University of Kentucky Applicant '15

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Mine is also at 12:30. Luckily, I already have an interview suit, and I booked my hotel yesterday! I looked at flights but they were soooo expensive...I guess I'm going to make the 7 hour drive from PA now. Can't wait to meet you!

Members don't see this ad.

Yeah, I have no choice I'm not about to drive 14 hours :)

My mom is coming with me so altogether we're spending about $800 :(

This better be worth it!!! haha

Interview is in less than a week!

Any advice? (besides to relax =])
Is it open/closed file? Like will they ask my about my PCAT scores and such?
I read all of the Interview Feedback already. Any newer advice?

Does anyone know if they will get back to me about acceptance as they did for the early decision round since this is just regular applicants?

Too many questions!

Members don't see this ad :)
Interview is in less than a week!

Any advice? (besides to relax =])
Is it open/closed file? Like will they ask my about my PCAT scores and such?
I read all of the Interview Feedback already. Any newer advice?

Does anyone know if they will get back to me about acceptance as they did for the early decision round since this is just regular applicants?

Too many questions!

Advice: Don't be nervous and just be your self and be confident.

Closed File: They don't won't ask you about stuff from anything on your app that I know of. I think they have you recommendation letters but only read them like 5 minutes before you walk in the individual interview. My interviewers didn't ask me about anything on my letters or my app. They followed some question sheet they had.

I am confused about your last question about how they get back to you? What are you asking exactly?

Good luck!

Advice: Don't be nervous and just be your self and be confident.

Closed File: They don't won't ask you about stuff from anything on your app that I know of. I think they have you recommendation letters but only read them like 5 minutes before you walk in the individual interview. My interviewers didn't ask me about anything on my letters or my app. They followed some question sheet they had.

I am confused about your last question about how they get back to you? What are you asking exactly?

Good luck!

Thanks for the advice!

I was wondering how quickly they get back to you after your interview about being accepted or not. I know it was quick for the early decision, but I wasn't sure if that was because they were early decision people.

I know, at least for early decision, that it took about a week to give me a decision on my application but that was because a week later the PharmCAS application process would be rolling over from Early Decision Applicants to Regular Decision ones. I would like to say a week but now that you are in the Regular Applicant pool I'd say it will be a bit longer. I'd give it at least 2 weeks and at that point I'd e-mail someone over at the Pharmacy Admissions office or call them to get a time frame on a decision.

P.S. I hope your interview went well today Erin! How do you feel about your interviews?

I know, at least for early decision, that it took about a week to give me a decision on my application but that was because a week later the PharmCAS application process would be rolling over from Early Decision Applicants to Regular Decision ones. I would like to say a week but now that you are in the Regular Applicant pool I'd say it will be a bit longer. I'd give it at least 2 weeks and at that point I'd e-mail someone over at the Pharmacy Admissions office or call them to get a time frame on a decision.

P.S. I hope your interview went well today Erin! How do you feel about your interviews?

Hey! It went well I think. You were right; the people are really nice and laid back and are there to help you relax and get through the process. It was so cool to see the building; I really liked it. I'm at the airport now waiting for my flight back to the sunshine though lol. We'll see on December 6th if it went well or not haha

Nice meeting you all today. I think we all did fine and will be in class together next fall!

December 6th! I wish they would tell me sooner. I really dont want to send in a $500 check to Tennessee but it looks like I may have too :/

That building was AWESOME. You all make it home okay?

I actually just arrived at the airport in Charlotte, NC. won't be home until about 1AM haha. Sucks about that deposit though! Ya that building was great, I'm so excited about it :)

Members don't see this ad :)
I actually just arrived at the airport in Charlotte, NC. won't be home until about 1AM haha. Sucks about that deposit though! Ya that building was great, I'm so excited about it :)

The building is very impressive. UKs College of Pharmacy now contains the largest Pharmaceutical education building in the country and is state of the art in every way. They were ranked as the #5 Pharmacy school in the nation according to US News and World Report (I believe that is the correct name of the site) in 2008 and that was before the new building. I believe with this facility, it now puts Kentucky straight at the top.

