University of Iowa

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

saradempsey

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Has anyone heard from Iowa yet???

Members don't see this ad.

:( I am also waiting for IOWA, so Nervous...

No! I'm getting anxious. I hope we hear soon!

Members don't see this ad :)
did anyone get an email saying the application is currently being reviewed?
I did, but was assuming they send it to everyone.
(lol, i sent in my pharmcas on the 18th, and my supplemental the day before it was due :p )

yea, i got one of those too.

I got it when they received my application.. sometime in early December.

I am waiting too. From the web-site, the interview will be given in Feb and March. Maybe right now it is too early for them to make desicions?

Are you guys from iowa?

good luck!

Yea, I'm from Iowa. The pre-pharm advisor said we should know by late Jan. b/c that's when they start interviewing.. so hopefully any day now! Do you go to Iowa?

Nope, I am in ISU. Probably you have a better chance to go to UI pharmacy:)

I just got an email for an interview! My bday way yesterday - what a great present!

A man at my U of MN interview said he has a U of I interview. Not sure when he heard; our interview was on January 12th.

I was just offered an interview to U of Iowa today by Email. Feb 10 or 17th.

Members don't see this ad :)
I was just offered an interview to U of Iowa today by Email. Feb 10 or 17th.

If you don't mind me asking, what are your stats? I applied there too and I haven't heard anything.....starting to panic a little:scared:

If you don't mind me asking, what are your stats? I applied there too and I haven't heard anything.....starting to panic a little:scared:

2.9 science
3.2 cuml
84 PCAT
MS Education
3 years HS science teacher
6 months tech (both outpatient and compounding)

i heard today!!
3.7 GPA, 89 PCAT, 2 yrs experience

3.488 GPA
Sub-3.488 Science GPA (I forgot what it was, probably around 3.1)
No direct pharmacy experience yet, but I have worked in the hospital visiting with patients.
5th year in college getting a biochem major with math and psychology minors.
94 composite PCAT
Out of state resident living in Nebraska.

I sent in my secondary application near their deadline. I guess my slump and lack of true pharmacy experience didn't scare Iowa off. I plan to shadow at least one pharmacist before interviewing.

I got an interview invitation yesterday!!!
my stat:

Undergrad GPA: 3.5(overall), 3.8(science)
Graduate GPA: 3.9(include biological science), I am a MS in Organic Chem.
PCAT:98%, but writing just :(
Have job shadow in Iowa state Univ. health center pharmcy last semester

hopefully i can improve my writing a little bit before the interview.:)

I haven't heard anything yet also from IOWA! However, in my pharmcas, it says that a revision copy was mailed on the 16th!! I'm not sure..maybe after that then I'll hear from them!- hopefully :luck: :scared:

Hey guys!!!

How was the interview todaY???

anything special?

Give us some feedbacks!!!

Thanks.

I had my interview last weekend and one of the tour guides said she had like a 2.9 GPA and a 70 something PCAT (and she obviously was accepted)... so don't get discouraged!!

I had my interview last weekend and one of the tour guides said she had like a 2.9 GPA and a 70 something PCAT (and she obviously was accepted)... so don't get discouraged!!

thanks for the encouragment. :)
best of luck to you!

Hey guys,

For those who already went through the interview, do you remember how many questions they asked you(excluding the 2 questions for the essay)?

Thank you

I was probably asked about 10 or so.. I think it all depends on your interviewer and how the interview is going... The interviews last about 20-30 minutes... so if you take a long time to answer, you'll get asked less questions. Also, I think they probably decide what questions they'll ask you based on ones you've already answered b/c there were a few times where they'd lead off with "you mentioned before..." Most of the questions aren't too bad... only like two or so made me stress a little bit. They'll ask you a few lighter personal ones (about a book, movie, free time, etc...) and some harder ones having to do with situations that come up in a pharmacy setting. But, of course, this was just my experience. I talked to people after and everyone gets asked different questions...

thanks for the encouragment. :)
best of luck to you!

If I remember correctly, I believe the averages for the most recent class are ~3.5 and 84 PCAT, and there can be a good variation on both sides of the averages.

One of my tour guides that that he had a high PCAT, but a lower-than-average GPA, so it can be done! I got the impression that Iowa is looking for more of a well-rounded applicant holistically than a school where stats mean more.

when is the earliest time we can hear from UI?

when is the earliest time we can hear from UI?

They told me that my application could be reviewed 10 days to six weeks after my interview, which is dependant on the luck of the draw. Given that my interview was on the 17th, I could be waiting for a while.:(

They said that they spend 2-5 minutes on each application for the post-interview review, and they review applications in random groups. So, I hope they don't dwell on my shortcomings too much.:)

Wow... that sucks that it could take 6 weeks... the dean said at my interview that the first admissions committee meeting was Feb. 21st... (my interview was the 10th) so I've been compulsively checking my email since then.. I just want to know! I bet we won't hear anything til after the March 3rd interviews unless you had like a 4.0 and 95 PCAT... I'm so sick of this waiting... plus it's the only school I applied to so if I don't get in, I just want to know!

