~~University of Maryland c/o 2010~~

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
La Miraflorina said:
1. june 3rd - ok
2. june 10th - nay
3. june 17th - yay

1. june 3rd - nay
2. june 10th - yay
3. june 17th - ok

should we be total nerds and assign values of 2,1,0 to yay,ok,nay respectively, and pick the highest talley after a few more have voted? leave it to dstudents to apply statistics to happy hour ... i'll resist the urge to open up excel.

Members don't see this ad.

WhoooaaaBUNDY said:
they decided to bogart my perkins loan ... better check and see if your loans are still intact, fin aid told me they didn't get the $ they were expecting. sigh ...

oh, i also hadn't actually accepted my loans yet, so that may have left me vulnerable ... i didn't want them springing up on my credit just yet. if anyone else lost anything, could you include whether the loan was already accepted or not? otherwise i'm going to have to replace about 3 doors i keep kicking for having not accepted the loans earlier.

WhoooaaaBUNDY said:
oh, i also hadn't actually accepted my loans yet, so that may have left me vulnerable ... i didn't want them springing up on my credit just yet. if anyone else lost anything, could you include whether the loan was already accepted or not? otherwise i'm going to have to replace about 3 doors i keep kicking for having not accepted the loans earlier.

Yea, I'm in the same boat. I was having trouble picking which lender I should use for my stafford loan.. any ideas??? I just decided to accept whatever else i had in my package now in case they decide to take away anything else. This does really suck...I could have used more subsidized money.

I also think that the email I received said that people who accepted may still have their loan amounts lowered or even have the money transfered to another type of lender. I should have accepted this thing a month ago when i got it....

Members don't see this ad :)
in my boredom, I've been going over the old academic calendar. Does anyone know whether we have a summer session D1 year? It doesn't say.

WhoooaaaBUNDY said:
... i'll resist the urge to open up excel.

:laugh:

Seriously guys... let's have some more votes and then just pick a date! (Not the 10th, though :D ;) )

ok i'm sorry to make things even more complicated, but would anyone prefer to have this next happy hour event on a friday night? say june 2nd or june 9th?

I guess my vote would have to be for the 17th. Getting up to Baltimore on a Friday night is nearly impossible for me. And it looks like the 17 might work at least ok for everyone. Any chance we can nail this one down?

Gargamel said:
I guess my vote would have to be for the 17th. Getting up to Baltimore on a Friday night is nearly impossible for me. And it looks like the 17 might work at least ok for everyone. Any chance we can nail this one down?

:thumbup: I'll be there... probably later than the rest of you, but I'll be there!

Gargamel said:

i'll be at the mercy of a fully loaded uhaul coming up from VA, but as soon as the thing is empty i'll be there if i'm able. i don't think i can make it for a friday until july.

One month from today!

:laugh: Yeah that’s what I meant

I thought you’d like to know that the academic calendar is posted on the BCDS web site.

Also, are we agreed on the 17th for the next happy hour? I’d like to e-mail the school and ask if they would e-mail the incoming students about this so we get greater coverage than SDN. I’m not certain they will be willing to but I figure it’s worth a try. Before I do that I want to nail down a date and time. Does 8:00PM or 8:30PM seem reasonable?

Members don't see this ad :)
oh my goodness, I just checked out the calendar. If D1 year is so short, D2 year is going to be crammed like hell! Anyone thinking they'll just take the boards that summer (2007)? I am.

Gargamel said:
I thought you’d like to know that the academic calendar is posted on the BCDS web site.

Also, are we agreed on the 17th for the next happy hour? I’d like to e-mail the school and ask if they would e-mail the incoming students about this so we get greater coverage than SDN. I’m not certain they will be willing to but I figure it’s worth a try. Before I do that I want to nail down a date and time. Does 8:00PM or 8:30PM seem reasonable?

I think the plan with the “new” curriculum is that we take the boards Summer 2007. It will be interesting to see how all the coursework gets fit it.

