University of Illinois Class of 2016 (Chicago track)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

LadyBeryl

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Thought I'd get this thread started for UIC med students who will be at the Chicago campus.

Anyone go for open house or planning on going for second look?
If you know that you're going to UIC for sure (or have a strong feeling that you will) please fill free to post here. =)

I went for the open house today and I actually liked the on-campus housing options that I saw for graduate students. However, judging from older posts, living on-campus gets old fairly quickly. Anyone have an idea whether they'll live on campus or off campus?

At this point I'm thinking of living off campus but I have absolutely no clue where to look....
Any suggestions?

Members don't see this ad.

Hi LadyBeryl

I'm definitely going to UIC-COM. I currently live in the area and live off campus. I'm a bit far away but I'm used to the commute already. As for off-campus housing near school the areas that most of the med students stay in are usually in the neighborhoods called Greek Town, Ukranian Village, Pilsen (usually the most affordable) and along Roosevelt Road near the school. UIC has an off-campus housing site where you can view postings. But if you're coming to UIC for sure then I'd say that the best way to find housing in the area is to walk around and call. Those are usually the most affordable places and more willing to negotiate. You'll also get a feel for the neighborhood and its safety. I hope this helps!

Thanks for the tips ZealousOne! I feel like I should probably know this stuff since I'm from Chicago but I don't so I appreciate the advice. =)

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi, I'm applying for the UIC school this summer. Is there a way to select which campus you go to ? (Chicago vs Springfield/Rockford) Or is it selected for you?

Can you guys give me some suggestions of housing for Chicago campus?

I was accepted here and am going to attend. I just had some questions for students attending here?

1) What were the first year classes here like for you? What would you say are the most challenging and do you have any recommendations for first year students taking these classes?

2) How much STEP exam prep is offered/integrated into the curriculum, e.g., instructors making tests similar to the step 1 exam, and how well did UIC help prepare you for the step 1?

Thank you very much in advance :).