University of Illinois Class of 2013!!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Hey guys. My landlord is looking to sell his Queen sized bed to anyone that needs it going to UIC. Here's what he has to say about it:

A cool, eco-friendly, platform bed from Crate and Barrel 2. No headboard. mattress is firm and is a pillow-top mattress.

Tatami Bamboo Bed
• Base is iron with gunmetal powdercoat
• 32 slats per bed for support
• Use with mattress only

I bought the frame for $399 and the mattress for $399 in May 2008. Used it until August 2008 when it became the spare bedrooms. Not much useage at all out of it, but my fiance moved in and she liked her bed much more. It's yours for $300 if you'd like, I'll even move it in for you when the time comes.

His contact email is: [email protected] if you so wish to buy it.

Members don't see this ad.

Hi Lucy, Thanks for the response to my post! I'm still researching the areas surrounding the campus (<10-15 min walking distance), but I think its too soon for me to move on anything. I'm coming from California and know nothing about Chicago. It would be really helpful if you, or anyone else, could shed some light on how the rental market tends to behave in the summer.

If its anything like the college housing patterns I have seen, all the good places are snapped up at the start of summer, and sublet to summer students until Fall starts after which they move-in for the Fall term. But trying to find a place just prior to school starting leaves only slim pickings...

Yeah, you're right - a lot of places are sublet to students who renew. However, with my experience, it's not that hard to find a good apartment with an August lease date. Keep in mind that since we're near downtown Chicago, the people who sublet are often non-students or students from other universities who found a temporary summer job in the city.

It's always good to look early though. You can contact the real estate agencies I mentioned and explain your situation. If you "bug" them enough, they'll remember you and when something does open up, you'll be one of the first people they contact. That's how I got my apartment this year :laugh:

Hey guys. I've had my award letter for about a couple of weeks now. What further do I need to do? Have you guys signed anything? Done the online interview?

I'm new to loans, so this is my first time going through all of this. Do I need to wait until the school posts the "official" award letter once they have tuition locked?

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey guys. I've had my award letter for about a couple of weeks now. What further do I need to do? Have you guys signed anything? Done the online interview?

I'm new to loans, so this is my first time going through all of this. Do I need to wait until the school posts the "official" award letter once they have tuition locked?

I called the financial aid office and they said we don't have to sign or do anything at the moment.

Hey,

Does anybody have or know of any links or previous threads they know about that details what med students currently at UIC have to say about the school. I just want to get a better feel about what its like to goto the school.

Thanks

Hey,

Does anybody have or know of any links or previous threads they know about that details what med students currently at UIC have to say about the school. I just want to get a better feel about what its like to goto the school.

Thanks

http://www.amsa.org/premed/medsurvey/
I used this to compare schools, but there is a small sample size so it might not be completely accurate.

Congrats to the acceptees!
I'm an M1 headed to Peoria next year, so feel free to pm me with any questions about your first year at Urbana-Champaign (if you are on the UPR track).

Good luck.:thumbup::luck:

Hey everyone,

Quick question for the UPR people out there. Would you say that living 2 miles away from campus is okay? (Opinions from current med students would be greatly appreciated, if at all possible).

Thanks!

Are you driving or taking the bus? I live about 2.3 miles from campus. It's not too bad by car(7-8 minutes w/o traffic, 15 if you catch a bunch of reds) but granted im used to being stuck in traffic for an hour or 2.

Anyone heard when the first day of M1 orientation is? Last year it started 8/11, Monday. I'm guessing it starts 8/10, Monday this year...

Members don't see this ad :)
Starting on a wednesday? Last year it was 5-days long plus a saturday event. Do you know if they are shortening the agenda this year?

Wrong. Last year it was four days (Monday-Thursday) and the White Coat Ceremony was on Saturday. This year it's three days; I'm not sure if the White Coat Ceremony will be part of those three or if it'll be on Saturday again.

Wrong. Last year it was four days (Monday-Thursday) and the White Coat Ceremony was on Saturday. This year it's three days; I'm not sure if the White Coat Ceremony will be part of those three or if it'll be on Saturday again.

Ok....so, when/how do we find out when the official dates are??

Ok....so, when/how do we find out when the official dates are??

Do you think the school is going to leave you hanging or something and just hope you show up to school? Be patient. The Office of Student Affairs (OSA) will start e-mailing you this summer (after admissions formally turns you over to them) with more information and little errands to do than you could possibly want.

Do you think the school is going to leave you hanging or something and just hope you show up to school? Be patient. The Office of Student Affairs (OSA) will start e-mailing you this summer (after admissions formally turns you over to them) with more information and little errands to do than you could possibly want.

k, thanks.

The reason why I ask is because I need to plan things prior.

You and everybody else. You'll find out in due course.

Ok, so the official orientation dates are as follows:

Before Aug. 12 - Take care of administrative tasks, such as registration/criminal background check/etc. You'll get more info in a packet that will come to you this summer.
August 12-August 13 - Orientation. A schedule of the day's events will be in the aforementioned packet.
August 14 - Free time. Spend this day with your family or exploring the city.
August 15 - White Coat Ceremony. Usually this is held in the morning and the actual time will be on a schedule that will be sent to you.

