~~University of Maryland c/o 2010~~

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
jaerob said:
For those who are experienced with laptops, how helpful is it to buy an extra battery??

The only time I wished I had an extra battery was when we were without power for 3 weeks after hurricane Wilma. Other than that, I've never needed one.

My battery lasts approx. 3.5 hours and I doubt we'll ever be away from an electrical outlet for longer than that in dental school. I assume the new building has hookups everywhere... as well as the library...

Does anyone know if we're going to have wireless internet access in the new building? I assume we are...

Members don't see this ad.

La Miraflorina said:
The only time I wished I had an extra battery was when we were without power for 3 weeks after hurricane Wilma. Other than that, I've never needed one.

My battery lasts approx. 3.5 hours and I doubt we'll ever be away from an electrical outlet for longer than that in dental school. I assume the new building has hookups everywhere... as well as the library...

Does anyone know if we're going to have wireless internet access in the new building? I assume we are...

Cool. Thanks for the help :) I'd be surprised if we didn't have wireless.

does anyone know how big our class is?

Members don't see this ad :)
pfunk84 said:
does anyone know how big our class is?

There should be between 105 and 115 people in our class if I'm not mistaken. Please correct me if I am

mayoree said:
okay, who else besides me doesn't have the money to buy a laptop, find an apartment, move my stuff, and eat for the next month? I'm pinching my pennies so hard, I'm making sparks :(

I spoke with Dell the other day and they have a plan where you can order the computer but not pay till after the beginning of August (after financial aid arrives). Call them if you have questions.

Any more info on that plan? I've been on the phone with Dell for over 45 minutes now trying to put my order in, and they think I'm making that up.

Did anyone find out if this is true or no?

Gargamel said:
I spoke with Dell the other day and they have a plan where you can order the computer but not pay till after the beginning of August (after financial aid arrives). Call them if you have questions.

Yes I got that too. I think it's called a MyDell account. It's just a revolving credit account. They send you a bill within 30 days of purchase and you have about 20 days to pay it which means you can wait until the loans come in. Thank god cus I have no money rite now after paying for first month's rent on the apartment and moving expenses : (

See everyone soon!

That is exactly what I found. Just be certain to pay it off ASAP as the interest rate (if not paid in full by the due date) is around 25%.

I know they say "no opt out alternative", but the fact that we are ordering direct from dell suggests we are getting just a stock computer and then maybe once we get to school they'll install some stuff on it. So is anyone not want this dell and getting something different? those macs look pretty sweet but i guess i should just suck it up

I think we were always getting just a stock computer.

Im sure we will experience it quite a bit over the next four years. But I think this is one of those cases of suck it up and do as your told. I agree though the Macs are sweet! See you in a few weeks!

Class of 2010 In-State Non-Trads,

Where did you do your prereq work?

Thanks in advance.

Kane

Feel free to PM me on that. Gracias.

Members don't see this ad :)
Holy cow! I just talked to Dr. Meehan and they MIGHT have a spot for me off the wait list. Anyway, assuming I get in I'll have 3 weeks to move all my stuff from Seattle to Baltimore and find a place to live.

Anyway, I'm 27 and recently married so am not planning on doing the main university housing. Plus my wife just finished her master's and has plenty of connections in DC for jobs. Any thoughts on where to live? We're thinking of living somewhere outside of Baltimore on a MARC train line. Is that a good idea or is it best to live as close to school as possible?

Hey congrats KSDDS! When did you hear from Dr. Meehan. I'm still on the waiting list and not sure if I'll have any chance. thanks

KSDDS said:
Holy cow! I just talked to Dr. Meehan and they MIGHT have a spot for me off the wait list. Anyway, assuming I get in I'll have 3 weeks to move all my stuff from Seattle to Baltimore and find a place to live.

Anyway, I'm 27 and recently married so am not planning on doing the main university housing. Plus my wife just finished her master's and has plenty of connections in DC for jobs. Any thoughts on where to live? We're thinking of living somewhere outside of Baltimore on a MARC train line. Is that a good idea or is it best to live as close to school as possible?

mbell2 said:
Hey congrats KSDDS! When did you hear from Dr. Meehan. I'm still on the waiting list and not sure if I'll have any chance. thanks

I talked to her this morning. Its not a spot for sure as she is waiting on a decision from someone who might be changing their mind, but it sounds very promising. I should know within the next day or two. Good luck.

I am now officially in at Maryland! I must be the very very last person to get in. Ha. These next three weeks are going to be crazy for me, but I'll see you all in Baltimore.