Also don't fret too much about how you did in the interviews and about the acceptance letter that may come later. Just getting an invite to an interview means they recognize that you have the skills tand education to make it through Pharmacy school. If you don't get in to Kentucky, there will be plenty of other options for you.

Also just a question Erin, but why do you want to go to UK as opposed to Floridas? They have a great Pharm school and it is much closer to you from the looks of your current location.

UF is great, and I'm lucky to be at a school that has all of the facilities there. I want to go there, but the prospect of staying here for 8 years isn't so appealing. I love the Gator Nation, but if there is something better out there that wants me I have to consider it! It's going to a tough decision, especially since UK is 40k and UF would be 18k so I'll have to weigh out all of my options (granted I get an invite to UF... those haven't come out yet).

UNC is also my top choice, but they haven't gotten back to me yet...

Last edited:
Yeah, I made it back okay! Thanks for asking!

Soooo I have a LECOM Erie interview on the 30th, and i just got an email today from Thomas Jefferson for one on either the 11th or 18th of December.

I don't know what to do. This is all too much. I'm supposed to hear from Nova either first or second week of December and then UK on the 6th. I kind of want to hold out for Pitt too.

At this point, I almost hope I get thrown back in the mix for UK, just so I have extra time to sort things out. I loooovvved the school, but I'm not so sure how I felt about Lexington. :confused: Too contained for me.

Commence stressing. :scared:

I completely agree, although I know it would stress me even more to be put back into the pile. I'm just not happy at all about paying $1,000 to hold my spot and wait until 2011 for UF, UMD, and possibly UNC. Plus I have Nova next week and Colorado in January.

I also agree about not being sure about Lexington. Maybe I just wasn't there long enough to explore what it has to offer as a town.

As for your concerns about the city, there are plenty of things to do around town and plenty of good nightlife.

I don't want to get ahead of myself, but it's good to plan ahead.

How long does Kentucky give to turn in the deposit after acceptance?

I think it is two weeks. But they will almost always grant you an 'extension' for a valid reason.

Do you know anything about becoming a KY resident?
How easy is that to be qualified as a KY resident and get in-state tuition? Thanks.

Do you know anything about becoming a KY resident?
How easy is that to be qualified as a KY resident and get in-state tuition? Thanks.

I asked at the wrap up session of the interview day and they all said nearly impossible. One of the many criteria is that you canNOT have moved to Kentucky for education reasons. So that takes all of us out of the running.

erin, how did your Nova interview go?!

I think it went well!! I didn't really appreciate the waiting/wasting time away because of late faculty and whatever else lol.

But I like Kentucky better :) [6 more days!] :luck:

Still trying to figure out your school situation?? lol

Yeah seriously. At least UK told us a date to look forward to. Nova told me "The adcom will meet Dec. 17th, but the Dean makes the final decision. If he doesn't finish deciding by the 24th, we won't be able to let you know until January"

Greeeeat.

Oh man, that sucks. I'm supposed to hear this week or next week from them too! AH!

Congrats!!! I got rolled over until March :( Probably because my PCAT sucked. I am quite disappointed but at least I got in somewhere! Nice Job erin! Ill be going to the University of Tennessee until I hear from UK later

I got my acceptance email today too!!

Now, how do I get over the excitement and focus on finals??? :)

Accepted toooooo! Accepted to nova tooo! In the same email check. What do i doooo?!

Accepted toooooo! Accepted to nova tooo! In the same email check. What do i doooo?!

I personally liked the UK program much better than Nova's. But I also didn't like Ft. Lauderdale very much. And I want to get out of Florida lol.

And umm... less than a week to pay the deposit?! I thought we would get 2 weeks :(

Congrats!!! I got rolled over until March :( Probably because my PCAT sucked. I am quite disappointed but at least I got in somewhere! Nice Job erin! Ill be going to the University of Tennessee until I hear from UK later

I'm sorry to hear that :( :( :(

But at least you're going to Tennessee! Go Vols? It's hard for me to say because they're one of our rivals hahaha.