If you have any questions regarding orientation, please let me know. I'm actively involved in the planning process.

Congrats to all those who are attending UIC :D

Ok, so the official orientation dates are as follows:

Before Aug. 12 - Take care of administrative tasks, such as registration/criminal background check/etc. You'll get more info in a packet that will come to you this summer.
August 12-August 13 - Orientation. A schedule of the day's events will be in the aforementioned packet.
August 14 - Free time. Spend this day with your family or exploring the city.
August 15 - White Coat Ceremony. Usually this is held in the morning and the actual time will be on a schedule that will be sent to you.

If you have any questions regarding orientation, please let me know. I'm actively involved in the planning process.

Congrats to all those who are attending UIC :D

Hi Drew,

M1 Orientation for the Class of 2013 will be Wednesday, August 12 and Thursday, August 13. Friday will be an off day and the White Coat Ceremony will be Saturday morning, August 15th at the UIC Forum. Student will be asked to take care of some administrative details in advance on August 12th.

Hope to see you then.

Linda

Does anyone know if UIC does or will stream lectures online or have them available to download?

Does anyone know if UIC does or will stream lectures online or have them available to download?

I can't speak for the other campuses, but the Chicago campus does. We originally had them available on iTunes for download, however the Dean recently approved a new system that will hopefully be installed and operational by the fall. Either way, yes. :)

I can't speak for the other campuses, but the Chicago campus does. We originally had them available on iTunes for download, however the Dean recently approved a new system that will hopefully be installed and operational by the fall. Either way, yes. :)

Urbana's M1 experimented with podcasts for immunology lectures and may incorporate into more lectures next year.

Urbana's M2 has all lectures podcast but I'm not sure about Peoria/Rockford.

Hey everyone,

Quick question for the UPR people out there. Would you say that living 2 miles away from campus is okay? (Opinions from current med students would be greatly appreciated, if at all possible).

Thanks!

I live about 2 miles from campus over in Champaign and sometimes ride my bike. Other times take the bus.

Hey everyone, I've posted this before, but let me put myself out there again. I was assigned to Urbana/Rockford, but I petitioned for the Chicago campus, which I have yet to hear back on.

So I'm looking for 1 or 2 guy or girl roommates to live with either in Chicago or in Urbana. I'm female, 25 years old, clean, easygoing, friendly, like to cook, have no pets, do not smoke, and very considerate. I'm looking for anyone who can be a considerate roommate. I'm fine with pets. If in Chicago, I'd like to live near UIC in Tri-Taylor, UIC Village, United Center Park, West Loop, South Loop, Ukrainian Village, Wicker Park, or farthest Bucktown, Roscoe Village, Old Town. If in Urbana, I'd like to live anywhere close to a bus line that's pretty nice inside (a little goes a long way in Urbana). I've lived in both Urbana and Chicago before so I know both places well.

Right now, I've created a pool of people in the same situation where you were assigned to UPR but petitioned for Chicago. That way, since some of us might hear back in July, last-minute Chicagoers can room together and same for Urbana-ers. Please let me know if you're interested in joining this pool of people or interested in considering me as a potential roommate. Thanks!

I am headed to Urbana in the fall and staying there for four years. (MD) I was just wondering if there were any other married students out there. I know we are probably rare, but I was just curious about how many individuals in the class were married.

I'm still doing my virtual house-hunt for apartments from California...

Anyone know anything about the neighborhood of 727 S Ashland? (I'm looking at a place there now, but haven't seen it in person.)

neighborhood safety/ambiance, convenience (to school & public T), covered parking, noise & in-unit W/D are my top priorities...needs to be under $1500

I've been combing craigslist and talked to a few agents that came recommended, but would welcome any more help from people who know the area (RedVine, ZipMed, et al)
Thanks!

I am headed to Urbana in the fall and staying there for four years. (MD) I was just wondering if there were any other married students out there. I know we are probably rare, but I was just curious about how many individuals in the class were married.

Hey there, as of right now I'll be attending the Urbana-Rockford track in the Fall. (I am on a few waitlists so this may change!)

Anyway, I too am married! Seems like at UIC in general their aren't very many married students. If I end up going in the Fall we should plan a married students get together so our spouses can get to know each other.

like DrJD, I am in UIC Urbana-Peoria track, but this may change due to waitlists

I'm not planning on petitioning my track, I grew up in a small town in the midwest (though not in IL), and feel that Peoria is rather up my alley, so here are some questions

1) I have looked into on-campus housing options, and like the 3 apartment options, especially Orchard Downs since it would be nice to be near an arb, I like studying outside - given this, how late is too late to apply? I don't want to plonk down the $200 app fee if I end up getting pulled at a waitlist somewhere, but I don't want to be left out in the cold either if I end up in Urbana?
2) Is a car necessary first year? People have said the bus system is good and parking is hard - how much would you have to pay for parking near the med school?

