

DO NOT buy all the textbooks. Trust me, you don't need a lot of them. Two right off the bat that I can tell you are an utter waste (unless they change things drastically for you guys) are the Micro book and the Biomaterials book. I'm not telling you this as someone who barely passed my classes. I'd wait until classes start, and then check with the second years about which ones are useful.

One book you should definitely buy: Netter's Atlas of Anatomy. Also, if Lippincott's Biochem is still on your textbook list (since you won't have a biochem class per se), it's a good buy since it's cheap and it'll probably be a good reference for the board exams. If Dr. Bashirelahi teaches any lectures for you guys, you'll for sure need the Lippincott book. Besides those two, there's only one other book I felt I truly got a lot out of (the neuro book).

When it comes down to it, for almost every class, the professors' powerpoints and old tests are the key. For some classes old notes, all on computer, are key. Like you said though, your big brother or sister will be able to help orient you.

ok i am still voting for the 10th, but can do the 17th as well if need be.... lets get this sorted though so we can see who all can come

Either date works ok for me. I realize there is going to be no good date for everyone so we need to just nail one down. Let’s get a general consensus for the next few days and then decide.

i still prefer the 10th, i'm moving all of my furniture up the weekend of the 17th, but i'll find a way to swing by if the 17th is a better option to get some others involved.

alright, let's go with an official poll: yay or nay or ok....

1. june 3rd - nay
2. june 10th - yay
3. june 17th - ok

Here is a round of applause for being so helpful. I've been panicking wondering how much all those books would cost. Good thing I kept my biochem book. that thing is massive but awesome. Thanks again.

Typo said:
For the first year class this year, classes went from 8-5 Monday, Wednesday, Friday, and 8-1 on Tuesdays and Thursdays. Since they're moving lunch to 12 pm instead of 1 pm starting next year, I'm not sure what they'll do, but you should get two half days a week for independent study unless they change things. From what I remember, Fridays rarely go all the way until 5 pm - they usually end at 4 pm, or earlier. Not always though.

DO NOT buy all the textbooks. Trust me, you don't need a lot of them. Two right off the bat that I can tell you are an utter waste (unless they change things drastically for you guys) are the Micro book and the Biomaterials book. I'm not telling you this as someone who barely passed my classes. I'd wait until classes start, and then check with the second years about which ones are useful.

One book you should definitely buy: Netter's Atlas of Anatomy. Also, if Lippincott's Biochem is still on your textbook list (since you won't have a biochem class per se), it's a good buy since it's cheap and it'll probably be a good reference for the board exams. If Dr. Bashirelahi teaches any lectures for you guys, you'll for sure need the Lippincott book. Besides those two, there's only one other book I felt I truly got a lot out of (the neuro book).

When it comes down to it, for almost every class, the professors' powerpoints and old tests are the key. For some classes old notes, all on computer, are key. Like you said though, your big brother or sister will be able to help orient you.

clp said:
alright, let's go with an official poll: yay or nay or ok....

1. june 3rd - nay
2. june 10th - yay
3. june 17th - ok

1. june 3rd - ok
2. june 10th - nay
3. june 17th - yay

they decided to bogart my perkins loan ... better check and see if your loans are still intact, fin aid told me they didn't get the $ they were expecting. sigh ...