KSDDS said:
I am now official in at Maryland! I must be the very very last person to get in. Ha. These next three weeks are going to be crazy for me, but I'll see you all in Baltimore.
congrats on getting in KSDDS. I finally am back from my extended honeymoon from florida, mexico, papau new guinea, and australia...phewww. I will be moving up to baltimore tuesday afternoon with a uhaul. I am asking if any guy will be available anytime from 3-8pm on tuesday for about an hour to help me move 2 couches, a bed/mattress, a dresser, and maybe 1 or 2 other things into my apt on the 14th floor (i have a loading dock scheduled from that time). My wife and I can manage everything else in the uhaul, but my wife thinks another guy will be more efficient with the big things. I know this is a big favor I am asking, so I will pay for your time. So, if anyone wants to help a fellow UMaryland Dental Student and SDNer Please PM me. I really appreciate whoever accepts this favor. Hope to see all of you soon.

hey guys i was just checking my financial aid, to see when I will have my money/when we need to pay for the fall. Anyway it looks like we get our money july 31st, though my stafford is not posted yet in that section. The bad news is (I am out of state) the tuition for fall is like 18,750 and "registration fees" for the fall are 5,000, while insurance is 1000. This seems to be a far cry from our estimates of about 35 k for yearly tuition, these registration fees where not accounted for as far as I know in the yearly breakdown. So does this mean our tuition is now around 47k (18,750*2 + 5000*2) a year instead of 35? Im hoping this is not the case and that these fees cover like our instruments and materials? Either way this seems far from our "estimate". uggghh

If you go into your SIMS web portal and sign in you can get information about financial aid as well as an official breakdown of where you will be digging that ominous debt hole. Out of the estimated ~$69k for this year, we are alloted about $15k for room and board andtransportation. That means that tuition, fees, etc is about $54k. Housing in Baltimore alone is that much a year when you consider that $700/month translates to $8400 for a 12 month lease; add in the cost of utilities and driving quite a ways to find a decent grocery store, and its not the prettiest picture. Tuition did hike this year those by about $2k. And the rest of the fees are for the 1st year only, so things will get better.

Joeybag said:
hey guys i was just checking my financial aid, to see when I will have my money/when we need to pay for the fall. Anyway it looks like we get our money july 31st, though my stafford is not posted yet in that section. The bad news is (I am out of state) the tuition for fall is like 18,750 and "registration fees" for the fall are 5,000, while insurance is 1000. This seems to be a far cry from our estimates of about 35 k for yearly tuition, these registration fees where not accounted for as far as I know in the yearly breakdown. So does this mean our tuition is now around 47k (18,750*2 + 5000*2) a year instead of 35? Im hoping this is not the case and that these fees cover like our instruments and materials? Either way this seems far from our "estimate". uggghh

Orientation is just one week away. Does anyone know if we are supposed to bring anything specific to the first day? Also, what is appropriate to wear on that first day - shirt & tie? casual? suit? speedo?

KSDDS said:
Orientation is just one week away. Does anyone know if we are supposed to bring anything specific to the first day? Also, what is appropriate to wear on that first day - shirt & tie? casual? suit? speedo?

Speedo?! :laugh: :laugh:

I'm guessing business casual... i.e. whatever it is we're normally supposed to wear to school. Does anyone know for sure? And when is that "promised" orientation schedule supposed to appear on our class page??

Oh, and is everyone now in Bmore???

I keep thinking of more questions:

Is anyone else having problems with the financial aid office being incredibly slow? My GradPlus loan was approved almost a month ago... my lender sent UMB the certification request on the 13th and when I spoke to financial aid today, they still have no record of having received it. I got some excuse about how if they sent it electronically (which they did) woman who processes those requests has to go in manually and update everything. The attitude I got was "she'll get to it when she gets to it."

Am I the only one who is not going to get money to live on until mid August or even later?????

La Miraflorina said:

I'm guessing business casual... i.e. whatever it is we're normally supposed to wear to school. Does anyone know for sure? And when is that "promised" orientation schedule supposed to appear on our class page??

Yeah, I've been waiting for that orientation schedule, too.. I guess it has to be up in the next 3 days? Hahaha. Yeah, I'm not too certain what to wear to orientation, either, but I'm guessing business casual would be a good bet.

Does anyone know where commuters are supposed to park during orientation? We can't even apply for parking permits till August 9th according to the letter I got from Parking/Commuter Services...

La Miraflorina said:

You're definitely safe with business casual. From what I can (vaguely) remember, that's what everyone wore the first day. The number of ties worn by guys will taper down in the coming months. A Speedo underneath will be fine too - you might want to take a dip in the pool on top of the new school in case there are any passes left.

Remind me to give you an update on my "DON'T BUY ANY BOOKS!!!" rant - it looks like they've changed up a few courses.

Typo said:
You're definitely safe with business casual. From what I can (vaguely) remember, that's what everyone wore the first day. The number of ties worn by guys will taper down in the coming months. A Speedo underneath will be fine too - you might want to take a dip in the pool on top of the new school in case there are any passes left.