Thanks.

like DrJD, I am in UIC Urbana-Peoria track, but this may change due to waitlists

I'm not planning on petitioning my track, I grew up in a small town in the midwest (though not in IL), and feel that Peoria is rather up my alley, so here are some questions

1) I have looked into on-campus housing options, and like the 3 apartment options, especially Orchard Downs since it would be nice to be near an arb, I like studying outside - given this, how late is too late to apply? I don't want to plonk down the $200 app fee if I end up getting pulled at a waitlist somewhere, but I don't want to be left out in the cold either if I end up in Urbana?
2) Is a car necessary first year? People have said the bus system is good and parking is hard - how much would you have to pay for parking near the med school?

Thanks.

On campus parking is indeed pricey. A quarter gets you a 20 minutes at the meter and most meters have a 2hour time limit.

Hey,

I am in med school in NY and am taking a shot in the dark that maybe a class of 2012er is still on SDN... If so, I'm going to be in Peoria for the summer and my plan was to work with a physician in the field I am interested in. However, as summer (quickly) approaches, my plans seem to be falling through. I was just wondering if anyone knew of a doctor that is doing research that I could try to get in contact with? Or any summer programs in the area that maybe have been advertised on your class list serve?

Any info would be greatly appreciated.

AND... CONGRATS TO THE NEW CLASS OF 2013! Welcome to Med School :)

Sorry, posted message then found the answer. Disregard this message.

Last edited:
I'm also married and I have 2 children; Urbana-Rockford track. The boys are pre-K and starting K this fall, so I am looking for a good catholic school that offers both...anyone know of any? According to the Peoria diocesan website, the catholic schools in the area are K and up. The only christian school I've found with both is asking nearly 700/month for just the pre-K tuition, and we pay 242 for both boys now. Otherwise I need a good public school if anyone knows one.

Anyone heard any more word about financial aid?

Hey,

I was wondering if anyone could let me know when health insurance coverage begins?

Thanks!

hey everyone,

i know its a little late for most people but i just got assigned to Chicago and I was wondering if anybody was needing a roommate for next year? hoping to get everything settled mid June at the latest :)

thanks!

Hey,

I was wondering if anyone could let me know when health insurance coverage begins?

Thanks!

It's effective the first day of orientation and lapses on the last day of finals. FYI, for those who don't want a full-time job over the summer, you can pay about $250 to extend the same insurance over the course of the M1-M2 summer. After M2, it continues because school is continuous.

I'm also married and I have 2 children; Urbana-Rockford track. The boys are pre-K and starting K this fall, so I am looking for a good catholic school that offers both...anyone know of any? According to the Peoria diocesan website, the catholic schools in the area are K and up. The only christian school I've found with both is asking nearly 700/month for just the pre-K tuition, and we pay 242 for both boys now. Otherwise I need a good public school if anyone knows one.

Hey! I'll be an M1 on my 2nd year (decompressed program) and will be in your class.

There are a few Catholic schools in Champaign-Urbana:
http://www.stmatt.net St. Matthews
http://www.holycrosselem.org/index.php Holy Cross

Rockford has quite a few - just check out the Rockford Diocese page. My husband and I did our pre-Cana in Rockford, but that's about all I know about that area!

Hope this helps!

Hey, also married here!

I think this year's M1 class had about 5-10 married students. Not many in a class of ~150.

Hey all!

I need a roommate for the Chicago campus! I'm an incoming M1, female and want to live within walking distance to UIC. PM me if you need a roommate! :)

It's effective the first day of orientation and lapses on the last day of finals. FYI, for those who don't want a full-time job over the summer, you can pay about $250 to extend the same insurance over the course of the M1-M2 summer. After M2, it continues because school is continuous.

Ah, thanks! That is helpful information.

Another question....

Obviously I'll be going to school in Illinois, but I will not be switching my permanent address to the Illinois address. Do I still need to change the license plate / license to Illinois or can I keep it as California?

Hey. Anyone know what day/time the white coat ceremony is for chicago campus students?

Obviously I'll be going to school in Illinois, but I will not be switching my permanent address to the Illinois address. Do I still need to change the license plate / license to Illinois or can I keep it as California?

As a student, you can leave it as-is.

Hey. Anyone know what day/time the white coat ceremony is for chicago campus students?

You'll get that information from OSA in a few weeks.

White Coat Ceremony is Aug. 15 in the morning. The exact time will be announced in a few weeks. :D

For you UPR bound folks, a fellow M1 created a facebook page titled:

"University of Illinois College of Medicine (Urbana, 2013, all tracks)"

If you have any questions or just want to get to know your future classmates, join and post! Francisca and I are happy to answer questions :)

Are there any downsides to living in SSR? I got my housing contract today and it says I have 10 days to decide if I want to live there or not.

Also, I am bringing my car to school for the purposes of grocery shopping and convenience. I was looking at the applications for parking and it says to write in my choices of lots. But I looked on the parking website and couldn't find a list of lots or where they're located. Can anyone provide some insight into what lots are closest to SSR and if I can be parked there 24 hours?

Thank you.

Hey guys, I'm in the UPR track currently, and am looking for a roommate in Urbana. I'm thinking about living at The Tower at Third, which has 2 bedroom apts. PM me if anybody is interested.