~~University of Maryland c/o 2010~~

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Not to be Debbie Downer...wahhhh wahhhh, but this link shows you crime in the baltimore area. You can type in any adress or neighborhohod and itll show you crime in a 2 week span for up to a 1/2 mile radius. This should be helpful in deciding where to live/where to avoid etc., it may also really make you want to have your car garaged. http://141.157.54.34/bpdmaps/
I'm thinking a house in Fed Hill or maybe one of the nicer buildings near school I hear Redwood is nice? Anyone down for going in on 2 or 3 br? That'll give me some money to save on my glock

Members don't see this ad.

Joeybag said:
Not to be Debbie Downer...wahhhh wahhhh, but this link shows you crime in the baltimore area. You can type in any adress or neighborhohod and itll show you crime in a 2 week span for up to a 1/2 mile radius. This should be helpful in deciding where to live/where to avoid etc., it may also really make you want to have your car garaged. http://141.157.54.34/bpdmaps/
I'm thinking a house in Fed Hill or maybe one of the nicer buildings near school I hear Redwood is nice? Anyone down for going in on 2 or 3 br? That'll give me some money to save on my glock

:eek: Not too happy with what I saw on that site. :scared:

La Miraflorina said:
:eek: Not too happy with what I saw on that site. :scared:

yeah actually the police department doesnt report a lot of crimes or downgrades them to make the city look better. Dont walk alone at night and dont carry cash in your wallet. Also, guns cant hit you if you're running and zigzagging if you're more than 5 ft away. Good luck in baltimore! : )

Lol, it's really not that bad. The **** people get kicked out of the nice neighborhoods. The cops pick up the trash if it's lying or walking around at night.
Baltimore will be a nice city...someday.

Members don't see this ad :)
coolraz said:
yeah actually the police department doesnt report a lot of crimes or downgrades them to make the city look better.

Even better :(

Hey,
I was wondering if any of you can tell me what helped you make the decision to attend maryland. Especially if you are out of state and were accepted to your state school. I did LOVE the new building, but I guess I'm having a hard time coming to grips with the 70k out of state budget. Thanks.

lmmortal1 said:
Hey,
I was wondering if any of you can tell me what helped you make the decision to attend maryland. Especially if you are out of state and were accepted to your state school. I did LOVE the new building, but I guess I'm having a hard time coming to grips with the 70k out of state budget. Thanks.

I was accepted to the University of Michigan dental school, and it would have been in state for me. I liked the new building in MD, as well as the people and the faculty that I met. Also, my sister is a D2 at Michigan and she and I have been in school together for almost our entire lives. It was time to cut the umbilical cord. Plus she told me that at Michigan, the students have no sense of community; its pretty much everyone for themselves. Its been hard having to come to terms with leaving her, my boyfriend, and the in-state tuition behind, but in the long run I think it'll be worth it.

mayoree said:
I was accepted to the University of Michigan dental school, and it would have been in state for me. I liked the new building in MD, as well as the people and the faculty that I met. Also, my sister is a D2 at Michigan and she and I have been in school together for almost our entire lives. It was time to cut the umbilical cord. Plus she told me that at Michigan, the students have no sense of community; its pretty much everyone for themselves. Its been hard having to come to terms with leaving her, my boyfriend, and the in-state tuition behind, but in the long run I think it'll be worth it.

I have to agree. I spoke to more people about this decision. Everyone agrees, Maryland is a better fit for me and the money really will not mean much in the long run. I hope to see you all in a few months. Does anybody have any information on orientation or anything? I could really use a roomate for next year...

Got an email Friday afternoon! Better late then never right? So I was wondering where people were planning to live. I was looking at some of the places right by school. Want something on the nicer end (i.e. not a crap hole)...with all the usual amenities. Looked at the Sail Cloth Factory website. Seemed pretty nice. Living in DC right now and am coming up this weekend to take in an O's game and check out some places. Considering living by myself, but if there is an opportunity to live with a fellow dental student I will consider it.

I'm looking for a roommate too for next year so living expenses won't be so high. However, I'm not able to get up to Baltimore to look at places until the middle of May (after my undergrad graduation), so let me know what you think in terms of places to live. Glad you guys made the right choice! :) PM me if anybody is interested in having a roommate for next year.

lmmortal1 said:
I have to agree. I spoke to more people about this decision. Everyone agrees, Maryland is a better fit for me and the money really will not mean much in the long run. I hope to see you all in a few months. Does anybody have any information on orientation or anything? I could really use a roomate for next year...

Orientation begins August 1st :)

NoBraces said:
Orientation begins August 1st :)

August 1st is so early! Do you know if it's the entire week? I know that in previous years orientation was usually the second week of August.. I wonder why they made it so early this year.

Go Terps Bball!!

Members don't see this ad :)
jaerob said:
August 1st is so early! Do you know if it's the entire week? I know that in previous years orientation was usually the second week of August.. I wonder why they made it so early this year.

