University of Iowa

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Don't be intimidated by those with high gpa's etc.
because they interviewed 250 people, and will accept 150 people, and those that get waitlisted also have a good chance of getting in....therefore your chances are better than 50%, which means you're only competing with one other person for a seat...actually around 2/3 of a person for a seat, not even 1 whole person.
Don't worry your pretty little heads about it anymore. It's in the past, and most likely, you'll get in, in the end.

Members don't see this ad.

I don't think they accept 150..I think it is 108, and the maximum they've ever accepted was 112..but not more than that!!!

I'm not that worried about getting in.. like I am, but my stats are decent so I think I have a good chance.. I would just like to know already so that I can stop thinking about it (it's been about a month now since my interview)! It's the only place I applied and want to know if I'm going to get into pharmacy school this year. And yes, it's 108 that they accept.

Members don't see this ad :)
The dean said that the class size is 108, but they accept 150 because those that they accept end up choosing other schools...he said most of the time they end up using the entire waitlist as well.
That's what a lot of schools do---they over-accept then end up trimming down to thier normal class size.

Thanks for clarifying on the email aspect, and I agree the dean told us they accept around 40 more than the 108 because that is usually the number of people who end up going else where....

gluck to everyone waiting to hear back!

Anyone hear of people getting into Iowa today? Just wondering if they sent out any acceptances today...

I haven't got anything back yet. I got an email from UI this morning. BUt it is a post interview survey. How strange, I already did fill out one right after my interview on Feb 10th.:D

I haven't got anything back yet. I got an email from UI this morning. BUt it is a post interview survey. How strange, I already did fill out one right after my interview on Feb 10th.:D

same here....I'm going crazy!!!!!!!!

I just heard from Iowa!! I GOT IN!! :clap: I'm SO excited!

Members don't see this ad :)
I just heard from Iowa!! I GOT IN!! :clap: I'm SO excited!

Yayyyy!!! Congratulations!

Do they send out the acceptances only on Wednesdays? I heard they pull the names out at random and then review them.

I have no idea how they do it... but I got mine today so they go out on other days besides Wednesday. At least with the first round (last week) it seemed to be by GPA b/c everyone that I heard that got accepted had a 4.0 or close to it. I'm not sure how they're doing it after that...

I heard through email today and I interviewed on 2/17 also. It looks like they send out emails on Thursdays too... gluck to everyone waiting to hear back, I know the waiting part is the worst..!

R u all from UI prepharmacy? I haven 't heard back yet.

I haven't heard anything either. My hope is dwindling as the days go by..not from UI either but still thought I had a pretty good shot.:confused:

I haven't heard anything either. My hope is dwindling as the days go by..not from UI either but still thought I had a pretty good shot.:confused:

Is it bad that we haven't heard anything yet?

Is it bad that we haven't heard anything yet?

I don't think that it's bad yet since Iowa said that they randomly review completed applications. The associate dean basically told my interview group that each of us could be lucky and have our file pulled up a couple of weeks after our interviews, or we could be unlucky where our file doesn't get pulled up until six weeks after our interview.:eek:

For me, this Saturday will mark the fourth week after my interview so I expect to hear answer soon. I would worry just yet.:)

this saturday will be a month for me too....did you also interview at the U of MN. I am pretty sure I remember a guy for NE.

Does anyone know if Iowa sent out any acceptance emails today? I'm getting pretty impatient...:mad:

Does anyone know if Iowa sent out any acceptance emails today? I'm getting pretty impatient...:mad:

Spring Break is this week for UI. Doubt anyone will get a response till at least next Monday.

has anyone even gotten a rejection letter???? I called them this morning and they are there answering phones, so maybe we might just hear something today. I'm going crazy

has anyone even gotten a rejection letter???? I called them this morning and they are there answering phones, so maybe we might just hear something today. I'm going crazy

Just wondering...what did they say when you called?

I believe the rejection letters go out at the very end after all the seats have been confirmed ... I could be wrong.