Wow... that sucks that it could take 6 weeks... the dean said at my interview that the first admissions committee meeting was Feb. 21st... (my interview was the 10th) so I've been compulsively checking my email since then.. I just want to know! I bet we won't hear anything til after the March 3rd interviews unless you had like a 4.0 and 95 PCAT... I'm so sick of this waiting... plus it's the only school I applied to so if I don't get in, I just want to know!
Yeah, the associate dean at my interview said that they would review your group's interviews first since they said that it takes some time to collate our application materials to include the computer essays and interview reports. So, I could be waiting a while myself.:oops:

I was wondering the same thing. the dean said the earliest we can hear from them is at the end of Feb. but I highly doubt someone who will hear from them before all the interview take place. since there will be 1/3 of the interviews on March. We might hear from them after all the people got their interview.

my interview didn't go very well. personally think. and i am international student and i was very bad at writting. Do you think my chance will be very low if I didn't do well on it?? just wondering.

I was wondering the same thing. the dean said the earliest we can hear from them is at the end of Feb. but I highly doubt someone who will hear from them before all the interview take place. since there will be 1/3 of the interviews on March. We might hear from them after all the people got their interview.

my interview didn't go very well. personally think. and i am international student and i was very bad at writting. Do you think my chance will be very low if I didn't do well on it?? just wondering.

Perhaps, but the associate dean did make the point that they would review our applications in groups, not the whole pool. Given that Iowa only interviewed 280 of their 700 applications and they take around 108 students, we already have our "foot in the door" just by getting an interview.

As for the written essay, Iowa said that was intended to be like an interview for people who aren't the best at verbal communication. Even for those who have great verbal communication skills, Iowa would still like to know if you can express yourself in an orderly manner. So, the point of the essay isn't so much to grade your command of the English language (though that is something you don't want to neglect). If you remember the specific questions, you'll remember that they were interview-like questions. As long as you at least got your point through, I would think that Iowa takes that into consideration.:)

At my interview, the dean talked about how the written essay wasn't anywhere as important as the actual interview.. and it was just to see what your actual writing style is like (since most people get a significant amount of help on their personal statement). I wouldn't worry too much about it... as long as you got your point across and they could understand what you were saying, I highly doubt they would reject you due to your writing. The most important things are going to be your grades and PCAT (which obviously got you to this point) and then the interview.

Ahh... on another note, I just want to know already! I thought picking the earliest date would be better for me... because I'd get it over with and possibly find out earlier than others... but it has just added more stress because I've had to think about it for over 2 weeks now!

Anyone get accepted to Iowa yet or hear of people getting accepted? Some emails have gone out... some people in my classes have gotten in. I'm freaking out now!

Had the interview today! I got to meet a member here on SDN too, that was awesome :)
the interview went really really well. SDN really helped me prepare.
The school is awesome. I loved it. The only thing I didn't like was once you step out of school grounds....it's just BLAHHHHH. When we got back to Chicago after the interview, everything looked so much prettier and nicer than when we left.

Had the interview today! I got to meet a member here on SDN too, that was awesome :)
the interview went really really well. SDN really helped me prepare.
The school is awesome. I loved it. The only thing I didn't like was once you step out of school grounds....it's just BLAHHHHH. When we got back to Chicago after the interview, everything looked so much prettier and nicer than when we left.

I thought the same thing about Iowa City apart from the university. The campus was great but the city seemed dead when I was driving around. I guess that I'm used to larger cities and that I'm a big city kind of guy.

I'll still consider Iowa should they accept me though.

I live in Iowa City now (and have lived in Iowa for the past 7 or so years) and you guys are right... Iowa isn't exactly the most scenic state... but as for Iowa City, it is definitely a college town and the university is the main attraction of the city. I don't know if you meant the city was dead as in no one out... but if you did, it's probably b/c it's a Sat. and cold weather. During the week and at nights (lots of bars downtown) and especially when the weather is nicer, there are always a ton of people out. So don't worry about it being boring if you decide to come here!

I live in Iowa City now (and have lived in Iowa for the past 7 or so years) and you guys are right... Iowa isn't exactly the most scenic state... but as for Iowa City, it is definitely a college town and the university is the main attraction of the city. I don't know if you meant the city was dead as in no one out... but if you did, it's probably b/c it's a Sat. and cold weather. During the week and at nights (lots of bars downtown) and especially when the weather is nicer, there are always a ton of people out. So don't worry about it being boring if you decide to come here!

The pharmacy students who took me on the tour told me that the bar crawls resemble Mardi Gras:D.