Yes, I know but here's what it says on the letter they sent me to remind me to write a check for my second deposit:

Shortly after the first of June, you will begin to receive a great deal of information to prepare you for the fall. At this time, we plan to begin orientation on August 1st, 2006. Please know that orientation is required, so you should plan to be settled in Baltimore by that date. The Office of Admissions is still your primary contact, so keep us notified of the address at which you wish to receive mail.

See you all in August :)

NoBraces said:
Yes, I know but here's what it says on the letter they sent me to remind me to write a check for my second deposit:

Shortly after the first of June, you will begin to receive a great deal of information to prepare you for the fall. At this time, we plan to begin orientation on August 1st, 2006. Please know that orientation is required, so you should plan to be settled in Baltimore by that date. The Office of Admissions is still your primary contact, so keep us notified of the address at which you wish to receive mail.

See you all in August :)

Haha, yes I know. I got that letter, too. I'm just not totally pleased it's so early :D

jaerob said:
Haha, yes I know. I got that letter, too. I'm just not totally pleased it's so early :D

Apparently 2nd deposits were due on the 1st of April; has anyone who hasn't gotten in heard back since then? The waiting game is a horrible feeling.

I dont get it. It seems like the post office loses everything for me from Maryland. I never got the august 1st letter or the reminder of the 2nd deposit (good thing i paid it already). SO, if anyone gets anything from them in the mail please let me know. Thanks

I heard from Maryland on March 31st and I interviewed sometime in Feb. So far I haven't gotten any papers from them, I don't even know how much I'll have to deposit since it is a later acceptance.

Does anyone know how we can find roomates? If someone is interested, please PM me. Just tell me a bit about yourself. I'm looking to live somewhere downtown..I figure it'll make the first two years easier.

I hope to see y'all in August.

berryfremont said:
I dont get it. It seems like the post office loses everything for me from Maryland. I never got the august 1st letter or the reminder of the 2nd deposit (good thing i paid it already). SO, if anyone gets anything from them in the mail please let me know. Thanks

I have received nearly everything by e-mail. Maybe they have the wrong address.

berryfremont said:

Check your junk email folder... a lot of their emails go directly there.

Most of their correspondence is via email... I think I only got one letter recently about the second deposit. Call the admissions office up and make sure they have your correct address!

anyone know the final count of how many are or will be in our class?

lmmortal1 said:
anyone else having trouble accessing the forum site?? I'm trying to find roomates...

http://dspub.umaryland.edu/index.php

Yup they are gone. I dunno why though. Also, the link is missing from the UMD website (it used to be under "current students"). Oh well, I hope they'll make a new one, that we'll all be able to access with our wonderful 2000$ laptops from dell that we're required to buy (which are actually worth 500$ lol)

I’m going to give them the benefit of the doubt on this one. Then new Latitude D620 dual core looks pretty nice. I could definitely see configuring it to $2000.

coolraz said:
Yup they are gone. I dunno why though. Also, the link is missing from the UMD website (it used to be under "current students"). Oh well, I hope they'll make a new one, that we'll all be able to access with our wonderful 2000$ laptops from dell that we're required to buy (which are actually worth 500$ lol)
I'm gonna have to say it's because of the software they are installing on them. Sux that they can't just let us pirate the software.

berryfremont said:
I'm gonna have to say it's because of the software they are installing on them. Sux that they can't just let us pirate the software.

Where did you guys find out about which laptop we're getting? I doubt I'll get any packets, seeing as how I just received my official acceptance papers on friday and mailed out my money today...

Gargamel said:
I’m going to give them the benefit of the doubt on this one. Then new Latitude D620 dual core looks pretty nice. I could definitely see configuring it to $2000.

What makes dual core so special? I just hope it's really light and has tonz of battery life and a really nice bright screen. And the software we get better be da bomb (like practice managment software!).

Anyway, for some good news, y'all hear that Nobel Biocarei s giving 2$ mil to UMD to expand the DDS implant curriculum (we'll get 3 free implants to place, I've heard). And UMD will be one of the few NobelGuide (that's the computer-coordinated implant placing technique, very cool) centers in the USA. Pretty exciting...

hey also wondering about where you heard what type of laptops we're receiveing.... was that just speculation or have you heard for real?

It’s just speculation. I know UMB and UMBC have been pushing the D610 to students for a few years now. The D610 has been superseded by the D620. So it stands to reason that’s what we’ll get.

I’ve talked with a few med school friends whose programs require the purchase of a specific computer. They say it’s actually quite nice since, at least at their schools, the IT departments have loner machines which they can swap your hard drive into if your machine fails. Low hassle is good.

Has anyone signed any leases yet for apt's in baltimore??? I think we have decided to find a place in baltimore for at least the first semester or two while my wife will be finishing up her last semester in nursing school. Then, we will find a place in the burbs when she moves up here. Anyone heard of charles towers (only one i have looked in to as of now) and if it is a good place?

berryfremont said:
Has anyone signed any leases yet for apt's in baltimore??? I think we have decided to find a place in baltimore for at least the first semester or two while my wife will be finishing up her last semester in nursing school. Then, we will find a place in the burbs when she moves up here. Anyone heard of charles towers (only one i have looked in to as of now) and if it is a good place?