I know. I have never like the Vols sports teams but oh well, I'll always be a wildcat. Who knows, I may get accepted in the spring. Maybe they are waiting to see my Physics grades like they said since I'm only a Junior

I know. I have never like the Vols sports teams but oh well, I'll always be a wildcat. Who knows, I may get accepted in the spring. Maybe they are waiting to see my Physics grades like they said since I'm only a Junior

Sounds like we're in the same boat! God, i hate the waiting part... and Im pretty sure I won't get in since my PCAT is horrible! I got an interview for the Early Decision round and up until now, i got roll over till March. FML

My PCAT was a 65 lol. 80 percentile in biology and chemistry and a 70 something in english, but I got in the 40's on math and reading. hahaha!

Congratulations to those who have been accepted to the University of Kentucky College of Pharmacy! My name is Ryan. I've created this thread for networking purposes. Someone has also created a group "UK College of Pharmacy Class of 2015" on facebook. Hope to hear from some of you!

Is anyone else that has been accepted finding it hard to stay motivated in your current classes? Since I am used to working so hard to get A's now that I just need C's to finish out the year of pointless classes that pertain nothing to pharmacy I cannot find any motivation to study very hard. I don't think I will get any A's this semester unless a miracle happens during finals week. I have a 3.9 GPA up to this point but with my recent study habits my undergrad GPA may end much lower come May. Is anyone else feeling this way or am I just lazy?

Congratulations to those who have been accepted to the University of Kentucky College of Pharmacy! My name is Ryan. I've created this thread for networking purposes. Someone has also created a group "UK College of Pharmacy Class of 2015" on facebook. Hope to hear from some of you!

Woohoo!!!!

Sorry, had to do that.

I have been feeling the exact same way. Ever since I got accepted, I've found myself watching a whole lot more television and studying way less. I hope this isn't a sign of things to come, although I'm sure things will be different once pharmacy school actually starts up. I'm not at all looking forward to the spring semester, with absolutely no prerequisite classes left. You're definitely not lazy; join the club..

I've had somewhat the same experience. I have a final today in my Advanced Human Phys class. I did force myself to study over the weekend because recently we have studied blood pressure control and then the kidneys. A big part of what we studied was the Pharmacology of the various meds, so I kept reminding myself that I really needed to learn this stuff. In one of my electives I am still studying because I have a quiz this week and if I do well, I don't have to take the final. So, while the pressure of getting accepted into the program is off, I'm trying to find other reasons to motivate myself to study.

Next semester will be a different story. The only class I must take is Econ and I could care less about it.

I've had somewhat the same experience. I have a final today in my Advanced Human Phys class. I did force myself to study over the weekend because recently we have studied blood pressure control and then the kidneys. A big part of what we studied was the Pharmacology of the various meds, so I kept reminding myself that I really needed to learn this stuff. In one of my electives I am still studying because I have a quiz this week and if I do well, I don't have to take the final. So, while the pressure of getting accepted into the program is off, I'm trying to find other reasons to motivate myself to study.

Next semester will be a different story. The only class I must take is Econ and I could care less about it.

hillwilliam, I saw on another thread that you asked questions to your interviewers. If those were directed towards UK CoP, what did they say when you asked them about their 5 year plan?

hillwilliam, I saw on another thread that you asked questions to your interviewers. If those were directed towards UK CoP, what did they say when you asked them about their 5 year plan?

Yes, the five year question was directed towards UK. I complemented them on their impressive rankings and new facility. I then asked them what was their 5 year plan/vision. They said that it was a really good question and the new Dean and a commitee were working on it and would probably have it formalized in the January timeframe. Although they couldn't give me a specific answer, we ended up getting into a pretty good discussion.

When I asked them about the biggest challenge for rhe class of 2015, they replied, "getting a job". A little disheartening but not surprising. We then got into a lengthy discussion of the advantages of the UK program.

Yes, the five year question was directed towards UK. I complemented them on their impressive rankings and new facility. I then asked them what was their 5 year plan/vision. They said that it was a really good question and the new Dean and a commitee were working on it and would probably have it formalized in the January timeframe. Although they couldn't give me a specific answer, we ended up getting into a pretty good discussion.