Remind me to give you an update on my "DON'T BUY ANY BOOKS!!!" rant - it looks like they've changed up a few courses.

I've heard the "don't buy any books" thing from you and a 4th year, too... but since they changed up the curriculum is that still a safe bet? And for those of us who may want to buy books, is there a campus bookstore?? Or do we have to go out and find them all on our own? I found most on amazon.com but there's 1 or 2 that are out of stock...

what to do... what to do... :cool:

I'm wondering the same thing myself...I haven't bought any books yet...i have most of them bookmarked though....Anyone else lacking their TB test? I think I have to get that tomorrow...or can we wait for orientation? I know we can wait for the hepB vacc. until orientation, but not so sure about the TB. I might as well be safe and go do it tomorrow.

if anyone else has any insight on the book situation, that would be great. it seems like no secret that many of us would be wanting to buy books online, but if we all wait, then many will be outta luck.

as for the TB thing, i am getting it on monday at the student health place. i called them and they have some days with walk in hours. the shot costs 12 bucks, and then you have to go back to get it read. they said it was no problem to do it the week of orientation. just check on the hours for walk in appts.

who else is pumped? can't wait to meet everyone!

I'm going to post some stuff on my experience with books because it might be helpful to some of you. This is all just based on my experience, so don't come to lynch me if I'm wrong! Maybe I should remain anonymous, just in case. :p

Just a caveat: If they start getting their questions from some sort of test bank for certain courses for your year (which is a rumor going around), then you'll most likely need the book for that course. If they use a test bank for any course, it would be a major change from the way things worked for my year. The way that they ran things for us was like this: For each course you'll have several professors teaching, and each professor would write about 4-5 questions per lecture they taught (usually based on powerpoints or straight from old tests), and so the tests were all a compilation of a bunch of professor's own written questions. This is why studying powerpoints was way better, because each professor put what they thought was important on the powerpoint. I'd definitely try to find out if they're writing their own questions, or drawing them from a test bank.

There is a campus bookstore, but they never had any used books whenever I went there, so you'll be paying full price. I'd check out eBay and other auction sites if you want a good deal. I probably could have saved a bunch of money by doing that more often.

This is according to your textbook list:

Cell and Molecular Biology:
This is a new class and new textbook, so I can't say. Dr. Bashirelahi, who's running the course, was in charge of our biochem course last year, and that was the one course where you truly had to have the book. Even still, Dr. B was the only professor whose material you had to read the book for - the rest were straight powerpoints.

Microbiology and Immunology:
They've changed the required book for this class. Our book was almost completely useless (and I think I spent over $100 on it). Again, if they're using a test bank, chances are you'll need the book. For our micro course, though, all you needed to do was memorize the powerpoints and old tests.

Gross Anatomy:
For this course, definitely buy Netter's Atlas of Human Anatomy. The rest of the books are optional in my opinion. It looks like they've lumped histology into your anatomy course (histo was a separate course for us). The anatomy/histo courses are run by professors who are retiring after your year, and they've been running the show pretty much the same for the past 30-35 years. What you'll want to study for this course are the notes that were put together by some third years - two third year girls compiled AMAZING notes on all the lectures and sold them to our class for $10 a pop. They were worth way more than that! I'm sure they'll get passed around on a CD for your class. If you memorize their notes, you'll be in good shape for anatomy.

I spent $75 on the Essential Clinical Anatomy book, and barely cracked it open. I also spent a chunk of change on the Textbook of Head and Neck Anatomy, and still didn't get much use out of it. There are some good tables for the cranial nerves in that book, though.

I also bought most of the histology books, but Dr. Gartner tests straight from his lectures, so attend his lectures and take good notes and you won't need books. Dr. Gartner wrote the books for his course, so he IS the test bank.

Neuroscience:
The Purves neuroscience book was a good buy. If you get this one before anatomy, it'll help out when Dr. Meszler teaches you about the autonomic nervous system in that class. I also bought the Color Textbook of Histology, but NEVER used it once! The same third year girls compiled notes for this class as well - they weren't as useful as they were in anatomy, but they still helped.

Physiology:
This is an interesting one. Dr. Bennett, who runs the course, will tell you that you MUST buy and read the book. Here's my experience: I spent about $120 on the book, barely read it, studied powerpoints and old tests, and got an A.

Principles of Scientific Evidence:
DON'T BUY THIS BOOK. :)

Foundations of Clinical Dentistry:
This is your big fat course for the year - it was 9 credits for us. Here's my experience: I bought the Wheeler's and Fundamentals books, barely read them (I think for the first test maybe?), and still got an A. 2/3 of this course is graded based on your practical (hands-on) work - only 1/3 is didactic. Still, though, the didactic part is definitely important, but powerpoints and old tests were the way to go for our course.