Gargamel said:

The 17th is good for me... I probably won't make it until about midnight, though. Will anyone still be around?!

while i'm excited for happy hour part 2, i think manby are getting a wee bit frustrated with all the confusion and plan-chaning. we all need to just bite the bullet and agree on a date/time. i think the suggestion to ask MD to forward the invite on to the whole class in an excellent one... and the more time we allow, the greater the turnout most likely.

again, the 10th is the best choice for me, but i'll go along with the 17th if that will make the most people the happiest ;)

We’ll I’m going to back peddle a bit on this one. It sounds like the 10th works best for most people. I don’t know about everyone else but there is little chance I’ll be out past midnight so let’s get a final consensus on this one. Who would be in for the 10th say around 7:30PM at Howl at the Moon?

i'm in! and gargamel, once again, thanks for getting this organized. let's get it straightened out so people can make plans accordingly :)

Gargamel said:
We’ll I’m going to back peddle a bit on this one. It sounds like the 10th works best for most people. I don’t know about everyone else but there is little chance I’ll be out past midnight so let’s get a final consensus on this one. Who would be in for the 10th say around 7:30PM at Howl at the Moon?

i'm in, that time/day is great for me.

so the schedule implies that we'll be off from may 16th to mid-august of 2007, yes? trying to decide whether to stay on with my job for the summer or not, might get complicated if we take the board over that summer as well though.

are we also expecting to be in the old building until the 'opening' on the 24th, or is that some sort of ceremonial day for the new building. it's hard not to be anxious to get in to the new digs.

could be wrong, (wouldn't be the first time), but i'm thinking that the "official" opening in october is ceremonial.... did you notice how close to UMD founder's day it was? i'm thinking they did that on purpose.

my guess is that we'll be in both buildings actually, as i'm sure the transition will take longer than anticipated. but who knows? the new digs are phenomenal though, and i can hardly wait :)

During the interview I remember hearing that they "strongly encourage" D1 students to participate in a research assistantship program during the summer between the first and second year. Which is cool with me especially since the top seven or so floors in the new building are brand new labs.

So is it on for this saturday night? I never got my vote in, but if it changes anything, I'd be cool with the 17th as well.

Is it too difficult for out-of-staters to get into U. of Maryland??? I'd LOVE to go there.

It looks like we’re on for Saturday! I can’t wait to see some familiar faces and meet new classmates. I called the school but not surprisingly they won’t help in making connections with those who are not on the forum. I can certainly understand that. I wouldn’t want them giving out my info or inviting me to a non-sanctioned event (way too much liability). But I figured it was worth a try. Please invite any one else you would like to come and by all means bring significant others! PM me for contact info if you like.

turtmd said:
Is it too difficult for out-of-staters to get into U. of Maryland??? I'd LOVE to go there.

It's not difficult from what I know. I believe roughly half of the class is out-of-state residents.

Yup, I'm from Michigan (Mid-West What?!!)

jaerob said:
It's not difficult from what I know. I believe roughly half of the class is out-of-state residents.

Hey all,

Earlier this week I applied for a Howl at the Moon Happy Hour Party where, if you win, you get free cover charge, drink specials, etc. I noted that I would want to win it for the 10th.

I did win...but for next week. It reads something like this:
Congratulations on being selected for a Guest Appreciation Party!! Your happy
hour party includes: 100 guests, no cover charge, free buffet, first 2 drinks
$1,and ½ price special drinks (domestic draft and bottled beer, house wine,
and rail cocktails) until 8. Happy hour begins at 5:00 on Friday and 5:30 on
Saturday

Your party date options are: June 16, 17, 23, 24!

I know we don't have anywhere near 100 ppl, and most of you are prolly banking on saturday, just thought I'd put it out there.

way to go!

i don't know about the rest of you, but i'm always up for a party and cheaper is always better :)

how about we pick another bar this saturday and do howl at the moon next saturday? just a thought...

There is a nice outdoor beach bar at Bay Cafe

2809 Boston St., Baltimore

Hey all,

Big change of plans for me:I WILL be able to meet you guys tomorrow night... early even... And next Saturday I'm still good to go, though much later.