I did call Dr. Kelly's office and he is out until Monday......so I don't think we will be hearing anything this week:mad:

I am in a dilema right now. I will get my master in organic chem this summer. if i got into the pharmacy school, that means i need to be busy at least for four more years.(total 12 years in college) and i will be almost 31. Is this age too old to have kids? My husband and I really want to start a family asap. so it might be difficult to have kids, right? Is there someone can have a family and still go to pharmacy school??

I am in a dilema right now. I will get my master in organic chem this summer. if i got into the pharmacy school, that means i need to be busy at least for four more years.(total 12 years in college) and i will be almost 31. Is this age too old to have kids? My husband and I really want to start a family asap. so it might be difficult to have kids, right? Is there someone can have a family and still go to pharmacy school??

NO you are not too old.....if I get in and start this fall, I will also be 31 when I finish. My husband is aware of this and is totally behind me. We can be the cool old ladies in the class;) ;)

NO you are not too old.....if I get in and start this fall, I will also be 31 when I finish. My husband is aware of this and is totally behind me. We can be the cool old ladies in the class;) ;)

HI, saradempsey
Have you heard from UI yet?? I haven't. I didn't do very well in the interview and my writting is not good either.

I'll join the club...if I get in I'll be 30 when I finish! I was worried I'd be sitting next to a bunch of kids. Looks like we're not so uncommon. Is this a second career for you guys?

I'll join the club...if I get in I'll be 30 when I finish! I was worried I'd be sitting next to a bunch of kids. Looks like we're not so uncommon. Is this a second career for you guys?

No, I've been working at this for awhile

I am on the U of Iowa pre-pharm mailing list and they sent out an update today saying that they are still reviewing applications and should complete the process within the next 6 weeks.....looks like the wait could be longer than I anticipated.

I am on the U of Iowa pre-pharm mailing list and they sent out an update today saying that they are still reviewing applications and should complete the process within the next 6 weeks.....looks like the wait could be longer than I anticipated.

NNNNNOOOOOO!!!!!!:eek: :eek:
I'm going to lose my mind

NNNNNOOOOOO!!!!!!:eek: :eek:
I'm going to lose my mind

Perhaps Iowa meant that they will be done with everyone in six weeks time. If that was the case, I would guess that they would be asking their alternates around that time as well as making final decisions on the late interviewers. I would doubt that we have to wait over three months for the results on our applications. At least, I hope not.......;)

congrats omnione! are you going to be going there in the fall??

Iowa is very awesome. I really like the students in at UI. UI is too cold for me and out-of-state tuition is very expensive, I'm currently leaning towards Florida.

congrats omnione! are you going to be going there in the fall??

I really don't know yet. Since I have three acceptances with deadlines soon (Creighton, Iowa, and Wingate), I'm probably not going to wait up for Shenandoah and LECOM-Erie to call me up for an intereview. I'll probably decline my interview to Drake too. So, Iowa is in my final three.

Wingate's deposit deadline is on Monday, so I have to decide by Saturday at the latest.

omnione, you're just racking up the acceptances! How exciting for you. I only wish you had been accepted at Auburn and were planning on turning it down, so there'd be an opening...... :p

All three places will be fine for you to bring your family. If you're an east-coast kind of guy, Wingate would be great because of the NC public school system. I envy you your position.

I got an email today saying I was accepted too!!! Woohoo ~ :D

:scared: This post makes my heart race. I interviewed on 2/10 and would really like to just know already. Have a strange feeling I'm gonna be rejected or wait listed.

I called Dean Kelly today. He's a real awesome guy.
He told me my application wasn't reviewed, and looked over my application and gave me his opinion, which, of course, was that he couldn't really say anything.
He said my pcat was good, and that my interview went well, but my GPA is low :(
I really wish I was at a community college now. :( All of my B's were borderline A's :(
Whatever is for the best though, I suppose.

I called Dean Kelly today. He's a real awesome guy.
He told me my application wasn't reviewed, and looked over my application and gave me his opinion, which, of course, was that he couldn't really say anything.
He said my pcat was good, and that my interview went well, but my GPA is low :(
I really wish I was at a community college now. :( All of my B's were borderline A's :(
Whatever is for the best though, I suppose.

Did he say that Iowa declined to review your application, or that Iowa hasn't reviewed your application yet? There's a big distinction between the two.:)