BerryF, I moved into Charles Towers a week ago and I couldn't be happier. I looked at every apartment complex within walking distance of school and Charles Towers was by far the nicest and cheapest, too. All utilities are paid for and my apartment is HUGE. There's a small fitness room and a pool... laundry facilities in the basement of each tower and really nice staff. The parking garage is right under the building... and there's a doorway directly from the garage into the towers. AND... there is a free shuttle-bus provided by the towers which goes around Baltimore every morning and evening M-F. One of the stops is right near the dental school. So if you don't feel like driving you can take the shuttle. The only drawback to that is that the shuttle stops by the towers at 7:10am and gets to the dental school at 7:30am. So if you can get your a$$ up early enough, that would work out!

I also love the location. The neighborhood around the dental school is a bit shady... but the towers are right smack downtown where the nice office buildings are and they're also a short walk to the Harbor, which is the only nice place I've found so far.

I know I started a post a long time ago on apartments but never finished the list. If anyone has any questions at all about any of the apartments listed on the UMB housing website marked as within walking distance to school, I've looked at all of them... so let me know.

BTW, has anyone moved into Baltimore yet? Or am I the only one?!

My wife and I were up there on Saturday looking at places. I think we're going to settle in Canton. It’s a little further from the school but the neighborhood is really nice and safe. Plus it’s just a short walk to Fells for nightlife. We’re in DC now so we probably won’t move up till the summer

We have a contract on a house near Owings Mills, and settle on May 15. We'll also have an apartment outside of DC until June 30, so we'll be between the two until July. Feel free to pm me if anyone has any questions about the suburbs.

Any one who is local interested in doing a happy hour?

I am considering living in Columbia and was wondering if anyone has looked at places there? I guess I'm concerned about the distance from Baltimore and also affordability. I haven't started the apartment/house search yet so any advice would be great. Thanks.

Gargamel said:
My wife and I were up there on Saturday looking at places. I think we're going to settle in Canton. It’s a little further from the school but the neighborhood is really nice and safe. Plus it’s just a short walk to Fells for nightlife. We’re in DC now so we probably won’t move up till the summer

Is Fells Point where all the nightlife is?

Amester said:
I am considering living in Columbia and was wondering if anyone has looked at places there? I guess I'm concerned about the distance from Baltimore and also affordability. I haven't started the apartment/house search yet so any advice would be great. Thanks.

I think I found it to be a bit more expensive than some of the other areas, probably due to proximity to DC. Very nice area though, Ellicott City as well.

Gargamel said:
Any one who is local interested in doing a happy hour?

yeah, that sounds like a good idea.

sounds like an excellent plan :)

Are you guys thinking DC or Baltimore. It seems most of us are in DC.

i'm in fairfax. i can pull off either though, depending on the timing.

i'm also in dc... but don't really care either way.

I'm in Baltimore... but it doesn't matter. DC is fine if that's closer for most of you.

Amester said:

You can check out apartments and hourse in the cities/towns in Baltimore County to the north: Cockeysville, Timonium, Lutherville, and Towson.

WhoooaaaBUNDY said:
I think I found it to be a bit more expensive than some of the other areas, probably due to proximity to DC. Very nice area though, Ellicott City as well.

Thanks for the info. I thought it might be more expensive than other areas, but I've heard that it's really nice and I guess I'm kind of use to spending nearly my entire income in rent since I've been living in the D.C. area for several years now! I'll definitely check out other areas though before I make a final decision. By the way, do you happen to know how far away Columbia is from the school? Thanks!

NoBraces said:
You can check out apartments and hourse in the cities/towns in Baltimore County to the north: Cockeysville, Timonium, Lutherville, and Towson.

Thanks! I definitely plan on checking out several areas around Baltimore city. I've heard Towson is really nice. Thanks again for the info!

Amester said:
Thanks for the info. I thought it might be more expensive than other areas, but I've heard that it's really nice and I guess I'm kind of use to spending nearly my entire income in rent since I've been living in the D.C. area for several years now! I'll definitely check out other areas though before I make a final decision. By the way, do you happen to know how far away Columbia is from the school? Thanks!

Hi Amester,

Columbia is about 18-20 miles from the dental school.

http://maps.google.com/maps?oi=map&q=Columbia,+MD

Another thing to keep in mind when you look for a place to live is the rush hour traffic in the morning, which starts in Baltimore around 7:30AM.

I hope this helps!

I seem to remember that there is a bus you can take from UMBC as well, if you didn't want to pay for parking or waste time driving when you can study or just relax (or nap). I'm not 100% sure about the times that it runs though, or if it is on a schedule, I think there is info on the dental school site somewhere.

Hunt Valley is a particularly nice area if you don't mind paying a little more for for rent or housing (probably comparable to Columbia). My real estate agent also said it will appreciate best, if you're looking to buy. The other benefit is the light rail, another way to skip out on sitting in traffic.