For this class, the texts all directly apply to dental practice, so technically they could all be useful for you when you're practicing. Also, the "Diagnostics and Prevention" course is brand new, so I don't know for sure.

General Pathology:
You can get this book for cheap, and it's (somewhat) useful for the course, so you might as well buy it. I got mine for about $30.

Perspectives in Oral Health Care:
Don't buy.

Basic Science of Periodontal Disease:
New course director, and new book (I think). I didn't buy any books for perio and did well, though. The woman who's your course director tested from her powerpoints for us.

The Profession/Professionalism:
You need to read the BLS book, but you can check it out either at the dental school resource center or at the library. However, this one's a cheap book, and it's got timeless advice on saving lives, so I'd buy it. Don't buy the ethics book (that sounds kind of shady on my part, doesn't it? :p).

Radiology:
I spent a lot of time reading the book, but it seems like attending lectures and taking careful notes was the most important thing by far. Dr. Otis will assign you TONS of reading, so I guess it's a decent buy. This book is also required for second year.

Hopefully that helps - feel free to PM me if you've got any other questions.

You're awesome, Typo :) Thanks for all that!

thts for the advice! i went to the bookstore and simply balked at the number and price of the books...

does UMB have an athletics center- a gym of sorts?

Arusha said:
thts for the advice! i went to the bookstore and simply balked at the number and price of the books...

does UMB have an athletics center- a gym of sorts?

Yes, UMB does have an athletic center. It is located on the 10th floor of the Pratt Street Garage. I haven't been there yet so tell us how it is ;)

http://www.umaryland.edu/athleticcenter/

Typo said:
A Speedo underneath will be fine too - you might want to take a dip in the pool on top of the new school in case there are any passes left.
QUOTE]

??? Is there really a pool?

Can't wait to meet all of you guys on tuesday

whoah .. its quite an intimidating schedule! so im assuming all those are required classes?
are these the classes that last year's first years had to take? or are we the guinea pigs for new scheduling?

clp said:
since i asked the question, it's only fair to answer it: also representing the Big 10 - i'm coming from northwestern. and my roommate, also dental at UMD next year, is coming from penn state.

Hey clp, I was just scanning through the older messages on the thread and noticed you have a Penn State roommate. What is his/her name because I am also a Penn Stater and I'm curious to see if I know them. Thanks!

"Please bring your laptop with you on the first day of orientation."-From the welcome class of 2010 page......does anyone have a microsoft office cd i can borrow to install on my laptop? My laptop didn't come with Office on it and the dell people are giving me the run-around. If not I will play their game and eventually get it, but it might make it easier if someone has it on them. T-minus 35 hours...

berryfremont said:
"Please bring your laptop with you on the first day of orientation."-From the welcome class of 2010 page......does anyone have a microsoft office cd i can borrow to install on my laptop? My laptop didn't come with Office on it and the dell people are giving me the run-around. If not I will play their game and eventually get it, but it might make it easier if someone has it on them. T-minus 35 hours...

I just found this:

http://www.dental.umaryland.edu/student/faq/index.html

What about all the dental school software that was supposed to be installed? I don't see any on mine...

La Miraflorina said:
I keep thinking of more questions:

Is anyone else having problems with the financial aid office being incredibly slow? My GradPlus loan was approved almost a month ago... my lender sent UMB the certification request on the 13th and when I spoke to financial aid today, they still have no record of having received it. I got some excuse about how if they sent it electronically (which they did) woman who processes those requests has to go in manually and update everything. The attitude I got was "she'll get to it when she gets to it."

Am I the only one who is not going to get money to live on until mid August or even later?????

I called today and I won't get my GradPlus Loan until 8/18/06! I won't get my Stafford loans until Wed. Luckily, I am in-state so I will get some money from my Stafford loans. They are extremely slow!

I called today as well. No idea when I'll have any aid available and unfortunately, I'm out of state. I have no idea what's going on and they aren't exactly pleasant and forthcoming with their info. I wonder what the d-school will do if I tell them I have to leave because I'm homeless 'cause I can't pay August rent?
I noticed that our laptops don't seem to have any special software to them either. Why is this all happening now? :confused:

umd2010 said:
I called today and I won't get my GradPlus Loan until 8/18/06! I won't get my Stafford loans until Wed. Luckily, I am in-state so I will get some money from my Stafford loans. They are extremely slow!

Thanks for that link la mira, if anyone else needs office or norton they can go to the ground floor of the dental school, room GS15 in the back of the computer lab to get it installed. I assume we will be getting all the other software at orientation ?? I'm not too worried b.c. I don't think anyone else has any 'maryland software' installed either. I'll ask when i go there today