When I asked them about the biggest challenge for rhe class of 2015, they replied, "getting a job". A little disheartening but not surprising. We then got into a lengthy discussion of the advantages of the UK program.

If you could PM me or write here about some of the specific things they said I would really appreciate it. Right now I'm having a really hard decision of going to UK which is a great school and paying 40k a year or staying here at UF where tuition is half that and it's still a good school.

Part of me wants to say UK all the way but if I were in your shoes I would probably stay in FL solely for financial reasons. I don't know much about Florida's pharmacy program but I am sure it is good and paying 40 grand a year just seems like a ton of debt that will take a while to get out of. Like I said though, if money isn't a big issue Lexington is great town and you can't beat the new pharmacy building.

Part of me wants to say UK all the way but if I were in your shoes I would probably stay in FL solely for financial reasons. I don't know much about Florida's pharmacy program but I am sure it is good and paying 40 grand a year just seems like a ton of debt that will take a while to get out of. Like I said though, if money isn't a big issue Lexington is great town and you can't beat the new pharmacy building.

Yea there are a lot of pros and cons to both sides. It's pretty much even at the moment. I'm worried it's going to have to come to a coin toss. I want to say that money doesn't matter when it comes to getting the best education as possible, but I'm naive.

UF is a good school but I'm so ready to get out of Gainesville. I like the smaller scale town feel of Lexington and really felt like the students get close to each other as classmates at UK (correct me if I'm wrong). At UF, no one ever goes to class because all the lectures are online (because of all the distance sites) and so the students don't know each other. Obviously, that's not the main concern to get to know your classmates but it's just something I lacked so much at UF undergrad and crave again.

Plus, 8 years in one place doesn't exactly scream "growth".

And you're right: that building is such a lure.

Wait so at UF pharm school all the classes are online too or just as an undergrad?
From what I have heard you basically make family with a lot of the classmates at UK. Sounds like a tough decision... Sounds like you really want to go to UK more but there is the big money deterrent of out of state which is completely legitimate. I don't know this as fact it's just an assumption but I doubt that going to UK or UF would initially land you jobs with significantly different salaries which is another thing to consider since it will be so much more expensive. I will add that I don't think I have ever really heard anything bad about UK pharm school and I have lived in Lex for the past 3 years and love it (minus traffic but luckily I rarely have to drive anywhere).

Wait so at UF pharm school all the classes are online too or just as an undergrad?
From what I have heard you basically make family with a lot of the classmates at UK. Sounds like a tough decision... Sounds like you really want to go to UK more but there is the big money deterrent of out of state which is completely legitimate. I don't know this as fact it's just an assumption but I doubt that going to UK or UF would initially land you jobs with significantly different salaries which is another thing to consider since it will be so much more expensive. I will add that I don't think I have ever really heard anything bad about UK pharm school and I have lived in Lex for the past 3 years and love it (minus traffic but luckily I rarely have to drive anywhere).

Yeah for UF pharm the lectures are taped and then go online.

Do you live close to UK? If I go there I really want to live walking distance but that's just houses right? It was weird to me to see that there were more houses than apartments near campus. Here it's all apartments, and the houses are ****.

How much did you walk around campus? I know of a lot of different apartments and condos that are near the pharm building. However, there are more houses directly surrounding the pharm building than apartments. It really depends on what you consider walking distance. If you want a really nice apartment that is a one minute walk to the building that may be a tough find. Just that I can think of off the top of my head there are probably 3 different decent apartment complexes that are about a 7-10 minute walk. I live probably 12-14 minutes away if walking and there are 3 other apartment complexes around mine. It really doesn't seem like that long of a walk though. I am pretty sure most days students are at the building most of the day and then either stay and study or go home and study so I doubt you will have to be making multiple trips back and forth each day.

It isn't like you would have to live so far you would have to drive to find a nice affordable place. There are plenty of places to live anywhere between 5-20 minute walks away that are nice and affordable. I usually ride a bike when it is warm out and it barely takes anytime to get to the pharm building from my place.

Plus you can find nice houses here it is just the fact that most of them hold 4-8 people so that could be hard to find suitable roommates coming from out of town.