You're right about my statement; the lack of people in the streets was what I meant when I said that the city seemed "dead". I'm just used to a little more car traffic and buildings around even though Lincoln, Nebraska isn't a metropolis or anything like that.

The school's academic environment is still the most important factor for me, so if I don't come to Iowa, it won't be because of the city. I'm still waiting for an answer from them.:)

The pharmacy students who took me on the tour told me that the bar crawls resemble Mardi Gras:D.

You're right about my statement; the lack of people in the streets was what I meant when I said that the city seemed "dead". I'm just used to a little more car traffic and buildings around even though Lincoln, Nebraska isn't a metropolis or anything like that.

The school's academic environment is still the most important factor for me, so if I don't come to Iowa, it won't be because of the city. I'm still waiting for an answer from them.:)

I'm torn between if I want to go to Iowa or Midwestern CPG...on the one hand Iowa's got a great program...on the otherhand, my two year old neice is in AZ and I want to see her grow up.
I guess after I finish up the interviews and get the acceptance/rejection/waitlist letter, I'll be able to decide....

Is there anything else to do in Iowa besides going to bars? Any cool museums or pretty parks? How's the river, do people go there?

Iowa City is a great place, very beautiful in the sping and summer time. Endless things to do around town and surrounding Iowa areas. Big 10 atmosphere, ped-mall/downtown scene, wonderful people. Anyone ending up in Iowa City will be extremely happy.

still waiting.....

Though the bars are a big part of a lot of people's social lives, I've never gone to them (I'm not 21 yet... but you only have to be 19 to get in) and I still find stuff to do. Good restaurants, shopping downtown, mall in Coralville (5 mins away), there are a few museums, there's concerts... stuff that you would find in most cities. When the weather's nicer there's always a ton of people hanging out downtown out in the sun. There's also Coralville Lake, but I've never been there so I'm not sure what it's like. Plus, Des Moines is less than 2 hours away, which has pretty good shopping and restaurants, so it's not like you're in the middle of no where.

Though the bars are a big part of a lot of people's social lives, I've never gone to them (I'm not 21 yet... but you only have to be 19 to get in) and I still find stuff to do. Good restaurants, shopping downtown, mall in Coralville (5 mins away), there are a few museums, there's concerts... stuff that you would find in most cities. When the weather's nicer there's always a ton of people hanging out downtown out in the sun. There's also Coralville Lake, but I've never been there so I'm not sure what it's like. Plus, Des Moines is less than 2 hours away, which has pretty good shopping and restaurants, so it's not like you're in the middle of no where.

sounds good! And I guess if you're in such a rigorous program like pharmacy, you won't really have time for just hanging out....maybe the fact that there's not too much to do (compared to other cities) is an incentive to actually study :)

How important is the national ranking of the college to you guys? I know it's amongst the best in the country, but if you had to choose between two schools, one of which ranked much higher than the other, would you choose it only because of its rank?

Yea.. I spend so much time studying already that when I get free time, I just want to relax!!

As for rank, I don't really think it's that important. The most important thing I think is how you fit into the school. If you hate the campus, the city, or the overall atmosphere, you probably don't want to spend the next 3-4 years there. Of course, if the school is known to have a really bad repuatation, I may take that into considersation... but overall rank isn't that important to me (of course you don't want to say this when you're interviewing... they like to hear you know it's a good school, haha).

Anyone get accepted to Iowa yet or hear of people getting accepted? Some emails have gone out... some people in my classes have gotten in. I'm freaking out now!
We're getting letters via EMAIL?! I thought Dean Kelly said everything was snail mail from now on...

Really? He said that? I don't know then... I could've swore at the interview that he said email.. and also the tour guides said email b/c they were disappointed b/c they wanted some fancy letter in the mail. I hope it's not regular mail... b/c that only comes once a day and once it comes the hope is lost for the day! At least w/ email you have all day to sit there and check it, haha.

Really? He said that? I don't know then... I could've swore at the interview that he said email.. and also the tour guides said email b/c they were disappointed b/c they wanted some fancy letter in the mail. I hope it's not regular mail... b/c that only comes once a day and once it comes the hope is lost for the day! At least w/ email you have all day to sit there and check it, haha.

Dean Kelly did say that we would receive notification via email first regarding our admission status. (Just because that would be the quickest.) But a real official letter would follow in the mail. So, we can keep our eyes out for both! :luck:

Hi!
I heard from P1 students that were interviewing that some people got in already!the top ones with with 4.0, high PCAT, 5 on interview...
and I think the Dean said that every wednesday they gonna sent out emails for acceptance/rejection.
I got my interview last saturday, I was surprised to see so many out of state students.
If someone got in already, let us know!

I've heard of people getting in already in some of my classes... it scares me! My interview was the 10th.. maybe I'll find out tomorrow!! I hope so.

That Wednesday thing would make sense.. I know someone who got in last Wed. He had a 4.0 and like a 93 or something PCAT.