I'd say we need to pick a place soon so there is no confusion. Bay Cafe sounds good and there's another place I've been dying to check out: Mosaic. It's in the same vicinity as Howl and everyone tells me it's a lot of fun. My vote would be to stay in the harbor/marketplace area because there are lots of bars around so if one doesn't seem that great we can always head to another nearby.

So everyone vote where you'd like to meet up tomorrow night:

Bay Cafe http://www.baycafeusa.com/index.html
Mosaic http://www.mosaic-lounge.com/home.htm
Howl at the Moon

And once we choose a place, how should we all meet up? Should one of us call and make a reservation under "Univ. of MD" so we know how to find each other?

not trying to be annoying here, but what's the deal??

gargamel - i vote you make a decision since you were so good at that the last time! :)

Does anyone know what the deal is with scrubs, lab coats, etc? Do we need them first year, and if so, are we supposed to get them from a certain store? They say dark blues and greens, but what does that mean if we can't wear navy? If anyone knows will you let me know? Thanks.

Ok Bay Cafe at 7:30PM. PM me for my contact info. No need for reservations. From what I've seen its a great outdoor bar and there is plenty of parking near by.

See you guys tomorrow

Gargamel said:
Ok Bay Cafe at 7:30PM. PM me for my contact info. No need for reservations. From what I've seen its a great outdoor bar and there is plenty of parking near by.

See you guys tomorrow

I'll be there ;) How will we all find each other?

Another successful BCDS class of 2010 meet and greet has come and gone. It was great to see CLP and her roommate (also a BCDS 2010 student) again and to meet TerpDDS and La Miraflorina. WhoooaaaBUNDY and others who couldn’t make this one were missed but I’m sure we’ll see them next time. It was a cool and breezy evening at Bay Café on the waterfront in Canton and the temperature forced us to move from the beach bar to the inside. Never the less I believe a good time was had by all. Around 11:00PM I could hardly stop yawning and had to drag my sorry old self home for some sleep (that’s what happens when you’re the “senior” (at least in age) member of the group). However, the rest of the bunch headed to Mosaic Lounge at the inner harbor for more drinks and fun! Hopefully we’ll get an update on how the rest of the night went! It will be exciting to finally meet everyone in August and hopefully we can get another happy hour or two in before classes start.

Gargamel said:
Another successful BCDS class of 2010 meet and greet has come and gone. It was great to see CLP and her roommate (also a BCDS 2010 student) again and to meet TerpDDS and La Miraflorina. WhoooaaaBUNDY and others who couldn’t make this one were missed but I’m sure we’ll see them next time. It was a cool and breezy evening at Bay Café on the waterfront in Canton and the temperature forced us to move from the beach bar to the inside. Never the less I believe a good time was had by all. Around 11:00PM I could hardly stop yawning and had to drag my sorry old self home for some sleep (that’s what happens when you’re the “senior” (at least in age) member of the group). However, the rest of the bunch headed to Mosaic Lounge at the inner harbor for more drinks and fun! Hopefully we’ll get an update on how the rest of the night went! It will be exciting to finally meet everyone in August and hopefully we can get another happy hour or two in before classes start.
just checking up on my sdners. I'm married now and just got back from mexico. I will be leaving again on tuesday to go out of the country once again for a month and will hopefully be up in maryland mid july. Sounds like everyone is getting along well at the happy hours..wish i was there. Adios

Gargamel said:

It was great to meet everyone: Gargamel and his wife, clp, TerpDDS and clp's roomate (SDN viewer, non-poster)! Gargamel, don't worry about being "senior"... I'm not too far behind ya!

Mosaic was fun :p Good music, good drinks (though a bit expensive) and quite a crowd. The whole power plant live complex is going to be a great place for the class of 2010 to hang out... provided we get a night off from studying once in a while!

Let's try to get another happy hour going. I wish there were some way to get the message out to more of our future classmates... Hey, those of you who don't yet live in the D.C./Baltimore area, when are you going to be moving? We could try to plan the next one for a date when more people will be in the area...

berryfremont said:
just checking up on my sdners. I'm married now and just got back from mexico. I will be leaving again on tuesday to go out of the country once again for a month and will hopefully be up in maryland mid july. Sounds like everyone is getting along well at the happy hours..wish i was there. Adios

CONGRATULATIONS! Hope you're enjoying your travels... Hopefully we'll have another happy hour when you're in town so we can meet you before school starts...

congrats berryfremont, between your long term vacation, new wife, and world cup i'm sure you're loving life.

sorry for flakin' out on happy hour on saturday, i would have loved to have been there. i got a little overextended with some tree removal, and couldn't bail on the people who had come over to help me out. this thing wouldn't quit.

glad to hear you guys had a great time, can't wait for the next chance to meet up!

with only 6 weeks of summer left, how many people have moved to Baltimore? Is anyone else trying to find an apartment blind (using faxes and praying that the pics are accurate?) Or is everyone being smart and taking a trip into the city? I'm in GA, so is the 12 hour drive worth it? Oh, and one more question: is anyone buying textbooks already (like on ebay) to save time and money?

WhoooaaaBUNDY said:
they decided to bogart my perkins loan ... better check and see if your loans are still intact, fin aid told me they didn't get the $ they were expecting. sigh ...
How did you all find out they decided not to give you your Perkins loan? ANd can they really do that?
Thanks

mayoree said:
with only 6 weeks of summer left, how many people have moved to Baltimore? Is anyone else trying to find an apartment blind (using faxes and praying that the pics are accurate?) Or is everyone being smart and taking a trip into the city? I'm in GA, so is the 12 hour drive worth it? Oh, and one more question: is anyone buying textbooks already (like on ebay) to save time and money?

You should either drive or fly up. There is nothing like seeing an apartment in person. You get to not only check out the actual apartment but also the rest of the building, staff and surrounding neighborhood.

Before I flew up to check out apartments, I knew every website and every picture by heart. I thought I knew exactly which apartment I wanted... but when I got here, I was shocked to see how small the apartment was and I knew instantly that I would not be comfortable in that neighborhood.

I looked at EVERY apartment complex within walking distance of school and I assure you, pictures and descriptions are very deceiving. PM me if you have questions about specific places...

dear all~
just thought i'd give a heads up that the umd website has been updated with computer into - go and check it out when you get a chance!!

p.s. gargamel...you definitely called the dell 620 ;)

It looks like a nice machine at an ok price. Who's is thinking about upgrading the monitor and memory.

okay, who else besides me doesn't have the money to buy a laptop, find an apartment, move my stuff, and eat for the next month? I'm pinching my pennies so hard, I'm making sparks :(

Gargamel said:
It looks like a nice machine at an ok price. Who's is thinking about upgrading the monitor and memory.

I'm thinking of upgrading the monitor, memory and hard drive. I just don't understand one thing:

In terms of memory I'm trying to decide between 1.0GB, DDR2-667 SDRAM 1 DIMM and the 2.0GB, DDR2-667 SDRAM, 2 DIMMS. Obviously 2GB is twice as big as 1GB but what exactly is the difference between 1 DIMM and 2 DIMMS?

Also, what about financial aid? We were originally alloted $2000 in our budgets for a laptop. If we choose to buy the computer as is at $1300, does that mean that the total amount we are allowed to borrow is reduced by $700? Or will we still receive the money and be able to use it for something else?

i'm no computer guru, but my understanding is that 1 DIMM vs 2 DIMMs refers to the actual slots available for the RAM memory...

p.s. i'm thinking of making similar upgrades but i think i'm going to purchase outside RAM rather than buy from Dell b/c its significantly cheaper. also, still debating on the hard drive size b/c i have an eternal HD and also we are getting this computer with a DVD burner so we could always burn things to dvd's if need be. 80 GB is still a substantial improvement from the drive i currently have.

For those who are experienced with laptops, how helpful is it to buy an extra battery??